The Devil's Advocate

ITT: Take one game that either you or Holla Forums in general hates and show some of its redeeming points.

Let's start with one of the blatant ones - TES: Skyrim

Oblivion

Doesn't quite beat the lackluster quest lines, the poor level progression system, the combat system, stealth being obscenely overpowered while magic was extremely underpowered, and the lacking depth of alchemy, enchanting, and spellmaking systems, the tiny cities, and the reduction of weapon skills (not to speak of the missing spears), but Skyrim had its good sides, nonetheless.

Unless you look into the Dawnguard DLC. Fuck the lore rape they did with Vampires and the fucking forced Mary Sue follower

FUCK OFF

The gunplay is absolute garbage.

As is this thread.

You're going to have an aneurysm if you get pissed at every single thread you don't like, user.

Serious Sam is shit Holla Forums, even worse its boring shit.

It's only boring if you play on easy modo

Or if you play Serious Sam 2

Ignore and hide the thread man. 8/10 threads on Holla Forums require hiding.

God forbid someone steps out of the echo chamber.

Suikoden V. Good lord, just fuck this game. But I'll try.

No need to grind to get through the game. The gameplay is simple enough that you can mostly breeze through the game. You need to prepare for the final boss very little.
Also, if you die in a random battle, you can restart from that battle again an unlimited amount of times. So it is technically never possible to fuck-up too badly.

Although, since the game has been so easy and you have never a need to level up or customize, the final boss wrecks your party the first-time through since it's possible to actually die now, making you waltz through the end-game dungeon puzzle all over again instead of starting over from the boss battle

There is a lot of customization for weapons and armor. There is a shit-ton of items which you can craft to mix-and-match.

You get a god-damned castle to to rename and call your own. Never seen that one before.

There are also a ton of recruitable party members. If you ever wanted a team full of your favorite characters, it's possible.

For an expansive RPG game like Suikoden V, these are all of the good points I managed. I left out so many bad points it would seriously take the better part of an hour to come up with all of the bad design choices in that game. Please, just don't fucking play it if you value your sanity.

Could be an interesting thread, but due to 85% of Holla Forums's anons are of variety, not very likely.

Thinly veiled unpopular opinions thread?

Guess you could call that.

Also, if we're already at it, here's the mandatory post for Gone Home:

You don't have to play it for more than five minutes

Though some of these positives can be attributed to Itsuno and Capcom's devs coming in to help develop.

BioShock infinite.

Good story unless you're American, take religion seriously or /pol. It was written by a Canadian iirc.

Colombia is kinda what /pol would call a utopia.

Had nice draw distance for a Pii Pu game
The mechs look neat

That's about all I can think of.

Every unpopular opinion thread ever. Just a warning. Why not demonstrably lame game you have to defend in the last paragraph?

>Even if the people actively say that the games are shit.

What is with this mentality?

Not everyone who disagrees with Holla Forums is reddit.

Bioshock infinite might just be the worst game I have ever played. It's so fucking terrible on every single front it almost gives me an aneurism everytime I try to think about it.

There's literally nothing to defend on this shit.

You haven't seen those threads user.

It's literally /r/gaming

Problems with thinking? No. What I said is they are lured in by this thread especially when OP has adds the caveat

There are more than enough genuinely shit or cheaply made games you can defend without stroking Plebbit's wiener. Modern AAA garbage is hardly among these titles.

You need to keep in mind that Holla Forums and subsequently our Holla Forumsack neighbours enjoy the hugbox of homogeneous opinion and will shoo off anyone with differing opinions.

but I like portal 2

You could still argue that it has neat world design with the various flying city blocks, and the thing with the rails system hasn't been done before.

The AI for Elizabeth may or may not be noteworthy.

But other than that it's inferior to Bioshock in virtually every conceivable way.

Come fucking on. Also, what part about "Devils Advocat" did you not fucking understand. If you actually had any reading comprehension, you would notice that no-one in the thread said that the games overall were good, just that may or may not have had likeable elements.

Seriously, user bitches and moans about Tumblr and it being an echo chamber and then does the precisely same fucking thing with a marginalyl different set of opinions. Do you perhaps need a trigger warning on the OP post?

user, there's a difference between liking something and claiming it's the greatest thing since portorican prostitutes.

Back to the plantation, sambo

The art direction was acceptable, but that has almost no weight whatsoever in the game. The areas you visit are dead as fuck, the textures are really low quality, and it tries to shove light shafts down your throat not to make you notice it.

Up close the game is absolutely disgusting, and pretty much all the areas you go through all look exactly the same, which in the end makes the art direction pretty mediocre since they couldn't even think of ways to change shit up.

HE
makes unpopular opinion threads because it's the only place where his shit taste will ever be accepted

Tumblr is not a very good example, because its a echo chamber thanks to its design not thanks its oldfags. I warned about both sides. I fucking warned you!

