I heard from a source in NASA

So I just found out from a person who works inside NASA, that a new control center is being built in Houston. The purpose of this building is to handle communications for a purposed lunar refueling station for manned missions to Mars in the future. They didn't give a time frame for this when I asked but I was told they've been given the green light and to make it happen as soon as they can.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Solar_System_objects_by_size
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid_mining#Potential_targets
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_design_process
io9.gizmodo.com/early-design-specs-show-the-space-shuttle-could-have-be-1528524224
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_V
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn-Shuttle
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'd love the idea, but won't hold my breath. Too many LARPers in the Internet.

Centers like this require things like congressional approval for funds. Why do you think it's called the "John Glenn Space Center" in Cleveland? Because he was their Senator and got it approved to be built there.

This is bugging me. Why Mars if we do not have a Moon colony yet? The Moon is supposed to be our test drive before we colonize Mars, otherwise it will be a far more difficult leap to make.

There's a number of reasons why Mars instead of the Moon. The main reason for the Moon and not Mars is proximity. This is a substantial reason, but the enticements of Mars are also substantial.

Mars is the only other celestial body in our solar system upon which planet that we can potentially walk without too much accomodation. Don't discount this factor as a big deal.

Ultimately, because of the intrinsically inhospitable lunar environment, Mars may be the first and perhaps only other celestial body in our solar upon which we can ever establish more than the most bare of colonies.

OTOH, with enough substantial technological accomodation, we can build environments suitable for our life almost anywhere. The Moon could be a tool to help us get to higher orbits, should we need it. Still, orbiting space stations for the most part could serve the same purpose better, easier in most cases.

NASA has never sent anything into space.

I see, thanks.

ZOG tech put there by their Russian pawns.

…unless we can move Venus into a higher orbit, replace the atmosphere with a more appropriate nitrogen/oxygen-rich mixture, and cool the entire planet's surface. But that is pretty far-out speculation at this point, a gargantuan task, and probably will forever be.

For now, Mars.

Wouldn't that fuck up the entire solar system due to the planet's own gravity field?

Ground based, with high altitude balloons and buoys providing cover over oceans
High altitude balloons.

Colonizing whatever rocky/icy moons the gas giants have is much more likely.

I have literally watched the ISS and other satellites through telescopes. How could a balloon move that fast and, you know, not be balloon shaped.

yeah, this is bullshit. it would be much more fuel efficient to use an earth grav assist with a delta v. Compare that to delta v to moon, spew out gallons of fuel to get back in orbit, then do bigger delta v to get to Mars. Lunar bases will only save efficiency once we can make rockets on the moon

We have millions of starving niggers, spics and moslems here. Not to mention racism. We should solve these problems first before wasting money on space missions.

This can be done through mass extermination programs.

Do you honestly believe this tactic of making Holla Forums look insane is working? You've been at it for at least a good decade now. I sincerely hope you at least get your 20 shekels a month for doing it.

Not if we do it right. We could move the planet to higher orbit with another loose celestial body of planetary size, provided we had one handy, such as Niburu, and could steer it and time it just right. Again, that's unlikely to happen in the limited time we have left in this solar system.

Once we have a solid grasp grasp of how to replicate/control gravity, why would we live on a naturally-occuring celestial body when we can make our own portable environments which are more perfectly aligned with our needs? More likely, we will be mining Jovian moons for materials to build space dwellings and ships. Also the composition of those moons is rather important. Why would anyone want to live on a ball of frozen methane? It's a cold, atmosphere-less, low gravity, no water, low light, high radiation environment.

We've already been to Mars if you buy into the conspiracy theories that there are secret space programs and you know the government is so benevolent they'd never lie about that.

Frankly NASA comes off as one big joke intended on deceiving the public.

A 215 lb. person on earth only weighs 80 lb. on Mars.

A perfect ad for sending a rustbucket full of landwhales there.

This. Department of Defense Space Programs clearly exist and are lightyears (pun intended) of civilian space programs. Whether the USS Hillenkoeter is real I'll leave up to you but we definitely have orbit capable vehicles at this point.

True enough to be accepted as canon.

googling gives just a bunch of conpsiritard sites.

spoonfeed me pls, what's the USS Hill and what does it do?

Quads of BTFO. I like how he stopped posting after that.

SOMEBODY keeps cleaning the dust off the Rover solar cells. SPACECOM guys probably have good senses humor.

burden of proof, and all

but to be fair, something like a covert US space program is definitely within the realm of possibility

As a farmer, this makes me hard

We do not need a moon base to go to ==Mars==. There are plenty of misconceptions about space travel and this is one of them.

On the other hand though, a Luna base means a Callisto base. A two-for-one as Callisto and our moon would offer similar problems and would be able to use same tech.

Still, ==Mars== requires nearly all of our attention in reality.

Here is an old post I made with some thoughts and notes on various objects and the solar system.

