github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/milestones/0.D
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

thats aside from
SHOCKER BRUTES
SUICIDE MANHACK THROWING ZOMBIES
STRAY BULLETS
FOR WHATEVER FUCKING REASON ACTIVE TANK TURRENTS

What game is that?

Also ask someone who has completed ADOM Ultra ending without savescumming anything

Hell

Is ToME a roguelike? I play it on the right difficulty, and the sheer wealth of mechanics, class variety and modding potential has kept me playing longer than most games I could name.

"The easiest game ever" according to purists

ToME is a full blown roguelike yes.
Its on the easy to use side but it has all a propa roguelike should have.

Technically.

Lately I've been playing Infra arcana quite lot. Fun game.

these threads always make me want to play Dwarf Fortress again
and then I do it and I realize how many features are still missing and how easy the game is
kill me petey

Every roguelike is easy for turboautists that have been into the genre for 10+ years. Those fuckers even have speedrunning tournaments for some games.

FUCKING SPEEDRUNNING COMPETITIONS FOR ROGUELIKES

because 4 means to come back to life exist, I'd say some people would say no, but im not really sure

if it is its only if you choose roguelike as the permadeath mode

excuse me 5, not 4

There's no hunger system or similar timer, nor are there cursed items, and identifying items is simple to the extent that it might as well not exist, so I say no.

I feel like roguelikes aren't really that good for speedrunning, mostly because of the procedurally generated levels and stuff.

well as long as you can control the seed, you could do that.
just have everyone on one seed.

Casuals.

how can have gone this long without a proper pirate roguelike?

because you didn't make it yet.

I can program but it sounds like a lot of work. Are there any tools that make making roguelikes esier?

No idea, honestly. But the point is, if you want to see it made, then who better to spend energy making it?

Shiren the Wander is one of my favorites. It's too bad the rest of the series will never get officially translated.

Could you recommend a roguelike that is similar to ToME in terms of classes and mechanics?

Yes but then theres a point where it becomes too much energy spent. Especially when the most likely scenerio is that i quit half way through.

True this.
When you try to make a roguelike designed for speedrunning, you get fucking modern DCSS

Good ole DCSS aka Removing Stuff is a Feature.

there's the beautiful thing you can do with digital materials, user. it's called copying. and there's this whole concept called "open-source" that will knock your socks off.

Holy shit is the guy still removing things from the game? I remember people complaining about that a few years ago.

How does he still have a game left at this point?

Its not that easy bud. Especially if theres nothing in your preferred language.

which game is that?

I fucking hate this game sometimes

What's your preferred language that you can't find anything roguelike related in it?

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. Usually recommend for people new to VNs. However the creator keeps removing shit so the best version is one of the older ones. Can't remember which though.

He keeps adding things in the beta versions to be removed by the next full release.

Not kidding.

LMAO

I like your style

in other news, RIP Bertha, you were the best shortbus I never had

Guess I have to kill myself now.

ToME is only easy if you play on normal mode with extra lives.

Nightmare mode is unlocked right at the start and it's how the game is actually meant to be played. Don't be swayed by the bullshit.

Is there any news about the next stable release for DDA?

They add new shit all the time too, but that's not as fun to yell about.
But really, once you try the new versions it's hard to go back. Tons of quality of life changes it's now hard to play without. The Greatest Ally god is pretty fun too.

Is development less pozzed than back when we tried to get Exodus off the ground or same old shit?

There's two types of devs:
I'm not even joking about the second one, but I never really gave much a shit or even noticed their changes.
I'm not quite sure what compelled them to make Grinder, that shitty little imp, into a girl.

I've heard DDA got slightly better, but I still feel bad about Exodus.

They promised 3rd dimension and we got dildos, faggots, censored weapons. It is dead.

I still play on 0.C because the changes they've been making are trash.
I hope you like juggling nutrition needs.

C# i havent looked for anything though.

If we had a decent coder or two, I think we could still make a go of it. But then we'd need to find someone(s) autistic enough to want to deal with this mess.

I really need to practice what I preach and start learning coding again. I really want Cataclysm to not be shit.

well nightmare can be quite hard, if you don't abuse the opponent's AI with dig

I'm a turbopleb, because I enjoy caves of qud.

Although fucking madpoles ripping and tearing your shit sweet jesus

at least Ive got a set of ornate armor, a bucket helm and an AK 47

Works up until daikara and dreadfell.

Xorns and dreads will ruin a good corridor.

Any of you have like a "Beginner's Guide to Cataclysm"?
I've never really managed to get anywhere in the game, I either run out of food/water or die to zombies and shit.

BEGINNER GUIDE TO CATA

How do I do shit at night? Everything's so fucking dark.

First line and you are already wrong, I would take anything this guy says with a grain of salt.

He's right for most cases.

Get the night vision perk. It got buffed to a point it is basically mandatory. Zombies can't see shit at night. If you want real stealth, get light step, light scent, and night vision–at night you are effectively invisible to zombies except at point blank.

In both static and dynamic spawn this is right. Only if you're up against wander spawns(which you shouldn't be) should you avoid this, because then you will be instantly surrounded by hundreds of thousands of zombies.

Basically this. I also expect you'd min-max a little for your first long term build, while you get used to the game.

Neither can the low tier threats. That's why you do it in the dark and quietly. Sleep, cook and craft during the day until you can suck it up.

why not both.jpg

Speed is another fantastic perk line and worth considering, but overall stealth is going to cost you less. Assuming that you want NV anyway(which you fucking do) then getting quick+runner is 5 perk points and light steps+light scent is 2 points.

In static spawn, you cannot safely just run away. Shockers, spitters, and brutes will catch you with ease, and even weak zombies will catch you when you're looting. The best way to loot a shop is at night.