I liked too but it is worse than the first one and the writing they came up with is really bad when Wheathley is around. Then there is a huge problem that they couldn't make something new like they wanted, because they have called it Portal 2 and the test audience didn't like it.

fuck off

I honestly liked it more than portal. The pacing is better, the characters are funny and interesting and they fit the theme of the game incredibly well

They did add a lot of new shit too, just not stuff that people didn't like.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Your point being? Morrowind was 60% Ashlands with beautiful colors such as grey, grey, grey, and the occasional hue of brown.

Let me direct you to your true home. >>>/reddit/

Why would you even bring up your opinion abot something if it isn't even the main focus of the thread? It's like talking about sjws when everyone else's talking about ice cream. You're not posting your posting your opinion in this thread to have a voice, if you really wanted that you could post that opinion when there is a thread that focuses on that argument, instead you're jerking off your dick posting in this thread to say "oh i'm so different from the hivemind" which you never even interacted with because you need this thread.

tl;dr this thread is a hugbox full of bait.

fuck me.

Still one of my favorite games.

U wot

Looks nice, one can have a lot of FUN despite everything

It is Devil's Advocate, because everyone else hates it. I also know it is very flawed, but still enjoy it. I'd say it still counts.

woah, it's almost like morrowind took place on a volcanic island

Seriously /v opinion on games is not only shit but it's irrelevant.

You're an individual that can make up your own mind. Enjoy what you want to enjoy, play what you want to play.

Interacting with the hive mind is pointless. We don't go to gamergate anymore.

This thread is trash, most of the summer posts in Holla Forums are, but this is still pretty low as far as quality goes.

Why's everyone in this thread so mad?
The whole point of being a devil's advocate is that you don't actually support the thing you're defending, you're just doing it as a thought exercise. Jeez, Holla Forums, don't be so childish.

LA Noire isn't really "hated" around here, as far as I can tell, but I'm gonna talk about it anyway.

There was a lot this game did wrong. But on the other hand, the presentation is so great that you almost forget you're playing a mediocre GTA/mystery game.
All of the shit they did wrong was easily stuff they could have fixed with a sequel or something, but no, Rockstar doesn't give a shit about experimenting anymore.

Even despite the linearity, it was still fun sifting through crime scenes looking for just the right thing, and interrogating people was fun, it was just all… flawed.

Why don't you become a devil's advocate of that game when it's called in cause instead of coming in this thread to tell everyone how "different" you are.
For example why don't you talk about LA Noire in an LA Noire thread? That's a place where people surely are gonna talk about that and you're sure you're gonna talk about LA Noire.
Now what is this thread for? It's about opinions that stand out of the common knowledge, isn't it? If so what is the purpose of this thread if not standing out, gaining attention? This is why baiting is easy in these kinds of threads.
If your definition of childish is rejecting just the bare attention whoring then a child is more mature than the adult, as he always seeks attention to himself.

God forbid I actually try and post on topic, right?

I have no idea what r/gaming is like, because I don't go to Reddit, because I'm not a faggot. Why do you know so much about it?

Yes you are posting on topic, with the only off-topic thing being LA Noire.

That's nice, user.

If you re gonna get salty why don't you stay out of threads you don't like?

Because I'm not salty, I'm just stating the truth, aren't I? This thread was made for unpopular opinions, not for games. Am I wrong?

He can't be that salty if he keeps bumping the thread.

Overwatch

It says it's about games right in the first sentence in the OP, don't try to play smart nigger, you re the only attention whore here

The story is ok and Sans' fight is good.

as much as i hate new Dante the VA did a convincing job
he actually wanted to play the original games to research his part but Tam said no.

that's a fair point but honestly I would rather play DMC2 at least it has the Majin Devil Trigger.

OP doesn't say it's about games, he says it's about the redeeming points of a game. This means that people who come into this thread don't really come for the game itself, but for the opinion of someone about x, so basically it doesn't matter what game you're talking about, but only your adversity to Holla Forums.
For example if I made a controversial post about Mount & Blade in a Mount & Blade thread I would get a lot more replies than I do in this thread, while if I did here I'd get none.
I only replied to

That sure is one faulty assumption you're working under.
You're not even worth the effort of arguing with. Go jerk off somewhere else.

That's the majority opinion, though.

This is actually explained by how Cole was in the marines. He survived a huge massacre of his dudes that lasted overnight and so forth. So he's not your 'average cop'

The art directions was great.

Burial At Sea was better than the main story imo. I especially liked the change of pace in Part 2.