——————————————-

As it stands now, North America is on-course to become a desert. Crazily enough though, that doesn't matter. The United States, the third largest Country in the world by population is only about half full with current tech. That's without compromising standard of living which is the highest in the world.
Link is solar System object list: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Solar_System_objects_by_size
I would direct your attention to the Gravity column. If the gravity isn't comparable [to Earth's] then anything more than a base wouldn't be advisable. You would want massive engineering works to simulate Earth's gravity with centrifugal force habitats. This is difficult and in my opinion would make these low grav moons and planets undesirable. Even Mars, which is head and shoulders above all other prospects is still on the hairy edge of feasibility for sustainable surface colonies. Nothing more than a base should be built on the Moon in the near future but we could build a City on Mars.
That's a distinction I want to make. Mars can support a colony and the Moon, only a base.
Escaping Earth's gravity well is very difficult and cost prohibitive. Contrast that with the Moon's low gravity. Despite low-grav being a detriment to large-scale human habitation, a semi-automated, human supervised Lunar base could be very advantageous to facilitate yet un-imagined engineering projects. For example, maybe constructing an Elysium style space station might be easier if some of the work could be done on the Moon.
I'm assuming you mean nuclear waste. I would note that much of France's nuclear waste resides in a single room [in the floor] and it's quite manageable. Nuclear reactors on the Moon is a great idea but launching the material from Earth in the first place would be terrifying. If the rocket exploded inside our atmosphere, it would be horrible.
I've heard the Moon has very little we need but maybe if we invent Fusion we could make use of what little is there. For example, helium-3 exists on the Moon but is rare on Earth.
Side-note, transporting any amount of material from space to Earth is not profitable or desirable. If you mine material, you should pretty much use it on-site.
Just a scientific, industrial, depot, base thing with a rotating crew. Not unlike the ISS or an Antarctic base.
All substantial efforts should go towards Mars. No other object in the solar system even comes close. the proximity of the Moon isn't truly relevant.
Just for fun though I'll list other objects in the solar system that show promise for some type of permanent human presence. Even if it's a robotic outpost or lightly populated base.
Venus's upper atmosphere: It's 115 degrees and it rains sulfuric acid but it's gravity and atmospheric pressure is similar that high from the surface.
Callisto: It's geologically stable and far enough out from Jupiter's deadly magnetic field. Surface gravity would be comparable to the Moon and a Callisto base would probably resemble a lunar base. Much of the tech developed for a Lunar base would be directly transferable.
Ganymede: A planet in it's own right, it's larger than Mercury but not as massive. There is thought to be a partial magnetic field near the equator, which may be useful. Callisto is still probably our best bet for a base to exploit Jupiter's system of Moons. Europa's oceans are more than that of Earths… that is useful stuff.
Europa: Maybe not the best place for a base due to being an ice-frosted water ball with no real solid land. The surface moves and cracks. if you lived here, you'd want to live in a submerged vessel in a pocket of water to shield yourself from radiation. It'd be awkward and cramped…
Titan: It's an amazing Moon. It has a stoney surface, an atmosphere and lakes of liquid methane. Atmosphere could be useful but sadly, a super low-grav place.
Iapetus: Farther out than Titan and escaping Titan's atmosphere could be more trouble than it's worth. Like Callisto Iapetus is far enough from it's parent body that it isn't bathed in a magnetic field. A base here could be useful to exploit the Moon's of Saturn. Leeching Enceladus of water before retreating or heading farther out into the solar system.

A Moonbase is imperative for keeping costs down for Solar-System exploration and industry. Whoever sets it up will be the arbiter of success for when the asteroid belt is mined, when Jupiter and Saturn's moons are colonized, etc.

Not to mention humanity desperately needs a new frontier.

Moving any amount of anything in the solar system is not cost effective. Even if there was an asteroid made entirely of platinum it still wouldn't offset the cost. If you mine something, you have to use it at the site or very close to it. We do not need a Moon base and it doesn't make as much sense as Mars. The raw materials needed simply aren't on the moon and would require resupply just like ISS. Moon can support a base, Mars can support an actual *self-sustaining* colony. You're not listening/comprehending.

The cost would be offset if we had giant engineering projects that required an asteroid full of platinum. Logistical cost decreases the more developed the industry becomes.

Lurk more.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid_mining#Potential_targets

Why do we want to let the kikes push us into mining asteroids for precious metals? THE most valuable resource in space will be water.

Are you the same user that gave me some pointers and spoke of what to do with having an underground base on Mars a while back? I should have honestly taken a screenshot, because it was some pretty solid info personally.

Precious metals would help heavily keep costs down on further space projects while also returning the costs that originally going there would incur in the first place. That said, you are absolutely correct on water being one of these most precious resources out in space that we can harvest, not just in living value but also valuable in general.

Water is extremely easy to find in space. Most terrestrial bodies in space have water ice on there poles, with water one can split it for fuel and a breathable atmosphere. Provided you have the energy for it

Hello newfriend
Because you made an effort post I will explain our ways to you
Text you want in red must be on it's own line with ==on either side==
==Like so==>>9641478

The ISS alone is the most expensive single object ever at over 100 billion dollars. Also, you would effectively crash the price of all those materials bringing that much to Earth. Assuming you could bring back enough of it. Consider the payloads of chemical rockets is very small as well. It's simply isn't feasible at this time.

Could you at least skim the post and comment on something in it, cool guy.

You've played too much EVE

I don't think I am.

On the subject of underground Mars habitats, I heard Elon Musk mention it would be easy to pressurize dormant lava tubes on Mars. More recently though, a concept of ice habitats on Mars was made. I think the real deal could look like these.

Seeing this legitimately makes me wonder if all the rich, powerful people quietly left for some luxury space colony decades ago and left the rest of us to rot in the colossal mess they made.

It's easier to fake a Mars colony than a moon base, since moon is much closer to the earth. If they ever claim to reach Mars and establish a colony, it'll be made in a Hollywood basement.

wew

Except for the fact that Callisto is FIVE FUCKING AU AWAY and we don't have a single fucking rocket with the delta v to carry even one module out there.

doubt we would directly colonize the moons of the gas giants due to their crushing gravity and radiation. We would mine and even land shielded production facilities to concentrate or even smelt ores. We would moniter and control this stufff from a safe distance in deep space habitats complete with massive entertainment metroplexes ,parks etc…Thousands of workers as well as wealthy tourist on sightseeing junkets.

None of these moons is within the Roche limit, so gravity won't be any problem in that it would "crush" you, and radiation shielding is as easy as burrowing in.

Never enough

t. FanFestFag

The gas giants themselves would crush you of course but some of the moons are safe to walk on. The problem is not too much gravity but not enough of it.

Gas yourself.

So basically, the intention is to create a future for Americans?

You guys know that the minute we mine an asteroid, the value of those materials drops, right? Now that isn't bad- not at all. There are all kinds of advantages we could have.

Imagine if asteroid mining was a national project of the USA, being done for civic-minded purposes.

It could be breddy gud. If not a stranglehold, we'd have a firm grasp on renewable energy and electronics industries to replace our old interests in oil and the petrodollar.

It's also easier to make a real one on Mars rather than on Moon, since Mars has decent gravitation and atmospheric pressure.

So your uncle works at NASA?
What about Battletoads?

Terraform it so it gets a usable magnetic field, first.
That can change considerably.

