The most important PC game ever

Was it? I think it was tbh

Other urls found in this thread:

quark.sourceforge.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pretty much the birth of modern RPGs with its past ones giving birth to the JRPG genre and Underworld giving birth to Might and Magic, Eye of the Beholder and Wizardry which influenced a shitton of othet titles.

RPGs are now mostly normalfag shallow shit, but it used to he really fucking good.

OG DOOM

I think so. It's the single most important game for the FPS genre.

Reminder that Carmack took a shitton of ideas from Ultima Underworld and was under phone guidance of Paul Neurath.

Home computers and personal computers are different things.

Are you retarded?
Might and Magic is older than Ultima Underworld and even the modern ones are nothing like Ultima Underworld
Same for Eye of the Beholder and wizardry.

Rich coming from you who doesn't know jack shit

Like?

Got any source on that?

ultima underworld is an rpg

Yes. It defined nearly every modern FPS element except for the story development that Half-Life added. There are so many things you'll take for granted today that they were breaking new ground with. They had an internet master server architecture, first class modding support (unlike doom), possibly the first game ever to provide a toolchain, introduced us to lightmaps, taught us how to mouselook, etc.. Even had (several) Linux ports and moved media support forward in that space.

I assume he just means the tech and whatnot,I remember Underworld being VERY high tech for the time and doom having a lot of that. Stuff like terrain, inclines, textures and a bunch of other stuff I'm not too knowledgeable on that were a first for 3D sprite vidya.

And it's just a really good game in general. I hope Ascendant is good but you can only hope with kickstarter.

They sure as fuck weren't running on a mainframe, fag.

Your mom is a RPG

I know, she was into some weird shit.

Ultima Underworld was certainly high tech but Carmack had been making FPS before it was released.
Using technological advancement as an inspiration is one of the flimsiest arguments one could make.

Underworld's tech was completely different and insanely slow. Thankfully Doom took another route and was silky smooth in full screen.

Didn't this happen after the source was released, many years after launch? But yes, id were probably the only major game dev who released the source code of their games after they had their profit, allowing for people getting into games development to have full access to their engines. It's a wonderful trend that they will not repeat under Bethesda.

I forgot to write as we know them today.
Sir Tech was in direct competition with Origin, but they influenced each other greatly and what Stygian Abyss brought to the table with real time movement and combat was amazing and Wizardy and Might and Magic both using it for their latest games.

I didnt play Eye of the Beholder, you got me there.

Yeah, pretty damn important.

Eye of the Beholder and Might and Magic 3 were released before Ultima Underworld and were realtime. Also
You really should post shit you know nothing about

shouldn't*

Nope, everyone who was anyone had a hand in porting it to Linux. The best version was faster than the DOS version by about 5%. I used to play it in Linux back in 1996 - it was the definitive version as far as we were concerned. Fastest, easiest to get on the internet, and most stable.

Might and Magic 3 is turn based.

Wizardry 7 used realt time movement and M&M6 used an option for the two.

I never implied Wizardry had real time combat unless you're being an obtuse fuck and some modern weebshit game has it.

Didnt know that, shouldnt have mentioned it, I thought it came out later, but it actually came out in 91.

Is that Bryan Cranston?

Call it a CRPG or an immersive simulation, user. Second one is kinda more to the point and less of that silly thing you're doing, though.

Daily reminder

HPfag detected

More like Shekelmax, i thank you

He took a lot of the ideas from UU and optimized the shit out of them for Doom. Too bad that talent didn't shine too well from Doom 3 and beyond.

I love Doom 3 to bits, it did everything it was set to do right.

iv read these be4 and it never ceases to make me visually pissed. i am near foaming at the mouth.

Future Shock > Quake

Good. This shit pisses me off to no end, and the worst thing for me with those images I dump is for them to fall on deaf ears.

What was that highly detailed map pack? One screenshot had a floating island with a castle/monestary and you had to jump acros some floating stuff.
I forgot to grab it and now can not find it for shit

Arcane Dimensions was a pretty high profile recent release, although I haven't actually played it so I can't say if it actually matches your description or not.

PC used to mean any home computer: Apple, Commodore, Sinclair, Atari, Tandy, everything was a PC before IBM's PC became ubiquitous enough to hijack the term.

Thanks.
Anyone know a good map editor for quake1? Something like the source hammer editor would be great due to how easy it is to get into and lose hours making geometry. I know trenchboom is popular but what else is there.
On another note - how to set up a hl2 mod? I seem to do everything correct but it does not show up in my steam library. I just am trying to make a short singleplayer campaign using all hl2 assets

Here's this:
quark.sourceforge.net/
And then there a couple of others that I should be able to remember, but…
Well, put it in steamapps/sourcemods, restart Steam.

The most important PC game ever is obviously Doom, the people who made it are legends today because of it, the influence it had on the games industry was unbelievable and to this day people still play it.

What is a better question would be for each genre what is its most important game?

I'd say either Rogue or Doom was tbh

The hl2 mod thing does not work. guess back to lurking threads.
One last thing - how to get Arcane Dimensions to work with quakespasm? I got the source port to work but how to get the mod running. The readme is not really clear

If Quake never happened TF2 wouldn't have happened. If Quake didn't happen, we'd have more survival horror instead. If Quake didn't happen, we'd have mroe interactive FPS ala Goldeneye. It was the harbinger of cancer.