Well the absolute autistic meta goes as following:
congrats you´re ready for your first night raid
also I seriously hope you nigger took Quick and Night Vision perks

Cool, thanks.
For building my character, is it a waste of points to pick a starting "class" that costs anything, or to spend points on skills?
Should I just put everything into attributes and traits?

The experimental meta is to just start with fabrication 1 now that skill use a different pool.

In the stable build, most people go with the cheapest profession and scenario possible and pour everything into attributes and perks. In the experimental, you can decide if you want the early risk vs. less skill grinding.

Why do autists still make this shit?

Classes are generally fluff and should only be taken if you desire the items they start with, like Backbacker or Lumberjack, or if you want to score more points for character creation.

Skills can be learned in the game no problem, so spending points on them is a waste. Some classes offer more bang for the buck regarding skills so if you want a jumpstart, like with the Cyberjunkie, he gets +1 to medicine which can be useful early on.

the game was DESIGNED around a single pool of points and if you play it otherwise you play into the hands of the GFur trannies that coopted the development

Multipools actually works well. Getting up off the ground is a lot less of a grindy slog when you can just start with fabrication 2 tailoring 1, and it's fun to be able to actually fight right off the bat with some dodging and melee skill.

Well cant argue with that.

OR you could just simply enable NPCs, trade that nigger a broken HMG you dismounted from an IFV and get half your skills up to 5 in a single month.

A higher intelligence is handy, both for learning (which is pretty important) and one particular in-game scenario. Anything that will make you quieter or more nimble is good too.

bitbucket.org/FaronBracy/roguesharp

HERE WE GO

LCS is pretty comfy too.

There's some mods out for it too, but that scene is pretty fragmented, even though some of them sport extensive changes.

any mods that restore the ability to have loli prostitutes?

it was a bad idea to send a lone guy to beat people up at the park

I know that feel bro. I too want a RWDS version.

LDS is pretty easy to work with. Shit, I'm not a particularly good coder myself and even I managed to get an EXE going from source.

So this might actually be a feasible idea.

How would the mechanics for a RWDS game even work?
I could imagine creating the Conservative Crime Squad although Libertarian Crime Squad might be more apt but a Right Wing Death Squad would be, in the thread of the madness of the original game,

I'd have an activist position that would require someone with a good research-related skill or group of skills to go over news items and studies to make "red pill" news items, which you would then put into the media via a planted supporter and then increase the Conservative rating.

The seduction mechanic wouldn't fit as well, not sure what'd I replace it with though. A simple reskin would not do. Also any sexually promiscuous activity would have to be dropped, although perhaps some kind of marriage mechanic might be handy. If you play a long game you could even have the kids from the marriage take over the fight for the next generation.

I'd put more competition between the police and government. Actually I'd have it set up like so: Gov't agents would represent the global elite and thus be hostile always. Cops could be activist, corrupt or traditionalist; naturally the latter would be friendly to the RWDS, the activist hostile, and the corrupt either useful or a hindrance. You could run missions for the trad cops against the non-trad ones.

Once the Conservative factor gets high enough you could /ovens/ non-whites or degenerates you take hostage to further enhance your prestige.

Ghetto blasting is a easy means to get the Conservative rating up but it could attract the ire of an ethnic gang. However if you do well against them or even capture some of them for the ovens that would have quite the PR effect.

If your profile gets high enough you won't be able to use normal stores anymore, the shop owners will call activist cops if you walk in. Which means other means of weapon acquisition, which you would need to do anyway as the Gov't should require end-stage "must hunt for them" weapons to put down.

"Hard Mode" (Very Liberal society) should have the guerrillas running things and fucking your shit up even worse than lower-tier government peeps. Lots of random acts of hedonism (like two trannies fucking in a park in broad daylight for example) that you could ice for PR.

Stealing wouldn't be allowed, except if the item belonged to a confirmed Liberal or Elitist.

Or criminal who got locked up.

Why not do all of that in real life instead of game?

well fuck you too game

no you dork
you put a rock in a sock
then you take the rock out of the sock
and then you do that until fabrication levels up

Read a book or just hit shift-\ to wait for long periods of time.

Sage for doublepost.

you´ll need those sticks for cooking at some point anyway you dolt

Ive read everything I have and its a lot

Does anyone know how to modify shit?

Modify what, clothing?

Need a tailors kit for that.

Closest thing is probably DCSS. Especially regarding classes and races. Mechanics are less skill based and more item based.

Poschengband is the right answer.

Are there any multiplayer rougelikes?

Tomenet.

I wonder if my hunting methodes could be considered humane

People using 8 mb gifs are not allowed to complain.

The tailoring and repairing was broken on the newer experimental build of CataDDA. I was asking for how and where to fix it, but decide to take earlier builds, and is now fixed.

>I get yellow 'v' signs next to the house, wonder what's that about later learn they show there's some noise one level below

pretty good start, but now, the most scariest part I've encountered

Is this now a new feature? I don't remember this happening ever. And I don't have dynamic spawn enabled.

Negromancers have their own suite apparently.
I met several different hordes in my current build5045 playthrough, most were static but some moved around.

Also 5049 and onwards completely breaks the vehicle addition mod. Not that it worked properly before.

Any one of you fags got a build from between 2nd and 5th June?

If its stupid but works it isnt stupid.

in other news tailoring and vehicles are fixed

how to make easy wire in 3 simple steps:
step 1: ACCELERATE
step 2: DONT STOP
step 3: get cucked by concrete pillars

I dont even have the chance to run the poor fucks over

That's really not how the CCS operates in the game's setting, though. The CCS is explicitly government-funded, and mostly operates through acts of domestic terrorism (which inexplicably makes the public love them, same goes for the LCS).

A game based on the CCS would have you acting as the top dog in almost any situation, but you're fighting against a force that is nearly impossible to pin down and, when cornered, fights with impossible tenacity and cunning. It'd be like a game of Smart Kobold but with more widespread strategy and investigation.

