Vidya Mary Sues

Who are the biggest mary sues in vidya?

Note: mary sue is simply a trope & despite what some flannel enthusiasts have said in the past, a trope is not automatically bad.

any female western characters in the current video-game era

Mario dies in two hits hows dat a mary sue

No examples?

'Mary Sue' has lost all meaning because of how often it's thrown around. Canonical characters can't be mary sues because Mary Sue was initially created by a Star Trek fan to mock the typical Star Trek fanfic OC who seduces everyone's favorite Vulcan.
That being said, a Mary Sue can also mean just a very poorly written and developed character.

One hit, mate

I was counting his maximum potential

But Mary Sues are. It's not that they're 'perfect' characters, Dickens wrote a lot of 'perfect' characters. It's the way in which they are 'perfect' that make them Mary Sues

Are you implying Lightning is a bad character?

Toriyama pls go

Yes.

She's not even the best female Cloud

Fuck you, I am not Toriyama, there is nothing wrong with Lightning.

How dare you make me imagine Aya Brea with a penis.

Aren't there games where you lose a power-up, become big mario, lose big mario, become small mario, then one more hit as small mario = death? That's 3 hits as the maximum potential.

does pic related count?

Well, if we want to get into that, in the RPGs he starts out with like 10 HP.

the entire fucking race

she is a completely shit character. the only thing lightning is good for is getting fucked and even then there are way hotter characters than her.

That's probably why the number of hits it takes him to die is not mentioned on that graphic. That's far too much to consider.

No she isn't, and those pictures have the completely wrong proportions of her.

Thinking about it, I'd argue that Mario isn't a Mary Sue purely because he's barely a character. His personality is very nebulously defined

She's extremely whiny & dies in horrifically spectacular ways, but I don't know much else about nuLara.

He's an asshole to his brother sometimes. Would you say, Luigi's personality is more defined?

Luigi's definitely got a personality, but he's also not a Mary Sue, because he's a coward and, according to his partners in Thousand Year Door, often horrifically incompetent.

No, a Mary Sue can only be a fanfiction character meant to act as a self-insert and to derail the plot, putting all focus on that character. People who use it in any other context are misusing the term.

You can call a character overpowered.
You can call a character poorly written.
You can call a character an author insert.
You can call a character wish fulfillment.

That does not make them a Mary Sue. Mary Sue is a very specific phrase. The only times when you can possibly apply it outside of fanfiction is with sequels and the like written by different authors.

For example:

The Sylvari were developed by people other than the original authors. The characters of Scarlet Briar and the like were created for the wish-fulfillment and self-insert purposes of the new staff. The race was made and shaped as they desired, in contrast to the pre-existing lore of the world. Calling the race a race of Mary Sue is not entirely accurate, but it is still very close.

What about Wesley Crusher? He fits the term exactly, yet he was created by Gene Roddenberry, creator of Star Trek.

If you're splitting hairs & giving a narrow definition then the term, then similarly, the term "waifu" should see absolutely no use from anyone unless they genuinely believe themselves to be in a long term relationship with something akin to a tulpa.

I never gave the term a narrow definition, I simply stated that being 'perfect' is not the only requirement for a character to be a Mary Sue

I should think that you would describe Wesley all those other things, but not a "Mary Sue".

How about "Marvin Sue"?

Shut up, Wesley.

What about Wesley Sue?

"Poorly written" is practically in the definition of a Mary Sue.

However, canon things can't be Mary Sues/Gary Stus as they're fan creations by nature. The term you're looking for is a Creator's Pet, which is basically a Mary Sue/Gary Stu that's canon.

Ughhhhh this race

>except the Forsaken are still unapologetic dicks at the end of the day, while all the non-evil Sylvari are basically goody two-shoes (unless RPed, but that's another evil unto itself) and are utterly dull as far as races go

Mfw

Words need to mean something at the end of the day, otherwise everyone is just meaninglessly shouting "FAGGOT" at each other.

Now I know how Wesley feels.

FAGGOT

they exist to make other characters likeable all the time.

see King of the hill

I wonder if the guys who made this game have a snuff fetish

Mary Sues are, by definition, shit.

This fucking bitch.