I'm sure his being a war hero and famous astronaut has nothing to do with that.

Absolutely. They surveyed the smallest near-Earth asteroid (James Cameron and some other billionaires want to mine asteroids) and they've estimated it has $500 billion worth of iron and more platinum than the entire planet mines in a year.

We can mine it slowly to avoid crashing the value of metals, or we can deliberately crash the market for metals to fuck over the foreign competition by doing as you said: controlling the source of cheap metals as a carrot-and-stick. Companies/countries we like get cheap metals, companies/countries we don't like have to mine it, refine it, etc. themselves and try to sell it for a profit despite the price of the metal dropping through the basement.

We could hold the entire world's economy by the balls.

Hell, we could do the same with energy prices with H3 from the moon and the upper atmosphere of the gas giants.

Additionally, we could maintain our monopoly on space resources by holding the biggest military advantage ever: weaponized space. Satellites drop kinetic projectiles, ranging in size from a drone strike to a tactical nuke (with no radioactive fallout), and we could do it anywhere in the world within minutes of deciding to target a location or person; and unlike an aircraft or missile, you can't shoot down a tungsten rod traveling at mach 12. Tests have shown they'd be accurate enough to shoot down ICBM's and aircraft in flight, meaning NOBODY COULD NUKE US BUT WE COULD NUKE THEM WITH IMPUNITY. Anyone launching a rocket to get into space could be shot down on the launch pad or in flight.

If they did manage to get into space somehow, a base on the moon, Mars, etc. would see them coming for days or even months in advance and could fire a railgun slug, missile, or laser at them and kill them long before they got into range to attack or land troops. Dominating space would make us a literally unstoppable military superpower AND an economic juggernaut.

Hell, just building O'Neill Island 3 colonies would be economically viable; they could grow food in perfect climate-controlled environments with year-round harvests (no food shortages no matter how big your population), each one could house several million people so there's plenty of lebensraum, you can move heavy industry into space to avoid polluting Earth, etc.

If we got off our asses and got serious about space instead of shoveling money at welfare niggers and kikes, we would literally be the Thousand Year Reich.

i can confirm this my dad works at nintendo and he said they are supplying nasa with nintendo switches for the mars mission

The magnetic field isn't strictly necessary, and even with a magnetic field the solar wind would still strip the atmosphere away after several thousand years; once we terraformed Mars we would have to KEEP dropping comets and releasing gases so it would have a breathable atmosphere, but by then it would simply be doing that once every couple hundred years to maintain a habitable planet for thousands of years.

If we decide a magnetic field IS necessary, we can, ironically, start it up again with magnets. We can generate magnetic fields hundreds of times more powerful than Earth's magnetic field, and using a series of satellites and ground stations producing such fields, we can melt Mars' core and get it spinning again, generating the magnetic field.

Unfortunately we will be counting every gram that gets sent to mars so fertilizer whales will never make the trip

Before you get on about H3, we don't know if it's the ideal fuel source or not so don't get ahead of yourself there.

Now when it comes to energy- there IS a way to have the world by the balls…
Space based solar power

Uncle Sam will build you a power station in GSO and microwave the power to a receiver in your country. Clean, nigh unlimited energy. Now if you misbehave… your power supply can be cut.

As to weaponizing space, Project Thor is a good start but we really should revisit the Orion battleship concept. A handful of those would ensure no enemy could make a breakout of the gravity well. If they wanted to wrest space from us, they'd have to content with the Orion fleet.

Naturally, we could extend this. Powers wanting cheap raw materials and power must submit to having all launches inspected by the USA to ensure they're not military and carry no threat of subverting our economic power in space. Those that don't comply get their raw materials and power cut off.

We can use the wealth from this not just for a US sovereign wealth fund and to pad our pensions for our ageing population, we can do bigger and better things at home too.

The idea is to build a new US economy wherein the middle class is their own boss. Everyone possible either owns their job directly or owns a good portion of their employer. They're invested in the economy and produce for themselves. As software improves and automates away the need for massive bureaucracies, companies can get smaller while growing profit margins- small enough that we can "distribute" the waste from bureaucrats and middle-men to the workers directly.

Ideally, people will go to college to learn about lab work, graduate, and buy their own lab equipment to set up shop in a garage or other space for themselves. EVERYONE will be encouraged to become an entrepreneur and own their own job to at least some extent. We want MAXIMUM engagement here.

I've read some things that say the same. It may be that the Sun is older and cooler now and Mars would have a pretty easy time holding an atmosphere. All we have to do is tend to it like you said.

NASA a shit. The Nazis had anti-grav in the 40's and the German scientists who were working on these projects were brought into the US through Operation paperclip and formed the core of NASA and various other groups within the US intelligence apparatus after the war. Hidden tech is centuries ahead of public tech. Stop falling for this lame reheated dog shit.

Those blimps remind me of that absolutely shitty book Red Planet Run. Do not read, it's fucking shit.

Literally fucking kill yourself. We all know black projects will always be beyond public projects but this just might bring some of those black projects into the public.

With a rebuilt middle class, more secure and engaged than ever, we'll start to see innovation accelerate. When the company's money is YOUR money, decisions tend to get a lot better and we'll see dramatic improvements in software and other tech as wasteful or inefficient products/solutions get weeded out.

Imagine buying a car in this economy I propose:

Ideally, EVERYTHING could work this way in a revitalized economy. Lab testing for a farm's soil, medical labs, pharmaceutical manufacturing (polydrugs made based on your genetic profile), etc.

MASSIVE amounts of money could be made and there opens up whole new sectors of banking that are decentralized. Just think of the movement and generation of wealth something like this could engender. A strong American middle class consuming more efficiently than ever, backed by nearly unlimited raw materials and energy.

In a couple generations, this kind of workforce and this kind of economy would be the PERFECT breeding ground for colonists once the holdings in space get serious enough to require/allow for human habitation at any realistic scale.

Funny thing is, the moment the Martian colony becomes self-sufficient, it will declare independence.

You are a special kind of shill, user. The kind that makes you think "wtf, that's so stupid…. wait… areyoushillingmeagain.jpg?"

