NINJA FUCKING GAIDEN

just
THIS GAME
THIS FUCKING GAME MAN
I bust my ass, do a near clean perfect run of the last level and get up to this boss here. it's my first time fighting him so he slaps my shit

THEN THE GAME SENDS ME RIGHT BACK TO THE BEGINNING OF THE ACT
GOTTA GO THROUGH ALL THREE LEVELS AGAIN SON
GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE COME BACK WHEN YOU GOT IT DOWN PERFECTLY YOU LITTLE FAGGOT

LORD HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T WORK OUT THE ENTIRE BOSS PATTERN AFTER ONLY A BRIEF ENCOUNTER
AND ONCE YOU BEAT THIS GUY THERE ARE APPARENTLY TWO MORE FORMS
FUCK

hold me

Other urls found in this thread:

movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=620346
hardcoregaming101.net/ninjagaiden/ninjagaiden12.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

obtain proficiency, young grasshopper

it's like everyone looked up this song on YouTube once they got to 4-2, it's that good

I hated those goddamned diving hawks in that game so much.

The game isn't that hard, but holy shit fuck the final boss. He broke my spirit like a small dog.

Fuck. I'm playing the SNES version and after listening to this you can definitely tell the NES version has superior sound.

Yeah, the game isn't that difficult at all. Every level in acts 5 and 6 are designed a bit like a puzzle that's designed to catch the player from rushing or being too cautious. It's a great middle-ground they've found and I love it.

My problem is once you get to the boss, the game sends your ass back to the beginning of the act. Total bullshit.

git gud

apparently birds were created by Satan

Stop playing the censored SNES port

That was a bug. The devs fucked up and since there was no such thing as a day 1 patch back then they just left it in and said "it's not a bug it's a feature, get gud noobs" But fortunately we live in the current year and we can just save state in our nintendo emulators to circumvent the bad game design and poor quality assurance testing skills of the original creators.

I had to google it to find this
movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=620346

never fuckin knew. well, I was playing this version because I already had it downloaded from ages ago, but the NES version looks and sounds better to be honest. whatever.

Wait 'till you faggots play the second room of 6-2.

I'm a snobby asshole who hates using savestates unless it's absolutely necessary was it actually a bug? do you have a source on that?

wow…just…wow no words here

Best game I will never play again.

Like an ass, I cheated by relying on the brokeness of the spinning slash.

BTW, you don't have to fight all three bosses all at once. If you're defeated in one, you can continue at the one you were defeated by as soon as you arrive back.

Birds: The dicks of the animal kingdom.

I beat all three back to back in one night with nothing but coke cola, pretzels and passion.
I was 11, I miss those days.

Dark Soul 3 didn't do shit for me.

Funny how both the NES 3 and the current gen 3 are the shit games in their respective trilogies.

HG101 interview with Runmal in their Ninja Gaiden article

I have a love hate relationship with HG101 revamping their articles.

On one hand, they clear out a lot of autism in the original postings. On the other, they sort of… sanitize some articles.

I really should come up with an example though. It's been a while since I've visited.

HG101 are essentially hipsters. They write about obscure games purely because they're obscure, and what they write about them is about as meaningful as an IGN review. It's annoying when you finally find something to read about that obscure game that no one ever seems to talk about, only for it to be a surface-level overview that does little more than acknowledge the game's existence. You might as well just read a Wikipedia article on the game(if one exists.)

Didn't HG101 go to the dogs recently?

They started making articles for retrofagging indies and Christine Love VNs. Also, Kurt Kalata is probably a nuMale.

Oh that confirms it. Thanks.
For anyone interested, this is the interview:
hardcoregaming101.net/ninjagaiden/ninjagaiden12.htm
He confirms that restarting level 6 was an accidental implementation that was left in on purpose in the end.

Except now they're writing shit like Gone Home reviews (where they likened all the criticism to people who don't like walking simulators). HG101 a shit

Any alternatives, user?

Alternative sites that write about retro/slightly obscure vidya? Well I don't know of any website with as large a scope as HG101, but I DO know that it's not the only site for obscure vidya.

