Stranger Of Sword City

New thread.

This is a dungeon crawler with customizable portraits for your characters, allowing us autists to totally weeb out.

Halfchan portraits stolen by user:
mediafire.com/download/nde3k48evmp68jz/BIG_CUCKCHAN_ARCHIVE.rar

Transparency Thingy:
dl3.volafile.net/get/Pf-vPUOTw67lOw/SoSC Transparency Photoshop.rar

You can get the free version from Kickass or buy it off Steam.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PNJMOK0yopY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It has good mechanics and is extremely polished, too. Really, there is a lot more to recommend it other than custom portraits, which are a gimmick that is nice to have but not really a big thing in the grand scheme of things.

which version is better vita or pc?

PC right now unless you care about leaderboards (hint: you shouldn't)

Vita in Japan once they release New Interpretation, but that is probably never coming west.

PC, you can only get custom portraits there.

Also PC has the free version.

oh vey! why are you punishing the poor nips?!

What the fuck were they smoking when they decided that dice rolls for bonus stat points during character creation was a good idea? I get that the Wizardry games had something similar but seriously what the fuck. At the very least they could have limited the number of times you could roll.

It's a trap for new players who don't know any better, user. Rolling that much is completely unnecessary and a waste of time. You CAN be autistic, but you should only do so if you enjoy that. Complaining about it means you should have just skipped it.

Then youd keep making new chars.
the rolls are stupid, but don't matter that much in lategame, since there's stat caps based on race

does this game have that "in memory of" like in XCOM or wing commander?
or the game just forgets about the dead?

it's very awkward in this game, but I think when you lose all life points they just vanish and uyou have to make another unit.
In early game, if an unit goes down, it's better just to load your save, it's too expensive or takes too much time to revive them and recover their loife points.

so you can revive the dead?
what is the limit of the characters you can have as backup?

lol

It's a core element of the story, and the symbology (butterflies) for death is used everywhere. I would agree it's not all that special mechanically, but it's not a complete red herring or anything.

All units you create have 1 to 3 life points, your character falls in battle, you lose one. If you revive the character, he is alive but still has lost life points.
You can revive and recover lifepoints in the lobby, for free but it takes a lot of time, or instantly but it takes a lot of cash.

It's a nice mechanic but it's badly implemented, the price/time to wait to revive the characters is way too high, it should be relative to the character's level, not tied only to the character's age. So you paid like 100 G to revive and 700 G to recover at level 5, or something like that.

I think the time is fine. Price should be more reasonable though, especially considering you have NOTHING else to spend your money on.

In early game the monsters barely count towards time spent, 2 days for a revive and 7 for a recover…
In 2 days the entire party gained a whole another level just from killing early monsters. I wasn't counting the actual time it took but it wasn't quick. It's much faster to progress again what you explored before the character died, save your revives for when you absolutely can't lose progress(super rare drops, etc).

And if main character dies you're forced to pay, so if you have less than 7500G you better spend it all before that old little jew takes it.

Never thougth about it, but it's kind of true, there's the consumables in shop but that's it, huh…

Where the hell you got 700 G? Are you in beginner mode?! It's over 500,000G to recover instantly at that level. And that's one life point.

The time would be fine if A) there was more things to waste time doing early on or B) there's a clock so you can tell how long it's been.

It's coming to Japan July 21st.

I'm optimistic about a western release, even for the PC. They're porting/localizing everything lately, it's 2016 after all.

I'm going to put it on my wishlist like a good goy and wait for news of New Interpretation on Steam.

Added an extra zero there, fuck.

If your character Vanishes, can you still recover their life points and unvanish them? Or is that guy gone forever?

If they vanish then they're gone forever.

NOPE. When they Vanish, they literally vanish from the plane of existence. The moment they drop dead, that's it. Gone for good.

So what are the penalties and perks for changing class?

Price increase by current level, you lost half your current level (odd-levels are rounded down), and all skills you have learn are "de-equipped" in a sense. You also cannot invest bonus points on your character after leveling up until you are a higher level than your highest-leveled previous class. You can equip a skill from another class onto your new class, but each character only start with 2 skill slots. If the class you change into has a skill you already learnt, you learn it automatically regardless of level.

Multi-classing is pretty great, as you can get some crazy shit going. For example, going from Dancer to Archer allows you to use Tri-Step with bows. It's also cheap as hell to do it early on, so it's pretty fun.

I was talking about how much it SHOULD cost.

pros:
Use some skills from previous classes.
Some HP and MP carries over.

cons:
Your level drops to half of what it was.
You keep your level bonus stats, but you won't get new bonuses until you pass the highest level you got with a previous class.

