Dungeon crawlers

Can we have a dungeon crawlers thread?.
I wanna get into these kinds of games because truly, the only thing that i enjoy the most about JRPGs are the battles. Any suggestions? I wanted to get started with these.

Other urls found in this thread:

noxforum.net/index.php?topic=3160.0
rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/gamergate-the-sjw-in-gaming-dumping-ground.90469/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

have you played anvil of dawn op its a great dungeon crawler, i say if you want to get into dungeon crawlers you should play it.

also the ost is so catchy.

haha retarded nigger

Haha Ultima Underworld is differet or so ive heard

Lurk rpgcodex.net, one of the best places to learn about cRPGs and dungeon crawlers.

can you explain doesn't jrpg just mean role playing games from japan.

has anyone ever played the Eye of the Beholder series does it hold up?

it's ok, I prefer lands of lore myself. Ultima Underworld 1&2 is good, 2 is more polished.

The Dark Spire was my first introduction to dungeon crawlers and I have to say it was a good experience. It was funny, the floor by floor stories were really fun, and I liked the combat for as throwbacky as it was.

In particular Slash was a really fun guest character and if I had the patience for another 90+ hour romp I'll pick up this game again. Plus it gave me a good soundtrack cd which was a rarity for me back in the day.

Nice to know, i ordered an r4 so thats why i asked.

thanks user. after i finish eye of the beholder i'm gonna check out lands of lore.

does anyone have the Holla Forums recommended dungeon crawler infograph.

Fixed that for you.

Might & Magic 4+5: World of Xeen a best
Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday and Matrix Cubed a damn good
D&D goldbox series a classic
Etrian Odyssey a classic
Ultima series up through 5 qualify and a best

if we're counting Ultima Underworld in genre, then I recommend Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall and ES1: Arena (if you can deal with the clunky)
also King's Field if you like it bastard hard

ultima underworld is something of a first person action adventure (think elder scrolls. Actually, come to think of it, underworld did shit that wasn't done again until deus ex at the very earliest) rather than a dungeon crawler
it was built upon an engine originally intended for ecosystem simulations, so you have actual interesting dynamic effects happening based on your actions

remembered a pretty good one:
Space Griffon VF-9
you pilot a mech and explore a space station looking for an alien monster

I hate turn based combat. What are some semi action dungeon crawlers?

Daggerfall is a great dungeon crawler game with huge handmade dungeons, but it's hard as fuck in the beginning and the dice rolling is annoying than Morrowind. King's Field is just a boring game with really clunky controls.

How?

Looks awesome

daggerfall dungeons are randomly generated and if you know how to make a character in any pre oblivion tes game the dice rolling wouldn't be so annoying.

trips for what?

Drama duh

Valhalla Knights 1+2 somewhat fit that bill. The fighting is action based with various classes to pick and choose from but the dungeons themselves are relatively small. The enemies however, can kick your ass badly at times to offset this.

A bit late but I have this.

what happened to rpgcodex?

A simple Google search would reveal that they became an SJW hugbox.

can you give me the green text version?

CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM

Did DU's pranks finally get to you, or what?

there's lots of item gathering and throwing a la Oblivion and the like. Influencing local politics is going to do more for you than grinding kills, etc, at least in the first one
overall it's an action-adventure RPG in a dungeon setting more than a traditional dungeon crawl. Not that that's a bad thing

Ultima Underworld is nothing like a JRPG you pleb faggot. It's a straight dungeon crawler spun off from a WRPG franchise.

noxforum.net/index.php?topic=3160.0

Nox is a great dungeon crawler, especially its quest mode. If you're looking for an awesome challenge, try making a new character and setting the stage level to be 9999. With the exception of the warrior character, every stage is doable. The wizard tower stage is a whole new level of brutality, but it's still possible.

Ultima isn't a dungeon crawler at all
What the fuck are you smoking. Underworld is more a dungeon crawler than the entirety of ultima.

If you have extremely low standards then sure.

How is that relevant it to not being a dungeon crawler?
Grinding isn't something that defines dungeon crawlers

so i suppose the first person dungeons in ultima 1-5 as well as akalabeth, all of which are basically wizardry (with added tactical combat starting in 3) don't pass muster when the point of the thread is pretty much wizardry-likes?

No, the basic structures are manually coded, but there are random stuff thrown in. It's a mix if procedural generation and manual design.

Nah, I wouldn't like it.

Oh, I see.

Dungeon crawlers are more about hack and slash stuff. When killing enemies isn't the main point of the game, then it's just not a dungeon crawler in a traditional sense.

Are you one of those guys who like Arena more?

Actually, I once read an interview about this by one of the developers. Apparently how it was done is that their tools automatically generated the world, and then they manually tweaked it from there. It's just that a lot of areas were barely touched in that manual edit phase. But when people are under the impression that the game world changes every time you start a new game… nope, completely wrong, the game is 100% static.

Uhh, forgot to add… with the caveat that monster and item placement is randomized. But the world itself isn't, other than the generation they used in development and then edited.

Are you fucking retarded?
Dungeon crawlers are about exploring dungeons primarily and solving puzzles in them secondarily.

The only good dungeon crawler with any semblance of level design in the TES series is Battlespire. Arena doesn't suffer from nonsense level design by having hand made levels but the design in them is pretty unimpressive even for its time.

The dungeons are still completely randomly generated except the story important dungeons.
Seriously go run it and enter the same dungeon twice. It won't be the same.

It assigns blocks randomly, but those blocks are static. That's why certain areas of every dungeon start to become rote–it's just the connections of those blocks that vary. (Or, hilariously, get bugged where they don't connect.)

That is how most 3D games do random generation

Well, Battlespire is the TES spinoff that was intended to be nothing more than a dungeon crawler. Okay though, I admit that Daggerfall's strength isn't it's dungeon crawling.

At least you can destroy walls.

the continuity regarding that in Morrowind was interesting
in one of the dwemer ruins the researchers could hear machinery through the walls but couldn't discern a way to get at it. They lamented that the last source of knowledge of the destroy walls spell was lost in the battle against jagar tharn

Lost opportunities, tbh fam.

Might & Magic 6 and 7
Wizardry 6-8
Temple of Elemental Evil
Grimrock 1 and2

rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/gamergate-the-sjw-in-gaming-dumping-ground.90469/
Read it all.

Is Stranger of the Sword City included here?
Is it good?

sorry didn't mean to quote

Don't quote me or my posts ever again.

It's solid, just make sure you enjoy jap Wizardry clones. Solid 8-9~ depending on how you prioritize dungeon design, it has mostly simple dungeons as compared to the peak of the sub-genre but makes up for it in tons of polish and great mechanics otherwise.

Do you count hack n slashes like diablo too?

forgot about that, loved that the two games interacted

Ma'aq the liar directly addresses the axe thing in Oblivion
Dunno about Skyrim

Will Underworld Ascendant be any good?

Also I've never played any of the grimrock vidya. I tried playing the first a few times but for some reason I just keep losing interest or forgetting about the game after the tutorial.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup has saved my sanity multiple times when there's nothing do to at work.

I never liked Ultima Underworld. It was way too fetch questy and the combat was awful. I played it at release when guides weren't readily available and wound up giving up after scouring the dungeon for some super obscure thing it wanted for days. Had way more fun with Might & Magics and to a lesser extent Eye of the Beholder 2.

Just play Dungeon Master.

can someone give me the name of that free dungeon crawler that has pixel shit art and kinda looks like enter the gungeon. it was developed by two guys. I remember someone shilled it on "free games" threads. It has a nice art style and I hope devs arent sjws or some shit.

Ive heard good things