I remember that, but it didn't feel like enough of an explanation to justify the gameplay. He's as strong as your typical vidya protagonist, which basically makes him superhuman. He was in the military, so that means he can gun down literally hundreds of goons and eat bullets for breakfast.
I wouldn't have minded getting taken out in a shot or two, honestly.

quake is an abortion of a game that killed a genre

morrowind is a shit rng fest with horrific graphics only enjoyed by the most desperate neckbeards who had nothing else to play because their mom wouldnt buy them a super nintendo so they had to get games for their dads work pc

you're favorite game
pros: Makes it easy to tell who is mr.gay

Cons: Literally everything else

This thread is devil's advocate, not bait.

I like Doom too but pls

Undertale had a rather interesting combat system, unlike most turn-based games it attempts to rely on skill rather than luck or grinding.

Let's play double's advocate.

Looks like it's all gone full circle, and now it's the autistic Holla Forumsirgins that are getting uncontrollably and unceasingly triggered.

It's coming from dumbasses who've never heard of "Devil's Advocate" before.

Self aware. Good - if unrealized - setting. It's self aware in that it doesn't try too hard to get you to like the characters. It would be a pointless endeavor because they know that the type of game they've made cannot be long. The setting invokes themes of distant nostalgia. The world is genuinely beautiful, and the art style is used as well as it possibly can be. The camera and end credits, but I'm a photographer, so I'm obviously biased here. It doesn't try to explain everything that's going on; it leaves a lot for you to mull over to figure out. The music was well placed and very subtle for a game of this type. Reminds me of the type of music a pretentious but good indie surreal drama filmmaker might use. It wasn't episodic.
Personally, I agree with the ending. I think it would have been worse if they had gone sappy, saccharine, or other odd flavor. Anti-climactic fit the self aware theme, and I'm greatly relieved that there was no big subjective moral message at the end, like a shit sat atop a wedding cake, topped with your millennial sibling's music listening habits. It was simply a fun little story in a fun little world. Unlike:

Oh god.
Almost literally everything I have to say about this is subjective. Let me draw a few parallels to above instead:
The photographic theme was well used, but little more than a theme, which was wasted potential. Episode 3 is perhaps the best story sequence in any game ever, even though everything after it was obviously slashed together at the last moment, and it didn't really go anywhere.
The game was smart enough to almost eschew puzzles entirely. This was a good thing, because the game is little more than an interactive storybook, with all the depth. The choice to remove failure scenarios was a smart one, and it actually worked in its benefit, fitting the theme of the game being an interactive movie.
It managed to display a pretentious hipster theme in the most pretentious setting imaginable while not being a fundamentally pretentious game.
It doesn't push feminist propaganda. They even make fun of it via a secret, but don't let that fool you. It's still normalfag-tier on the redpill scale.
I guess the choice of music was fitting. I also approve of Foals being in anything.
You can only go full girl kisser during the end scene, and not during the duration of the game

A (slightly) unique take on an old genre. A genuinely good game, if flawed in numerous ways.

They set up that these characters will never be raped by a shit game again. Bravo.

You can beat the game in 47 seconds.

This encapsulates all the walking simulators I've played. I kinda like the genre, and I like even more that it's not flooding the market with easy to make games with shitty stories like anons were expecting.

Suikoden V has a fuckton of missable party members, however, and it's not a game for the paranoid if you're playing without any guide whatsoever.

case in point, That Edgar guy who freaks the fuck out at the mention of the Godwins is literally at the end of a cave and you'll miss him (or have to GO ALL THE WAY BACK THROUGH THE CAVE) if you press X to skip anything he says.

The requisite Narcissist rose character is in a particular town that you have to go back to so if you don't make a habit of re-checking the town again, you'll lose her.

There's also a fuckin' turtle that requires you to have an old party member (as in age) at a certain level before he joins you at the end of a dungeon you don't have to go to

Shit like that.

It's still pretty good in my opinion, for the same reasons you posted.

3's better and 2's the best, but Suikoden 5 is basically 2 with Suikoden 3's bitchin' skill system and way more customization for battles.

Overall good series.

These threads are just excuses to welcome people with bad taste and have historically been created by goons for that purpose.

jews are the only ones fit to rule the earth because they are the smartest

That movie was trash and did not do the book justice. Also, whoever's idea it was to add hip hop in a story set during prohibition needs to shoot himself immediately. Polite dubs for checking.

on disk dlc is a good thing because it saves bandwidth

consoles saved the dying fps genre by introducing a more skilled and thoughtful control scheme

supporting kickstarter games secures the future of gaming

bumping shit threads will promote healthy video game discussion

apologizing to Other M won't make a good game, faggot

at least Anthony Higgs will be Metroid Prime NX since Floporation Force references Other M, so you don't have to cry he was in a shit Metroid game.

my bad, forgot sage

FIX YOUR SHIT CUCKMONKEY

it started off great and then the alternate reality stuff started happening and it went straight into the shitter.

A lot of the old-style trolls baited with devil's advocate-type stuff.