Gotham By Gaslight

It's out.
Who forgot it was even in production? I sure did.

mega.nz/#F!CEUyiI4C!wvuoquul7j8C4NsIsETgKA
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:3001064a4988e99bc1381c38b1c4023eb82176af
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:24b6d8e592c06f3a43a10693664ef36f0b51ca81

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:297b053081a6e981d59795473e602b77344f0cd4

Apparently it's average. What a shame, after the brilliant Scooby-Doo/BatB crossover, you'd think WB Animation could make an effort more than once a year.

It's clear that nobody at WB Animation is having fun with the shit DC shoves on them. They'd rather be doing fun stuff, like the Adam West Batman cartoons or Scooby Doo cross-overs than terrible adaptations of comic books.

Problem is they took a very straight forward story to adapt…and then mess it up by adding stuff. Personally, I would've adapted Superman: Speeding Bullets or something.

More Elseworlds/one-shots and fewer/no films in continuity or from runs, like Judas was. That was ruined because we didn't have the build-up from all the prior issues of the Titans.

Also, capping the length to 40-50 minutes would help, instead of padding it with nonsense.

There's no mercy left in this world.

40-50 minutes in 1080p can perfectly fit into an HD-DVD so it would be a loss of money to put it out in Blu-Ray, plus, pretentious, pretentious something, something.

Only real positives I can give it is the fact the animation is actually somewhat fluid for once. Still stuttering to all hell but it at least felt somewhat competent. Then the other is the inclusion of street rat Robins. Thought that was kind of a cute way to include them.

Otherwise it was barely an adaptation of an otherwise alright story that ruins itself with a piss poor mystery with little to no clues to follow to even come to the conclusion on your own. Selina was completely unneeded and only there to drive home some 'girl power' shit.

7/10. Worth watching even if you read the comics, as it doesn't follow them at all. The story is a mish-mash of both Gaslight Elseworlds with a brand new conclusion.

Animation was better, as was the art, compared to their more recent efforts.
I chuckled when I saw a character that resembled the design of Alfred from The Batman.
The soundtrack was incredibly dull and unmemorable.

I'd argue it wasn't a bad mystery, but they framed it incredibly poorly. There were no prior hints of clues to the killer and he was unmasked quite unceremoniously. It was just a complete fluke that Batman ended up where he did and found the final clue, which was less a clue and more an outright written confession.

After the first 20 minutes, once I'd seen they weren't following the source, I thought they'd pull a complete bullshit manoeuvre and have the Joker as the villain, so I'll give them props for at least doing something interesting with a character that's otherwise poorly adapted in terms of placing them in new environments.
He's the exact same in every incarnation of every comic, show and movie.

Pretty much how all the DCAM have been ever since they started with the Nu52 style, when do they begin with Rebirth?

Well, they started the Nu52 films with JL: War, and it was touched on at the very end of Flashpoint Paradox.
FP was in 2012 and War was 2014, with Nu52 starting in '11.

Thus, assuming WB Animation have their thumbs up their asses, which is usually the case despite attempts to get better, we'll see Rebirth shit becoming film in 2019/20.

Honestly, they should stop making films based off comics all together and make original stories that are standalone, which is what I also recommend for their films, but they won't, so we'll soon get to experience the fun of Doomsday Clock in glorious 24fps.

>Not animated 12 part Watchmen with the original style and the movie Ozzy plan.
I say it again. No mercy.

Wait so the older she gets the more normalfag she gets?

Is a thing on perspective, she's happy on the imageboards natural habitat, the more she is separated from imageboards and pushed into normie sites the more fucked up she looks to everyone around.

Nah, I don't think you fully get it. That's our history right there. Not just Holla Forums's history but the history of imageboards in general as we see everything degrade around us. Our smiles and optimism: gone

How do you not get it?

He's a filthy fucking newfag, instead of answering shit on his existence.

But the thing about these movies is that they're too damn short. I didn't give a shit if it adapted the comic 100%, since it honestly had a pretty weak, barebones story. But with the story the movie wanted to tell, it needed to be longer than 75 mins. to flesh out the characters and set-up a more proper mystery. So, you have Batman stumbling on the true identity of Jack the Ripper, instead of genuinely coming to conclusions.

The Killing Joke was marred by the prequel both bringing down the rest of the film in the story department and taking money away from it that could otherwise have been spent on fixing up the animation quality.
This film tried to adapt two stories at once and add in their own shit. Had you removed the entire Catwoman arc and reduced all the forced cameos, you would of shaved off enough time to better show off the Ripper and reduce the running time.

The only film that needed to be the length it was, if not giving it more time, was Gods and Monsters.
What a cruel world we live in, that the most original film of all the DCA films was the least profitable.

Was it really unprofitable? Speaking personally, it's the first DC animated movie I bought in a very long time

Normies only buy what they recognize at first glance.

Looking at sales numbers the entire line has been selling pretty poorly for a while now.

