Upgraded consoles and console VR

I'm calling this now.

The PS4 Neo and the new Xbone are being launched for one reason. (And it's not because the original models can't handle VR, or to compete with NX, or anything like that.)
They're being launched because they want every console owner to buy their VR headsets. But $400 (and maybe more, if the Xbone just uses the Rift) is a lot of cash to drop on a headset, even if it's relatively cheap compared to the rest of the market.
So Sony and Microsoft are trying to sync up the lifespans of their headsets with the lifespans of their consoles. They don't want to lose customers by making them feel like they dropped a ton of cash only to have the whole thing become obsolete in just a few years. Which means that the 8th console generation will last for 5 to 7 years, but starting from the simultaneous release of upgraded consoles and console VR.

We've been in an in-between limbo generation this whole time.
They played us like a damn fiddle.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_publisher
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_rating#Corporate_credit_ratings
youtube.com/watch?v=MHjTXYBSRck
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They're literally nothing more but Steam boxes.

All the actual games are on handhelds. Current consoles are exclusively for cinematic experiences™. VR won't change that, it will just raise the barrier to entry and a fuckton of the market will respond with a resounding meh and a shrug.

>PSnogaems4theplayers

Like i said in the post you made in a thread, this would render this years as lost, therefore a "crash"
Which makes it all the sadder because it's a crash that would kill AA completely, making the market only hollywood-esque shit games and pretentious poorster art "games"

No, many AA right now unlike the beginning of this decade are betting on a niche audience instead of following the Call of Duty audience.
Many would survive and many others would be created.

actually, AA games seem to be doing fine for the most part, if you include nintendo and a few of the capcom PC games into the mix. They have been more AA successes then they have been AAA Successes.

Infact, I am pretty sure at this point every Jap game that is being releases is an AA game, so they are slowly making a come back, while all the western companies are losing their dosh.

I think this could very likely cause a crash, even the most ardent M$ and Sony fanboys were springing out AGAINST the NEO and the nu-Xbone

Its like no one learned from when Sega tried to do the exact same thing years ago, except when sega's plan with the saturn flopped, it was only the company itself that not soon after collapsed in on itself. Sony and M$'s gaming divisions are pretty much propping up the industry at this point, and I think most people see them as "too big to fail" so if and when they do, its going to be a disaster for the industry, either new industry leaders will step up, or PC will take dominance once again.

Those who don't know history are forced to repeat it I guess.

Pity the fools. If anything get them at the end of their cycle when some games are around, devs have learned their faults and modding could be possible.

AA companies have recently started getting bigger profit margins, unlike AAA where the exact opposite is happening.

and thats how it should be.

Graphics should stop here. Period. or NGC era graphics.

They no benefit for somthing like the new Mario Platformer to look like a Pixar CGI thing. Like, thats going to be the end result, right?

They should honestly focus on making it easier and faster to make models, not more detailed

Handhelds aside, they are a minority, if not A port projects with minimum costs
In consoles AA is vanishing, and AA still need the money that PC gives very slowly
And even AA niches are not very good if the makers dont hear their audiences (see Sega and all their projects, especially Yakuza 5 on the west)

You are all wrong, and for some reason this triggers my autism.

I never saw any response in that thread. Maybe Holla Forums is being fucky.

Yes.

I'm not so sure, see below.

I think the only reaction that matters is the one that happens after the consoles are formally revealed. We might see a backlash (and I think it would be justified, to some extent), but I don't think it's a sure thing. I don't think this kind of mid-cycle upgrade has been tried before; we're not talking about addon hardware, but a stronger base box.
But yes, if there is a backlash, and it's severe enough, it will basically end the console market, and crash the industry with no survivors.

We're three years in. I wouldn't call that "early."

They still thrive, see Bohemia, Paradox and Eugen Systems.
Fucking Streum On went from indie to AA and Japland while affected by the disenterest in the West (which is slowly going the other way), and mobile focus in its country, hasnt stopped making AA sized games.
Some even taking bigger leaps like From and Cybrrcoonect2.

Check the ranking guy
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_publisher

Mid sized companies are AA

You're not wrong, but PCMR types would never stop sperging out about how it's "holding them back," even if they have toasters.