While googling around, I've found plenty of smaller sites written by guys who genuinely appreciate games. Nearly every little niche has a following online so you will find something if you keep googling.

Otherwise, just feel free to ignore all their newer articles and just read whatever interests you. They're not really full blown SJWs (at least not from what I've seen) and being tolerant of people who are different is what separates sentient humans from screaming reactionaries.

Anyway I'm about fucking done trying to play NG on the SNES port. I've had a sneaking suspicion about this for a while, but now I've more or less confirmed it - the game is a bit sloppy on inputs, especially when pressing the sword button right after jumping. It's fine mostly, but when it fucks up, it fucks you up hard.

So here we fucking go, to re-run the entire game all over on a different emulator

Good luck user. I very much prefer the NES version.

Haha, no luck necessary, I should be back to level 6 within twenty minutes. NG is one of those games that really pushes you to master it.

That's what I love about old NES games. You can drop it, go to sleep frustrated, wake up, and get back to where you were and ace what you were having trouble with.

Also
Basaquer = Berserker
Keroberos = Cerberus
Bloody Malth = Bloody Mars

If you like CRPGs, try RPG Codex. If not, I'm afraid you're stuck with Holla Forums

I didnt even think of that.

Whenever you watch someone play this game, they fly right through at a breakneck pace, making shit look easy, but when I play it's slow and ungraceful. How do I unlock my inner ninja?

git gud

Ahem. Anyone who puts in at least a half hour a day on a game is bound to get better and faster at said game the more they play.

When I got curious again a couple of weeks ago and looked it up I discovered that. Why the hell did they obscure his name so much? It surely couldn't have been to un-Japanese-ify it since it's a game about a very Japanese ninja as the MC and there is Japanese imagery and lettering all over the place including the title on the box.

My guess is that they just wanted to give his name an exotic flair. Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 are surprisingly well translated for an early NES game.

I love AVGN (well, the earlier stuff, episodes got dodgy in quality when the movie was in production, but the really new stuff is pretty good) but you can tell James is not especially great at games. I think seeing someone who's bad at games try and persevere and not give up in a hard game is a great thing.

That's something I like about Game Center CX.

That is very true. I like seeing James persevere at hard games, but the heartwarming feeling of watching someone struggle against hard games and not give up is so great in GCCX. It's inspirational.

I was the same as you. NG is a game that demands two things - knowing the controls and knowing the level. Both come naturally with experience and not giving in.

I remember the days where the 3-2 and 5-3 gave me serious trouble. But now I can breeze through them.
Similarly, when I had just reached 6-2 yesterday, I had a lot of trouble getting through it. Through experience, I can pass it with a reasonable success rate.

It is partially "artificial difficulty" in that you need to know the level very well. But it is also very much dependant on how well you can move Ryu, how good you are at predicting danger, how well you can anticipate enemy hitboxes and so on.

I suggest playing it for fun at first, then playing it for a challenge when you get to a point you cannot pass.

Yeah. That was a good episode, but you can tell he sucks, especially when he complains about not being able to get past the axe throwing guy in 6-2. By that point, the game demands you abuse the scrolling mechanics (since the game abuses it against you also).

And fuck yeah GCCX is the shit.

I should really play through the Ninja Gaiden trilogy. I've been on a NES kick lately and NG is that one series I never really got very good at.

It's really fun. Just pick it up and start playing. If you get rekt too hard, take a break. If you can't pass a level, look it up on youtube (but leave that as an absolute last resort). I didn't want to go to youtube right away so I downloaded 1989 editions of nintendo power for the hints and keks and it was alright

Nintendo Power is great. I found an archive of all the issues (pdfs of all the pages) and have been reading through them. It's very comfy.

They're cool to read, but in terms of advice you could be doing a lot better. For example, NG is covered over two seperate issues, and neither issue covers the last act (act 6) and the issue after only briefly mentions it in a counselor corner answer.