This. Hell she was a fucking mary sue in the novels as well

adding to all this mario talk, i dont think being an upbeat go getter makes you a mary sue. sure he usually wins in the end but thats just the nature of the player character in a light hearted game with little emphasis on the story. and the games usually start off with him failing to stop the bad guy from doing something

Yes. Toriyama was literally obsessed with her, in fact he was the one who pushed Lightning into Dissidia Duodecim, even though Nomura didn't want to do it. Sadly Toriyama is buddy buddy with the president of Square Enix so he's allowed to get away with things

Fucker's useless when you think about it, even his brother has the advantage of jumping higher.

Mario runs faster, though. How a fat man runs faster than his thinner, lankier brother I have no idea, but that's the lore

Mario certainly isn't a Mary Sue. He's doesn't have the illusion of depth required to be a Mary Sue.

This faggot

Shame, the dragon looks hot.

Just because the term original arose from shitty fanfiction doesn't mean it can't be applied to other works.

If we were to follow your logic, Mary Sue isn't only a fanfiction specific term, it is also a Star Trek fanfiction term. But it isn't, and it would be stupid to imply otherwise. Mary Sue is an archetype, not a phenomenon, and as such, isn't exclusive to any kind of media.

I mean, the term is often misused, but not in the way you are imagining. If it was invented, it was thanks to fanfiction, but that's because most are so shitty they were ridden with them. They can also appear in "official" works, but since these are done by professional or expert writers, they are not as common.

CM pls

A mary sue can work. You just gotta embrace the mary sue instead of pretending it doesn't exist and just go over the top with it

Meant for

there is a difference between an op character and a mary sue.

WRONG DOOR

I wouldn't say Dante is a Mary Sue, because he fits into his setting.

He is a man of refined taste.

Let me get this straight
A Mary Sue is a character thats shoehorned into the story, is extremely bland and unlikeable and only exists to further the plot because he or she is better than everyone. Right?

pic related.

There's different flavors of Sue, but that's the general premise. They may also stop the plot because they're so snowflake-special.

mario does not run faster. he slides less than luigi
luigi has less weight meaning his center of gravity is way worse making him mores slippery . while mario with the extra weight can center his gravity way better than luigi making him more resistant to slipperiness

Shut up with the semantics and post some Mary Sues.

How about Modern Sonic?

see

Shadow is an even bigger Gary Stu.

I'll be honest, I haven't even played this game but I am getting some jjba vibes with that picture.

Generally, yes. Also worthy of note is that they'll be one of, if not the protagonist of the work they're in. The reason why the term is so closely associated with fan fiction–besides it's origin–is because fan fiction tends to have author inserts that are especially egregious in this fashion.

This has to stop. Too many people on Holla Forums want to fuck dragons and dinosaurs. It has to end.

That wasn't really a unique power until the Adventure series, and even then there were still a few other characters with Super forms.

they are also considered in the right even when they are not.

Wasn't she raped though? Mary Sues don't get raped, they magically get out of every danger.

What about Geralt, he does absolutely everything. He slays dangerous monsters that most folk would get horribly mutilated by, cute sorceresses fight over him, fucking kings want him on their payroll. He's super special even among the witchers, and he always survives everything. When he enters a room, he's always the focus of it, and not to mention that he's always the most important person in every story because muh morals in a moralfree world.

He's married to. Wonder what his wife felt about his obsessiveness. Did he make her cosplay as Lightning one night and fucked her?

He's different in the novels, where in which he gets his ass handed to him by a cripple

The creator of Dragon Ball did the art for the game

Is this considered cheating? Because goddamn.

Solid Snake, but I think it's nice because they humanize him through other means. Idk.

Actually bad things do happen to Mary Sues and quite often have some sort of tragic backstory.

It is sorta weird to apply it to a player character like Geralt. On one hand you can play him to be almost perfect in every way, but at the same time he can fuck up a lot of quest and leave everybody dead. Also you are playing him so in a way you are the Mary Sue if he is one.

Well that's why he's not a Sue. He's certainly not out of place in the story, and his character is not overblown.

Street Fighter's Mary Sue

Shit you're right, my mistake

He has his faults
>ages rapidly fast

I'm glad she's dead where she belongs.