Speaking of which, I really would recommend trying out Smart Kobold. It's hard as hell and absolutely hates you, and that's why any small victories feel amazing.
zincland.com/7drl/kobold/

Help

My moose hunting methods improve with every season.

First it was point blank 00 drive-by on a motorcycle.
Then it was fixed blades and spikes on the grill at 114 km/h.
Now its industrial sized nailguns and pneumatic ball bearing machineguns.

I love where this is going.

Also Ill give you a tip if you´re as green as I am: your first time playing, savescum THE SHIT out of this game. I only came to understand several game mechanics by severe savescumming because they´re not listed anywhere and all the tutorials that exist are for the stable build BEFORE the latest stable. Which came out a year ago.

Too fucking late. You want to know how you get good at shit and acquire skills? You learn things. Now go look up how to compile the game, it's not that hard.

Is it because of heavy sleeper trait?

Heavy sleeper and Insomniac fuck with your sleeping schedule.

also I was thinking about some misconceptions a new player might have about cata and here are some thoughts:

1. Storage > defense might sound like a good idea because muh scavenging but it aint. Ignore storage and juggle encumberance and defense, leather > cotton unless its "close to skin" type, then its either cotton or wool depending on season.

You have the almighty shopping cart, the duffle bag and backpacks for that assuming you survived long enough to aquire them, which isnt long considering you can craft them at tailoring 3 or just find them by strolling around with a half-broken motorbike.

Yer not supposed to haul all yer shit around all the time, neither are you supposed to grab everything that isnt nailed down to the floor.
Found gallon jugs of X but you dont know what to use it for? Mark location on the map and return later when you have a means of transportation. Thats the earliest you have to even worry about anything.

2. Avoid junkfood like the plague. In fact take Junkfood intolerance for added minmaxing on character creation.

Theres a hidden healthiness stat that decreases with eating unhealthy food that affects your regeneration ability to the point of stopping completely.
Also bear in mind that when starting with faulty implants, those absolutely fucking TANK your healthiness to the point you´re not be able to regenerate by the end of summer REGARDLESS of food consumption.

3. If you dont have a firearm of some kind, dont try to engage zombie kids in melee, they´ll eat your ankles.

4. Contrary to popular belief, guns will be more of a hindrance than a help UNLESS its a shotgun or a pistol. Those you should always have on you if you can. Look for cop cars and security vans. Ignore gold and silver bars until you need them, just put marker on map and move on.

On point 4, you should have shotgun with a shoulder strap and loaded with 00 shells, those will fuck up zombie brutes and shockers, former with two shells, latter with one shell. I usually keep shotgun as a life insurance if there are tougher opponents that can't be avoided or they're too persistent.

Is this a new tileset? I remember I hated the tileset when they first released it because the aesthetic was complete garbage, but this looks low-detail, which I like.

Contrary to the current meme of calling everything a roguelike, permadeath isn't actually the most important part of a roguelike. It's a pretty important part, sure, but definitely not #1.

Yeah I forgot to add that this applies to early game.

When you got your skills up you can do whatever. Personally Im running around midgame with the not-Tihar since it fucks up any type of zombie in 2 bursts, its a great alternative to the shotgun as a last resort weapon, its silent, and it has a virtually unlimited supply of ammo, meaning you can go nuts at any given moment.

Theres about 20 tilesets integrated in the current build, and most of them look like undiluted ass. Especially the higher detal ones.

This one is breddy gud because its very readable without the clusterfuck of full blown tryhard grafix, its called RetroDays and thats the 20px variation.

cont.

5. Contrary to common sense, its easier to find first aid kits in house bathrooms than it is in hospitals.

6. Never go into hospitals under any circumstances unless you want your face melted off your skull. Zombies can blow through concrete walls now so dont count on speed to evade and run. Spitters are a health hazard in any circumstances and hospitals are full of them.

7. Bows are shit, more at 11
Use either a sling or a slingshot as your starting ranged as both use readily available ammo, the effort to keep a bow mantained isnt worth the effectivity it shows in the field.

8. Dont smash bodies, butcher. Gives a lot of free survival eggspee. Only smash when disengaging.

9. You can use the (B)utcher key to mass-disassemble shit, just pile it on the ground.

10. The (%) key is your friend, use it often.

11. When using advanced inventory manager, pressing (a) will automatically select ALL 9 tiles around you, pressing (i) will select your inventory. Makes looting scrap much faster.

cont.

12. Your priorities at the beginning of the game are as following:
can be done without leaving the shelter
same as above
same as above
search houses on the outskirts
same as above
same as above
raid garage

the last 2 you CANNOT obtain through self-sufficiency, but once you have them you have the ability to be completely self-sufficient

13. Acquire American Flag to snug into

I am having trouble understanding that picture

Time to field test that bad boy

and GO TIME

Looks like I got cucked by my own creation

Is it just me or is the newest version not as fun as it was back in like 2013? The whole "cars are fucking everywhere" thing feels really weird for one.

I cant really say anything about that since the last version I played past my first day was the original Cataclysm without the DDA

Just got myself a brazier, put some sticks in there and lit it on fire. Doesn't last very long though, is there something else I need? Like gasoline or something?

Use 2x4s and heavy sticks
about 12 is enough to put you through a batch of whatever you´re crafting

Alright thanks, it's just that it burned out before consuming all the sticks in there which left me confused. Haven't played for a long time, I was in some of the earlier C:DDA threads. Though I know enough to at least consume some vitamin pills once in a while.

Currently stationed in a farm house, doing pretty well, got spike pits and almost everything boarded up along with another NPC. Never was much for fixing up vehicles and shit.

WHY
OH GOD WHY THIS LOOKS LIKE VOMIT

Eh, I used the RetroStyle 20x one long enough, Hell I even adviced people to use, but I wanted to try something else. This one has the least missing tiles, and it's pretty convenient, reminds me of Unreal World.