Multiclassing is the only reason I play this game to be honest.

When you say your level drops to half your current level, do you actually mean that your new class gains levels up to half of your highest level class?
Or do you actually permanently get all your class levels dropped by 50% so you have to level them all up again as the cost of daring to multiclass?

The latter.
HOPE YOU LOVE THE GRIND.

Though this is a game where equipment matters more than actual levels, so it won't take long to level it back up.

Yes, the way they are putting it is making it sound like multiclassing sucks. It really doesn't, and has virtually no "penalties" compared to most games like this. What REALLY happens is you literally GAIN 1/2 your current level as new levels in the class you are switching to. If the new class has higher HP/level than your current class, your HP might even go up. Mine stayed about the same going Knight -> Fighter, then went down somewhat when I went to Ninja.

Too much autism to me, man…
I'm doing it once then going back to the originals.
Also, how do you get more than 3 stock skill slots?

You can only be one class at once, qhen you change classes, you become a new one and your level drops to half of what your level was. You can use some skills from previous classes you've been, but that's it.

In another note, here's how to end a giant ambush on your first turn.
Step 1: use carnage front.
That's it.

Posting best girl.

Every class has a skill at level 13 called "Skill Token" or something like that that raises it by +1. So if you max out multiclassing you will have 8 stock skill slots.

YES

Demon gaze was 10/10 and havent yet started Operation Abyss which is scifi DG

So you level each class to level 13 and you get loads of slots?
Shouldn't you need to waste a slot to use this skill from the last class?

You only need as many slots as you have useful skills. There is probably some interesting preplanning to be done in figuring out which class is best to end up, since the class you are active as of course gets to use all its skills automatically. I haven't been thinking that far ahead and its totally fine, the only multiclassing that seems a bit tricky with skill slots is casters, since every tier of spells is another fucking skill. But melee characters only have a few passives they need to equip.

Oh, yeah. Something I forgot. If you still have multiclass slots left (you can multiclass 5 times), you can always go back to a previous class you have used if you fugged up or just want to have that class's skills.

Mami, your huge tits and the ability to carry the team will be missed. Mammaries has takes her place.

Demon Gaze was too barebones and easy for me. Had to solo the game to enjoy it.

The fuck were they thinking? I was saying the rudest shit to dragon tits just to fug Lulu. Also pic related is best portrait. Instantly made my Mc this dude.

This exact post was made in the previous thread like 2 days ago.

When you go back to a previous class, are you cut in half again, or is that only when selecting a new class?

I attempted to post it last thread but it never posted no matter how many times i refreshed, so my bad.

I mostly stayed with the default portrait for MC and all my followers were waifu sluts

And Fran was always best girl

No idea, but you're probably cut again.
Another good question is, can you change jobs again before hitting the level you had on your previous class?

I haven't even touched DG and I know Prometh is best demon gays.

Yes. And you do get cut again if you switch back to your old class.

I FUCKING HATE YOU 07

How the fuck do I install those portraits ? I tried to put the rance one in the USERDATA folder but it doesn't appear ingame, it's not even the same format

Wizardry

All rendered moot since stats have racial maximums, and with all the levels you can accrue with multiclassing you could max out everything.

Look at the enemies level before fighting them. Some common spawn will be high level. Usually you want to rub from these fights. They're not worth the money or experience, which won't be much. Levels play an important part in this game. With a lower lever compared to the enemy. Expect to hit less, Dodge less, and take more damage. For this reason. Small teams can be more viable despite having less people because they will naturally be a higher level. A 6 man team is still recommended though.

Also does the game have ageing/stat/level draining enemies?

Yeah, I went all out crazy on the attack on both fights and had waifu #1 rez me both times.

I bet my character would have felt embarrassed.

Have to make a folder called PICTUREGATE inside of the main folder, then have the folders in there named 01-16 instead of img01-img16, then you have to go into the second page of options, and click the upload button for each slot you want to use.

I've been messing around with multiclassing and it doesn't seem like you get to allocate more stats until you reach your original classes level. Still get sweet HP bonuses though.

thx

Well shiiiieeeet.

Btw, if you "multiclass" back into a previous class, do you waste your limited 5 chances to multiclass slots?

I'd be surprised if it had aging, because time passes slow as fuck

Yes, but using the full five steps would take ages anyway. It's mostly done for skills. I've got some rangers I'll turn into a fighter and dancer respectively, a ninja >samurai, clerics that will go into wizard at different levels so I don't have to be without one for too long. But those are already going to take ages, the grind is real.