To be fair, she's only in the last variant of SFA3 (so far). She was never in any of the arcade or home version releases, nor even in the GBA port that included the other "new" fighters like Maki, Yun & Eagle.

At one point Lightning literally suggests murdering a god producing food for an entire nation, just to throw off the authorities and without considering the fact it would kill untold numbers of civilians.

There was not a single good character in FF13.

kefka gets praise for shit like that

>>>/out/

True. I hope we get an HD version down the line so I don't have to strain my hands with my PSP.

I'm not holding my breath though.

I would say Big Boss is MGS' Mary Sue, if only because despite all the dumb shit he does, he is still considered a hero by everyone, not to mention it is possible he is even more powerful than Solid Snake.

If I am not mistaken, Snake was supposed to be the weak brother of the two, yet he managed to get that far through the power of sheer will (MEME > GENE).

On top of that, in MGS4 you realize he is just a human with balls of steel. Usually, Mary Sues have tragic backstories, but not tragic endings.

Is that confirmed? In MGS4 you can unlock a flashback scene by killing too many people during the first mission in which Snake remembers Liquid's "because you enjoy the killing, that's why", and immediately after that he starts puking. It's almost as if he wasn't enjoying it.

And at the end of the game, while talking to Otacon, it is implied that all he wanted was to live a normal life.

I'm not sure how much of that can be considered bad writing when some of MGS4's plot hinges on Big Boss being held up as the icon of an ideal soldier, which helps to keep the war economy going by promoting soldiers as the job to be.

Anyone who thought that's what a Mary Sue is, is a fucking retard

But you're an idiot when you say it can only be applied in fanfiction

Modern use often changes from origins. For example, a faggot was a bundle of sticks.

I never said that. You might want to check the IDs

You're right I fugged up, sorry user

Feels like I can't do anything right in this world anymore

Those semantics are there to keep you from misapplying the term for bullshit you dislike.

The Metal Gear series had this weird thing where the closer you are to being a mary sue the more horribly you tend to fuck things up for everyone (unless you're Ocelot).

There's misapplying a term and then there's quibbling over it

True: a trope is not automatically bad. Many of them aren't; they are simply common storytelling mechanisms that work. A trope isn't a cliche like some people like to think of them. It's like having a tool box full of different wrenches, screwdrives, etc. used for different things, and calling them "bad" simply because they've been used for a very long time.

False: A Mary Sue isn't a bad trope. Mary Sues are fucking awful. No, being a trope doesn't make something bad, but mary sue is a trope that IS bad, and is usually shitty fanfiction tier character designs where the chick is awesome at everything all the time and has no weaknesses.

See Rey or whatever the fuck her name is from the latest Star Wars catastrophe.

Neither of these characters are Mary Sues. In fact I'd argue that MGS doesn't have any.

What's this gif from? That's strangely hilarious stuff.

Mario Power Tennis

A Mary Sue is like the perfect shit. You can never describe it, but you'll know it when you see it

You mean a character that wins against the odds so bad that you are rooting for their enemies?
In movies that can be seen quite well.
Always, everywhere and especially if the reason the enemies were doing stuff was to save the planet, their loved ones or other good reasons for doing something.

JOHN CENA FOR GARY STU

The problem with Ocelot is that you usually want your antagonists to be powerful/clever/resourceful so that the protagonist has a challenge.

And when you stretch a series enough while keeping that character as an antagonist, he needs to keep winning just to stay in the game.

TL;DR: A recurring antagonist like Ocelot always has a big risk of becoming a Mary Sue. That's how the Joker got into his current situation as well.

I should add that the character in question just started doing whatever they were doing.
Which is the typical Mary Sue start of the story.
So the guy from Avatar is a definite Marty Stu while, for example, Luke Skywalker is only sort of Marty Stu. He did train, after all, and got gud from being just some guy on that desert planet.
That is something a Mary Sue would never have to do.
They would just go up, take that lightsaber and then have a flashback because all the previous Jedi had fused their souls into an emprah soul and that character in question now has all their skills and knowledge.

Even discounting his connection with Vader (that wasn't there in the first movie) you could argue Luke had natural talent in the Force. After all he only had the barest of training and was already able to do several impressive feats like having supernatural accuracy and reflexes.

