Summons in RPGs

What game has the best summons mechanics?

I actually really liked how Final Fantasy X changed the long history of summons in that franchise. It used to be just a glorified spell, but with FFX you can actually control the summoned esper.

What other RPGs' summoning mechnics do you particularly enjoy, Holla Forums?

I want to be summoned like my Japanese anime's

That's… lewd.

FFX actually did a lot of cool shit with summons, like Yojimbo, and Anima, and in general their plot involvement.
I'm playing through the remastered edition, and though it's pretty cringy(like the scene on the SS Liki where Yuna says the wind feels nice and Tidus just loses his shit), the music is wonderful, and a lot of the supporting characters are really fun.
I wonder if SJWs get mad at Wakka for being racist against a fictional group of people.

Damn, please don't give them any ideas. Square Enix has to recover from the mess that was XIII already. They don't need another dosage of cancer.

Well I mean, he stops eventually, after getting to know best girl.
Not that SJWs would know that, they don't finish games.

Problem with those was that they were goddamn game-breaking. Was there a single boss you couldn't one-shot with Goyimbo and enough cash?

Did that nigga just summon the eternal jew?

This right here. You could turn into the demons you fought against.
Shit was fun.

Uhhhh, I'm not sure. Probably not. But Yojimbo also took a fuck ton of money to do that kind of shit, it wasn't really worth it.
If you really wanna talk about game-breaking, you're better off just buying consumables with all your gil for Rikku's Overdrive.
She's the most overpowered party member in FF history.

I killed Penance with 1000gil

Have they improved the main combat yet or is it still floaty and boring? That was pretty cool but if the main combat isn't good than there really isn't much of a point to buying the game.

Paying for Penance?

Sounds Catholic.

JE was awesome but unfortunately it hasn't aged well

dis how you summon sheet

Oh man, I just watched the video in OP.

Can you actually lose?

Why wouldn't a final fantasy game be a walking simulator?

I want to like them in Final Fantasy Type-0, using Rems Reraise skill to be able to spam them was fun, especially since they stupidly fast levelling curve, so just doing the first mission twice gets you from like 20 to 30.

But they limit them to missions and using even one means you fuck over your rank (and subsequently rewards) and with no way to take active members back in reserve so you can put out a trash one to be killed for the minute of Murdergod, if it wasn't for those things the idea of sacrificing party members would been more competitive.

So to summarize they were impractical as fuck even at their best when you circumventing the "price", but man if they didn't manage to convey power like a Summon should.

Path of exile was pretty fun for a full necro playthrough because it had a few different kinds of minions. You can raise the corpses of enemies into generic zombies that are permanent until killed, summon a few skeletons that only last for about 10-15 seconds but are spammable, summon raging spirits that only last for a few seconds but will just fly through enemies or raise a fallen enemy as a specter that has all the stats, moves and abilities of the original enemy and lasts until it's killed. This is what I remember from when I last played but i'm pretty sure you could also get things like a totem version of the zombie or skeleton spell that activates every few seconds.

Another good necro game is heavily modded Skyrim but it's not usually worth the effort if you can't stand Skyrim.

Tell that to the new age of JRPG players who thought the outright built-in cheats of Final Fantasy remakes are essential.

Yeah, I saw that shit in the FFX Remaster and the only thing I could think was that maybe FFX-2 recognizes clear data from FFX, so maybe people who have beaten FFX before and know the plot just want their clear data for 2?
But I can't even verify that. It's a super weird feature to me.

Honestly if I was going to replay an FF I would want the speed up time cheat, I'd never use it the first time through but in something like say IX, where there's an 8 second loading screen for every single fucking battle, I would abuse the hell out of speedup.

Im pretty sure it is to "Compete" with Emulators that basically always have inbuilt cheats (Action Replay/GameShark and the like) and Frameskip.

I can't verify for IX, but X gives you max gil, max items, and/or max sphere grid movements with the press of a button.

Well that's just stupid, you might as well just watch the cutscenes on youtube.

I know FF12 has the worst summon mechanics. You're ultimately better off using your MP for quickenings.

Don't forget needing to know what gimmicks (that usually make you disadvantaged) you have to do so you can actually have them use their super and not just leave without doing fuck all once the time is up.

That im pretty sure aren't alluded to anywhere in the game itself.

I don't know what they were thinking when they did that. I wonder if they fixed in the International Edition.