My favourite thing in videogames are when levels are rendered at a different angle for use in strategy guides

My favourite thing in videogames are when levels are rendered at a different angle for use in strategy guides.

Other urls found in this thread:

vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/index.htm#LegendOfZeldaALinkToThePast
vgmaps.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't have too many of them though.

My favourite are Ocarina of Time ones.

The rest of these aren't in any order, unfortunately.

If anyone has any more images like this to share, I'd appreciate it a lot. I love collecting them.

These ones are so low res I feel embarassed posting them.

This actually looks really nice

I wonder how they get these screenshots

Majora's Mask ones are less plentiful.

My absolute favourite are the Clock Town ones.

Zelda needs to take a lesson in using their vertical better. Only in Skyward Sword's forest section did they really use it moderately well, and that's only because you revisit it when its flooded for a different perspective.

Mario Kart ones are far too big for Holla Forums. So I'll just post this one.

I love these Zelda maps. I'm sad those high res prerendered backgrounds are going to be lost forever.

Are you saying Ocarina of Time didn't have enough verticality or the others after didn't? Because Deku Tree, Fire, and Water Temple are vertical as fuck especially for a 1998 game.

Here are the three temples you mentioned.

Mario Party was fun. Unfortunately, I only have maps of Mario Party 3.

I like these too, I have all the Ocarina of time ones stored somewhere, something cozy bout them, maybe it's just because I liked Lego when I was younger.

I have all the DROD maps, but I'll keep it to these four. The scale of these maps really downplay how huge the actual game is.

I really like the color pallet for the fire and water temples. they're red and blue but not saturated that it feels like the artists are screaming at you "THIS IS A WATER DUNGEON GET IT? IT'S FUCKING BLUE". there's a level of believability to the design and architecture, even if the layout makes no sense.

Does anyone have any of these from the Resi evil games?

Hard to believe how small the levels actually are.

Does anyone have any for Thief or the 2d Zeldas?

Can't find anything on Thief, but the 2D Zeldas are very well documented, since you just need to take screencaps and link them together.

vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/index.htm#LegendOfZeldaALinkToThePast

Jesus, was the hovercraft level really THAT fucking long?

I remember people said HL2 is a straight line, but there's a lot more truth to that than I realised.
It's still a good game.

Something about the way Black Mesa was designed made it feel much, much bigger than that. It's cool to see how efficiently the space was used in the maps, though.

This thread is pretty good. I like this thread.

This is great OP, throw in everything you have pls.

In particular, do you have more Mario Galaxy ones?

Yes, but your HuPS is much higher thanks to the speed boat. Still is a pretty boring section of the game, though.

I wish more games did what Daggerfall did with its dungeon map.

Good thread. I have a couple.

fuck off

I know some of these have already been posted, but looking at the entire Zelda maps together is cool, because there is actually a lot more matching up between games than you think. If you look at them in chronological order you can see how the landscape changes in believable fashions.

Also, it's interesting to note that every game just takes place in a smaller section of Hyrule than the game before it. Except Zelda 2, of course. Link to the Past only goes as far east as the waterfall, while the map goes about 1/3 further in Zelda 1. And Ocarina of Time, not being a square/rectangle, cuts off the due Western and due Southern chunks from the Link to the Past map.

The Ocarina of Time Lost Woods and Kokiri Forest are now dried out brambles and ruins. The Hyrule Castle from Ocarina of Time seems to have been taken over by the Lost Woods by Link to the Past (it moved pretty far, but it's magic, I ain't gotta explain shit). Lon Lon Ranch, meanwhile, has become the new Hyrule Castle. And Kakariko Village is now a Graveyard and the Sanctuary, while the new village is in a part of the map that wasn't explored in Ocarina of Time. The desert, lake, and mountain are pretty much the same, but the river has been rerouted to make a moat around the new castle. Yet you can still see ponds where the river used to run. Also of note is that the area just west of the lake, which wasn't explored in Ocarina, is a wetland.

By the time of Zelda 1, the river has begun to run back toward its natural course, and surrounded the LttP blacksmith shop, which is now a dungeon. LttP Hyrule Castle seems to have become the first dungeon in Zelda 1, as well. Even the rocky area across the bridge to the east of the castle/dungeon is there in Zelda 1, of course it's only two rocks, but then everything is lower detail since it's an older console. Meanwhile, the river, instead of flowing southeast from the castle/dungeon, now runs due south, toward what used to be the marshland in LttP. The old Lake Hylia is now cut off from the river. The mountainous area south of the lake and the rocky area east of it are still there. The area that was once the Ocarina of Time and Lost Woods, which then dried out to be brambles and ruins by Link to the Past, is now a desert by the time of Zelda I. Kakariko Village, which already moved once and left a graveyard in its place, has once again become another, much bigger graveyard. The Link to the Past Lost Woods are now a bunch of dead tree stumps, while the Enchanted Forest from Link to the Past is the new Lost Woods, which I guess makes sense since it was already a magic forest. The old desert is still a big empty clearing, but not as dried out as the new desert.