Kek. Releasing information for the sake of the species does not require drumming up some multi-trillion dollar slave money tax sink hole. Here's how someone who actually wanted you to know the truth would do it: "hey guy's all this shit has been hidden for a hundred years, here are the documents". Done. You've got to be so naive to be buying into this shit a this point honestly.

Going to have to go with because he's the first American to orbit the Earth and is from Ohio.

That sounds suspiciously like that private contractor economy plan made dreamt up by Hessdrinking can't pin down the name was it? I strongly doubt we will get to such a point in our lifetime but if that point is ever reached there will literally be nothing standing in the way of a lolbertarian/ancap society.

If there is enough demand for anything you can bet your ass someone with clearance will sell it.

As for the "hey guys" point that would cause the same disruption panic and chaos as fucking ays invading. You can't give monkeys Abrahams and A10s and expect shit not to hit the fan.

That's not even a joke. It's a serious consideration. Part of the reason why no governments want to bother investing in space colonization is that they know as soon as the colony they invested so much time/money/energy into becomes sustainable, it's going to secede.

That out of the way, Mars is a meme planet and not ideal for colonization. Its gravity is too low, and would result in plenty of health problems. It has no magnetosphere to protect you from solar radiation. I's atmosphere barely even exists. And with the low gravity and lack of a magnetosphere, terraforming remains fundamentally flawed and you'd never be able to get the planet to a decent state.

Venetian colonization with floating cloud cities in the upper atmosphere where the pressure/temperature is earth-like would be much better. And more badass. You'd still have to worry about the atmosphere being poisonous, but that's a lot less of an issue compared to all the shit with mars.

DUDE WEED LMAO WEED SHAPED CAR

Buying software… certified… reminds me of how people call and ask me if I am "licensed" to repair computers… and how the online small biz forum I joined is filled with customers wanting someone "licensed" to remove yard debris, change their oil, do minor house repairs. Top kek.

HEY JIM BOB HAND ME THAT THERE LASER THINGY LETS CUT THIS BIATCH! WOOOOOO!

Why would I want a car that has a phone's OS? Why would I want a car with an OS? Why would I want a car with a computer?

HEY JIMBOB CALL YER UNCLE THIS THING NEED A WEED SHAPED BODY I BET HE CAN HAMMER ONE OUT

The most interesting part to customize, is now a toaster. Color me yawning. Also… batteries? Hahahahaha. Gasoline is king and will remain so until major innovations happen.

Yeah labor is that cheap, Jimmy Snitzel and his crew down the street will just spend a couple weeks doing nothing but hand assembling your car.

I agree user. The ruling class keeps us all as slaves, limiting our intellect, health, lifespans, access to information, understanding of history, access to technology, etc., for our own good. Gee it would just be terrible if they weren't looking out for us so dutifully.

Gravity is the biggest issue, subteranian colonies will eventually become the norm on rocky planets that lack molten cores. As for gas giants gravity is once again the biggest issue but in the opposite direction, there will likely be narrow rings of polar colonies much like you described to fight the gravity issue to some degree but ultimately we will need to alter ourselves to make long term colonies feasible.

How about using technology to alter our surroundings?

Automation and a changed workforce. It's possible, even if you can't envision it. There's nothing wrong with a highly consumer-centric, decentralized economy.

I can imagine humans slowly turning themselves into Tanya Dziahileva lookalikes, and it is horrifying.

Go to the zoo and throw a loaded glock in the ape cage, or just go to Detroit. Look at what humanity has become with the advent of the internet, drooling retards that have everything at their fingertips but lack any drive to get it. Leftists as we know them today are a new breed raised in part by their own irresponsible actions on the net and in part by propaganda fed to them.

RHCP PLEASE GO

There are limits, unless we figure out how to make artificial gravity that isn't just spinning shit(only works in lower gravity environments so that limits us) we will have to adapt one way or another. That could be natural adaptation or artificial augmentation.

what if we settle mars and discovery it was settled by Egyptians?

fuck off christfag

We dont need to personally colonize every rock floating around in space. We can put robots in planets too extreme for human life.

Mars is the ultimate goal.
To achieve Mars, we must also take Moon

What if martians are just niggers who illegally immigrated to Earth? Or an intergalatic viral scrouge which implanted itself on Mars long to destroy and now has done the same to Earth to slowly eat up all the resources to then again once the Sun blows up to find another residence amongest the Stars.

Possibly, I find that line of thought dangerously close to the "we will have the perfect communist utopia as soon as robots do all the work" "it's robots all the way down man" idea though.

Soon

Moon and Mars are easy from technological point of view as well as I'm sure there would be many volunteers who'd be ok staying there forever.

The real problem is our resolve like its always been if for instance we lost a human mission to Mars in a purely White state, it'd be sad but we'd continue with our projects.

The Jew run media not white ethnostate it'd be all about how we need to give out more welfare to blacks and all the other ball and chains. Like war for Israel and et cetera.

Which is why we need a nuke platform on the moon.

Not necessarily.

A Mars mission is 9 months trip, 3 month on it, 9 months back.

It's about the same kind of trip the explorer of Columbus era did.
Only problem is you need to pack everything you need.

And since everybody is too busy to fap on light LEO rockets with poor success rate instead of focusing on making something that can lob 50k to escape trajectory.
And I mean make make = produce. The Russians have been sitting on one for nearly 30 years now (last soviet rocket design), they tested every part of it, the engines for it power numerous rockets, including NASA Atlas V, they just need to assemble the whole thing and test it…

Which they aren't doing because there is no fucking way they can pay for a Mars space program on their own.
But since they're evil Ruskies everyone pretend it doesn't exist and rather throw tax money at Musk because he's doing shit we know how to do since the 1950's (and everyone who thinks it's cheaper to reuse rockets has never heard the terms "rocket science" and "maintenance creep" protip: if you have to half rebuild the thing after every launch, which you do cause the most minor flaw means losing $ billions in cargo, it's always cheaper on the long run to just make a new one because fixing things on industrial scale is always costlier than producing things on industrial scale).

We are still using planes manufactured 65 years ago in our military, and the ancient monsters don't seem to be shaking apart at all.

