Anyone still remember when E3 used to be good and they showed off great games? What happened?

Anyone still remember when E3 used to be good and they showed off great games? What happened?

It became mainstream.

Time.
Time happened.

Polite sage.

Is there a way for a part of the industry to breakaway from the mainstream normalfag cancer? I thought indie games would accomplish that, but unfortunately that scene has become infested with nu-male SJW faggots who make "art games" about becoming a transvestite pervert.

do you even remember

You took off your nostalgia goggles

Well, there are still good games being made- just need to look harder for them.

We're all connected and have vaguely the same demand in quality, so we should be letting each other know when we find a rare gem.

It'll be like what happened to mainstream movies, eventually a thriving indie culture will make really good games for the true connoisseurs to enjoy.

Normal-fag cancer will keep going though, only the division between the two design philosophies, high-appeal vs. high-quality, will grow deeper.

It became a multi-billion dollar industry and now the cost of everything in it(For the AAA scene) is so high they can't take any risks and create anything interesting.

You gotta find the niches, like Devolver Digital and Destructive Creations. Those guys don't give a fuck.

Oh and the indie movie scene used to be filled with a bunch of pseudo-philosophicals who were just interested in showing something shocking rather than a good movie worth watching. The indie games scene grappling with politically motivated games is comparable to that.

Face it, SJWism is just a fad of the 2010s. Each era has their own countercultures, ours just happen to be especially shitty.

if you retards just played sim games like DCS World and Rouge System, or RTS games, then maybe you'd have fun.

But no, you idiots demand to remain on consoles. Not anyone's fault but yours really. There's still countless campaigns being made for freespace

Nothing.
This E3 was fucking awesome, we sure can't have enough threads about it.

This was one of the worst E3s ever mate.

Unfortunately, according to /gg/'s early investigations, what is allowed to become popular within indie circles in entirely controlled by SJW cunts who all scratch each other's backs and give each other favors. I doubt if the indie scene ever gets good again.

Games are struggling to be original.

Judaism happened to games.

Making a game has become too expensive and labour intensive.

It takes 50 million to make a triple A title now.

I mean I play niché JPN stuff from Falcom and weird indie titles. But I'm not delusional: folks want Uncharted and Destiny.

Would you dare to make something original when you're entire studio's future rides on it?

normalfags started to play games
Internet and massive multiplayer games happened too

It still does. Take off your nostalgia glasses.

The shitty world of cheap CGI happened now rely on it to get spectacles

2007 happened.

It means we have to become a scene ourselfs, not that we have the dedication or money to do that.

this

This way of looking at things is the mark of someone who cannot process new cool shit.

I remember when the internet, video games and anime was at their peak of greatness in 2006.

2007 happened and shit went downhill fast.

You became a hipster

2007 happened.

But you dont, faggots here piratel everything. Who the hell wants that market, to spend months making a game and then have it be pirated because a random line triggered your autistic audience.

The internet happened

Back in the 90s you got your news about vidya from monthly rags and whatever Bill at EB Games had to say. E3 was a bigass showcase of shit you hadn't seen before, so it was worth watching/reading about. Nowadays, you can find out about a game days before any kind of official announcement and easily follow to-the-second minutiae for years until release, at which point there's no mystery or surprises.

That, and there's practically nothing exclusive to E3 anymore. With the proliferation of stuff like GDC, TGS, PAX, CES and other conventions, even an average gamer can get his hands on unreleased games that used to only be in the hands of industry insiders at E3.

Sadly not. Once something becomes big the damage has already been done. You just have to find joy where you can.

Translation: Social media happened. Ever since 2007 and the advent of social media gaming stopped being about video games and became a shitshow focused on how much pre-release buzz they can drum up.
And it's gotten to the point where I honestly suspect companies are deliberately censoring games just to get more social media attention for them. Honestly, how many more people know about Tokyo Mirage Sessions thanks to all the attention drawn to it's censorship? Thousands more I'd think and considering how shit it sold in Japan the more eyes on the game the better for them.

Social media ruined women, too.

Just kidding, they were always shit

All they need to sell 'games' now is a movie trailer and 'cinematic feel.'

If it wasn't for the controversy surrounding Rapelay, I never would have heard about it.

I don't pirate but my money doesn't go to (Western) mainstream shit.

Honestly IDGAF what Bethesda or Ubisoft does but shitposting is always fun.

They banned booth babes.

Indie games are an even worse cancer

As someone who has seen it myself, indie filmmaking still is filled with talentless hacks.