It looks like vomit and you can only see, like, the center ninth of the screen. Maybe less. It's completely unusable just because the tiles are so huge.

YASD can suck a dick, I don't even give a fuck anymore.

your first mistake, the fuck are you doing innawoods as a lowbie

Stair spawning in labs is so fucked.

What is ToME 4 like, anyway? I've sorta avoided it because of all of its DLC, seeming casualization, and just generally seeming like it's going against its original concept.

Class based and really shitty engine. Classes like in wow but designed for single player. Really really shitty engine. Try it for yourself.

hey just like real life

That doesn't sound good.

I tried to look up LDS but all I get is a church of christ. What is it?

LCS, he means.

So, has the dildo removal mod ever been continued? I was dissappointed when I found out it's no longer up-to-date and had to make do by ceremoniously burning all dildos, fur suits, gimp masks and qurans, kippas and the like

Also what's your opinions on the different spawn mechanics? I would prefer static if the zambies formed more hordes and wandered more in general, because on my first world I had a lot of fun, but then at some point I cleared out the entire large town adjacent to my shelter and it felt pointless building a fortress because no zombies or hordes ever came to visit and the town was completely secured.
On my next world I tried static and wander spawns (not dynamic because I really didn't like the sound of it) and it seems to work reasonably well, although unfortunately it seems that zombies can still spawn in my lightly fortified mansion (maybe should have chosen a smaller place) wenn I'm on the other side of it or near it.

Another thing, maybe it's just me but guns seem quite commonplace and easy to obtain (yeah, yeah it's murrica). After clearing a mid-sized town with all it's /k/-basements and a gunshop or two, as well as cops, soldiers and cars you'll get a shitton of guns.

I didn't have any sleep-related traits and my guy would very often turn off the alarm clock and keep sleeping the fuck.
He wasn't even dead tired or anything.

FETA camps?

There seem to be a lot of cars around, even a bunch of working ones (at least on the build I use from like april(?)). Also a fuckload of tanks, IFVs, security vans and for some reason hippie vans. Also a lot of solar cars which easily leaves you with more panels than you'll ever need for you base and car.

Well of course it went out. It's raining (Drizzle) in your picture. If there's no rain or snow, then fires should always burn out completely.

I've found that you seem to just need the beginning of the fire (you could just light some tinder in heavy rain) to craft whatever batch you choose.

Oh, yeah, there's a fucking imam class in the game. Thanks CataDDA dev.

Guess I learned more about grenadiers.

rest in peace commander stryker ;_;7

Most games that do have an hunger system of sorts are now trivial. DCSS and Angband might as well not have a food clock because they are pretty pointless the OoD monsters serve that purpose well enough. Not only that, but you are pretty much invalidating a lot of roguelikes like the DoomRL, AliensRL, etc.

There are elite grenadiers.
They have a little something called "mininuke hacks"

Jesus Christ. I am almost glad I never made it far enough to witness that. Tankbots are enough to fuck my day up.

Are the shelters with the largish groups of NPCs that can give you quests at all useful? They never seem to get any new supplies so all they have to trade is junk and rotten food after the first week.

Also has anyone tried Cataclysm++ yet?

smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=11248.0

Thinking about getting that instead of the base game.

Oh, and out of curiosity I decided to check the regular grenadiers items.
They have
each. Which is kinda insane.

Elites have only one mininuke hack but so many of all the others they pretty much won't run out.

I think I've played with that on. At least I remember some of the items and buildings.

Only thing I can really say about it (aside from some of the solar items being useful probably) that it makes your crafting menu even more cluttered with all the "survivor" stuff I think.

is NETHACK any good?
what about stone soup?

If you want to make another IVAN then make it at least as entertaining as IVAN, jesus fuck.

There's reasons I'm still playing on 0.C

How so? Just curious because my recent games have been relatively "fair" on the whole, although I also turned off a bunch of shit

Out of five games four ended in a surprise tankbot or some other bullshit of such caliber.
Plus they still haven't unfucked firearms accuracy, I should be able to hit stuff with a 5.56 rifle at 5-8 tiles without problem but instead this shit sprays everywhere but the target no matter what skill levels are you on.

Such as?

Actually not as much as I just thought. No joke monsters (never seen them but I didn't want to risk it, seeing what other "funny" things there are in the game), flaming weapons and skill rot.
Guess that doesn't really make a difference then.

Yeah, true, some of that shit is just instant death traps.
Gun turrets did the same to me more than once, just because of stepping in a doorway.

But at least with tank bots you can avoid them if you see them from far enough away as they don't seem to aggro if they're close to the edge of your vision. Of course not much of a help if you round a corner into it.

I've made campfires as a kid during a drizzle, which is why I figured I might need something else. It still works well enough for me to cook some stuff if I have enough wood in there.

I know fires don't go out that easily IRL, but that's the game logic. I think you need a roof over your fire or maybe a fireplace although not sure on the latter.

Still, even if it goes out, it should still allow you to finish your crafting.

Last I checked, any fire indoors without a military gas mask means death by choking.

Yeah it works as it is. But if I were to put it inside, you sure it won't just fill the room with smoke? Or even worse that it won't burn down my house.

Some year ago when I last played I had an iron stove or something inside that worked fine without any smoke. Gonna fire up the game, no pun intended, and try to light it in another building.

Also yeah, the fire mechanics are somewhat simple. You can set fire to wood tables and shit with 1/100th of a lighter with no problem in a few seconds

On second though, perhaps I shouldn't.

Even if you have basically just a 1-tile roof above it and the rest is open?

Not even sure I've noticed any choking hazard when lighting houses on fire while I'm inside because fuck spooky as fuck basements full of spiderwebs but then again I haven't played in a few months

I think (stone) fireplaces work alright indoors but no guarantees beacuse I'm not sure I've tried it.