Your other points are still valid, but I think Aang had going for him that in the end he was just a kid and often felt overwhelmed by the pressure of the title bestowed on him, instead of charging forward like a Mary Sue would do.

now, Korra? That's a Mary Sue.

Robin from Awakening is the bigger Fire Emblem Mary Sue.

Luke got his ass handed to him and when he did something wrong, he'd get rightly chastised by Han or someone else. Star Wars follows the classic "chosen one" story, so Luke does have an easier time. Not to mention, he DOES have to get powerful, because he has to triumph in the end.
Now, Rey from Force Awakens? There's a Sue if I've ever seen one.

I wouldn't consider Mario a mary sue when the sole purpose of his character is to be adaptable and work for any genre he needs to be in. Even though that picture lists all of his strengths, they vary between games and don't mention his weaknesses, which also change depending on what genre of game it is

It's like saying Kirby is a mary sue because of his copy abilities and other powers, it doesn't really hold up

Well he did get hit the very first time he used that flying training turret. And he later got rekt by Vader when they fought.
Now that I think about it, Han Solo helped him in the 4th film,
so another point of a Mary Sue would be to steal teh show from all other characters.
They absolutely have to one-up whatever the other characters were doing.
Avatar(the terrible furry one) showed those aspects very nicely. (Or horrendously)
All other sidecharacters (The chick with the helicopter who got shot down after doing what at the end amounts to nothing, the sceintist who died and merged into that weird hivemind thing? the protagonist later survived that, the rival of sorts was shot before actually doing something, all those guys on the ground were killled by mechs) get completely overshadowed and amount to absolutely nothing.

Actually within his world this is nothing special, Wario is significantly stronger and can transform into more distorted shapes than Mario, Luigi can jump higher, propel himself mid air with sheer force of will and his fireballs defy gravity, peach can hover in midair, has unlimited storage in her dress and is the fucking ruling party of the mushroom kingdom, Bowser can grow larger at will, punches like a cannonball and rules over his own kingdom, Toad can run at sonic speeds as well as has the brick breaking powers of Mario, and toad is just the average fucking person within one of the worlds kingdoms.

Additionally

There's a point where there's prodigy and Mary Sue, and this character passed it.

Technically every protagonist in vidya is a mary sue in some form, because the player is controlling them. In a game with no story, where everyone is equal, it's usually the playable character who does the most interesting things, because the player has the initiative to do stuff.

As for NPC Mary Sues I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Now now, user, there's nothing wrong with wanting to tenderly romance a sexy dragon.

my nigga

She also looks ugly as fuck. Gotta have that.

he's also a retarded simpleton.

Mario is a debate-able gary stu. Sure you have all that info, but he didn't start that way. He grew into it. What did he start off as? A little fucker carpenter and plumber who got sucked into an unknown world of super abilities? Nothing of his was natural, was just lucky enough to get ported to a location where he could get a slight increase in endurance and I'm sure he prayed to jesus he won't die from work hazzard. He is Italian after all. We didn't get more gary stu info till a few years later.

Forgot to mention, learned an entire alien language all within 6 months as well.

That too. Based on nu-Halo lore there's a lot of progressive elements and Mary Sue characters that don't make much sense.characters

I notice this in Half life, Blue Shift and Decay that a couple of scientists in hazard suits and a security guard wearing regular armor manage manage to kill dozens of aliens and soldiers.

Sam died for this.

I bet this resonates with a lot of mothers from my generation.

I bet this resonates with YOUR mother.

Totally.

All of the new Spartans outside of Buck have retarded ass armor sets. I don't understand how they can field so many amount of variants as the maintenance costs for all the unique sets must be ridiculous. The colors they use now have this same issue 40k Space Marines have where they are super bright and stick out like a sore thumb.

Because he's the villain. Poisoning an entire village makes sense for an evil clown like him.

Starving people is not something a hero does.

Maybe you should go back to >>>/tvtropes/ where the cancer like you belongs

Much better than old Halo, which gave Master Chief racist blue eyes :^)

He is constantly taken advantage of financially and for work by someone far less powerful than him. He is not loved by all, and he fucked up by trusting Nero after their second confrontation. Nero redeemed himself later, but he still got that wrong.

