The meaning of Edge

What other movies/animations are there in the style of Batman Beyond, Blade and The Matrix? It's this weird mix of late 90's- early 00's edge where things never went full Not Important, and wearing shades, having trenchcoats and dual-wielding katanas was the height of style. A sort of shameless and honest expression of "badass edge."

More importantly, how would you define this genre/style? I remember it being everywhere at some point, even the music videos and bands of the time seemed to embrace this sort of nihilistic style of edgyness, like Sister Machine Gun. The intro music to Batman Beyond was also extremely good. Then it all disappeared pretty quickly when the hype for the new millenium ended. I've tried searching with all sorts of keywords but I never have seen it defined properly. Recommend some similar bands while you're at it.

Other urls found in this thread:

y2kaestheticinstitute.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'll give you props OP, at least you corrected your last shit thread. Still doesn't hide the fact you came from that shithole though.

I guess I just think of it as 90s cool. Batman Beyond was a cyberpunk/superhero mashup, but Blade's setting and aesthetic was more like "goth rave."
Some stuff you might like:
Ghost Rider 2099
Aeon Flux
Maybe the Phantom 2040 cartoon
Dredd (2012)
various Grendel comics

Honestly, most of the things that come to mind in relation to that 90s style are movies and music that have nothing to do with Holla Forums.

Alright, thanks for the recs.

I know, I stated my reason for this before in my previous thread that I had to nuke since Holla Forums are afraid of mentioning a certain board and I had to edit my post by removing one sentence, so as not to trigger the autists like and get my thread sunk.

Try reading/watching Spawn

It's not that Holla Forums is afraid to mention Holla Forums, it's just that we aren't Holla Forums. I know that place is a shithole but you might get more film and music recs in the vein of Blade there. I wish I could recommend more comics and cartoons that might fit what you're looking for.

Sin City, if you've never read it. The first few miniseries are good. They're more neo-noir but they do have that highly stylized, rule of cool kind of action.

Alot of what you are asking for exists more in anime

Planetary, at times.
Apparently there's a comic of Underworld, which was a little bit similar to Blade, visually.

So now the "hey Holla Forums" autist is deciding policy? Thanks, I suspected he was a mod, now you've confirmed it.

It's one sperg that you can just report and ignore.
The vols always delete his faggotry, it just takes them time since they're probably not in the same timezone as the hey poster/shift key cuck.
Don't let one faggot make you so paranoid.

If he was a mod he'd have banned a lot of anons by now and killed the board.

cybersix might be along the lines of what you're looking for.
sherlock holmes in the 22nd century might fit, but i think it only got a few episodes before being cancelled and i don't recall too much about it.
probably wasn't that good.

Shiftkey's broken user, just giving you a heads up.

wouldn't spawn qualify as not important tier edge though?

Coming from person like you and the way you type, anything is possible.

gargoyles may also apply now that i think about it

New York may be a shithole but its no dystopian yet, they can still spell properly just to point it out.

The Crow is definitely 90s edge. Or maybe it was late 80s. The movie came out in the 90s. It's more gritty than Blade and Batman Beyond but it has that cool nihilism, and the movie soundtrack is pretty badass.

The Crow absolutely counts.

i don't think there were too many cartoons like what you're asking for honestly op
there's good suggestions itt, but most of the 'badass' shows from that period were either retarded edgy or had too many comedic elements to really even qualify as edgy.

Considering your "against the system style of writing", of course you'd be the perfect judge just for edge.

The band Suicide recorded this great song about the Ghost Rider.

Too melodically, needs more bass.

How 'bout this Anthrax song about Judge Dredd?
It's pretty cheesy

Better but it needs a more "smoker heavy" voice.

nothing wrong with cheese when it sounds good

Says the pop faggot who can't spell for shit.

I've never read the comic Faust, but its movie adaptation featured Fear Factory, and I bet you like them.

I'll look into them.

There was a Chilean cartoon called Cyber Six that came out in the 90's. She wore a fedora and dracula like cape. Would she count?

90s edge you say?

She wasn't really edgy in the cartoon. More stylish… Though the comics were very edgy. I seem to recall the evil kid genius raping a few chicks.

Is it wrong to like them or at least some of their songs?

The Offspring are fine. It's Greenday that's turned into a bunch of kool-aid chugging faggots who spend their days whining about how video games cause school shootings and how Trump is literally Hitler.

I feel ashamed I used to like Green Day in my youth.

I AM THE EDGE

OP, "Cyberpunk" pretty much covers everything you just said.

Grendel: Devil's Legacy
Zero Assassin
Sin City
Hard Boiled
Ronin
The Spawn cartoon
Aeon Flux
Donna Matrix
Machete
Highlander
V for Vendetta
Tailgunner/Jo
Marshal Law
RanXerox
Sex & Violence
Ghost Rider 2099

Trenchcoats & Katanas.

*Argentine.

Green Day was shot even before they hopped on the Fuck Drumpf bandwagon.
They were penny ante punkers who sold out the minute they smelled record industry shekels. Not only did they degrade punk further, but they were and are massive sellouts. They were hot shit during the Bush years because they jumped on the wagon of making fun of Dubya. Then they slinked off during the Obama years because they didn’t want to criticize Black Jesus. But now a Republican is back in the White House so here comes Grey Dusk the forty year old pop-“punk” sellouts to #resist.

What about Bad Religion?

no, some of their songs are pretty damn good. they do have a few that grate the ears though.