DC animated movies have always been mostly shit with a few exceptions. New 52 had nothing to do with it, Stillbirth fag.

It made between $2.5m and $2.6m, making it the worst performing film.
They cost in the ballpark of $800k to $1.5m, and by the quality of the film, it'd be slightly higher.

I can't understand how it failed, though. It was the only film with a proper marketing campaign through the 3 shorts made in collaboration with Machinima.
I wish Bruce was allowed to make it into a series. It was too good for this world.

It was 6/10 or 7/10. Art and animation were better than last few films, although there is some obvious corner cutting here and there. It was nice to see Batman not being a god for once, and it's been a long time since he used impersonation and stage magician skills. It also had some fairly clever things, like the Bat Signal, and already mentioned gang of Robins. Selina was annoying at first, but her girl power shtick was toned down after the first 20 minutes. Trailer made it look much worse than it actually was.

As other have already said, mystery was mishandled, and would be far better if Batman actually put his detective skills to use for once. They clearly tried to paint a few people as suspects, but instead of investigating each one, Batman just kind of guesses where Ripper will be and tries to chase him down. Still, mystery itself was better than in the actual comic, where Ripper's identity is obvious from the first few pages.

DC should just make a decent quality animated action series with older teens/adults in mind, and put in on Adult Swim. Samurai Jack did well, and a Any Batman series in the same vein would probably do well too. Especially if they play up the TAS nostalgia, put Harley and Joker in few episodes, and get Hamil to do the voice. It could also wok with other heroes, but would be harder to pull off.

Well…
I'd like to have an animated version of Endgame. But I guess I'm the only one.

Nice

People whining about it being too edgy from the trailers and not being the Supes, Bats and Wondy that they remember. Even now you have normalfags going "REEEEE, it's not like I remember, therefore it sucks!" whenever the movie comes up. I felt sorry for Timm when it failed, it was a passion project of his from what I remember.

I'd be more interested in an adaptation of Zero Year. It was the only Snyder story that was actually about something. Though 12 issues might be too much to sponge through 90 minutes.

You know, I had some high expectations for this film. You'd think after Killing Joke and Harley Quinn, Bruce Timm would bring in the big guns for this romp. I admit there are some good ideas here: Pamela the Opium Addict, Harley the Alcoholic, Selina the Burlesque Singer, Leslie the Abbess, the Gang of Robins, all good stuff. There is a recurring motif about Gotham itself, the story felt less like the characters and more about the city and its citizens, something we don't see often. In the beginning of the film they showed the Gotham Fair, so I felt like they would mix Gotham by Gaslight with Master of the Future (a story I really like by the way). It seems like a good idea, do the Bond film approach: get all dark and mysterious and end with swashbuckling climax. There are some really good ideas and some really good scenes too, like the zeppelin fight, that was my favorite of the film.

However, much like Bruce's previous films, this one has this pacing thing that ruins everything. The more I re-watch those films, the more I get the impression they were never edited, it was just a string of scenes the writers came up on the spot and then sent to Korea. Some mentioned the film added too many unneeded scenes, but I disagree, I think the scenes themselves were fine. What I didn't like was the dialogue, they felt oddly forced and phoned in. Look at the opening of the film itself, where the fair, a major place in the story, is presented: It's just the voice actors spouting sound bytes, it just does not feel like actual conversation, there's too little people, and nobody treats it like an event. I would not be surprised if by the middle of the film, the audiences forgot completely about it. They could have presented the exposition in chunks over other scenes, but they just put everything in like 5 minutes and it just doesn't work. I think the worst offender was the zeppelin scene, and as much I as liked, it felt like the ending of the film, not the midpoint. The ending at the ferry-wheel was anti-climactic because it was just 3 people there. In MOTF the climax was AT the fair, with WITNESSES and gothamites trying to stop a fire. There also the forced muh progressive dialog:

Yes, they should. They're trying that with YJ S3, but any series after that will be put on their streaming service as well, so don't expect anything to be made for a network or premiered on one.
It's a better way of distributing media for creatives, as there's no networking rules on content, but you run the risk of losing money unless you sell it to networks, which may make executives on the show still tame the creativity with sales in mind.

Nah, the Machinima shorts were incredibly popular and all critics loved the film's new take on the characters.

One day I'll meme Timm as the co-lead at WB Animation alongside James Tuckers. The sheer amount of money Timm would make for DC and Tucker would make from everything else would be amazing for WB, and the consumers would be happy.

Not a Timm film. He's being beaten out the back after TKJ didn't do as well as hoped. Still did alright, but they were hoping for more.

All Timm did was executive produce it. That means that, at best, he supervised the production. It's the same role he filled for the Teen Titans animated series and other DC animated projects. This is what he had to say about his involvement on Titans

>western (((fanservice)))

So is it worth a buy or a torrent.

It's above average compared to the rest of the films.
I bought it after pirating, but I had shekels to spare and like physicals, plus supporting one of the major western animation studios is an alright idea.

How is it compared to Red Hood?