And this is all just in DMC4. He is not a mary sue, just powerful and the skill to use that power to its fullest when he wants to.

Warhammer 40k is full of brightly colored armies, so it kind of evens out. Yes, it looks stupid, but its supposed to be satire, and failing that, stupid fun. Its also why you have guys in armor that weighs about as much as a car in armor that would be difficult to hide anywhere that isn't the kingdom of the blind and deaf as the masters of stealth.

You don't need to be masters of stealth, you just need less bright fucking colors.

This nigger is pretty much the oldest Mary Sue in the book.

Slightly less so in the Dynasty Warriors version I guess, but that's more because everyone is a Mary Sue in Dynasty Warriors.

Decades and what the fuck is mary sue

As much as I hate to admit it, Duke is a Gary Stu.

At the very least, it's played for parody in many of his games. Not so much in Forever.

Characters can fluctuate into Mary Sue/Gary Stu levels if written poorly. Wolverine and Batman are standards for this. They are popular and have superpowered skills aplenty, but are meant to have flaws and traits that others can fill in. The issue becomes when they stay as the main focal point in stories or movies and essentially are the only ones capable of solving the issue, unlike say Superman or Cyclops, or even a team effort.

Nigger you don't even know what a Mary Sue is then. Shit, even the website named after this trope is terrible.

Gordon Freeman.

Need I say more?

Any edits with heart shaped pupils?

but joking aside.
How was Millia a mary sue? She was pretty much brain washed by cult fantics at a young, and her "power" came from her 4 godish spirits. She got her ass handed to her several times, and her ignorance was her downfall on several occasion, both comical and serious.

My only issue was how Jude never saw her unyielding determination as something much worse. Something she even notes once where she realizes if she doesn't "complete her mission" she basically has nothing to live for and has been wasting her life, which was at that point a giant lie.

She wasn't perfect by any means, despite being a "perfect peak human" but everything made sense. Why would you make a less then perfect human to pretend to be god.

I didn't play the sequel though, and everyone said it was much worse.

Something is wrong about this mary sue thing.

You did all those things as that character, in power armor. As in, better than regular military armor, with super luck. Aided by some retarded out of world meme magic.

Have you seen the Conan segment where he plays this game? He never expected to see any kind of death; his reaction is hilarious. Start at about 6 minutes if you want to jump to it.

i was going to call that guy a faggot however the disclaimer he gives at the start forgives everything

he seems like a pretty nice man

Kormir

One of the general constants of a Mary Sue is that everyone likes them, no matter what. This is definitely not the cause for Geralt. He is infinitely useful, but generally hated by all.

woah is the one in white a fucking fag?

Gee, user, it might have something to do that literally the entire story is about her. Everybody kisses Millia's ass about how beautiful/powerful/all-around amazing she is, nobody says anything bad about her and if they do they're painted as a villain who secretly respects her. Near the end of the game she sacrifices herself to save everyone, the only thing the other characters ever do is mope and talk about how sad they are she's gone and how they can never be like her.
Numerous times throughout the game, the player is put into unwinnable boss fights that you can only progress after a cutscene in which Millia jumps in and saves the day. This is most apparent when you fight the real Maxwell (i.e. God), and Millia jumps in to save everyone again after getting their asses kicked.
At the end of the game, Millia sacrifices herself again (because some asshole killed God and harvested his power) so she can become God and save the world but this time it's treated as a happy occasion, and everyone says good bye, even Alvin who has no reason anymore to be pals with everyone or even helping them kill God for that matter.

It's a medic girl I think

Its been a while since I played it but,

Alvin was more then ready to leave Exodus, he was fed up with it. His mommy was the only real reason he stuck around.

Sharing is caring Elize, being a 12 year old loli, doesn't have a lot of options on who to follow. They even try to put her up in a mansion, that get immediately sacked.

Driselle butler Rowen was following because he wanted to pay back the group for saving Driselle? Then he got a new students in Loli and not god? his reason was probably the weakest.

Jude was originally doing it because he saw blatant evidence that "god" was trying to do something, and was pleaded to help her by the
"ancient ones". They never dove into how strong Jude's fanatic beliefs was, but seeing how fanatical some of the other characters are it wouldn't be hard to believe someone would follow "Jesus". Leia same as Jude, but more because she wanted to cone him or something.