Depends on what you mean by a "waste." You still lose half of your levels, but you get back all your skills for that class.

But yeah, it counts as one of your five class changes.

so i started this game, followed the bitch back to base, followed that red edge knight out past the 2nd ambush. went down some stairs, ran into like 10 mobs and a goblin king.

1 hit dead across the board.

Take it easy for your early game. It's rough when you have only lvl 1 characters, because each level gets you a big chunk of HP.

all the fights are static though it seems how to xp if not moving forward?

Reading all those anons getting oneshooted makes me want to play this game BADLY

Downloading right now

Ambush.

Just keep ambushing.

You get two ambush zones in M.O. Metal overground, so just keep grinding those two until your characters have some levels and decent gear.

Scavenge and ambush for more armor, look at the stats and classes of your front line.
And they're not static. Even the non-random fights give you random enemies, just play a bit more.

Any reason to use the pre-made level 3 dudes over making fresh ones?

Filler. They help fill in the ranks while you are letting the other members rest before your MC has enough levels for new members to be auto-leveled on an equal plane. They do provide cash for just existing, so I wouldn't delete them.

Is there any way to speed up time or does it only pass at a dead snails pace? Most of the party and reserves got wiped from the instant killing ninjas at the junkyard and I'm kind of just ambushing ogre village, twiddling my thumbs till some of them revive and recover.

I'm at an early stage of the game that claims I can no longer give blood crystals to the other waifus.

Is this actually temporary, and simply part of the storyline, or am I stuck on my path?

Should I dedicate to one waifu, or spread out my special abilities? If blood crystals are finite, I probably should dedicate, if not, fuck it I'll do em all.

How long is the game if i want to beat the final boss and how much content is there after beating the final boss?

Isn't it just part of the tree? you have to give 3 to riu and then the next time you can't select her.

In early game, if your characters die you might as well reload your save, restoring takes too long and is too expensive for your early game gains.

As for people getting oneshotted, just get tankier characters in the front row and squishier on the back row.
For most characters, not just the main tank, you can't min/max agressive stats or else you'll have a bad time surviving.
And for the tutorial, just don't try to be a hero. No matter your class, you're just a baby there. Just spam "defend" with your char and abuse the girl, there's no shame in it.
If she gets poisoned, just start over, you can't cure her and she WILL die before reaching the exit.

One more question before i buy the game when my party wipes do i get a game over screen or lose half of my gold?

When you and your party get wiped out, you get what you deserve for being a filthy casual

Anyone got any good portraits for faceless/hooded MCs that work for any class?

Game over screen.
I usually don't like this, but you can only save in the lobby, so it's at least balanced.
Heed my words when I say "reload when an unit falls in early game"

Can you or someone else answer this as well? I dont mind gameover screens at all i just wanna know before i buy the game

I guess me being the chosen one wasn't just a bunch of bullshit this time huh?

I guess the stat investment really does make a difference for magic in this. I crammed 30 int into my wizard from the start, and he's consistently been doing 150-180 damage per firebolt.

I know age of wonders has a pretty good hooded portrait with a shadowed face.

you can change classes more than once?
you can create a monster character just like that?

Does this game punish min-maxing? As in, if you go full retard into Str Agi and Vit will your dumb as rocks character suffer any penalties?

Got a high res image of it?

your MC is forced to watch the monsters rape your qt party, get wiped out to much and the MC will start liking it and he will take responsability of the monster offsprings
Please git gud, do it for your waifu.

I downloaded the game and took a ss ingame, due to not being able to find this shit, but this is as highres as it gets, sadly.

here you go

There's one in the OP.

I heard there was grinding, how much is there? From a scale of "The Last Remnant"-to-"Etrian Odyssey 1"

Gonna dump portraits from the last thread.
100% MADE IN 8CH PORTRAITS!

4chan portraits look way better

Filthy halfpiggu go back to pig farm!

That's all I've got, can anyone post the rest?
Some user made loads from a f2p phone game or something.

post all the pics here, but make a .zip with all of them and upload it to a share site.

Yeah, thanks, cunt. Maybe if I knew what button 4 actually corresponded with I'd be able to press it to get some help with this issue.

The Disgaea PC release had this issue as well. Why are NISA so fucking terrible at everything?

Fuck it I'll post some of the shit I've made as well.

Your multiclassing will be less effective if you spec into fighter from min-maxed wizard, I'd assume.