Link?

how to beat NG1 in 3 steps
1. Die like a bitch to jew wizard
2. Come back to 6-4 and pick up spinslash
3. win

try retromags

yeah, I saw a guy wreck the first boss with spinslash so I've tried to take it into the boss fight with me.
unfortunately this requires
1 - avoiding all other weapon powers while still finding energy for your weapon as you will need it to kill birds and
2 - never dying from the moment you start 6-3

Yes, it's retromags. You'll need to make a free account but they have every single issue

I ve been trying to beat NG 1 for as long as i can remember, i managed to beat 2 and i suck at 3.

I think i came to fight the last boss in 1 once but i died and on recent (as in once very year or so) playthrough i couldn't even get past the last stage

Any love for the PCE version?

This manga was god tier user, 10/10 taste, i wish normalfags weren't flooding 8chin, do you hang out in other places? sage for unrelated

I FUCKING DID IT LADS
I FUCKING DID IT
BEAT THE FIRST FORM, RESTARTED THE LEVEL
BEAT THE SECOND FORM THE WENT ON TO BEAT THE THIRD

FUCKING YEEEESSSS

The trick is to take the spin slash. It shreds the first two forms. Completely rekt the second form wit the spin slash.

Well done.

I knew it all this time, btw i think it behaves differently in the PCE version i think bosses only take 1 hit from it.

You don't need to use the spin slash, there's also a bug where you hold down on the d-pad and jump and press attack and you can attack much faster than usual.

But I got to the thread late and couldn't tell you this.

Still, congratulations!

I used that against the third form. Makes short work of him. I think you're supposed to fuck around with it a little more involved than that.

-Jump
-Hold down
-Slash
-release down
repeat steps 2-4 until you land. If you're good, you can slash 5 times a jump.

I only have a pal copy of this game, and an ntsc toploader, so the game runs at somewhere between 128% to 177% speed. I can get up to the first phase of the final boss fairly flawlessly, but I've never beaten it

thx bois

victory is sweet lads
now onto NG2. i've never played it before, but I hear it's easier.

Yeah, the spin slash is definitely an exploit. Because every enemy in the game is designed to die in one stroke, the game counts ryu's body as a continual hitbox.
the game actually removes your weapon between boss forms, but it doesn't make you re-fight any boss forms you have already defeated. So I played a perfect 6-3 to keep the spin slash, beat boss 1, died, then did it again to take it to the second fight

i sort of did wish I knew this but it's all good. the third boss was easy as fuck anyway. now it's time for NG2

Good luck. It's generally a more balanced game, but the final stretch is just as bad as NG1.

Enjoy the soundtrack too. I recommend using the musicruise cheat. Look it up.

Well those speeds are wacky as fuck so just play it on an emulator.
for the first form, to beat him without the spin slash, i found the best technique was to jump as high up the wall as you can go as the boss approaches you, and once he's close enough, jump over onto the other side away from him and continue attacking the glowing ball.

i'm only a few minutes into this game and it seems way easier. these powerups are too good. and you can't see it because of flickering, but there are three copies of ryu.

I feel like I'm facerolling my way through this already

NG2 is good but my nostalgia makes me prefer the more unbalanced original. Just be careful, because NG2 has some nasty weather surprises in store for you.

I'm ten minutes in and I prefer the original already. the game just felt much tighter and snappier. Oh well, I'll wait until I beat it before I criticise it

since halfv goes nuts with the rangebans I hang out here and on kc.

Awaken my Ninjas

you want a Ninja Gaiden that kicks your ass? Try the US version of 3.

Why did Ninja Gaiden basically disappear after the NES era until the modern revival?

NG arcade has a phenominal soundtrack

Why are football players running around in South America trying to kill an ninja?
I have always wondered this.

Tecmo Bowl development gag?

Eh, the game's not that hard once you get used to it. NG2 is easier though, last time I played it on actual hardware I hit the continue screen and looped out the score.

NG3 US though is a bitch with the extra HP damage AND the 5 max continues. No fucking training wheels there.

Oh shit those Pillar Men in the background.

Never found out, although the 16-bit ports of the games being shit might have something to do with it.

nice

I always though they were soldiers, but now that you mentioned it.

I feel you OP

have no trouble getting there, and then it's all just suffering