Which played to the twist that she was a pawn, and Maxwell was an asshole. Everything was all a ploy, and everyone got fooled, including the Rebels Maxwell lured out of hiding by letting them follow the Death Star Plan, or something.

I don't know, I thought she played the human robot angle well, but everyone was played by the actual Maxwell for that reason. That was a shit plan though. You have a character that everyone believes is god, and up to point where they sack her spirit elements at the start, she pretty much was. When she loses them, she is pretty much worthless. and then rpg leveling commences.

but again, if you where making an artificial human made with discount souls, you would probably make a borderline super soldier, with big tits for synergy and diplomacy.

Technically, when Millia jumps in in the fight with Maxell, it was her spirit buddies giving Maxwell the finger. They knew he was being a prick. Also understandable that they might grow attach to the stooge they where raising for 20 years.

Self-sacrifice is suppose to be a heroic trait living through it is better. but someone saving another's life at the cost of their own might effect people.

but the concept of death seemed to have escaped her, she was always told that if she did die, she would just reincarnate, so it was just a minor inconvenience in her mind. To me, that seemed like more brainwashing she got. She came off more like a manchurian candidate then anything else.

Although I agree that them liking the "unyielding determination" she much complete her programmed mission thing was a bit stupid. Pre-twist though, it was understandable for her party members to follow. Post twist they should have had a better reason for them to keep following her other then "power of friendship".

but yes, making a character a "god" character is pretty Mary-Sue territory, but then characters like Zues aren't labeled that because they have flaws that get them in trouble. Like Porking everything that moves and pissing off you god wife.

Shit looks so different in the tiny text box.

Prodigious

You didn't caught mew

You could never catch them all back then and you can't now, Pokemon was a mistake.

Guan Yu is still a worshipped diety. No shit.

Geralt is nearly invincible on the battlefield, but that's because he's highly trained and has cheats
In most other aspects, like making decisions and being social, he's kind of shit. Most people don't like him on sight, many don't even consider him human, he's kept around because he is a useful asset, not because they like him, and he knows that quite well.

He lives in his own mental hell as well, as he is in constant conflict with himself.
Not to mention he hates his job, hates people, is used as a sex tool by random women, and cannot become anything else as his body is crafted specifically for one task.

He's got the identity issues of a half-caste, the social problems of an autist, he's ugly, his dick is useless, he has no place in society and no one wants him around. He even says in the beginning of Witcher 1 that people constantly underpay him for his work. He'd probably live a much happier life if he just went to go in the woods as a celibate hermit.

In that "Pokemon Origins" series based on the original games and following Red, it suggests that Gym leaders have different leveled Pokemon suiting differently leveled challengers. Shows this in Brock's Gym Battle if I recall correctly.

At least he's not Anthony Burch

Ciri however is literally a god and perfect in every way.
The books took a horrible nosedive as soon as she became the MC.

Would you say that they're worse mary sues than the Asari, Humans, Krogan, and Turians in Mass Effect combined and flatter than every single race in that franchise combined?

Well, there is this thing in the first Pic.

Don't pretend it isn't a Vidya Mary Sue.

i'd also argue SRW is rife with them since it is ultimately Fanfiction.

Normally good yes, but it is kinda hard to deny shit like Rex, Ing/Ex Ex-Bein Ex Ex and the like arn't kinda Sue-ish when they do dip into the bad writing.

Hell, you can arguably even make a case for Setsuko due her whole "Tragic Maiden" story and not-romance with Shinn.

The transformation's temporary though.

It's a suit designed to keep you from dying to radiation poisoning while carrying out science experiments not some super battle armor meant to withstand bullets.

Right, tropes are not always bad, but a Mary Sue is pretty much always bad.

I sense faggots formerly from neo-Holla Forums in this shit thread.

Why? Get your shit together. Things are different here.

Kirby is literally just a mysterious creature that can absorb powers. He acts extremely childish and mainly thinks about eating to the point he'll accidentally set loose a dark entity that was sealed up inside the box he thought contained his stolen cake. You're a fucking idiot.

Toads run even more faster.