I can't believe how many people do this. What the fuck are you thinking? You will never take damage if you just have her use Iron Defense every turn. That's why she's there. I've never died in the tutorial area.

I've heard 60 hours if you haven't played before to reach the end. However at the end there is a considerable post game and then new game+. Someone on rpgcodex is at 100+ hours and they haven't finished postgame. There's another guy who speedran it in 15 hours. So like most games, it is going to be up to you.

Knights get a skill later on that makes them immune to critical hits (instant death) and paralyze, and with taunt they are mostly the only one who will be attacked by guys like ninjas. There is also a starting talent you can put on Knights that does the same thing if you can't stand to wait for that later ability.

Spell damage is dictated by three things that I recall:

The spell itself (every spell has a base damage)
Spell Enhance, a stat you'll find on the character screen, some gear gives it and every levelup on spellcasters gives bits of it. Wizard and cleric also have a high-level passive that give a massive (+50%) boost to it.
Int or Piety also increases effectiveness for wizard and clerics respectively

It's a tradeoff in time spent. Thing is, this game isn't the hardest dungeon crawler out there. You can beat the game without ever multiclassing or even really optimizing that hard. Multiclassing is just a min-max reward there for people who like unnecessary grinding. If you don't like grinding, it's not for you.

s-stop stealing my c-codex avatar :'(

I found a decent pic, but I cleaned it up poorly. Anyone wanna give it a go?

Simple. NISA.

Yeah fuck you too first dungeon.

really? which is harder? Dungeon Traveler 2 or this one?

there is only one thing to do user!

Can anyone make a JOHN CENA portrait for my ninja?

Just you wait until you find the fucking skeleton.

If you have a cleric that shit is EZ though

Yeah, really EZ

I had a cleric, all I did was plow my way through with sheer brute force and holy weapon.

That's the way you do it.

Run from the skelton until you get Dark Wall or whatever it's called. Or until you level up a bit. But that skeleton's not for you to beat right now, it's like those giant flying insects in Valley Of The Ruined. You're supposed to come back later and kill them then.

From what I've experienced, you basically have to grind hide/ambush points for a few hours until you get everybody geared up in uniques and +6s. I couldn't even finish that first tutorial mission where you hunt the lineage in the airplane until I did a few hours of lootgrind, because one of those guaranteed enemy spawns on the way always had two skeltals in it.
As soon as I got super geared up and went back to that same encounter, there were no skeltals. Revenge was not mine.

C'mon user, I beat that one easily without grindn

the boss itself was easy
but you know those orange faces on the map that force you into a fight? one of those just after the second ambush room was always double-skeleton, multiple times in a row to the point that I thought you couldn't get to the lineage boss until you could kill two of those skeletons at once - and they were one-shotting my party without breaking a sweat

so four hours of grinding later and i'm an unstoppable juggernaut who can probably shit on skeletons (still only level 5, but in extremely good gear), and those skeletons just stopped spawning forever. they just fucked right off.
so damn mad.

took down the lineage in a single turn, and i was disappointed that it wasn't at least a skeleton.

Kek, what a shame.
I took down that lineage easily by using the dancer's double item skill + explosives.
I was level 2 with my entire party and he lost 80% of his hp in the first 2 turns.

i'm just going normal classes, no supports, just the three fighter classes in the front, cleric wizard ranger in the back.
my combat loop is just basic attacks, defend for the cleric, and firebolt for the wizard.
i don't even think i'll be multiclassing. i just like to keep it simple and win by raw numbers. grinding is the best part of most RPGs, after all.

I like selecting skills from time to time, so my comp is:

Fighter\Knight\Samurai
Dancer\Ranger\Cleric

It's been doing decently well, it's amazing how much damage the Dancer can deal with her skills, and she also doubles as a healer due to being able to use 2 items in the same turn.

The struggle is real.

Here.

you should make the last pic about his beggars cup.

Okay.

Shit, forgot image.

Thanks, that looks a lot better than what I did.

I made the last image his smile though.

Is there a way to delete the starter characters?

Downloading the game now, for the custom portraits do I just have to follow the resolutions and filenames of what's being posted here + transparency? They seem real simple to make.

yep

You'll want to test them in-game too. The portraits overlap in the party lineup.

Not exactly difficult to notice that, just means making sure the important points can't get covered up too much and making sure they don't cover other portraits too much as well.

You can always just mvoe them around if they're covering portraits.

Right.

Still downloading and I'm bored, shoot some images you'd like me to try and make.

