SHMUP General

WARNING
A HUGE SHMUP GENERAL IS APPROACHING FAST

Unpopular games don't get torrents Edition

What's New?
MECHA Ritz: Steel Rondo slated for Steam release on June 10th for $6.99
twitter.com/HanajiGames/status/740227403109130242
If you haven't played MECHA Ritz yet, then go do so right now and get the original for free at: freem.ne.jp/dl/win/8513
It's pretty great and has a well-executed rank mechanic which doesn't inevitably go higher like Battle Garegga, and allows for more rank control. Steel Rondo is a remake with more content and refined mechanics, so you can consider the original freeware version the demo. I believe you can also buy a physical version from HEY's website, though I haven't looked into that.

RefRain - prism memories got released on Steam:
store.steampowered.com/app/435970/

DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu port slated for release somewhere after summer this year

Cat Girl Without Salad is NOT an April Fool's Joke, you can get it exclusively only in the monthly Humble Bundle. humblebundle.com/monthly/p/june_2016_monthly
It's a euroSHMUP made by WayForward, and in traditional euroSHMUP fashion, traditional arcade gameplay is too simplistic, so clearly it had to be fused with elements of other genres because why not. The soundtrack is composed by virt and I want to fuck that cat, so whatever

Legacy of the Elder Star just got released: store.steampowered.com//app/443250
Unlike most euroSHMUPs, this one actually looks good. What's interesting about it is that it's entirely mouse-driven, there's actually some thought put into scoring unlike most euroSHMUPs, and a demo is supposedly on its way.

Some new updates got released for Hurricane of Varstray, the Hudson-style SHMUP with the Coldsteel girls, which balance the game out a whole lot better so it feels less boring, try it out or play it again if you haven't already: store.steampowered.com/app/416380/?snr=1_5_9__300

Where do I start?
Download Shmupmame from: shmupmame.wordpress.com/download/
Then go to emuparadise.me or your other favourite ROM collection site, and download whatever games you want to try out, and dump that shit in the rom folder in wherever you extracted Shmupmame. Some games need parent ROMs and BIOS ROMs before they can be played, and they are usually linked to in the games you want to play. Post-PGM CAVE games and Raiden 1, 2 and DX do not work on Shmupmame because the emulation isn't perfect, so if you really want to play them in MAME, you should get a mainline MAME release and try it out there.

Some good starter games are Cho Ren Sha 68K which you can get at www2.tky.3web.ne.jp/~yosshin/my_works/CH050820.ZIP (remember to play it in Win98 compatibility mode to avoid music stuttering), Batsugun for the Saturn or MAME, Dodonpachi, the Gradius Collection for the PSP, PC ports like Crimzon Clover, Deathsmiles and Mushihimesama which provide Novice modes, and Touhou too, I guess.

How do I get good?
You don't get good at arcade games without practice. Either limit your continues for each run or play with savestates. Try to place your own limits on the bombs you use during early stages, and set goals for score. Learn the mechanics so you can understand the game and get better (Hardcoregaming 101 is a good source of information for most SHMUPs). And watch a 1cc replay to see how other players do it, so you can learn a thing or two as well.

Post some stories of your journey towards the fabled 1cc, talk about scoring strategies, post impressive feats of skill, upcoming Degica DRM Steam ports, or post cool SHMUP music.

Other urls found in this thread:

theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/tomak-save-the-earth-again/
en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Legacy_of_Lunatic_Kingdom#English_patches
store.steampowered.com/app/463070/
mega.nz/#!AY4xUCiA!gSCy3ka2-4G12SLqqfq5MN1OZJkEgc9HDou6i9mUeOk
mameui.info/
archive.org/download/MESS-0.149.BIOS.ROMs/MESS-0.149.BIOS.ROMs.zip/MESS 0.149 ROMs/snes.zip
ia800201.us.archive.org/zipview.php?zip=/7/items/No-Intro-Collection_2016-01-03_Fixed/Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System.zip
mega.nz/#!mlwG3ZCJ!NMdWxNY4pjqc1vFGwzyPIbtGor0GHObcfENNMgOQW1s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

OK, so, time for some western shmups too.
Let's start with a classic OST for a classic shmup!

And one more recent OST.

And a freaking fan short that came out of nowhere about R-Type!

Posting best ship.