Well you could try it in a house down the road, then leave and see if it burns down.
Just keep in mind that burning houses are loud as fuck and burn for ages. So they might keep you awake at night if you're too close and they could attract attention

Which reminds me, is burning houses down still the best way to get tons of rebar and nails?

Oh yeah, I remember. I remember doing it back for houses with spiders in them, or malls, just for the show. If I remember correctly it also attracts zombies, which might be nice depending on your intentions and gear.

I checked the list and most of the important items are already in the base game.

Adding it would only increase the clutter in your crafting menu since most of the items on the list would be obsolete by the time you can craft them. I have to deal with this shit from More Survivor Tools already, its fucking hell to scroll through a list of pipe rifles when you´re trying to build a big sodding gun.

Im spending weeks on end in a basement burning shit in a brazier and nothing happens.

What the fuck. My companion of 11 days just died while sleeping one tile away for no apparent reason. I gave him water/food whenever he complained, and I patched him up too sometimes. Last I checked I'm pretty sure he wasn't wounded or infected.

Telling them to use a water bottle works, right? I don't have to trade it to them do I?

There was just repeating messages of him trying to sleep, then he died.

There are NPCs now?

Yeah, you can turn on either static or random npcs, or both. It's in the world generation option menu, as well as wandering hordes and a lot of other neat features.

Not sure about rebar, but definitely nails. Burning down a regular house gives you several hundred, if not a thousand+ nails.

Maybe you snored too loudly and he ended up dying of exhaustion :^)

Pulp the corpse
He was bit

Already butchered him.

Also, when I inspected his wounds, if the health of his arm is displayed in blue, does that mean he is infected? Because I used first aid one time when it was, and the other he just slept it off and healed fully, so when I inspected him it was back to green.

Just checked, and yep it means just that. Weird though because I tried to apply disinfectant to him but it wouldn't appear in the menu when treating his wounds.

Nor did he complain about it so I assumed he was fine.

I unironically enjoy playing dredmor. I like it more than ToME.

Dredmor can be good as "My first roguelike" and an appetizer for "the basics are nice, but i want more".
I like it too, expecially with mods
It probably has more content than DCSS now.

Anybody know if there's a way to write stuff on paper in this game? Like a to-do list or diary? Don't want to alt tab and check a text file.

I know you can write stuff with a spray can but it's too short so it's useless.

user.
You have paper and a pencil in your house right.
RIGHT?!

Or even a smartphone with a note app

Of course, but I thought it would be cool to have in game, to store a diary somewhere or a bulletin board in your base. I built one only to find out that it just creates a 'base'.

I'm in borderless windowed anyway so if I considered the phone an option I might as well just use text files.

Also I don't have a smartphone

Its like you dont even autism

Play Dungeons of Dredmor or something similar, pleb. It should be shallow enough for you.

It's a good idea. Tested true.

How the hell do I kill sewer rats?

No encumbrance, accurate melee weapon, a gun or explosives

For a melee build, is Pain Resistant or Masochist better for dealing with pain?

Also, how do I get started with mutations? Do I just have to survive long enough to find a lab?

You could probably also find some radioactive area or item, or start mixing mutagens yourself if you have high enough chemistry/first aid/fabrication.
I think

Of course the radioactivity only counts if you've activated mutations through rads in the world creation menu.

Pain resistant is better. Masochist just gives you morale bonuses for being in pain, it doesn't do anything about the speed malus. You should also try taking an aspirin before you get into a fight; the painkiller takes effect over about 12 minutes for aspirin, so if you take one before you get into a fight it'll keep working while you're fighting. I wouldn't recommend trying it with harder stuff, as the depressants effect from stronger painkillers also reduces your speed. The speed bonus from Quick also helps to cancel out low amounts of pain.

I've found the best way to deal with pain is to just build a melee monster and kill everything before you get hit, though.

Best way to get started with mutation is to find a lab and learn the recipes for targeted mutagens. If you don't have Robust Genetics, you'll be rolling 1/3rd guaranteed bad mutations and 2/3rds random mutations; not good odds. It's best to just chug enough targeted mutagen to pass that particular mutation category's threshold, which will strongly stack the odds in favour of getting the rest of that set, good mutations and bad.

If you do have Robust Genetics, that'll give you 1/3rd guaranteed good mutations and 2/3rds random mutations, so rolling around in radiation is much more likely to give you decent stuff, if you don't mind leaving your eventual category up to chance.

AFAIK inside fires won't choke you to death with smoke anymore as long as they're in a fire-safe tile. Not sure when that was changed, but it was.

The dildo removal mod isn't completely up to date but it's still functional. I've been using it and it hasn't destroyed my game or anything, there's just some new stuff it doesn't remove like corsets, Chinese swords, and the Japanese/Chinese sword-making books. I actually don't mind the crafting books, if you really want to make a katana you should be able to, I just think finding katanas lying around everywhere breaks game balance and immersion.

Game balance?
Perhaps. But immersion wise I just consider it the house of a weaboo or something. I'm a month in and only found one, meanwhile I found like 3 gun storage basements littered with ammo, weapons and mods.

Oh really? Do you happen to have a link to it? Last time I tried finding it thelinks were dead.

Agree with this. Also I actually prefer spear weapons over things like the katana early game because it's easier to keep the zombies at a distance without giving them a chance to hit you (even if you get them caught in window frames and bushes there's a chance). With this you can just turn sprinting on and take a step back whenever they close the gap. Quite safe against most early zombies.
And in the later game I can just craft my own Zweihänder or longsword or something anyway so I don't need muh nippon sworderu

I found a goddamn wolf fursuit.
Which I could pass off as a deviant were it not for it being in a SCIENCE LAB.