Thats because they're well built.
Stuff doesn't get built like that anymore and the rockets have to have a lot of shit replaced after launch.

No it's not.
There is nothing more monitored than space launches and LEO movements, by civilians astronomers but by all the militaries of the world since it's the first sign of nuke rain.

The fucking Russians didn't got away with their parasite micro satellites they've been toying with recently (we're talking 30kg large CPU case sized things), the US isn't getting away with it's exo-atmospheric drones (X-41 and cie), there isn't aircraft sized spaceships anywhere… Even the fucking ISS isn't that big (one football field at best).

There's an old Russian joke: "Why was the Tsar good? Well, in Tsar's times, I could still get an erection."
Technology got even better since the Cold War. What's stopping Musk, with billions at his disposal, from dumping them into high-grade materials and personnel to assemble them and get sturdy as fuck rockets?
Also, is the shuttle idea abandoned completely? Because that thing was quite nice.

Holla Forums wasn't even around in 2007, newfag.

If they did we'd make our own Holla Forums spaceship just to fuck them up. Nothing motivates you more than revenge.

WE ORK NOW

Yes and go read a GAO report about it.
It would be cheaper to buy THREE new B-52 per year than flying ONE of the ones in service. And the B-52 are actually pretty cheap to operate compared to a less rugged more techy B-1…
The cold war era stockpile is the main reason why the US military budget is so fucking high.
Legacy systems are a money blackhole, you throw money at it and it just grows, because stuff just gets older and older and therefore spend more more time in maintenance to be at peak condition and cost more and more.

We always were,. user
Meme magic = WAAAAAAGH

Because it's not done that way anymore.
Everyone prefers things to be just within tolerance.
Nobody over engineers anymore. So Musk would need to find some people capable of it and get them to redesign all his shit.

Tell me more, please. Why are they so expensive to maintain? I thought they were built to last ages.

Now someone just needs to get that idea to him.

Wew lad.

They're expensive to maintain because things have to be replaced, things have to be tested to ensure they're not falling apart, etc.
All of this consumes man hours as well.

As for Musk and overengineering. He won't do it. It's too expensive.

I still remember the utter failure that was F-117 and how much money was dumped into that flying piece of scrap metal, but B-52 is far from a failed project. And "maintenance" in its case mostly involves installing new tech, not testing for metal fatigue and mechanical damage.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

but in order for ZOG to have those tech they need to be in space, you fucking imbecile.

are you implying that powerful and wicked people like the kikes wouldn't want to be in space first?

inb4 ban

You're the idiot with the "dude, floating cities on Venus" meme that shows up in every space thread, aren't you.

There is literally no fucking reason to ever go to Venus, ever. You can't get any resources from there, you can't survive without importing every single thing you need, it produces nothing useful, and the engineering problems necessary to make your floating city possible are WAY harder than putting a permanent base or colony on Mars.

Colonizing Venus makes as much sense as nailing your dick to a door and slamming it repeatedly.

No.
For every set amount of flying hours you have various maintenance and testing procedures that have to be done.
Things have to be replaced, fluids drained and replaced, etc.

As the aircraft ages the time between many of these especially the testing procedures becomes shorter.
And over their life the aircraft will pick up irreparable but not scrapworthy damage that further complicates matters.

I see, thanks.

Also, the lunar regolith clogs air filters and ruins suits incredibly fast. It's like microscopic razorblades. Apollo astronauts described what a pain it was and how hard it was to clean up once they returned from their EVAs.

I remember reading that Mars might have the same problem with its abrasive dust, especially considering it is driven by winds. Nothing to worry about at an underground base, but such a base takes time and effort to build.

I'm not privy to the specifics of the B52.

But to give an idea. There's set points where the engines have to be removed and replaced.
Once that is done you have to then go and test the engines and check to make sure the removal and fitting has not introduced any new structural damage

And when the interior of the lunar module was accidentally contaminated with moon dust, it gave both astronauts horrible hay fever-like symptoms.

Mars isn't as bad, it's more operating in the Middle East than the Lunar surface; yes, it's abrasive sand and very fine, but it's still not as bad, and the higher gravity means it won't get into as many things. Plus, with the thin atmosphere Mars has, you can wear a simple vacuum suit rather than full-blown spacesuit, so there will be less things for dust/sand to get into, and astronauts will be wearing less weight/bulk.

An airlock system would still need to be used on Mars, obviously. They'll probably have a couple Roombas inside the Mars base just making sure they get all the dirt that gets tracked in despite precautions.

I just checked and they haven't replaced engines on B-52 at all. There was an attempt to do so, but it stayed on paper.
Not sure why B-52 are kept active at all, to be honest. I admire their resilience and service record, but they are relics of an age long gone. Anti-air and radar systems have long ago evolved to almost perfectly counter them.

Because unless you're making planes (or rockets) out of diamonds stuff just wears down.
And the more complex and extreme the forces applied to the stuff, the lowest are the error margins, so the more careful you have to be. Which means a very complex maintenance to perform, which means a very pricy maintenance because you have to: step 1 dismantle, step 2 inspect/test, step 3 ID problem, step 4 order/install parts, step 5 re-build.
Or you can just go: step 1 build.
You can cut those costs with good engineering, but it's to a point.

Which is the reason why nobody bothered to make reusable rockets (the Russian recycle their first stages and they're just fine with having them crash landing…) because the profit is too small to be worth the risks.

Especially when you factor the fact that every once of fuel the rocket carry to land would be worth $ millions if it had been cargo…

Pro tip.

They already have moon bases, they are just going to let you know about them now.

Again, why not use shuttles with cheap dummy rockets? Use the dummy (essentially a fuel container + engine) to get it into orbit, and it comes back by itself. Was the idea completely scrapped after Columbia blew up?

Moon bases were built long ago. The Moon is a hollowed out planetoid brought into orbit likely as a monument of some kind. That is why it appears as the same size as the sun and why it mirrors the sun's path through the sky through the seasons, ie during winter, the moon's path is high in the sky like the sun in summer.

