I just want to say this, Holla Forums:

I just want to say this, Holla Forums:

About a week back, there were the developers of a gratis ("freeware") game called Empires shilling ("for a good cause") for it here. I, and a couple of others, were telling them to release the source code for it, and faced silence in response.

I want you to know that if a software developer doesn't stand to gain from selling copies of their software, from renting out access to servers for their software, or from selling paid mods/micro-transaction content licenses, what they have left to gain from is in harvesting and selling their users' data. Just recently, it was discovered that the gratis game osu! has had Windows 10-esque data harvesting functionality built into it (see here: >>>Holla Forums601574/ ) - this could never be discovered for the longest time because its source code was never publicly released, and then was only just discovered when its source code was leaked last month. Without source code access, you can never tell what "free" software you download actually monetizes itself by selling you, the software user.

Don't trust games like Empires whose owners have no publicly admittable motive for refusing to release their title's source code, but who refuse to release their title's source code still.

That is all.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/fortressforever/fortressforever
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

That's meant to just be >>>Holla Forums601574 , pardon.

This deserves a sticky.

Sauce on the osu! thing? One of my friend plays it.

Disregard, I suck cocks. I don't deserve these digits.

Bullshit.

If somebody was shilling board quality would've gone up.

For it to work they have to convince their users to accept the fact that they have to connect to a central server during the normal course of the game, in the case of osu "bancho". Otherwise there is no way to hide the fact that it's mysteriously transmitting data for some reason.

I remember this, it was pretty damn pathetic. Nothing wrong with shilling free games, but as you said, it's not actually free.

Would like to see more pressure on the devs for that source code.

You cunts can be retarded sometimes.

are you fucking retarded?

Honestly I dont think the empires mod collects data like osu, they just want to revive their dead playerbase. Most source engine mods are never open source and besides steam monitors you anyhow.

The problem with that thread was that instead of saying "I'm a developer, play my game Holla Forums" he tried (and failed) to be "subtle" about it, and when called out he replied with that post in the screencap.
Either be direct or be subtle, but if you fail to be subtle then shit won't end well for you.

To that, then: Where is the source code with which to solidify one's certainty that nothing damning is to be found? And, then: With the source code possibly damning to its controlling party, and with no other motivation possible for the source code not being made available to the public, why is the source code not made available to the public?

Because a lot of modders are giant spergs and source engine modding used to be rife with 12 year olds stealing content for their own mods. Stop being such a tinfoil hat about dead source engine mods.

you're just being a little bitch about nothing, lol

HURP DURP MUH PROPIETARY
go back to Holla Forums

I'm just posing questions, now, not swearing and calling people names.

Well, maybe he just doesn't want someone to rip off his game ala China.

Are you really so stupid so as to not get the implications of my post.

Wait, tell me, do you anons use Windows 10?

I can assure you that Mountain Blade is not open source and that no version of TF2 was open source at the time of Final Combat's creation.

Right, so why would he want to make his game even MORE easy to copy.

I mean, I get that you're suspicious and there's reason to be with that osu thing now, but you can't be jumping at every shadow you see.

Windows XP for old vidya, consoles for newer vidya and android tablet for shitposting

Nice try you handicapped fuck.

Maybe when you are out of highschool you will understand how stupid you are.

Releasing source code brings the danger of other people making knock offs, while releasing it only serves to put to rest a few paranoid anons. If you're that concerned about this, then use wireshark to check outgoing data or something.

The people talking entirely about Empires are missing the point.
The point is about practicing good security habits with "free" products like this in general.

The people talking about how the creators of these products should be afraid of being ripped off are missing the point, too.
It's referring to products that publicly claim to be non-commercial and it's obviously only if they're actually not (which means they're honeypots as explained in the OP) that any kind of commercial gain ever even enters into the equation for them, not to mention that copyright is copyright regardless of whether licensing is commercial or not anyway.

As long as people are talking about rip offs, though, this is unrelated to the main topic but note that releasing the source code is generally actually specifically about allowing people other than the main developers to contribute. Contributions can be made by anyone and then they're accepted right into the software. If the main developers stall then yes the contributors can pack things up and make their own release but that's actually good, that's actually how the current version of Empires was able to come about so you can't call that a matter of "rip offs" being bad.

Huh, I remember Empires being a Source Mod many many years ago.

Did they decide to make it a full game or what?

That's probably because they are still decent enough not to say "fuck off".

So on their behalf; Fuck off.

you technocommunist faggots are fucking retarded.

What exactly do you mean by knock offs?

People can fork the source code and create a very different version of it. Usually improved.

If you're talking about people selling a game and pretending it is their own; it never works.

smh tbh fam

Those games aren't even open source, so if anything, it shows that closing it doesn't prevent plagiarism.

Are people here also not aware that since it's a source mod, stealing the code would mean making a standalone copy would take about as much work as writing it from scratch?

lol

If kojima would pull off "quiet mountains" everyone would exacly knew what's going on and would buy the game.

If you take someone's work, adjust it in a way and then release under different name and with different factions/items/weapons names no IP law can protect the original developer

Fuck you open source advocates, i'd have nothing against the idea itself if not for dumbasses forcing it and remaining deaf to most rational argument about stealing someone's work

Do you understand?
the advocates just want the engine to be free as shit
it's only the code that's running that they want to see, share and modify. they don't care if you patent a quote or make your assets only for your company to use.

It's not designed to protect the original developer, It's designed (GPL in mind) to protect the user's freedom and the freedom of that program.

also >paying games, lol

I recall ItG having issues because they tried to actually go commercial, there was some legal fuss and then Konami ended up just buying the company or something. It's been over a decade so I've forgotten almost all of the details, but I do know that the "bombs" feature eventually carried over to DDR.

I'm fine with libre games, there need to be more of them. You can still protect the 'artists' of games by making the assets and other things a separate file. OpenMW still needs files from Morrowind to work, even doom source ports need the iwads to play the game. There can be libre asset packs, iirc there's a doom iwad that is completely libre, and OpenRA has the whole game rebuilt with libre assets that you can download right from the engine

It's a Half-Life 2 mod that went standone because a couple years ago Valve decided it would be a good idea to not own Half-Life 2 to be able to run Source engine mods if the mod devs chose to. You might as well go on Moddb and harass every mod maker to open source their shit while you're at it.

shit that only assblasted stormweenies say alex

Like what said, it's a fucking hl2 mod. They may not be able to release the source code you dumb nigger.

I'm all for the objectives of Stallman and the FSF but this guy is right; why single out Empires for harassment when there are much more egregious examples?

I agree.

empires cant release the source code because some steamworks integration bits are under NDA

you can make the mod's source code available but i think it has to be under the source 1 SDK license, which only allows free distribution. that means it isn't a libre license however, not even technically open source under the OSI's definition. but anyone making a source mod could at least release the code of their mod this way.

fortress forever, for example, does this: github.com/fortressforever/fortressforever

thats a part of why Steamworks integration is cancer.

Ironically their mod would probably live longer if they opened the source. Also, if valve had any decency they'd open source the older iterations of their engines. That's probably expecting a lot from those behind the largest DRM platform on the PC though.