This is what happens when an entertainment medium gets big. You have big budget manufactured garbage on one end and meaningless pretentious cheap pap on the other.

What we need is the middle market of games back, where developers had just enough budget to create something worthwhile and publishers kept them on a leash while being hands off enough to allow for experimentation.

Remember when gaming magazines like EGM, Diehard Gamefan and even Lamepro would get so hype about E3 and do these huge, screenshot-laden spreads about it? Before the internet, that's how we geeks "watched" E3, through the magazines. Quartermann's column full of juicy rumors, Sushi-X doing fighting game reviews…that's when gamers ran the gaming industry since it was too new and too niche to have white shirt CEOs and back-slapping, degree-carrying, silver spoon swallowing shitbricks corrupting it out of the desire to be rich and famous.

Now gaming makes more than music or movies, so sharks have come for the fresh meat, and 80s/90s gamers like us are jaded fuckwits bitching about the good old days.

Welcome to adulthood. Fire up your emulators and let's forget all this shit happened.

They're pandering to a nonexistent market in the hopes of more profit on one end and casualizing in the hopes of increased sales. Double whammy of stupid shortsighted decisions.

Despite the sage, he's not wrong. Everything decays.

Every medium will have a fair share of those who work in it producing pure shit. It's just that when money gets involved the shits get bigger and bigger.

it really was the year we jumped to Berenstain, isn't it.

I pirate a lot of games, but the attitude I see here re: pirating seems really self-serving. It's like people are constantly looking for an excuse to "justify" pirating (oh it's published by this publisher I don't like even though they did nothing wrong with this particular game and I enjoy it, HAHA FUCK THEM PIRATED). Nothing wrong with pirating, but I don't understand why people are so desperate to justify it. If they want to have games for free, just have games for free.

same reason I go out of my way to pay full price to small companies I think are doing great work.
it's not looking for excuses, just deliberately not aiding shit people.

Completely agree this is literally nothing to discuss about it. The only noteworthy thing is crash is back but he got the spyro treatment and a shitty remaster. Even kojimas game left more questions than answers. There was no redeeming value elsewhere. Just shitty vr versions of existing games

ive never really been in to commercials so no i dont remember

It was 2001 if you go with that one archived website. 9/11 was the 'everything went to shit point', so it would make sense for the shift to happen right before then.

This will explain everything.

Jews, SJWs, and niggers

I remember when CES was the show for video game product announcements. E3 has had its ups and downs. Chances are there are as many teens now as hyped for this E3 as you were for '96-'97's E3.

While I won't argue that the industry hasn't declined overall, a big part of your disappointment is your own cynicism. Familiarity breeds contempt.

Is that when the Berenstain - Berenstein switch occurred?

I used to love reading different rags coverage of it. It was so fun and cool.

Now days I just watch a stream and then go post on Holla Forums about how I hate all the new games, how everything is shitty, and people are dumb. Maybe even complain about some sort of political issue.

But secretly I'll buy some of the games that looked really cool and fun, and probably enjoy them because they are competent and at times maybe even good. But won't tell anyone here about it.

Contempt breeds contempt.

It's not hard to see how.

People who actually care about and are good at making great games head teams and make great games again.
These people stop turning to publishers for funding and learn to be fucking patient, using small projects to build up their own funds.

Oh stop with that shitty excuse for the industry has completely taking a shit-turn, just like the music-industry where Nu-music-fags also use the exact same argument of anons isn't looking deep enough for the good shit.

Global economic disaster, WWIII, and or meteor strike.

The electrical and computer engineer in me is screaming at his brain damage.

you should jealous

You grew a sense of taste and realised most games were shit. Like Banjo Kazooie is a shit game, but you niggers don't realise it because you all have nostalgia goggles.

FFVII, MGS, and Zelda 64 still hold up pretty well despite being 20 years old. Banjo only sucks insofar as it's explicitly a little kid's game, and playing it would make me feel as stupid as if I were watching MLP.

But all that is besides the point, because what matters is that E3 once upon a time had a ton of exciting news. Nowadays you just have only 4-5 conferences from the 4-5 biggest publishers, most of their content is catering entirely to normalfags who watch niggerball and Game of Thrones on their TV, and half the time the trailers are just awkward and shitty CGI movie clips. Most companies tend to also blow their load weeks or months prior to the event and there are no surprises anymore.

Yeah you're really unique with great taste man

The industry caters to retards and SJW bloggers, and is in denial about being in a death spiral.