Read the book "Who Built the Moon?". Fantastic analyzation that has no bullshit or absurd speculation. I think it's on /pdfs/.

M8…

Alright, larp or not, lets say the aliens are coming. Lets say they're migrating after destroying their former system, and their ships are pointing right to earth.

What would happen? Just think about it for a second.

What could mankind do in such situation? Build some sort of military base on the moon?

Honestly, how long do you think mankind would exist in such scenario?

What meme will last forever?

The F-117 wasn't a failure, it worked as advertised; the problems with it were that technology advanced, meaning its stealth was obsolete, and the USAF was retarded enough to keep flying strikes on exactly the same route every time, allowing one to get shot down no matter how stealthy it was. Had they varied flight paths, I strongly doubt they'd have ever had one get shot down. Once detection technology caught up to the F-117's stealth, it was retired and the more advanced B-2 was adopted.

As for why it's a money pit:

With ANY stealth aircraft, you're adding to a lot of the maintenance that a jet aircraft already requires, so of course it's going to be substantially more expensive. Everything on a stealth jet is orders of magnitude more expensive than driving your little two-door Honda.

Shit, even something as comparatively simple as an Abrams tank spends more time undergoing maintenance than it does in combat; an average M1A2 spends four hours undergoing maintenance for every hour it spends in combat operations, and that's just stuff like adjusting the tracks, changing fluids, checking the engine, making sure the gun is boresighted, etc. Much simpler than maintaining a state-of-the-art (for the time) aircraft.

The B-52 is a much, MUCH simpler aircraft than the F-117 or even the B-1, much less the B-2. The problem there is that the B-52's in service are decades old and need increasingly more maintenance just to stay operational, because the air frames, engines, avionics, etc. are all wearing out with more and more use. And guess what? We don't have the means of manufacturing all the replacement parts anymore, because the factory that made the B-52 closed down decades ago; they get replacement parts by cannibalizing other planes that are left rotting out in the deserts of California and Nevada.

Comparing the B-52 to the F-117 is like complaining that the Lamborghini Diablo is much more expensive and maintenance-prone than your Mitsubishi Galant. Yes, they're both cars and do ESSENTIALLY the same thing, but they're worlds apart in performance, materials, and requirements.

That part's my speculation. The book seems like it was written by normalfags who were just curious about it. It's really intriguing. Also, some Zulunigger tribe has a story they pass down that the moon was brought into orbit from Jupiter 50k years ago by two reptillian brothers. Take that for what you will heh.

it was called /new/ and /news/ (text only)

I remember trying to redpill on the JQ back then

we already have one 90% of NASAs funding was classified from its inception

Thanks for the comprehensive post, user. Except I was not comparing F-117 to B-52, I just said that it was a money sink that didn't even work for as long as was promised. Also, I had no idea they cannot manufacture new parts for old planes.

Decentralization makes a lot of sense.

Why do we ship Idaho potatoes and mid-western beef? It's very inefficient. Products imported from all the way on the other side of the Pacific? I strongly suspect the trend will be towards localized, specialized products custom tailored to the consumer. No detail would be too fine. No more one size fits all. This ties back into a society that's ready to make a jump to space. You would want to be independent as a community and flexible to be able to bootstrap on a new planet.

Elon Musk floated the idea of experimental governments on new colonies. He mentioned a direct democracy. Maybe because of light speed communication, people wouldn't need representatives, they would vote directly themselves. Think about it, during the founding of the U.S. farmer Joe couldn't go all the way to Philadelphia or wherever but his local representative could. There is no such need with our technology.

Say that to a room full of planetary scientists and geologists and shit. I want *you* to get up on-stage in front of a room full of people in scientific fields and say that same dumb shit to them…

Yeah, that's why you still live w/ Mom.

Nah man, we just become machines. Just like the probes who are doing all of the exploration these days. Organic life is inefficient to say the least.

Panspermia is a real thing.

Okay, I'll just buy a new car instead of painting it and replacing a shattered window.

I'll just buy a new printer because inc cartridges are so expensive.

I'll just buy paper plates so I don't have to do the dishes.

Brilliant.

Because the shuttle design is unnecessarily complicated, mainly because the plane design would make sense if it could really glide and land… problem is a shuttle fly like a brick and need fuel, wings AND parachutes to stop.

When a Soyuz just need (less) fuel and parachutes…
It's myth that the shuttle were reusable, the reason why there were so few launches per year (of the same ones) was because they rebuilt like 80% of them each time and they spent 4-5 months in maintenance for every flight.
And 2 out 5 exploded…

Would it be too much to ask for a sauce on this?

Unless we were already heavily established in space and had warships, defense satellites, lasers, nukes, railguns, etc. we'd be completely and totally fucked. We'd have no possibility of defending ourselves because they could shoot down any missiles or spacecraft we launched before they reached orbit, and they wouldn't have to land troops, they could just drop asteroids on us until we went extinct. Or just one big asteroid.

It would NOT be like in the movies. An alien invasion, at current technology levels and space infrastructure, wouldn't even count as a war at that point; it'd be pest control. It'd be like the entire US military, complete with nukes, deciding to pick a fight with a tribe of stone age Africans who don't even know there's a war until they get pasted with an ICBM.

If the aliens target us with a relativistic kill vehicle, we won't even realize we've been targeted until a few minutes (if that) before all life on the planet goes extinct forever.

A lot of the original companies that made the parts for different aircraft don't even exist anymore, and when a factory has been closed for 50+ years there's not a whole lot of point to keeping the machinery and tooling around for something you don't even make anymore.

Hell, just look at the F-22; the factory got shut down years ago, and there's literally HUNDREDS of sub-contractors responsible for all the different components that go into it; many of those components aren't in production anymore because the only thing still using them is the F-22, which, as I mentioned, isn't being manufactured. This actually makes the problem WORSE.

Hell, when they needed to upgrade the A-10 fleet and repair/replace the worn out guns on them, they discovered THE MACHINERY TO MAKE THE GUNS DIDN'T EXIST ANYMORE. Before they could replace components of the guns, they had to manufacture the machinery to manufacture the components! And several components had to be reverse-engineered, because the original blueprints were lost, damaged, or didn't include the specifications for a certain part, it just said which part was needed where.