Posting best WMD.

stand back, casaul

Just a reminder, I dropped Cat Girl on the Share Thread a few days ago so you don't have to give shekels to Humble Bundle.

Get it before I get dicked by MEGA.

Im still not good enough to 1cc donbachi or raiden 2. Any more reccomendations for good shmups?

the Tale of ALLTYNEX trilogy is pretty solid overall, each game has a different playstyle and are easier to 1cc compared to most arcade SHMUPs

So there's no plans to actually release the catgirl thing elsewhere?

Not as far as I know, WayForward will probably post more info about it next month after they're done counting their Humble Bundle shekels

try the Hong Kong version of Donpachi it's easier

Im not a fucking casual.

Anyone know where I can fin this game? I've wanted to play it for years.

Is this what you're looking for?
theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/tomak-save-the-earth-again/

Is this any good? I've been listening to the soundtrack and it's fairly decent for modern Cave, and as this is not currently playable on MAME I might look into this. Anyone who's played this can attest to the quality?

I thought it was okay, there's a bigger focus on bullet canceling with hypers which you have to take in account for your scoring routes, though I can't say for sure if you're guaranteed to like it. The midbosses are all from DoDonPachi while all stage bosses are transforming huge mecha girls. The moe factor is somewhere inbetween DOJ and SDOJ. The stages themselves are well designed. There's a fuckton of slowdown though with all the massive bullet canceling going on, and I'll bet it'll be emulated (poorly) in the PC port too.
It's pretty good

BUMPER

What's your excuse, Holla Forums?

DARIUSBURST.Chronicle.Saviours-RELOADED.tar

give

DLCs never

well shit

I played a cabinet of Darius Burst over at my local Round 1. Amazing game. Fucking loud as shit.

too bad PC's can't emulate the massive rumbling of the cabinet when a boss is approaching fast

I figured it'd be a Paul """""Otaking""""" Johnson joint the moment I saw the thumbnail.

more like humpable bundle
i wanna fuck the hell out of her

Also is the flickering in Cho Ren Sha 68K something that only happens with laptops? Because everyone else says it only happens on their laptops while they can play the game without any problems on their desktop.

I was considering picking up Otomedius Excellent for my 360, considering that the limited edition version is only about $32USD. Is it any fun? Is it a good shmup or a shameless moe-mup cash-grab?

plz respond

Thank you, that's it. I hope this is the patched version.
FYI the other Tomak game, Tomak: Save the Earth~Love Story, is a head dating sim.

The only thing I remember of Otemedius is the cringe-worthy e3 presentation.

Forgot link

whoa nelly

Wew, that almost hurt to watch.

The gameplay for it i've seen LOOKS pretty all right. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet on this one and give it a go

lemme help you out

Yeah I've seen the slowdown in the Mooshy port, is it really that bad?

I don't mind more shit, so I guess I'll give it a shot

Is there an English patch for LoLK yet?

en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Legacy_of_Lunatic_Kingdom#English_patches
There's one using thcrap, but I remember hearing some negative stuff about it.

Cool, I'll check it out

store.steampowered.com/app/463070/
MECHA Ritz: Steel Rondo has been released for 7 euros

The original was already great, I'm going to try this one out right now

It's pretty average. The more interesting characters–and subsequently, the special shots that come with them–are locked behind a paywall, though.

those bun buns are gonna hurt their wee wiggly feelers putting them on no-no touch owie part of the tinny ;_;

I thought the can said "RAPE" at first.

What the fuck kind of purpose did that bottle serve?

Elder-Rape

There was a shmup game on the SNES, but I forgot its name.
The first level was top-down and vertical, and you're fighting a big airship in the sky. There were power-ups that you can get that you can upgrade by repeatedly getting the same power-up.
That's all I know.

that's pretty much every SHMUP made in the 90's

It's alcohol, I don't remember why the original person said it as named that. I do remember him having USB problems though.

Super Aleste / Space Megaforce, it sounds like.

But yeah, that describes pretty much every shooter in the '90s.

Good thread. I was just struggling with level 3 of super R type right now.

For future OPs, please include this link:

mega.nz/#!AY4xUCiA!gSCy3ka2-4G12SLqqfq5MN1OZJkEgc9HDou6i9mUeOk
It's a reupload of SPC's SHMUP pack. It has shmupmame with plenty of roms packed in.
All the roms are pictured.