Here you go. Pretty sure this one should still work.
mega.nz/#!75xkmZga!mlsQxDPM9jHMfFjMGx1mdEY1ovlcRYiKAFiYktvwatw

If the infection progresses to a certain point, disinfectant won't help. You need antibiotics or a first aid kit.

Considering we always find out furfags are in STEM fields is it really that unbelievable?

Thanks, man.

That's even worse than the literal tons of weedlmao in the scientists' sleeping quarters.

I've been (s)mashing younger ones with the Wood Axe for days now. This isn't even something new to me, I used to chop down trees in earlier versions the right way. Either my memory suck or this isn't something like riding a bike, that you'll remember forever, probably the former.

True.
I also find it amusing that wearing one is probably the fastest way to die. All that encumbrance.

How to safely kill Fungal Blooms
You will need:
1. An armored car that can be completely closed off, so fungaloids can't bash their way in. Nothing particularly special, just slap armor on all the perimeter tiles and close all the doors.
2. A lighter and some highly burnable liquid, like gasoline, ethanol, or denatured alcohol.
3. A decent gun with high armor piercing ammo. I prefer a shotgun and flechette shells; all of the mods in the image are craftable without a forge setup, and aren't strictly necessary anyway.

Steps:
1. Locate the Fungal Bloom on your map, and drive close to it as quickly as possible so fungaloids won't be hanging around your car when you get out.
2. Get out of your car, and set the fungal bed on fire in multiple adjacent tiles. Then dump the burnable stuff into the fire. Get back into your car and drive around a bit until the fungal bed is ash, all of it but the spire at the centre. This will turn it into 100 move terrain, so you won't move slowly on it. The fungal walls directly around the spire will slowly respawn, then catch on fire and die, so you don't need to worry about them blocking your shots.
4. Get as close to the Fungal Tower as you can without stepping in a tile directly next to the blaze, then shoot the Tower until it dies. Steady your aim and wait for recoil to dissipate, and it should only take a half-dozen shots or so if you have decent shotguns skill.

This will not work when fighting a Fungal Spire. Fungal Spires have Hedges instead of Walls surrounding the central tower, which are immune to fire and will send Tendrils burrowing through the fungal bed to attack you even after you burn down the fungal bed. Tendrils can even spawn inside your vehicle, which is really bullshit.

How to safely kill Fungal Spires
You will need:
1. An armored car, same as above.
2. A lighter and some highly burnable liquid, same as above.
3. Some throwing skill and a half-dozen grenades. Grenades are actually really easy to make; they only need 2 fabrication 1 mechanics, and can be built out of tin cans, superglue, a pilot light, some nails and some shotgun shells. That's basically just scrap.

Steps:
1. Drive to the Fungal Spire, same as above.
2. Burn down the fungal bed so it doesn't block your throws, same as above except the Hedges don't die.
3. Do not stand inside the fungal bed even after you burn it down, both so that you don't get hit by tendrils and don't get hit by your own grenade explosion. The ash from the bed serves as a good explosion safety radius, so stay off of it.
4. Throw grenades at the Tower from outside the ring of ash, one grenade at a time and back off after each one just to be safe, until it dies.

If you do it right, you shouldn't even need environmental protection to kill the a fungal tower, because you never get near the fungus.

The Fungus can infect you in two ways: One, you get hit by or stand next to a fungal enemy. The game then checks to see if you get the Spores debuff, based on your environmental protection, and then as the debuff is on you, the game checks to see if the Spores will progress into full blown infection. Two, teleglow. If you just randomly started sprouting mushrooms, you probably got hit by some source of teleglow, like stepping into a teleporter trap or being stared at by a Flaming Eye. You won't always get fungus, and if one of the other effects happens (e.g. covered in ectoplasm) you're safe from the fungus.

Fucking niggers, at least they didn't steal my bike.

Also, does anyone know the details of how bikes work? My character seems to always be out of breath when I am riding one, regardless of what speed I am at, and I remain at the lowest stm but never need to decelerate. So do I get thirsty/hungry faster?

the definitive Roguelike, has been around longer than cuckchanners have been alive, finely tuned and with huge amounts of content in general
excellent casual experience, not especially hard or balanced to require thought but it involves a good amount of customization and differences between races/classes
play Nethack if you want to think hard while crawling, Stone Soup if you want to fuck about and experiment in a dungeon crawl setting

compile it bitch

It's pretty good and comfy, especially with the wonderful musical score.

How do I reload weapons correctly? I got this here assault rifle and a magazine for it but I can't seem to shove the magazine in the gun with (r). The gun only accepts individual rounds which means I spend a long ass time to reload once.

When you hit r, you should get a screen that looks like this, and you can just select the magazine. If you don't, the only thing I can think of is your character has 0 marksmanship skill and doesn't know how to use magazines, or maybe that magazine isn't actually for that gun. It's kind of hard to help you without pictures of stuff.

What's the best way to destroy that fucker?

Run it over with a car. And put the pedal to the metal so he doesn't get much of a chance to shoot at you while you approach.

Last two tank drones I killed one with a steam roller and the other with some "raider dozer".

It might be a bit dangerous, not gonna lie.

Also if you don't happen to have a working car around, you could try sneaking by while it's distracted with zombies, or lure a horde into it

Wesnoth has roguelike add-ons.

Mininuking always works but you probably want to use the launched version.

Come to think of it, would fully sealed car (and by fully sealed meaning that you can't see out and no one can see you in) reduce the chance of shooting my car into bits?

Doesn't those military wreckages contain packed LAWs if you happen to be lucky?

All it needs is just diesel and a new battery, I don't think I need any heavier equipment than this

Neat. I've found that those and other tanks litter probably every third bridge.

And don't forget the best part. They come with a free pair of earplugs :^)

Also, can't you just put actual batteries (from a flashlight or something) in there to give it enough juice to start up?

