Was it always meant to be a scam?

Was it always meant to be a scam?

No, just sheer stupidity and incompetence

No, it was made by some really naive people with no understanding of economics.

What was the marketing pitch though?

They had to have used every hype trick in the book to make that sound good to people.

Not really, all they did was repeatedly shout "muh open-source".

Well, they didn't correct people who thought that you can play high-end pc games on the device so yeah.

Its low spec, open source, can be upgraded, every game can be played 4free.

Kickstarter fucking fails most of the times because they pitch you impossible goals so that you give them money and it you dont usually nobody does.

Remember that time when they couldn't afford to go to E3 so they camped outside? Good times.

Its only good thing it had going for it was emulation, but even then the hardware is so shit that it cant even get a PS1 emulator running correctly and mobile devices outclassed it in a matter of weeks.

The controller is also garbage, overly expensive and you can have a better deal by buying a Dualshock 3/4 and rooting your phone, or buying a third party mobile focused controller that are cheaper and just as shit.

There is a market, just look at the Nvidia Shield TV.

Now let's see why the Shield is successful:
- Good hardware
- It has games, although not many.
- The hardware is good enough to play most PSP games at full speed, and I've heard it can even emulate some GCN games at full speed.
- Good controller

In case you didn't know, nearly every tech start up helmed by a female founder CEO has been a MASSIVE fucking scam to date.

The retarded cunt scamartist behind it still acts like she saved the games industry with the Ouya and has now jumped ship to another startup called "Jaunt" which is capitalizing on the current fad in the games industry.. VR! That's right! Yet another shitty VR company that insists it will revolutionize the industry.

From GG's digging, IIRC one of the biggest contributors to it was a wing of Microsoft.

Bill Gates runs Common Core (education system in the US. Promotes SJW shit).
OUYA was advertized on re-branding the industry.

A theory is that while there are many fingers in the pie, Gates wanted to change the games industry so he could get more investors to support "Common Core Games" for classrooms.
A book you can close or skip past.
A movie you can fast-forward or ignore.
A game you have to do something to advance.
Some believe that could be used to encourage certain behaviors in classrooms. Imagine you got detention when you played a game in your sociology class and you didn't stand up for the dindu that was accused of mugging someone?

As we all saw, OUYA failed spectacularly.
MS branches were also shown to give money to several people- including the father of one of the original Game Journo Pros.
"Gamers Are Over."

This theory all comes from a guy who forgot to archive a website that showed the date of some payment (that changed the next day so it didn't show the date money was given), and the guy was butthurt that GG didn't become pure antiSJW and stayed focused on games (and partly because he fell for the "GG is ethics only" lie).
Info seemed legit tho.

Kek, /g/ays, fossfaggots and gnu nerds will never ever have gaming.

In hindsight, I wonder if the momentum got them going and they actually ended up thinking "Hey, we can actually compete with the big console manufacturers, never mind that we only have 10 million dollars"

Still, they should've probably just told the truth and said "Hey, we're making this thing that'll let you play your google play smartphone games on your TV!" instead. Or just make a phone/tablet OS in a console form instead of ending up with such a disaster

I'm pretty sure their pitch even implied that it could run said games. The power of deceptive marketing.

I keep seeing CrowbCat being posted here, is he good or is he being shilled?

It was never a scam, it was exactly what they advertised. It was a mobile phone in a box sans the screen and most of the hype came from people having no clue what they were getting into and the developers didn't correct them. That doesn't make it less dumb, but hey if you were in that position you would probably not correct your idiot fanbase either.

That was the Shield nigger

Lurk moar newfag

I was on this site before the cuckchan exoduses you doublenigger, forgive me for not knowing who some faggot e-celeb is.

Go back to lurking instead of trying to fit in you retard.

user he asked a simple question there's no need to chimp out about it

They made a poll thread on Reddit about:
"What game would you like to see on the Ouya?"

Included such leddit favorites such as:

And other shit that was popular at the time. People took this to mean that they would actually attempt to get developers to port their games over to the system. When people realized the underwhelming capabilities of phone hardware plugged into their computer and asked what was the fucking point to that thread (this was months later) Ouya reps said it was just a fun idea to play with and get people talking about possibilities and not meant to imply any future ports or developments or the power of the OUYA!

They knew exactly what they were doing. Here's a video of female slants dry humping each other.

God dammit mother fucker how do I mess that shit up. Television. TV. Idiot box.

dubs for truth
This is pretty much it. The intent of a scam is to sell a product with false intentions or knowing product is false.
Faggots of Ouya just had no fucking idea what they were doing.

I remember the Ouya connections linked back to the IGA and Kelly Santiago. There was a hard push from the clique, which made sense given that it was meant to be an "indies-first" platform. I lost my GG collection from my old HDD, but there was definitely some Gates-ties to the Common Core push into gaming as you said.

It was made by mobile developers. who frequently pay companies to forcibly load their apps onto people's phones to 1 claim millions of people downloaded their app 2 make a groudonillion dollars off data mining.

No shit it was a scam, android and everything related to it is cancer, or need I remind you.
PAY TO USE EMULATORS THAT SELL YOUR DATA.

"Scam" as in stole people's money? No.

"Scam" as in they presented themselves as indie devs who cared about "open" technology, yet created one of the most greedy DLC platforms? Absolutely.