"AAA" is a financial term that was adopted by vidya types to describe big-budget games that were almost guaranteed to sell in large numbers. So the idea was that investing in those companies/games was a "AAA" (guaranteed high-return) investment. So it doesn't make sense to describe mid-range games as "AA."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_rating#Corporate_credit_ratings

I think being a financefag contributes to my autism on this subject.

But user, console fans are the ones who bitch about graphics.
Check anything IGn and/or Gamespot related comment.

PCMR types are fucking cancer, but at least they can enjoy GSG and older games.

Looks like my MP4 was fucked, so I modified it.

But…but their graphics are worse anyway. Why would they complain in the first place?

Its just a buzzword that stuck around independent of Credit rating, just roll with it.

Or call most of them BB, see if I care

What?
I guess it depends on where you look, but while there are some that are strongly against it, there are more than enough fucking idiots that want a stronger PS4 with a remaster of Bloodborne to have 60fps, even when they previously keep on repeating that you can't see the fucking difference.

The spergs will buy it nontheless.
You can't convince them unfortunatley.
It'll come down to the normal consumer who got already scammed with the PS4 and XBone.
If he'll repeat his mistake or not.

Well, I give up. Time to kill myself.

Well, the funny thing is that now even "AAA" games are far from sure bets, since so many of them flop.

Because graphicsfags are fucking cancer and want the cinematic experience, being the majority since they are normalfags that still watch Hollywood movies and TV and want to "play them".
Seeing low poly on "NEXT GEN" would trigger them, since its not "using the hardware to its full potencial" and "wheres the progress?".

Impressive large scale but only visually decent shit like EDF stays obscure for a reasonand why GTA will never havr more than a dozen open buildings.

Graphicsfags are holding people back, not consolefags.

You can run Linux on a PS4 and flawlessly play PC games on it.

You could already do that on the PS3, nothing new.
Whats the source? Neogaf?

When I play the same console game on a PC, something feels wrong. I can't explain it. But playing it on a console with inferior graphics still feels better.

Its the feeling of being babied and being a good goy as everything is already pre determined and the nostalgiafagging gives it the feeling of magic.

That's it. I love that feeling.

I knew some team had gotten Linux running on a PS4, but I didn't know it was available to the public.

You're correct. And you can't play games on it. Although they did emulate pokemon on linux.

It's that physical feeling of sitting on a couch instead of being glued to the monitor.

Hook your PC on a TV or large monitor, grab a joystick, lay back and there you go.

youtube.com/watch?v=MHjTXYBSRck

I admire this neckbeard magic.

AA doesn't actually mean anything. Neither does AAA. Stop using made up words that don't have definitions to describe shit.

Read the thread.

I did. They still don't mean anything. Hell, even "missile" means nothing.

Typed "midsize" letter-by-letter, and my phone still decided it should be "missile", which makes no fucking sense when the Z is nowhere fucking near the L on my keyboard.

Smartphones are shit.

Fuck no. We've seen basically no gains over the last 8 years while hardware demand has bloated dramatically.

If anything, we're in line for 8 years of catching up. Improve the graphics we have now without increasing the performance requirements, which is easily possible since consoles (and the incompetent hacks that program these multiplatform games) are the reason games look and run like shit

Speak for yourself, I didn't buy into that shit. Joke's on you, dumbass

People who use smartphones to post are even more shit.

It's a meme, you dip.

*and flawlessly play a very small selection of PC games on it, that are supported on Linux.

This is nothing big. The selection of games available for the Linux version of Steam is really shit.

What has science done?

When sega realized they fucked up, they admitted defeat and reworked their next console to be better than the last time.
Sega also had a strong first party, which neither microsoft nor sony have

kys

Very true. Japan never had the graphical arms race that the west had. So mid budget niche games never died off. The west only had AAA shit and indie shit for a decade or more.

Can't use a real computer to shitpost while feeding a baby.

The camera records at 24 frames per second.

I don't fuck with unfinished software. OpenMW seems awesome; let me know when it's done.

It's near feature complete. Ive finished the game in it and if anything it was less buggy than the default engine. Feel free to use whatever excuse you want though, you sound near retarded.

Looking at those aspects, i agree, didn't see the bigger picture
Still i hope the west starts to REALLY make AA projects more often

Like I said, it's not finished yet.

That's probably true, but I always use the Morrowind Code Patch.

You don't seem to understand what "near" means.