You reload magazines manually with boolits, then reload the magazines into the gun. If you reload boolits into the gun (assuming there a magazine in it) it takes ages.

which version is that?

forgot pic

Do I actually need to "power" power armor? Or can I just wear it as glorified heavy armor?
If I do have to power it, what can/should I use? I imagine it'd take a lot of batteries.

Yes. The basic model even says so in the description.
Either the Power Armor Interface Mrk II Bionic, which is very efficient and as renewable as whatever you use for bionic power, or a UPS, which can be recharged from your car's batteries with the UPS-compatible charging station vehicle part.

You need a UPS to power it. It eats through batteries like nobodies business, and even if you mod it up to 2000 capacity and have a recharging station you´re still gonna burn through it before you can say
Or you can just wear it as glorified heavy armor, just remember that its not warm and snuggly unpowered, and bring gun, you aint gonna be hitting shit in melee

anyone here know how to clean filthy clothes? I tried to dump it in a toilet but it didn't seem to do anything.

And by the way, it look like the NPC's need food and water to survive now.

Looking through the JSONs tells me you need a washboard, but I have no idea how to make one. It's apparently an autolearn recipe, but it's not showing up in my game. Maybe it's locked behind the squeamish perk, to avoid cluttering up the craft screen for characters who don't need it? Anyway, it needs 1 unit of soap per activation.

alright thanks. But I'm pretty sure it's not locked behind that trait since you get a morale penalty when you wear filthy clothes even without it.

wow thats autistic

Cataclysm Pro Tip: If zombie children die indirectly, you don't get a morale loss. So instead of using melee weapons, use a flamethrower.

what's the best source for copper wire?

Hotplates, flashlights, radios, MP3 players, solar panels, some furniture.

Otherwise try raiding a power substation.

Has DoomRL aged well?

Every time I see this fucking question asked, i get the overpowering desire to tear the person who asked it's face off.
Yes it has. No, don't go and play it. Fellate a shotgun instead.

nice flag, you talk like a 12 year old on the other thread too

Bump

Isometric is best. fite me

Once, just once, I would like to have something nice.

what the fuck is wrong with this game

this looks fucking cool, where can I get this tileset

Should come with the tiles version, has iso in the name.

It's called HitButton iso

That is why people savescum.
Not necessarily because
But because

oh my bad, I still had an old version of CDDA so I've never seen that before and assumed it was new. I'm upgrading now, thanks dudes.

God damn it.

Set up some storm bolter turrents.
Never fails.

So the last time I play CDDA they had buggy as hell NPCs and apparently a shitton of infighting with keven granade or some shit also they basically let anyone add shit to the game which led to a shitton of furry bondage gear.

How well has it improved so far? Are NPCs viable or still broken? Did things calm down and the game get fleshed out with sane developers?

Image is from the last time I played. I placed down a smg turret which annihilated an entire town before a spitter zombie bum rushed it and died right next to it.

It's an At The Mountains of Madness reference. Why there were penguins in the Jesus Christ Why Dimension, I don't know.

Random NPCs is still complete garbage. I'd keep it off until it's fixed (read:never ever).

I noticed. I think I'm going to restart even though I spent some time with the save because guys with only a gun and the clothes on their back running around everywhere is just too stupid.

Consider suicide.

joke< >your head

Is it just me or is the night vision perk broken in the latest experimental?

I usually lower their spawn rate to 0.10. That makes them rare enough to not be an annoyance.

There's been a few improvement here and there, mostly with how they behave as companions. You can now order them to not pick up items and they can bash zombie corpses for you, but they also need food, water and sleep. Having one or two with you can be useful if you can manage their needs.

Anyone else only play C:DDA with mundane zombies and no fungal shit or whatever?

Makes for a pretty cool zombie apocalypse survival sim. Especially if you start with some mundane class like tailor or student and RP it.

Do you encounter and hostile/friendly/neutral humans at all? Like I do not give a fuck about ordering them around I just want to wander around and encounter humans.

The only human I ever encountered in the old one was actual real life cannibal shia lebouf. He wielded 2 steak knives and nearly killed me. Cut that fucker down with nothing but a x-acto knife.

I usually find like one or two per season, some of them try to mug or murder me, a few just run away iirc, and some are just neutral.

Its a question of taste really

me personally I rather play as it is but the sheer number of different zombies is getting ridiculous, especially the high level ones like grenadiers

I usually have to go all out in order to make the game more interesting. Max out zombie spawns, zombie evolution, NPC spawns, turn on all the mods that make zombies more dangerous, etc.

Trying to save as many people as possible while removing all the zombies in town at least gives you something to work toward.

Yeah, playing with mundane shit can get boring fast if you minmax it or otherwise use unearned knowledge. But it's a pretty good time RPing various classes/professions.

Had a real good time with some student, a kid named Ian. Spawned in the elementary school, goddamn kid zombies everywhere. Grabbed a few books from the library and bailed through a window. Ran into the woods and found a farmhouse. Read my books and became largely self-sufficient. Repaired a farm truck and took it back to the school for more books, and to kill some zombie kids. Plowed through a horde of em but one got jammed in a wheel well or some shit, yanked my truck hard right and embedded it in a fuckin store. Barely got out of that situation alive, zombie kids all over me. Had to crawl out of the busted windshield cuz everywhere else was surrounded. Wounded and slowed, I saw a minefield and decided to try my chances since it would at least kill some of the zombies on my ass. Got hurt a bit from shrapnel coming from the explosions behind me but I was almost to the other side when a pack of wolves emerged from the woods and caught me. Ripped me to shreds, my pocket knife was no good against them. But I watched the deathcam and some wolf stepped on a mine next to my corpse that they were eating and blew them all up. Fuckers.