In the future, I wouldn't mind making a pack for home console emulators and shmups. So we can include a lot of the good NES/SNES era gems.

What if I told you it could get worse

I just beat Ninja Gaiden 1 on NES without savestates or cheats
fuckin fite me m8

Well I don't mind the challenge. The only annoying thing about this game is how it keeps sending you back to the beginning. It's retarded because it doesn't let you learn the boss patterns, but thankfully I managed to completely blow out the first two bosses with well timed, full charge attacks.

Wait a second
What sorcery is this? How can I change snes9x's clock speed? The game was running without any slowdown!

It's exclusive to MAME right now and yeah it's about as nice as it sounds, problem is it breaks everything on real hardware so many people assumed it would do the same in emulators, turns out it doesn't seem to break anything most of the time.

If my memory is correct just enable cheating for that game in MAME (yeah I know it looks bad but trust me) and it should enable you to change the frequency of any chip that is being emulated in MAME's ingame menu, you want to change only the Main CPU or else you break stuff.

Also friendly advice, don't play Gradius 3 with that if you value your sanity.

Wait, mame can play snes games? This is news to me. then again, MAME's interface always confused the hell out of me.

Alright, would you know anything about where to find this MAME cheat?

Well for some time MAME was reserved for arcade games and MESS was intended to cover everything else, they merged the two recently so now MAME can do a bunch of consoles generally not as well as otehr standalone emulators but by design it allows for a few neat tweaks, including changing the frequency of emulated chips on the fly.

Well if you use MAMEUI it's just a right click > properties > miscellaneous and enable cheats on the system you want to emulate but I don't remember how you get MAMEUI to load SNES roms.

On second thought just gonna make a quick tutorial on how to do that since it's not that easy.

First get MAMEUI
mameui.info/

Second get the SNES BIOS and drop it into the roms folder of MAMEUI.
archive.org/download/MESS-0.149.BIOS.ROMs/MESS-0.149.BIOS.ROMs.zip/MESS 0.149 ROMs/snes.zip

Now in MAMEUI find "Super Nintendo Entertainment System / Super Famicom (NTSC)" in the list and right-click > properties > miscellaneous > enable cheats and whatever other options you might wanna check.

Now doubleclick on that entry to start it and you should get a screen that tells you the emulation isn't perfect (don't worry it's about as good as Snes9x for the most part their standards are just very high) and another with the system specs of whatever you're emulating (in that case the SNES)

Then you have to "insert a cart", to do that just doubleclick the line and browse your computer for a valid .sfc/.smc
ia800201.us.archive.org/zipview.php?zip=/7/items/No-Intro-Collection_2016-01-03_Fixed/Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System.zip

Then you click reset and the game should start, after that just go into slider controls and change the Main CPU frequency to 200% after the game has reached the tittle screen as doing it before that can cause breakage (Alt-Gr + arrow keys if you don't want it to take forever)

You might get sprite and palette errors if you fiddle around with the frequency too much.

Why aren't you posting the updated version though?

mega.nz/#!mlwG3ZCJ!NMdWxNY4pjqc1vFGwzyPIbtGor0GHObcfENNMgOQW1s
Picture related.

In the future I strongly urge you to ignore this fag and any others like them, OP. Go get your own ROMs you lazy faggots. Emuparadise, Planetemu, Pleasuredome, etc. are just a few clicks away.

I hope they get it up on another digital store soon (not including SJWBundle).

That sounds fantastic actually. Creating/finding a ROMhack of the SNES version with the slowdown removed has always been a dream of mine.

Few people that know better than me say it makes the arcade version look easy, I'm sure there are people who can handle it but I can't.

I'd advise to avoid them, not because of viruses but mostly because they do not really pay attention to what they upload meaning broken / outdated ROMs, and there's no real reason to deal with that kind of bullshit when full sets are somewhat accessible.

Are you sure enabling cheats is really all there is to this? Try as I might I can't actually make the CPU under Slider Controls change.

I can't say I have ever had that experience with them, but then I only get my MAME ROMsets from planetemu.

Yeah you need to make sure you have enabled cheat for the specific machine or it won't work, should be the 4th option in the slider controls menu.

Oh I sincerely doubt it's any harder than the arcade version, and keep in mind that has a ton of slowdown of its own. The slowdown in the arcade version at least has a sort of transition that makes it tolerable as long as you're careful around walls though. The SNES game is just molasses all around.

