COLLECTATHON

So after years of gaming, it finally dawned on me: my favorite genres were exploration platformers with a shitton of stuff to collect.

What are some great collectathons?

Here's the ones I can think of:

SOON

Jak and Daxter is probably one of the best collectathon platformers of them all. Sequels de-emphasize the collectathon aspect and go for a GTA-esque mission structure with cyberpunk science-fantasy aesthetic, guns, and a Devil Trigger Dark Jak mode that can be upgraded with the skull gems of defeated enemies..

The PS1 Spyro games are excellent and still hold up pretty damn well (even visually; not something every 3D PS1 game has going for them). The first is pretty much just straight collecting, beating enemies, and platforming (with the entire trio having a gliding mechanic to them to reach places, as opposed to just jumping), while 2 and 3 have a bit more of a mission based style to obtain the stuff that isn't just gems.

Kirby Air Ride had those goal grids, those were more fun than they should be.

Jak 2 is so bad that it's almost an edgy unplayable mess and people only like it because nostalgia. Jak 3 isn't much better but at least they made some effort to fix the claustrophobia of 2.
Still, 1 is one of the best collectathon games to exist.

Jak II is great, the only people who hate it just couldn't get good and hated that there weren't checkpoints every 5 steps like most modern games.

Everyone is forgetting about the KING of collectathons.

DK64 is okay but BK was better.

My save file on Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, started in 2004, is still at 99%. There is one chest I have never opened.

I don't know how many hours I spent on the shitter as a kid with my GBA, trying to find that last chest. Never happened.

the last chest is your feelings

Mario 64 and Sunshine were great. The first Asscreed was too.

Yes! asscreed, multiple repeated missions with a bunch of shit garbage you have to collect that take hours to get and isn't fun the whole way through, truly a masterpiece to be fitted with actual good games

I liked it.

You dont deserve those quads

Voodoo Vince is fun.

You cheeky git.

That's kind of the point of the thread, bruh

Also, I got 100% completion for it eleven times

And I wrote the longest text walkthrough for it on GameFAQS, shit's way over 250 pages

So there. :^)

That game was the shit

At least ell us me someone payed you.

Awww yeah, Voodo Vince also still holds up surprisingly well on the graphics deparment

Jak 2 wasn't even that hard you fucktard. It shat all over everything the original accomplished.

1 is a colourful and large world collectathon with tons of platforming and humour. It had its own semi-unique gameplay that you didn't really get on another Sony title.

2 is a grimdark and enclosed city space (which felt very claustrophobic) with some minor platforming sections, however they took it the wrong fucking way and tried to make it a breed between GTA and Ratchet and Clank. And guess what, it was shit at being both of them… you can't even call it a collectathon half the time.
Oh, and all that lovable quirk and humour from the original game? Replaced with

Jak 2 and 3 are not good games.

that line was really edgy

The sheer fucking volume of collecting to be done in DK64 was overwhelming.

There's a difference between changing your game for improvement, or mashing it with a ton of ideas to hope it sells. All the while injecting it with so much edge that shadow the hedgehog himself could have made a guest appearance.

I think the point isn't that it's a bad game in general, it's just a bad Jak and Daxter game. It didn't really expand on anything presented in the first game, not even the setting. If you reskinned the game, no one would be able to tell you it was related to the first. It would've made more sense showing up later in the franchise's lifespan, once the elements that defined the original game were exhausted.

The edge that it has is fun and balanced out by plenty of humor. It's not the incredibly cringe-inducing game you're making it out to be.

The game's core gameplay is still platforming. Different from before, but just because you're not searching for collectables in the same way as the first game doesn't mean it's not platforming. Yes, there's a lot of other stuff like racing, hoverboarding, and other unique mini-games thrown in but collectathons love mini games too. There's nothing wrong with these different types of gameplay because they're done well, better than what the typical collectathon does for mini games even.

There's nothing inherently wrong with series making changes. Ratchet and Clank and Sly both had major gameplay changes in the gameplay in their second entries. Jak and Daxter was a fairly generic collectathon and those had hit critical mass and were on their way out by the time Jak II got made. They picked a good time to switch it up and ended up making a much more unique and interesting game.

jak and daxter 1 feels… dull
like its missing something to keep me engaged and keep me playing
im not gonna defend jak II though

Last night I dreamed that Kojima's new game-movie was going to be a stealthy collectathon

Kirby Air Ride invented cheevos

Was Pitfall: The Lost Expedition a collectathon?
Felt more like a 3D Metroid.

Anyway, I love this game.

My nigga

De blob is a pretty good collectathon.

Bump. There's obviously more collectathon games than this. Lets try making a list goyim

I've never understood why "collectathon" was a bad thing, 3D collectathons are some of my favorite games.

I fucking love collect-a-thons.

To this day I still don't know exactly what it is about collect-a-thons that makes them so fun and charming. Even the ones without mini-game sections are a blast. I'm actually kind of sad they're gone. It's nice to have cartoony worlds to explore instead of being "muh hero" in "muh realism."

also
I'm disappointed, Holla Forums.

Battle for Bikini bottom was God tier

Got any others you can think about?

Not really, everyone's got all the god-tier ones listed already. But other Spongebob games like Creature from the Krusty Krab were alright.

The movie-game was alright too.

Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom

Was Revenge of the flying Dutchman game any good?

This game had great collectathon parts in it

That Gameboy Color game? I don't know, I've only played the 3 games for Gamecube.

No I meant the 3d one for gamecube/ps2/xbox.

Oh, I've never played it. I wouldn't know.

OP reminded me of this. Someone else must've watched this whenever it came out.

Yes.

Are you braging about your autism ?

I still like 8:50-9:05. Most of it is really cringey, though.

Another good collecathon

Mutant Mudds is a great 2D platformer collectathon

Oh holy shit
I played this when I was too young to remember

This is a thread about collecting virtual tokens scattered about game worlds, I think the answer is yes.

Get jiggy wit it

What can I say? I was born in '97.

I'm a '97 fag too and I remember 2001 onwards very well.

You hit your head or something?

Alright, I guess I can let this slide.

Is it the one you get by falling down the one pit in the entire game the leads to a secret room instead of instant death? I don't remember if there was something there that made it seem like a good idea to fall down or just something that made it easy to fall, but both on both of my playthroughs, I ended up in that secret room on my first time going through where the entrance is. Just good level design, I guess.

Probably something like that, yes. Considering how many hours I sank into that file, I wouldn't be surprised if that was in fact one of the chests I had gotten.

Finding my way to some of the areas was a major pain. I remember not being able to find the second entrance to the 9th area (and path to Master/Crazy Hands) for a looong while.

If Naughty Dog would have just made Jak II a larger, more refined, version of the first game it could have been as good as Sly 2 or the 2nd and 3rd Ratchet and Clank games, maybe even better. But no, all they did was rip off GTA.

Does Crash Bandicoot count? It's pretty linear, but there's a lot of emphasis on getting the Crystals and Gems.

I'm not letting that slide.

Infamous is more of a superhero game than a collectathon but, there is a bunch of collectible/destroyable items with shards/drones and recordings. At least, I enjoyed what I played. Gravity Rush has a bunch of gems to collect for your powers and a few hidden secrets, but not really a collectathon like SM64/BK/DK64.

I like Ape Escape. The twist is that the stuff to collects runs the fuck away, making things more dynamic.