BRIGHT RED CHOO-CHOO TRAINS

The things you're referencing are mostly Cyberpunk and you're interlinking that with edgy characters and settings. Yes, they do come together packaged in the late '9o but the connection is not mandatory.

Also y'all forgot Equilibrium and the gun kata memes

thats not a fedora come one

I'm sorry user I'm not knowledgable on hats.

user, your shiftkey is broken.

I nearly forgot the absolute quintessence, the distillation of Edge itself.

bump

Pretty sure it is either a fedora or panama hat.

Attached: Fedora_Hat_Homburg_Hat_Campaign_Hat_Porkpie.jpg (966x1000, 88.13K)

Muh Nigga

I think he wanted to bone Cybersix, but I don't think he ever did.

Attached: cybersix15_ (11).jpg (1080x1534, 770.33K)

Don't forget the Underworld series.

It's a wide-brimmed fedora, like The Shadow and the fourth Doctor wears. It's just as large as a sombrero cordobés, like Zorro wears.

Actually it's pretty much a Carmen Sandiego hat.

South American version of Darkwing Duck sure looks a lot hotter than the US version.

What you're describing is basically the Y2K aesthetic that surrounded the year 2000. It started from the late 90s when the internet was getting popularized along with all the technologies of its era like personal computers, Windows 95/98, digital media players…etc. Everyone had this optimistic outlook for a technologically advanced future, which was hyped further by the approach of the year 2000 marking the start of a new millennium and a new century.
This made way for a lot of sci-fi inspired media to be made, from movies to series to video games to music, the most prominent examples being the ones you already mentioned… It all came to an end when 9/11 happened, showering the world in a feeling of terror and fear, replacing the futuristic millennial optimism. This explains the later part of the 2000s being characterized by dystopian/apocalyptic themed media.

Anyway if you wanna get into more movies/series of that era look for anything released between 1998 and 2001, this blog might give you ideas and take you on a walk down memory lane
y2kaestheticinstitute.tumblr.com/

Attached: tlc.jpg (957x957 871.97 KB, 510.74K)

Is this era connected to Seapunk?

Thank you user for the explanation of hats.

shway

Is Scud the disposable assassin edgy?

I want a 3/4 newsboy cap

Attached: ScudCool.GIF (272x325, 14.73K)

2/10 no trilby would not hat

It's Seapunk.
Needs more dolphins, pyramids, palm trees and floating reflective spheres.

I guess Seapunk was Cyberpunk running into New Age. It was a more optimistic view of technology acquiring A e s t h e t i c and spirituality, evolving out of the narcissistic and materialistic 80's.
Then, as you say, 9-11 happened, the government started cracking down on internet neutrality, and we lost the Star Trek: Next Generation future.
I think we lost the Steampunk/Dieselpunk future when Paul Otlet's work was disrupted by both World Wars, and we lost the Atomic Age Jetsons future when Buckminster Fuller had his second mental breakdown after WW2.

It doesn’t necessarily start edgy but man does it get there towards the end. You can almost feel the fedora tipping grit.

So basically vaporwave but with minor differences?..
By the way calling that era seapunk is like calling the 80s vaporwave, an aesthetic movement from the 10s =/= the era that inspired it.

Oh god this shit. Unironically thought it was better than the OG madness

Edgy - the sarcastic definitions

Definition #1
Something carefully constructed to look dangerous, subversive or shocking while in reality being designed to be as harmless, bland and marketable as possible. This also applies on a personal level, where a person may attempt to present themselves as roguish and tough, but in reality this is little more than a false persona.
See: Emo kids, The Covenant

Definition #2
Speaking or acting in a way that is genuinely shocking or dangerous, but holds no value, isn't subversive in a menaingful way and only serves to inflate the person's ego or help them present a public image of toughness and danger. In artistic works, this could mean a work of art that is intentionally shocking or even revolting, but has no message or artistic value.
See: Common criminals, bands like analcunt

Definition #3
Something that tries to appear threatening, subversive or dangerous but ends up being comical or ridiculous. In these cases, these works, words or actions can become charming or even enjoyable because of their absurdity.
See: Shadow the Hedgehog memes, bands like analcunt

Nobody cares user

whats so edgy about the covenant ?

Now I feel sad about what was taken from us.

That's edgy.

I guess it involved wannabe witches and Wiccans were a thing in the 90's? Seems more pseudo counterculture more than anything.

An edge thread without Jack is just not a good thread. Jack is edge given a tangible form. its entertaining for this reason. it's a train wreck unending and wholly without irony. This epic brought to us by one David Hopkins is countless years of terrible despite this Jacks overarching narrative is at time pretty good and even interesting.
In a way the problem with the modern use of edge prevents it from being good in the old days when everything was edgy it was just the tone of the time but now edge has become an unfortunate relic. Anything that is poorly done with dark or gritty tones is automatically edgy and is then treated as a a part of the problem and not a solution to it.

somewhat related would anyone happen to have the image of Raiden from Metal Gear Rising with the pickax arms I've been searching everywhere for it.it was posted in an edge thread ages ago but i forgot to save it.

Attached: Jack01.jpg (225x307 225.85 KB, 39.51K)

Jack is a good webcomic and I'm glad David has been drawing Jack for 17 years (and Rework the Dead 1 and 2 for years before that) despite all the bullshit tumblrinas give him.

Attached: lousy kung fu.webm (480x360, 849.54K)

I had to lol when he was accused of phone rape.