Doesn't do dick, maybe my MAME/MESS builds are just too old? I'm running 0.160 for both (I like to stay in sync with MAMEHub's current version but it's gotten pretty behind lately).

Should work, but maybe it's under a different menu or something, only thing I'm 100% sure is that you need to enable cheats for it to work, maybe try the same on some random arcade game first to be sure.

Yeah I've tried it on a number of arcade and SNES games now. I don't get it.

OK, this is just out…

When will indie fucks stop doing this?

What are some fun PC SHMUPs with cute girls that's not 2hu or eXceed?

Wish Project
:^)

stop shilling that outdated, hacky piece of shit

There's RefRain Prism Memories, I suppose

Good one fam.

Thanks jewgle.

This is why anti virus software is snake oil.

More? More.

And just one more.

Does anyone know any good Dreamcast shmups?

Anyone remember that one video Kotaku made of Otomedius? ChipCheezum made a video making fun of it, but I heard that guy is kind of a fag-, so I'm not sure I should post that video.

Modern or classics?

Both would be good to know

That's nitpicking, but I understand. Some art style decisions can really hit the wrong buttons on some people.

Thanks user. I'm going to give this a shot. Here's hoping.

The one I posted is made by a then-16 year old autist known on halch forums as "SHMUP Pack Creator" around 2010-2011. The one the I posted was the latest version he made and released to his first forum, Afterparty Forums.

I didn't know he made a new one, because it didn't take long for him to disappear. He actually vehemently hated newer versions of shmupmame because he was such an angry autist. However, that was years ago and I don't know what the fuck that kid is up to.

Well, I mean, it LOOKS okay, but a lot of it rubs me the wrong way. The best of most popular SHMUPs is the art direction and sound effects - a perfect example is Ketsui. It had a great OST and great sound effects, playing a satisfying 'pling' whenever you picked up a chip. This made racking up chips lots of fun. Or if you play a few minutes of super R-Type, again, great BGM and satisfying sounde effect when you destroy an enemy.
This game has this incessant, grindy insect noise in the background. The background looks like ass, the game looks like ass, there was no reason for the announcer to sound the way he does.

But that's the way the author wanted to take his game and I respect that. It just isn't a game for me.

Nigga that game hits ALL the wrong buttons with it's shitty art style. That's a feat

A japanese indie game called Samidare, and also Cho Ren Sha which is in the OP.

Neat I'll check them out.

Do arcade shmups share a generic control scheme? What would be shot, auto, bomb, etc be for a layout like

ABC
DEF

Most always game dependant. PC shmups usually use keys Z,X,C though.

Yoko:
Border Down

TATE:
Trizeal
Radirgy
Giga Wing 2
Castle Shikigami 2
Triggerheart Exelica

Multi-directional:
Bangai-O
Cannon Spike

That's because he didn't make the new one, someone else did. They used his pack and then added a bunch of ROMs to it and also switched to the latest edition of Shmupmame.

Holy shit, followed your guide and this works a treat. Perfect. Thank you!

go play mars matrix

freetard please go

Wow, MAMEUI sure takes fucking forever to load up again. This was a problem back around 0.14x/0.15x but they finally fixed it around 0.160. Shame to see they've regressed to running like a useless piece of shit again as of 0.174. I guess I'm sticking to command line instances after all.

I did figure out what was wrong with that CPU overclocking slider control though. It just takes a really long time to slide over for some reason, such that it didn't seem like I could move it at all before.

Well, in the guide the other guy posted, pressing alt + arrow made mine jump straight to 200%. But yes it takes forever. Put a weight on your keyboard and go get something to eat

Usually the first button is for shot, second button is for bombs, third button is for either autofire or something else which depends on the game
Some games have a control scheme where you need to tap the shot button repeatedly for a spreadshot and hold it for a laser shot

I guess a ROMhack is truly the only solution.

On the plus side it does kill the slowdown on the arcade version at least.

Just play the arcade game. The SNES port is missing levels and stuff.

Yeah Gradius 3 is just that heavy, OC does reduce the slowdown though.

You would probably be better off modifying an existing emulator and fill it with hacks to remove all bottlenecks with that game in particular, maybe just allowing MAME to go over 200% OC would do the trick.

The SNES is missing on some things but improved in others. I consider it the better game but I just wish it didn't have such crippling slowdown.