Speaking of which, it would be really cool if you could find a dog and make it loyal to you, or somehow domesticate a wolf. Maybe by stealing a puppy from a den or something. It would make a cool companion, not bitchy or very needy, and it would be fairly effective against normal zombies. Maybe it could bite a leg or pin one down, making the zombie easier for you to land hits on. With its nose it could also alert you to nearby shit that you couldn't smell otherwise. Would be a big help when hunting, helping you track down various game.

I've thought about it and would maybe prefer it, but IMO the difficulty would just drop off way too fast.

If you build a fortified base with a death mobile and have a bunch of armor and guns it's gonna be too easy really fast.
Maybe with dynamic spawn enabled it would be harder but that shit just annoys me.

Not that the game is really hard by default anyway, but still.

I'm pretty sure you can tame dogs with a dog whistle or some dog food. You also get to keep the dog you have to save in one of the npc quest, unless they fixed it since last time I played.

Yeah, you've gotta purposely handicap yourself in some ways, preferably in ways that fit with your chosen background. Otherwise it gets easy pretty quick.

No shit? I haven't played in a while, think I'll try the new version.

*tried, not played

True, but I'm too much of an OCD autist to not minmax. I remember I also played a student once and it was going pretty good. Roleplaying was pretty fun for a while and I had a cool story going, but it kept nagging me the whole time that I could have had better stats if I just chose to be a tweaker on a bad day instead.

I just ramp up the difficulty to compensate. It sucks for me because I want to play as another profession but I will always end up kicking myself for not being optimal when I do.

I'm trying to figure out why when looking at items in 'V' some zombie corpses are yellow and others are gray. Because I just burnt down a school and while most bodies are totally destroyed there's still some that remain which are listed as 'burned zombie corpse'. Is the color just to show the state of the body? Does it mean I don't have to butcher it if it's gray?

Yellow means they´ll get up sooner or later.
Smash or butcher.

But gray I can ignore?

If it says pulped or destroyed, its fine.

Alright thanks.

Yes. Items which are active and using charges are marked in yellow. Turn on an MP3 player, so it starts playing music and running out of batteries, and the name turns yellow. Pull the pin on a grenade and it turns yellow because it has x number of charges, uses 1 charge per turn, and when it runs out it explodes. Zombie corpses that can resurrect are considered active items because they use the same charge system as grenades, except the number of charges left until it activates are hidden from the player.

Neat. I of course knew about active items, which is why I figured it would be the same for corpses. Now I can safely ignore burned corpses too.

It doesn't hurt to butcher them too if you want free survival exp.

Yeah, I'm at survival 2 at the moment, but sometimes it's just a detriment to butcher everyone. Especially if you're short on time or if you don't wish to lost stamina. But mostly the former.

MOTHERFUCKER

You have fun with that lad.

Oh by the way, just curious, in Cataclysm:DDA who else is using a soundpack? I found ChestHole to be pretty good, but I edited out some obnoxious background music with some of my own, luckily I got a lot of ambient music, now it's top tier.

I use ChestHole but without the music

I think it could be even better if you replaced some of the music with quiet sound files, so it wasn't constantly playing something.

I actually think I'll do that sooner or later. Along with my own music and some of the good tracks from ChestHole.

Moving around logs and scraps of metal has never been easier.

You can also use / to drag huge piles of vehicle parts to a car you're fixing up.

So have they given up on stable releases for DDA?

Apparently, since the last one is more than a year old now

I've been hitting that menu on accident for a long time now and I never looked at it because it looked complex and I figured it was useless anyway.

I've been fueling fires the wrong way for days.

Is this some kind of meme? Pic not related, rolled the best worldgen full of free XP.

They're apparently waiting for some sort of big flagship feature. Also for all the stuff in this list to be fixed/implemented: github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/milestones/0.D

WEW
E
W

Three cheers for brute force, I guess.

Sometimes the simpler solutions are often the best ones

It's my favorite roguelike because its well made and has a nice story. It is one of the easier ones though.

Brilliant.
I guess I'll just keep studying coding until then.

Sledgehammers are incredible but I swapped mine for a fire axe instead. It's gotten to the point where I one shot most lesser mobs and the tougher ones get slammed backwards.

In rougelikes you are not supposed to fight everything you see. You supposed to pick your fights wisely.

Well yeah, but those goatmen are fucking insane. One good throw from one of the grenadiers and you're straight-up fucked.

Get the light-control mutation. That one is pretty OP and I think that's what I used to get rid of the grenadiers.

Anyone else playing Dwarf Fortress adventure mode? Combat is goddamn awesome. Eyegouging, bonebreaking, and so much more.

A few versions ago there was a mod called Fear the Night or something, that shit was incredible. The monsters were insanely OP but if you know what you were doing you could beat them and/or steal their power and become superhuman. Sadly it hasn't been updated.

>Get told that PosChengband was updated, decide to try doing more Hasty death sword runs

Fuck. I'm glad the starter dungeon isn't fuckin' Camelot anymore but I still get shat on. Not to mention the fact that the game finds it hard to give me any fucking ego weapons at all.

Fuck Cataclysm NPCs. I leave my comfy basement for a single second to check whether it's still daylight, and an NPC spawns in my bedroom behind a doorway blocked with a bookshelf and starts stealing all of my shit.

So glad I took Psychopath and Cannibal at chargen. It's the only way dealing with NPCs isn't insanity inducing.

They fixed yet? No "error error" messages because of them?

Poschengband is too big and there is hardly any info on it in the net besides auto generated data. Its cool and all, but I never did it past char lvl 30.

Well yeah. It's about three hundred different -bands stuffed into one variant. No one sane is going to try and sort that into anything.

Well, some people say that learning by playing the game is the best way.

That, and through the 'C'haracter sheet. It was how a friend of mine found out that tonberries actually get slower as they level up. (x0.85 attacks per level I believe it was.)

I haven't gotten any error spam or had an NPC's head explode because they tried to eat a lighter yet. They seem stable.

bump