Overpowered Superhero Nonsense

What are some other overpowered superhero nonsense that don't make any sense?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uOki4xXBvUU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Kid you're talking about capes, when aren't they overpowered?

Better writers than she gets can handle this well, she just gets a lot of shit ones. Tim is a better detective than Bruce and Dick is a better acrobat than Bruce, but Bruce has the highest overall average and those are never problems because Tim and Dick get halfway decent writers.

The obvious first one to talk about is Superman himself. Who in the olden days just wills himself to have bullshit powers and do impossible things. Like carry a solar system of planets to a new galaxy by running a giant metal chain through them.

It was almost like he was a super man or something.

Yeah but there's a limit to how super he should be. You go too far with little reason and you lose your audience.

The animated series seemed to keep his powers at a consistent level even if they did nerf him.

One thing that always bugged me is how Batman gets let off the hook of being a gary stu. I don't hate Batman but a lot of his fans piss me off when they bitch about Superman being OP yet they're fine when Batman pulls something out of his ass that even a trained fighter like he couldn't do.

Batman gets away with it because he's not the focus of most Batman stories, ironically. Batman is fucking boring no matter how you write him so he kinda gets away with Gary Stuness. The real interesting part of Batman stories are the villains.

What's nonsense is that excuse

Well, that makes sense, OP.

You always need your hero to get in trouble, regardless of how powerful he is. If every writer at least tried to come up with a nice little excuse like that capes would be much better overall.

I could use Futurama's argument for God's omniscience to justify it
"Do you know what I'm going to say before I say it?"
"Yes"
"What if I do something different?"
"Then I don't know that"

How? You'd required precognition yourself, or the ability to read God's mind. And at that point, you'd either only know what you'd have said if you hadn't known what you'd say, thus not really having omniscience, or you'd truly know every infinite instance of "I know that I know that I know [infinite repetitions] what I'd say, so I'm going to say this instead".
TLDR: that's not what omniscience means.

You mean:

Makes about as much sense as Deadpool giving Taskmaster a nervous breakdown with his Daniel Day Lewis and Lionel Ritchie style kung fu.

The character sucks. I don't care if I'm alone with that opinion.

Yeah not power creep to OP level at all. user a good character remains constant with what's establish….look at the other user said from the animated series or even other characters like daredevil
They more or less have always the same power level and the threats are going around this

Yeah no, fag.

I repeat:

Uh a grenade?

Also who would win if she fought Daredevil in the dark

They could've just had her be injured beforehand, so she would have a believable handicap while fighting the Joker.

I think they eventually dickpulled joker's character by saying he's had martial artist training as well, even tho we kno its wildly inconsistent with his character. Can you picture a psycho like joker sitting down and practicing his. katas

I'm not saying that the Joker should be a threat, but the dude does fist fight with Batman on a weekly basis. The dude's probably pretty good compared to most people.

I think she would mostly because she can see shit

Didn't the early Superman stories keep giving him bullshit powers that solved that week's plot, but then were never heard of again? Unfortunately for the writers, 30's NY was ground zero for sci-fi fandom (I think 3 guys all had competing claims to being "fan no. 1"), so they probably started getting autistic letters asking why he didn't use X power to fix Y situation, so they had to give him a defined skillset.
Not that that was the end of such things. I have Essential Avengers vol. 1, and Thor does a fair few ass-pulls in it.

Oh yeah Thor was crazy really early on. Though that period really only lasted maybe the first year or so of his comics.
Superman's earliest stuff is actually way more grounded then what came in the 50's were most of the craziest stories people harp on come from. Though Bat-Man was in a very much equal situation. That WAS the era that gave us Bat-mite and several alien Bat-Men.

He usually gets fucked by Batman if it ever comes to a fight. Hence his love of guns, knives, explosives, Joker venom and other novelty weapons.

well, duh! she is a girl after all.

Better yet, what are good counters to some overpowered capes?

No it doesn't make sense, and I'll explain how.

She can read movements based on slight body language, that's not something you can cover like a poker tell. Certain muscles have to move in a certain way in order to make a fist and then move again in order to throw a punch. You can't meet the end result of a punch being thrown without moving those specific muscles in a specific way. It doesn't matter how 'unpredictable' someone is, someone's not going to tense up their leg and then a fist flies out somehow.

I understand that a hero has to have some sort of weakness, but the weaknesses can't come out of thin air.

There's also the fact that any even slightly trained martial artist could just react appropriately to a fist coming at them. I'm not some kind of super badass or anything, but when I turned around to see someone swinging a bottle at my head, I still blocked the arm on instinct and punched the guy. If she was blindfolded and reacting solely to minor changes in breathing or killing intent or something, sure, I could buy not being able to tell what the hell the Joker was doing, but a martial artist being unable to deal with an untrained fighter because he's a loon is the biggest crock of shit. That's like saying a martial artist can't deal with someone drunk and stoned because they move slightly weirdly.

Plot armor piercing bullets.