Eh I don't know, I already made portraits for everyone I wanted pretty much.
You could try uhn…making a portrait from Havel the Rock from DaS or Yuria of Londor from DaS III if you want.

Ended up spending more time on Havel than I should have because the only art that looked good had a missing source, so I took a colorless image and added color.

Yuria later.

Nevermind, won't do Yuria because there's no good image to use.

So stupid, time wasting design and RNG stats. I sure lost all interest I had in this real fast.

It's okay user, that's for the best. You're a casual, this genre isn't for you. You should thank the game for letting you know that early.

Here fam.

Thanks laddie, I will just clean it up a bit if you don't mind.

compression artefacts trigger me user, thats the problem here

I'm enjoying the game so far but he's right. It's a fucking bullshit mechanic and baiting people autistic enough to sit there and roll is just underhanded and petty. They should have just given you a flat bonus based on age.

It's an old mechanic in an old-fashioned game for people who enjoy their old games. If you don't like it, there's an entire industry full of games that will take joy in streamlining everything into nothingness.

The fact its completely optional makes it even more of a non-problem. Down that path ("I can't control myself, and I hate making mistakes, so remove all choices") lie modern RPGs.

It doesn't bother me that it's an optional mechanic, it bothers me that it's worthless. Why even bother having the rolls if you're just going to make the stats so easy to get and with such a low cap?

In an oldschool Wizardry game, something like that would be easy to avoid because the game manual would mention how leveling works and the stat caps. This game, on the other hand, both has no manual and explains nothing.

I am the intended audience of this game and I still think it's a very lazy implementation. The roll is there just to fill a checkbox on the "Wizardry clone" checklist, nothing more.

Well it's been almost an hour and the thread still refuses to update on my end because this site is fucking broken. Bumping with a portrait candidate so I can see the fucking thread.

It does, actually. And that manual goes real deep, everything from the rolls to the multiclassing is explained in there.

my character was a wizard with 11 int. her firebolt was doing like 12 damage a turn and she could only cast six of them through the entire area.

user, its 2016! people dont want to read manuals! you have to explain everything in the tutorial!

Holla Forums is pretty cool today.

Just like,
make good threads.
Only reason I'm playing this is custom portraits tbh, I'm loving the gameplay tho

Well the PC version sure as shit didn't come with it in any form so my point still stands.

Viola from SCV.

I removed some white I accidentally left on image C.

I tried to contribute.

Took a while to figure out how to start the game since it kept crashing. Turns out I have to have it on my C drive.

Where's everyone at in the game? I'm making my way through the Mausoleum of Frost because the underwater area's currents were just too damn tedious.

gay tbh

Pyrrha Alexandra.
I tried to do Sophitia but it looked crap in game, I'll try again later.

The first to the left is custom.

Adjusted image B

I'm grinding to get past the lewd spidergirls in Poison Town.
Those bitches hit way too hard.

I like the vanilla portraits much more than anything I've seen posted. There are a few /tg/ images I have that I'd like, but I wasn't able to figure out how to get rid of the white lines, so just gave up on it.

If you use gimp I can teach you how to remove white lines.

I don't, hence why the tips didn't help. I understand what I need to do (put a black border around the edge), I just don't know off hand how to do it in photoshop. Not a big deal, I just didn't want to spend more time on it.

If you post the pictures here I could do it 4 u.

I'm not sure I'm good or patient enough for this game

I thought the same, since I usually drop games pretty quickly, but there is something about the grunts\sound effects\music in this game that really keep me going.
The great artwork helps too.

Nice.

For imgB, if the top of the portrait is cut off won't it be cut off in-game too?

Setsuka from SCIV.
Because we need more Samurai class portraits.

But user, they just can't be properly contained in a 146x32 image!

My Fighter MC has gotten to level 13. Should I grind all the way for the "random X hits in a row" skills?

Ivy.
1/2

2/2

I don't know about late game, but that shit never seems to hit anything early game.

Anyway, the fighter skills seem only useful to be a "subclass" if you know what I mean.

Oh shit, I got my userimgC confused with a userimgA.

Ive been playing this game and I still havent found out how to know what typing an enemy is. How can I tell what's an immortal or ghost or not? Besides the obvious portraits of course

It looks like browser single player mmo.

When you kill a monster, they show up in the monster encylcopedia, dick around in the party menu when you have a chance to find it.

Here's one I made.

Does this game have multiple endings? It seems like the game is making a big deal of which Vessel you prefer, what with keeping track of how much blood crystals you give them.

just get them killed

bump for more portraits!
Posting the good cuckchan ones so that people don't have to download the archive.