Maintenance is a HUGE issue with military hardware, and it just gets worse over time as cutting-edge, current-production equipment becomes obsolete, legacy equipment that stays in service because it's still "good enough" or you don't have the budget to replace it with something better. And in many cases, shit eventually gets replaced by something not because the new one is actually better, but because it's cheaper to build something brand new than it is to keep finding ways to make an old, worn-out piece of shit functioning.

Also, the F-117 worked as promised, and would have remained in service a lot longer than it did; the reason it got retired is because the one that was shot down (due to stupidity and not any flaw in the aircraft itself) was carted off to Russia, meaning the technology that made it was compromised. Once the Russians could study it, they could devise means of detecting it more easily, and detection technology caught up to the stealth technology of the time and new stealth tech had to be developed and entered into service.

If the enemy captures your tank, studies the composition of its armor, its design, etc. and then develops a new 125mm round specifically designed to defeat it, so you develop a new tank that the new 125mm round doesn't work on, that doesn't mean the old tank was bad, it just means that 1) technology has moved on, and 2) the enemy got to study it and come up with something specifically designed to defeat it because they know exactly what is needed to do so now.

And the reason the shuttle design sucked is because the Air Force imposed a bunch of design requirements on NASA, forcing them to redesign it, and then dropped out, leaving NASA with a shuttle that was designed to fit a bunch of military compromises and no time or budget to design something better.

The initial shuttle design would have been a LOT more efficient and effective.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_design_process

io9.gizmodo.com/early-design-specs-show-the-space-shuttle-could-have-be-1528524224

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_V

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn-Shuttle

Trump already approved the mission to Mars, if this is a requirement for the mission, it's already approved.

Mars is the plan for the elite to escape the mess they make. The moon is too close, if people overran missile bases when SHTF they'd be able to hit the moon.
They only have to even worry about defending Mars every few years, there's a delay of several minutes so remote devices won't be very effective and it has an atmosphere which can theoretically grow potatoes.

As a native Houstonian. This excites me way too much. Pride swelling intensifies.

Leave. How did we get these low IQ mouthbreathers and why are they making long posts like they belong here?

Riiiiight. The only way that's happening is if they expect the highly-trained astronauts, engineers, etc. they brought with them just to get them there/keep them alive once they arrive to do all the work for them while they just sort of exist nearby. At which point they get thrown out an airlock and become fertilizer for the Martian potatoes.

Faggot, they reproduce.

None of their offspring are running the show. And other than age, that doesn't address the other issues.

They're dynasties, you dumb faggot. It doesn't matter which is running things because children take after their parents AND they are raised to be like their parents. They are effectively the same person from generation to generation.

I hope I live long enough to move into a space colony and get away from the Jews and niggers.

robert mccall's shit is so on point

You can't tell me that Soros' son is going to be nearly the evil mastermind the father is.

This.
The settlers of mars are going to be the next cowboys. They will be in a new land beyond the jurisdiction of any earth government. The people of mars will have to make their own political system. Also the gravity on mars is heavier than on earth so as humans reproduced there they would evolve and become extremely tall and muscular.

The settler of mars will at first be confined to a small camp but will expand. There will be midway camps and main camps all over mars. Maybe one day the planet will be terraformed.

Well the cucks would certainly spread open their poz holes for the ayy lmao migrants.

The smart thing to do would be to fly a nuke right into the middle of the ayy lmao space ship formation.

Fuck off shill.

Honestly, classic and retro space art is the best.

You have the right attitude, but you're woefully ignorant about even basic facts. I don't want to be a dick, but you need to do some reading. Start up with all the shit on Wikipedia, then move on to things like O'Neill's The High Frontier and move on from there.

Suck start a 12-gauge, you pompous dickweed. Quit distracting from the main point of the thread with your "hurr durr Rockefeller is going to use his entire fortune to live in a tiny building on a hostile planet where he has no useful skills or training" bullshit.

I think my favorite pre-Bane instance of this is US Marines using those bomb detection wands. They worked perfectly fine because Marines believed they did. Once it was discovered that they were chinesium garbage that was literally just a randomly activated LED light wand and the Marines found out, they stopped working.

Also, while I'm on a tangent, I encountered plenty of instances of meme magic during my stint in the Corps. Drawing a turtle on the ground would make rain either stop or start. Charms in a vehicle would inevitably get that vehicle hit with an IED. Keeping a picture of your girlfriend would invariably get you cheated on or killed. Marines are the most superstitious/meme filled branch of the US military, and they seem to encounter the most miracles (Sabaton even just made a song about a Marine urban legend where a dead Marine appeared to a lost Private and saved his ass in Vietnam, apparently based on a true story). It's no coincidence that the Marine infantry is and was historically almost entirely white.

Could you imagine a movie with space piracy like this? The ISS is seiged by a band of pirates using stoled decommissioned spacecraft.

Oh, and our Ospreys literally stay in the air because the Marine pilots think they will. "If there isn't fluid on the deck, something is wrong.". I flew in one that had a hydraulic line patched with a piece of aluminum from a beer can. I'm not joking. Beer can aluminum doesn't hold up to aeronautic-level hydraulic pressure. Not without Ork style meme magic, that is.

This is total bro science, but apparently if you strength train in earth gravity and rest/recover in low gravity from a young age, you will grow to be absolutely fucking massive. As in, Space Marine massive.

The problem is that people who live in low gravity have weaker muscles by default. A typical Martian would be much taller than a Terran, but more slender and much weaker physically.

Which is where the training in Earth gravity comes in. We'd just need to find a way to artificially create it in like room sized ares on the surface of Mars.

user, training in Earth gravity wouldn't help much if you lived in low gravity since you were an embryo. You would from the very start be weaker than someone who lived on Earth since day 1, because their muscles would be more developed due to passively adjusting to stronger gravity.

Yeah thats bullshit.