Eh, if you've ever seen Genki Sudo fight, acting like a nut during a fight can mess up a good fighter. He's a professional mime and dancer, but in MMA fights he breakdances and does Bruce Lee impressions, and unlike boxers who fool around, he's actually breakdance-fighting.
He's one of the few fighters who can turn his back on an opponent and get away with it.
I've pulled off the same thing by breaking into Yasuaki Kurata's "Crab style", or Jackie Chan Eight Drunken Gods, or Street Fighter moves. Yeah, people hate fighting me.
I think in Cassandra's case it's not so much that she can't defend against a punch or kick, it's because her photographic reflexes tend to act on their own, and Joker keeps spoofing her and making her misfire.
youtube.com/watch?v=uOki4xXBvUU

Yeah, I'm sure Cassandra Cain wouldn't be able to beat up someone if they do the robot dance first

You're forgetting a word here.
"Once."
It can mess them up once. Tricks like that work once maybe twice against an opponent before they figure out you're just bullshitting. Granted, a trained fighter can use that opening to land a blow decisive enough to win the fight, but there's a few miles of difference between a trained MMA fighter using a trick to score a cheap hit against another trained fighter and a normal dude who's wacky somehow making a trained fighter unable to defend themselves.

The joker is a scrawny man, realistically batman would curp stomp him every time seeing as he is one of the most skilled fighters on earth and at peak strength.

Reality Warping? Basically re-writing the rules of reality just so that OP cape get thrashed. I mean, it works of Myxyzsptlk.

Well, if you want to be Bill Willingham about it, she's also a TEENAGE GIRL. You fucking retard.

There was also Emmanuel Agustus Burton, the "Drunken Master" of boxing, who Mayweather said was his toughest opponent.

Genki is the same way, he works dodges and strikes into his dance, not "dancing around for one sucker punch", like some idiots here assume.

I hate it when they pull shit like this.

Killing their girlfriend.

Wasn't saying he would ever win or come close to beating Batman or anyone equivalently trained. I was just point out that realistically, he'd be pretty good in a fight if he fights people that good on a regular basis.

No he wouldn't. Especially if he gets his ass handed to him every time

it isn't easy to tell whats going on those pages

breaking the fourth wall and erasing him

He's got dancing feet, plus he's axe-crazy, immune to pain and fear, and wiry rather than scrawny. I see him as being like Limehouse Willie, the mobster who goes toe-to-toe with Sho Kosugi in Pray For Death, he just keeps up with what is on paper a much more dangerous, martial arts trained and better equipped opponent by cunning, intensity, unpredictability and resilience. Joker may not know karate, but he does know crazy.

Speaking of overpowered nonsense, can I say how much I hate when shit like this happens? Batman disappears and people who can see through walls can't see him because he's just too cool.

Nice rebuttal there, but you could have used a smug anime girl and greentext.

Personally what I hate about overpowered characters is that even with all their bullshit they still immediately crumble due to plot bullshit, or something changes about their reaction to their weaknesses.

Like for example Superman and Kryptonite, in some stories you need a really solid chunk to make him sink to the ground whilst struggling and in others you only need a finger-full of dust to make him drop to his knees like a bitch.

I never read the stuff involving this Gotham Man and Gotham Girl. It seemed weird like they were knockoffs of Superman and Supergirl. What's their backstory?

Personally, I'd rather they be consistent about it. Kryptonite is rare on earth yet lethal to Superman. So Luthor creates synthetic kryptonite which isn't as deadly as the original but allows him to create a large enough supply.

Gimmie a bit and I'l storytime their backstory.

Going to skip the start of the arc since it's basically the Gothams doing superman type stuff and Bruce being impressed.

Issue 2. Aka the shocking (not) twist.

Oh no. Rip-off Superman has gone crazy.

Issue 3. This issue explains how their powers work.

Alfred is the best Bat-Family member. Prove me wrong.

Talking of OP: remember when some no-name Superman rp-off beat the entire Justice League in a fair fight?

By the way, I'm pretty sure that final monologue where Gotham-Girl talks about how she later kills Batman and marries Duke got forgotten about. There's an arc after this where Bruce forces Psycho-Pirate to restore GGs personality but after that she basically just sits in the Batcave spare sidekicks locker or something.

My issue with it is that it relies on the fact that Batman is already a pre-established cool guy and running with it rather than actually making him a cool guy.

I always hated this story-arc. Two metahumans with Superman-like powers from nowhere show up with no explanation and Batman just runs with it?

Second pic is one of my favorite pages in comics

They could have spent 20 issues dealing with the whole "Batman doesn't trust them" thing, but that's both overdone, and completely not the point of the story. The whole story arc is about how fucked up Gotham is of a city, it destroys everyone who comes into contact with it.

Cause the real arc was sooo much better

Honestly, the thing that bothers me the most is that they tried to use soldiers who are driven by their own emotions to control a guy who is handling a guy who controls emotions instead of bomb collars or something. The setup for them to be controlled by Psycho Pirate is so dumb it actually makes me mad.

And what's with the "We were going to clean up the city using a super criminal and a man who is known for abusing his position of power" plan, anyway? It's shit like this that keeps Gotham from being on a path to recovery. If the people in charge stopped trying risky bandaid solutions and put that money into improving their prison system, Gotham's crime would plummet. The villains she cited as the justification for all of this are only a problem because they keep getting out.

Bravo.

He's behind them?

With no survivors!