If Quake didn't happen, there would be no Half-Life or Steam or Valve. If Quake didn't happen, there'd be no Portal. How deep down this rabbit hole would you like to go?

if quake didn't happen there'd be still DN3D and Unreal on it's way and PSX happened 2 years ago so it wouldn't be a huge setback for computer graphics anyway

it would be a huge loss for arena shooter hovewer

That's fine, because if DN3D didn't happen or Quake didn't happen we'd have no Gearbox / Turtle Rock.

half life is garbage though. it is the same scripted shit plaguing modern shooters we don't want in games anymore.

Turtle Rock alone killed tacticool FPS and all you newfags got out of it was your memen SWAT 4, which isn't even a proper smequel.

How did Cuckbox go from making fantastic WW2 FPS games to memeshit? Oh right, monay.

I wonder if the people involved with Brothers in Arms are even still there. I hope they went home and are just living comfortably now.

scratch the mods with quakespasm I am retarded

I love Half-Life but you're right, they started the cinematic experience. If Quake didn't happen, you'd have no Unsharted. If Quake didn't happen you'd have no I Hate Tombs.

Half-Life release date: ‎November 8, 1998
Thief release date: November 30, 1998
Rainbow Six release date: October 13, 2015

If Quake didn't happen, HL didn't happen and FPS RPG took forefront. If Quake didn't happen, Konami wouldn't have nippon kike vampyric teeth in the MG series.

If Quake didn't happen, there would be another Policenauts.

So, OP. What was good about Quake happening?

Half-Life uses the story to guide the player on what they should do next. It also gives context to your actions.

"Get to the surface, and let someone know we're stranded down here!"
"The soldiers aren't here to rescue us, they're here to kill everyone."
"Stick to the older parts of the complex, where the security system is full of holes."
"Get to the Lambda Complex, they're the only ones who can fix this mess."
"Kill the creature keeping the portal open from the other side."

Instead of just being thrown into a room and told "kill everything," you're eased into the world. HL has almost no "stop" points, where you're forced to stand in a single room and wait for someone to finish talking. The few times it does happen, they don't last more than a minute or two (with the exception of the first chapter).

FMV games were around long before Half Life. Hell the first Nintendo electro-mechanical arcade game in 1974 was one that used film reels.

Oh yes, finally a Quake thread so I can post all the memes I've collected!

Grest games, no doubt, but only Half Life and Red Alertv2 as a smaller case can be called influencial.
Important no doubt though, great fucking games.

It hurts man

Grest games, no doubt, but only Half Life and Red Alertv2 as a smaller case can be called influencial.
Important no doubt though, great fucking games.

It hurts man

Is that it.

Germany football match interrupted my shitposting.

Skyrim

Ironic shitposting is not allowed in Quake threads. Only genuine shitposts, please.

But it still does, PC stands for personal computer. The only ones who make a distinction are apple's marketing department.

How was Goldeneye more interactive than Quake, you doofus? You couldn't even fucking jump.

That's the most idiotic post I've ever read on the internet.

Valve can't take any credit for a FLOSS engine reimplementation, user. If anything, they should be held at fault for not releasing the engine's source code themselves.

I thought he took a lot of ideas from UU and put them into Catacomb 3D? then improved his own engine into Wolf3d, then Doom?

seriously, is that 90s Bryan Cranston?

We all would love to know but my bet is on no

im gonna go with ultima, because i love rpgs and it inspired some great games.

Sorry for offtop.
Do you know where I can order custom posters ? I want a poster with doom and serious sam

It was OK, but not a good doom game, just like the new one. Give it a different name and you have a decent game.

That reminds me I should get a Serious Sam shirt.

i got a genuine shitpost for you user

If you don't post

CHEMP IS HERE

in this thread evil will win every sunday cup forever from now on, including season finales.

who?

Fucking stupid name that I'm glad never catches on. Kill yourself

Agent, the second best european player after evil right now (because cypher doesn't practice).

With jews, you lose.

Faggot

oh, i don't care.

Tell me you're at least interested in singleplayer FPS then. Otherwise just leave this thread.

what does e-celebs have to do with singleplayer fps. why are you salty about your own retardation?

Rogue was more important

This is a QUAKE thread. You either like the singleplayer, the multiplayer or both. Neither is not an option, get out.

but i didn't say i didn't like the multiplayer or the singleplayer? so salty cause I don't suck e-celeb cock like you do haha.

If you're not aware of agent you don't follow multiplayer. Multiplayer is about beating other players and improving your skills over time. Pros represent the pinnacle of how to play the game, they demonstrate what can and can't be done successfully. It's got nothing to do with "celebrity". If someone brought up legendary players in a chess thread would you act all smug and call those legendary chess players "celebrities"? Would you act like they are not relevant when discussing the game? If you don't know or don't care who agent is you do not like Quake multiplayer.

Which leaves singleplayer. There's a big crowd of Quake 1 fans and I respect them, they have every right to call themselves Quake fans and they've been neglected since Quake 2 whereas the MP crowd was somewhat supported up until Quake 4. If you were one those people I could understand your bitterness.

okay shill

Not sure you know what that word means. There's no money in Quake Live competitions or streams thereof so what am I shilling for?

I would have to go with Carrier Command as it was the first of a genre that I loved and is now dead.
There are people on Holla Forums right now that will think I'm talking about my second pic :^(

historically speaking: either doom or microsoft's adventure
in quality: hotline miami 1