Nah, what would happen is martians would evolve to be a race of weak as fuck manlet hobbits, terraforming is a gargantuan task but possible, changing a planets gravity is not.

what if we are a colony left by other humanoids going around spreading their seed to other planets by mixing the dna with the planet's preexisting hominids (assuming hominids are a common evolutionary level)

Better use of tax dollars then giving it to fucking Israel. But only a handful of assholes will ever go. So fuck all that type of news because it doesn't apply to us. It's all bullshit meant to keep us on the rat wheel of this corrupt and broken society.

You know that ESA, Russia, China, and others will do the same, ending your dream monopoly almost instantly?

This is why it's essentiual to test drive everything there. It's MORE hostile than Mars, but also a lot closer in case of evac.
With Mars, it takes months to get anything there, and there's not a big window for launches, being on the other side of the sun for half the year.
Perfect shit on the moon, then try for Mars. Many will die before we can actually have The Expanse.

Nah, we can always make self-contained habitats EVERYWHERE if we use nuclear energy properly. Our own artificial stars.

From the sun-blasted Mercury to the icy Kepler objects… All will be filled with Humanity, to fulfill our purpose: conquest of the entire Universe.

Such a great show. MCR Forever.

It's funny, as a child you're taught that revenge is a negative thing, should be left up to some deity or cosmic force instead.

Nothing drives you quite like revenge. I should know, my entire life is dedicated to taking mine against one single man. It gives me a shocking clarity of purpose.

The O'Neill Island 3 space habitat doesn't need a nuclear reactor; it was designed in the 70's, before photovoltaic cells were practical/affordable, so it was powered by solar-thermal. Free energy, basically, and all it involves is using sunlight to heat water into steam and recycle it through a series of pipes to cool and condense, then heat into steam again. Nuclear power is only needed for spacecraft that need lots of power or are using it for propulsion, or for colonies that don't get enough sunlight for solar power (which would be few and far between).

Can confirm. Had a platoon sgt that drank something that had apricots in it and everything went to shit until he did the rain turtle dance and dispelled the curse.

Interesting. I kinda knew the Marines were special.

I know artificial habitats seem cool but they make more sense for interstellar trips. Like a colony ship traveling near the speed of light with people in stasis headed to Proxima B, for example.

As far as this solar system, it's Mars. I'm not convinced of anything other solution besides a mars colony to back-up humanity in case of a disaster.

Wasn't it kikes like you that spent the last few years ensuring that Holla Forums was astroturfed into insignificance by creating a false God out of Freemasonic hoax Trump?

Isn't there a "Gert Wilders is the most based isreali mossad agent that every user should campaign and shill for" thread you could go shill on?

The damage has been done, the entire last two years has seen every user warning against the jewish hoax Trump banned and mocked relentlessly as the jews made Holla Forums part of the aut-right hive-mind cheering on ZoG.

NASA is one huge Tax scam, with only CGI videos to show for their last 60 years work.

ok those "non terrestrial officers list" files obained through hacks are are a retard noob trap when you read it the computer sounds an alarm and realize its some fucking hacker instead of a legit user looking at files

I wish Trump would tell the party thumpers that space is the future and not Israel or the M.E.

200k people die in the USA due to Medical practice each and every year, but we have to spend trillions of dollars to protect the liberals when terrorist never bother with fly over country.

What if we launched nuclear fuel and reactors in Africa? If it blows up it wouldn't matter because they Africans would die naturally before the time it would take for cancer to show up.

You can make propellant from lunar regolith you cockgobbler. Launching from the moon costs almost no delta-v, and it can house permanent structures. The moon is a very nice candidate for a refueling station.

Producing rockets on the moon would be ideal of course, you could cheaply lift off atomic rockets (using chemical boosters) from the moon and then ride them all the way to Mars, reducing the nuclear risk to almost zero.>>9643558

Water is common enough in space to be used as propellant or feedstock for production of propellant. For example, the moon.

You could live on Venus in literally a giant balloon filled with breathable air. The air would be heavier than the dense Venusian atmosphere.

Mars is a good starter and we definitely need a permanent base there, but space habs are where it's at.

Don't forget that mass drivers on the Lunar surface would also reduce the amount of fuel/thrust a rocket would need; just lob it in the right direction out of a rail gun and then fire the rocket as needed.

And yes, we'd be using nuclear-powered rockets (whether NERVA type or Orion) in space, not in Earth's atmosphere. Launching from Earth's surface would be a desperation move only. Since an Orion uses low-yield nukes and, other than the initial launch (assuming no chemical boosters) they're all air bursts, the radioactive fallout from an Orion surface launch would be minimal. A NERVA-type engine doesn't even have radioactive exhaust, it basically just uses the reactor for power and heat; they've tested them on the ground before and had people standing around with zero protective gear quite safely. NERVA would only be a problem in atmosphere if the rocket crashed or got shot down.

Yes, it's one of the most common substances in the known universe. There IS water on the moon, but not much; the oxygen and hydrogen would have to be extracted from the lunar regolith and combined to make water, breathable air, and rocket fuel. Quite doable though, NASA has known how to do it since the 60's and determined it would be easy.

We breathe an atmosphere that is mostly nitrogen, with oxygen and other trace elements. In space, we breathe almost pure oxygen with a little helium added in. Venus' atmosphere is mostly CO2 and SO2, both of which are heavier than oxygen, nitrogen, or helium, meaning your balloon would NOT be heavier than Venus' atmosphere. You're also forgetting the massive difference in pressure; putting a balloon full of breathable air on the surface of Venus would be like taking a tin can full of air to the bottom of the ocean; it gets crushed by the pressure differential. And your balloon also needs to deal with temperatures hot enough to melt lead, molten glass for rain, and clouds of sulfuric acid. Oh, and lightning; Venus has lightning too.

So no, you're not living on Venus in a bubble, and there is no point whatsoever to ever TRYING to live on Venus.

Martians became Sumerians or enslaved the Sumerians who taught the Egyptians everything and later the Martians or Sumerians became the Altai peoples.

We have literal ayy lmaos right here.

Moon dust is extremely rich with helium 3, a great fuel source.

Great, with the right eugenics program we could reclaim earth with 9 foot tall 400lb uber soldats

1st pic is frost/ice. Stop extrapolating esoteric human ideas and things out of nature and patterns in nature.