Best Portrait

Dragon's Crown is a 10/10 game, shame the pc port and revitalized online is NEVEREVER

I might just be retarded.

Some of the music in this game are good. It might not be YS tier or anything but it is still good

youtube.com/watch?v=PNJMOK0yopY

Also enjoying it quiet a bit so far. I enjoy that when i expected the rope that brings me to the first boss to take me to the town (as i went left rather than right to the locked door) but it took me to the boss while i had no mana or anything left so i died. It is not a handholding game and i enjoy that

Yes. There's a certain point that branches based on how many crystals you give to each. I just wish the story was a bit different, they go out of their way to make everyone but Riu look like a total fucking asshole, makes it reeeeeally hard to actually pursue those other choices except for completionism.

Happened to me too.
I was always wondering how I only could use half the skills that I supposed learnt.

Protip: Check items and make sure they don't have activatable abilities. Cure rings which you can find early one can be activated to cast cure if you don't have them equipped. Rings seems to have their charges run out quickly, but wands seem to last a long time. So trying to grind some wands isn't a bad idea; especially for cure wands which can save money in the long run.

One more tip; confusion weapons are your lord and savior when they proc. Even more so on multihit weapons.

So, I'm like level 12 and I still don't know.
What the fuck are stock skills?How do I equip them?

Is this a glitch or something?

Skills from previous classes when you multiclass. If you don't multiclass you don't have any to equip.

Browser games commission like three decent pieces of art max, to stick on banner ads.
This game is full of excellent art.

Why do people say that this game requires grinding?
If you build a decent party and do the dungeons in the right order you barely, if at all, need to grind.
Just ambush twice in every hiding spot and you're pretty much ready to go.

What would you say is the right order?

Slums > Forrest > Shadow Palace

Although this may change depending on party comp tho.

It's not really that it requires grinding so much as grinding is the gameplay. It is enjoyable to grind ambush spots to get nice gear for everyone, if you don't like doing that… I mean, that's the entire game. The lineage bosses are just a little spice in there to occasionally make you not hit R and "instant apply" through all combat.

By this logic every single RPG ever made is a grinding game.

Brothers!

That's grinding, and the proper way to go about the levels.

Ambush until you can no longer feasibly ambush in those spots and you're grinding a ton of exp and potentially good loot.

Oh c'mon, next thing you'll say is that random encounters are grinding.

Ambush points are optional encounters, and you are grinding, for loot if not exp, but you are getting more exp than you would have had you just breezed through the labyrinth.

Random encounters are also optional since you can escape battles, but that does not make them not part of the game.

Anyone have any idea how to reduce magic damage taken? Those harpies in the orc forest are kicking my ass.

Wizard support spells, Spirit Wall divinity, SpD stat. I am not sure if damage reduction stat affects it, but the others sure do.

I personally have been avoiding them and will probably do so until I can outfit my frontliners with ranged weapons.

Wait a second.

Melee attackers can't attack flying enemies? That can't be right.

It isn't right. There isn't such a thing as "flying" as an effect.

I've gotten out of range messages despite attacking the front row harpie.

You probably have different range weapons. When you have one weapon that is longer range than the other, you are allowed to attack but one of the weapons will display the range message.

bump

THE SHADOW PALACE IS SUCH A BORING FUCKING DUNGEON HOLY SHIT

You wouldn't play a video game in English anyway

Don't even start it.
lol locked door, no boss or anything, go progress story to get past here

The same thing happened when I cleared the slums.

C'mon, the slums has 2 bosses unless you skip the white party x black party quest

I cleared all the bosses out and the loli tells me to advance but nope, got cockblocked by the dark elf better go advance the story lel

A thousand times better than Shadow Palace's "lol here have 2 ambush spots"

At least the slums were fun

The healing divinity and having a defender spam iron defense every turn is enough to beat everything in there except for the fireflies.

That's pretty much the entire game though.

Don't forget the crawlers.

Sounds like user is a fucking casul

Oh yes, those.

I beat the fireflies too by spamming wall and having my healer and ninja para and confuse one bug every turn.

How is the drop percentage on rare items btw?
I got this snake sling in the tutorial dungeon ambushspot and damn, shits crazy strong so early. Think I'll abuse it as long as possible and then try to mimic it.

Unique items are really fucking plentiful from what I've seen, just ambush for metal/silver chests and you'll get shitloads.

Silver or gtfo

C'mon the guy is obviously at early-game, metal chests don't become that common until you beat the first 3 dungeons.