Everything east of the waterfall is not explored in Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time. Hyrule must have expanded over time. A lot, since the entire Zelda 1 map is only a tiny fraction of Zelda II, but I think everyone already knows about that.

tl;dr: Zelda timeline is lame. Hyrule map is where it's at.

Does Spyro level viewer count?

I love it

Spyro levels always make me depressed. I thinks it's the artstyle.

Kill yourself, faggot.

I think he meant that the artstyle envoked that feeling, not that it's shit.
Maybe because he can't go there and see how beautiful it is

You got me. I just wanted to post more Spyro, but was confronted with the dilemma of making user depressed.

It's because they look so vibrant yet so bare. Even when you play the game the worlds look kind of empty. Especially when you 100% them. It makes them look like a purgatory or something.

Those Zelda renders make it look like something out of The Sims.

The enemies, gems/crates/etc, dragons, and portals make it a lot more vibrant and lively.

Then after you kill everything in the level, it's just an empty city/mesa/et cetera, with empty promises of life beyond the boundaries or, at worst, just empty islands with about four surviving inhabitants along with some local mundane critters.

Hell, one of the reason why they made permenant NPCs in the second game was because this was a huge problem in the first one, and even then only a few levels actually did this well (Speedways, Colossus, Sunny Villa) while others turned into utter barren wastes once you complete the worlds' tasks (Every buddy introduction level in YotD, Shady Oasis, Desert Ruins).

Also, requesting Seashell Shore level image.

Then after you kill everything in the level, it's just an empty city/mesa/et cetera, with empty promises of life beyond the boundaries or, at worst, just empty islands with about four surviving inhabitants along with some local mundane critters.

Hell, one of the reason why they made permenant NPCs in the second game was because this was a huge problem in the first one, and even then only a few levels actually did this well (Speedways, Colossus, Sunny Villa) while others turned into utter barren wastes once you complete the worlds' tasks (Every buddy introduction level in YotD, Shady Oasis, Desert Ruins).

Also, requesting Seashell Shore level image.

This is perfect. I love that old style where they render everything in low quality for guides.

These are awesome

I disagree, but feel the same sadness looking at them.

They're so vast and fantastic, but ultimately barren and lifeless…

And now I'm sadder.

This is a good thread.

I take it you have not played majora's mask. Stone Tower Temple is one of the best level designs around.

deceptive, look at how much of test drive unlimited maps oyu can actually access though, it's bullshit.
Also Lotro being that big is why it's ded,
If you're gonna make a massive world realize that you need to sacrifice a bit of muh lore and give me an eagle to fly around on and not a shitty pony.

I still think Spyro 3 was the best one, but the first one definitely had the best atmosphere.

Holy fucking shit. It's kind of sad to see that developers back in the 90s were able to put in such massive amounts of content in comparison to the current decade's level of retardation.

This is some cool shit, thanks, OP.

I wonder, do these sort of maps exist for the Ace Combat games? With the satellite imaging technology they use, surely it could be pulled from somewhere.

There was almost 0 content. It was just procedurally generated nothingness.

One user on .moe said it's bigger than Ireland.
Apparently.

that's not a good source

I really doubt it's THAT big.

But still, if it ends up on the bigger side of the first chart or it registers somewhere on the second, I'll fucking lose it.

You have to remember, most of Daggerfall is procedurally generated, with only major landmarks being set in stone.

It's still impressive, but not as much as other ones.

Would you say Zelda needs more, verticality?

bump

got a few more Super Mario Galaxy renders

That would make it over half the size of the Daggerfall map, it's definitely not that big.

Some people have pegged it at 140 sq mi just a bit smaller than the Xenoblade X map which is 155 sq mi. people are basing this off of the grids on the map which they think are 1 sq km in size further based off of the size of the demo map, I don't think it's that big, I think it's about half that size, so pretty average in size, it's definitely bigger than Skyrim and Oblivion though.

You imply too much.

I wish games were still tough enough to make me think about buying the strategy guide

nice thread

Step it up, nerds.

Also, in case no one knows, vgmaps.com/ is basically a massive resource for vidya maps, either in game maps or stuff people have made themselves.

Why haven't I heard of this before?

Those beach levels were so nice.

Maps and shit.
Nigga.