What the fuck are you smoking? They're common as shit by the time you kill the airplane lineage.

In your game maybe, for me I often passed ambushes 4 times and got metal at best, silvers only became common after I beat slums/forrest/palace

Oh, my mistake, I meant to say "silver chests don't become common…"

Now I've seen everything.

Alright m80

It's just banter m8.

I'm currently waiting for this to download. Looks neat and I like dungeon crawlers.

Is there anything I should know before playing? Anything missable, beginner tips or something like that?

Tips:
Make your MC as old as possible.
Make all your other characters 18 or less.
Even if you're not gonna use them, create one character of every single class and leave them out of your party for emergencies.
If you don't feel like creating one more character of every single class at least create a cleric and a wizard.

I've been waiting for an opportunity like this. I'll write a little beginner's guide.

Let me know if you have any specific questions

What's even the point of all that autism for the first segment of the game?
You don't game over if you die anyways, even if you survive all the battles you'll just go from level 1 to 2.5, why bother?

This genre was built upon the spilt blood of autists.
Maximum efficiency, all the time.

Thanks for your kind replies!

Dude, dungeon crawlers are pretty darn autistic. I'm not gonna follow everything I've been told to a tee, but previous experience tells me that there's probably some obscure shit that would be nice to know, anyway.

Nothing. Personal preference? But if they didn't care about sucking, they wouldn't have asked, y'know?

I mean that question is always going to be an infinite rabbithole in most games. Even seriously brutal games like Elminage Gothic don't require you ever truly git gud because you can save and reload anywhere. The non-nitpicking answer is some people just like optimizing even when optimizing isn't required (and truth be told, it is required in very very few games, even games people think you have to optimize you usually don't).

If we're talking at least D&D 3.0, HP gains from con are retroactive.

BAMP

I'm kind of stuck at the second floor of the ghost town. Can I just not continue right now or is there something you need to do to go further down?

I'd have to check the map on that level to know where you are at, but if you are stuck keep exploring. There is a way through. You may have to check for secret doors.

Here's where I am

If you're going to do that just get out cheat engine and save hours of your life.

wait shit I noticed where I need to go just as I posted

Might as well just watch a video on youtube instead if you can't even be bothered to play the game.

There's no challenge involved in rolling. Rolling isn't gameplay. The only thing it tests is how much time you're willing to waste. When you are autistic enough to roll for six hours until you get an ideal roll you might as well open up cheat engine, give yourself the bonus points you're going to roll until you get anyway, and save yourself the time.

You don't have to reroll, though. In my experience people who use CheatEngine to "save time" are also going to use it to cheat in other ways. I just find it undermines the point of playing a game in the first place, especially in a game like SoSC where the game is 100% about the challenge, there is no elaborate story or gorgeous cutscenes waiting for you past the tedium, you either enjoy it or shouldn't play the game. But whatever, if people really have more fun cheating then that's fine.

Ok I'm getting my shit caved in by that Kyo/Odin bossfight, level 27-28, decent gear farmed in M.o.Storm/Ice. My knight who barely take any damage usually is getting his anus blasted by 300+ damage average per turn.

300 damage per turn should be nothing at that point, you have heals that will heal your entire HP bar. What is your max HP on your knight?

Mine had 1400~ at that point with the divinity that increases everyone's HP

Tank got 1200 HP, but those 300+damage a turn, that's after healing and Holy Light 2.

I guess I should've started that way, party make up is Knight, Cleric, Samurai, Ninja, Archer, Wizard, all in reasonably recent +10 to +15 items. I only have black wall 1 so I try to use Sword Bond 2 to try and tank Odin's onslaught but that shit is no use, on a bad turn he gets my tank to 200Hp and 3 other characters half dead. I can't even set up my combat buffs before I hit the ground should I just grind ?

You can use the initiative divinity to shuffle turn order if the healing timing is a problem. 300 damage a turn even after healing doesn't sound that bad since there is the "heal all HP, no matter what it is" spell. You have merlin dolls, right? It sounds like you should be fine. Are you actually wiping?

My experience on that fight was that he would get back-row guys to almost dead with one hit when he actually attacked backrow guy's with that one ability. Other than that his damage was low, since any damage that doesn't specifically skip taunts is going to go on your knight, and knights take pretty much no damage from attacks.

So you just spam taunt and heal up the backrow or random characters when they get hit. Not a lot of spread out damage, just a lot on one or two. Kyo is kind of annoying, but they are both melee so you only have to deal with 1 at a time.

I hope you are using the initiative divinity. It is super useful at that point in the game to be able to heal immediately when your turn starts, rather than healing AFTER the enemy acts.

Oh, yeah. Forgot to add. If you are at full health, don't forget to use holy shield. It is VERY powerful when they are using 1 or 2 very heavy attacks, since it will absorb 1 attack's damage completely no matter how much damage it does before breaking. So that's an essential opener move.

Oh shit I completely forgot about those.

I never actually used the initiative divinity, and I'll try to use Divine Shield more often, I was mostly a multi-avoid person up to that point.

Thanks for the advice.

Well that's one fucked up formatting on that post. That'll teach me to post from a phone.

only the lucky ones get high roles, are you lucky, user?

How do I stop this?This feels cheap.

Spirit Wall

see

Neat.

Does it do anything other than change portraits for you?

I've made a loli!
Anyone got any requests?

Make a gun and blow yourself cutie.

rude

It's literally faster for me to just roll up a new character and delete the old one at this point, why the hell is the punishment that drastic?

asking for it

her age is 20 for fuck's sake, am I expected to run through the game as a 60 year old man with an army of lolis?
because their injury timers are almost as long too, I tried

Weird then, because I made everyone in my part 18 and less and last time someone died it only took 1 day for them to recover.
But that was early-game, now I just reload my save when someone dies.

I want to fuck Fuuka so bad.

It only takes like 1-2 days for them to recover, but then an additional 7+ for them to regain their LP.

Can you do something with this?

Here fam.
It looks good in my opinion.

bump

Thanks, user.

th-thanks

Posting some I made.

the volafile link for the transparency got taken down and/or expired
can somebody reupload?
thanks in advance

What are the button?

I press 1 on my keyboard but nothing happen?

Kek.
From my experience
1 = left click\space bar\ enter
4 = right click
5 = Q
6 = E

No idea about the others though, i'm sure there are more.

overall pretty good

I'm also making some Ebola-Chan, Bane, and Pepsiman ones.

Also, made this 4U big guy.

There should be a "Holla Forums plays Stranger of Sword City" thread where portraits are posted as characters and decisions are made as usual.

This is going to be awkward, but can someone make some Steve Urkel avatars for me?

I'm really not good at this.

Making it as we speak.

Thanks, user.

Taking requests

Much appreciated.

Probably can't get Pirotess in that much, but much obliged to your craft good sir.

As a teammate, she'd go great with

I find it's better to rotate a pic and use that for the eyes to straighten them out.

I tried this one and it says "Image size incorrect"
bummer..

Just making sure that no one is working or planning on working on this, because I'm doing a tremendously shitty version as we speak.

Guy who made the other ones here. I'm not planning on it.

Might do this one later

How about this?

I read all the previous stuff about multi-classing but some stuff has not been covered.

I started as a knight, if I multi-class into a wizard or whatever can I go back to the knight class later, how long would I be stuck as a wizard? What level is sensible to begin multi-classing?

is that bamboo spear you get at the start (with a knight) really better than a battle dagger +1 ? or bent spear +1?

As far as I know you can go knight - wizard -knight without any problems at any point, however that would take away one of your multi-class chances, which apparently is not a problem, because there isn't really any need to min max to that degree.
For that reason a lot of people seem to change classes as soon as they can at least once, just so they can unlock additional weapon types for their character.
Other than that for me it makes sense to change class once you unlocked all skills in your current class that you want.
If you really wanted to min max I would think that it would be best to class change as late as possible, since you keep 50% of your current hp pool on top of what you would normally have at that level.

13 is a good level to multiclass, because then you unlock a slot for multiclass skills permanently on that character.

Keep in mind that you can only change class x5 per character.

Pay attention to things like range, damage, 1h, 2h, penalties and bonuses. All of those things matter when choosing a weapon.

But yeah, in general, when you compare a bent spear to a better version you'll always pick the better spear.

When choosing character portraits, try to use those that are more centralized and neutral, otherwise there'll be a lot of overlapping.

So something more like this?

Yeah that's good. I can give it a go but it won't be pretty.

Additionally, both her ponytail and her staff will knock into people's faces.

That's quite alright with me, I don't plan on having too many custom portraits in the game.

I'm a bit tired though so ill be heading to bed for now and check the thread tomorrow

i don't know how to make the portraits, but she's not even holding the staff so about 2 seconds in photoshop can remove both.

I took out the staff from the smaller ones. It's shitty, but enjoy.

Got my whole party heal rings, fucking comfy :p

new bread