IcePickLodge

So the swell goys at IcePickLodge updated their blog today with some images showing some of the new character assets for their game, They look great but I'm somewhat worried, it's been a year and this is all we get, I think the game will be delayed well into next year in spite of the initial 2016 release date.

Here's there blog post fam.
pathologic-game.com/blog/en/twelve-years-older/

I can't wait to play.

It does look great. Pretty, yet with an aesthetic suitable to Pathologic. I wouldn't see Void models into Pathologic's world for instance. But yes, I am curious for the eventual release date - the lucid dreaming stretch goal was reached after all, I'd understand a delay.

Is that AIDS Skrillex?

Their clothes are pretty cool.

Something about that coat, very Pathologic, very IcePickLodge.

He has something better than aids.

Previously they had only shown off this kid, I hope they at least give us a new trailer sometime this year.

I also wonder how Unity is going for the game, I think it will turn out fine but I've never considered IcePickLodge games to be well made under the hood.

You guys are new to icepick, aren't you?
They don't give a single shit, they'll take years to make their projects, they basically have no schedule and are essentially a bunch of lazy bums that make progress whenever they feel like it, it's always been this way.
The main difference with them is that they ALWAYS deliver in the end.

Okay, but why did they announce a 2016 release date then ?

Is there really a reason for this? Why not just say "we'll release it when it's finished, it'll be released when it's released." Deadlines encourage rushing which leads to shit games on launch.

Normally they just make a game and release it when they want but they don't crowdfund those games, I just kind of wish they would have given a more realistic release date if they didn't intend on releasing this year, I also wish they met the Termitary and Abattoir stretch goals, I so much want to see what's inside the Abattoir, but expanding the town and steppe is pretty cool itself and lucid dream would be too.

Mostly I just want a-nu fugging trailer and some news on the alpha, I'm a filthy consumerist whore and I paid a butt load so these fags could make their game.

maybe not a lot of money but a fuck load for a game, If they enable modding I'm gonna make a nude mod for the Changeling, I hope they keep close to the original face

It's looking great, I just can't wait to walk around in their small world.

It's going to run like shit if they use those assets. This is going to be a complete mess.

Top heh as they say.

Most every Unity game sticks to a low polycount. Those that don't (Yooka Laylee, Umbreall Corps) shit the bed during high polycount scenes.

Now, it could have other performance issues under the hood, but that's certainly one of them. If you'd like to prove otherwise, I'm all ears :^)

Subnautica. Now fuck off.

Subnautica doesn't have a high polycount at all, what are you talking about? Have you even played it?

Are you going to prove that a high poly count kills Unity or are you going to just say it does.

As long as you batch the vertices correctly, you can get reasonable drawcalls from a high poly model. As said, there are examples. The forest also has relatively high poly count and it runs very well now. Apparently, Escape from Tarkov also has good performance and they went retarded with the polycount and vertices on some of the stuff of that game.
The problems with default unity performance are physic and light engine, if you can't write your own, you should probably stick to cellphone games and rpgmaker. With somewhat modern hardware, polycount within reasonable limits is pretty fucking irrelevant now a days, lighting is the biggest dent on performance and part of the reason why you can't really get a lot of performance range when going from low settings to high settings, the Stalker situation with multiple light engines for different APIs is not a common thing to find, so certain -older- rigs are bound to have shit performance regardless of the setting.

I hope the combat is either excised completely or retooled to match the atmosphere of the game.

The story and surrealism in Pathologic is just brilliant. But damn did it take he out of the game to have to shank random Hobos. Combat encounters should feel as significant as the dialog itself.

I've provided examples, while the knee-jerk shitposters (likely guerilla marketers or emotionally invested backers) have provided none.

I played a version of that a couple months ago and it looked like shit. I wouldn't call that high polycount any more than Subnautica which definitely isn't.
The gameplay shown has taken place in big, empty areas. Much like how when Yooka Laylee was being shown off, they'd quickly pan away from the enormous polycount, laggy scenes.

Why would you remove the combat, It's not good but removing gameplay is a Bethesda thing, and leaving you with

most unity games sticking to low poly isn't proof that unity can't handle high poly, And you didn't prove that it was high poly assets that killed the performance in either of the games you mentioned assuming that it does kill the performance, one of them isn't out and the other is a game no-one wants.

As high poly as the game we are talking about here.

You need to watch the trailers again, you're just being stupid now. Regardless, that's still more "poly intensive" (a stupid way to measure this since draw calls are far more important) than what they have shown for this game. Unless you want to move the goal post, the engine can handle higher poly than what the in-development Pathologic remake is showing.
Also, why on earth should Yooka Laylee have high poly count? With the art style they are going for, making stuff higher poly would have a negative effect on the aesthetics of the game.

Just like there is a strong correlation between how blown out your shitpussy is, and how much you're disingenuous shilling faggot, there is a strong correlation between every fucking unity game shitting the bed, and the polycount of the scenes in question.

I just watched the trailer of that game again and the performance doesn't tank for shit. What are you talking about?

what high poly scene, show me it tanking in a high poly scene. Show me this correlation you are shitposting about. You think I'm here being buttdevastated, I'm just doubtful of your claims. you want to make a claim then give me some proof or fuck off.

No fucking way. The high poly creates in subnautica only spawn in big, open areas with minimal environments.

I have watched the trailers, and it's either corridors or WIDE open, empty areas that run okay, or heavily populated indoor areas that just shit the bed completely, or heavily populated outdoor areas that do the same. The developer stream, which is what I was talking about, was specifically in relatively empty outdoor areas for 30 fucking minutes.

Here you go, shill-kun.

You don't know if any stutter is caused by a lack of LODs in a pre alpha product or a lack of optimization or that there aren't other things that cause the bottleneck like AO which eats your frames like a bitch. of course high poly counts will eat your frames but you aren't proving to what extent this is happening. Nice try though.

I was talking about the Yooka Laylee trailer. But yeah, I don't see FPS drops and I don't think the environments on Pathologic than on Escape from Tarkov. There are videos that show more open areas on EFT.
I still don't see the correlation you're trying to pull out of your ass, I don't see how Pathologic has a higher poly count than EFT or even The Forest (with all that uneven terrain, trees and multiple different cannibal models with reasonably high poly models).
You're giving far too much importance to a model when the game won't have you seeing a shit ton of models with that level of detail at the same time. Unity can easily handle the drawcalls for a game like Pathologic (fairly barren land, simple town and low population) just fine as long as they do things correctly. You don't know shit about shit, but insist on arguing, it's getting boring.

You don't see the constant FPS drops in the trailer I linked, or the HUGE FPS drops in the new YL E3 trailer whenever they show a big scene?

If you're just going to sit there and pretend they don't exist, then we're done here because you just tipped your hand and I'm not interested in debating with a marketer.

Go derail another thread you fucking moron

the big drops occur when entering a large scene but stabilize mid scene, you can see it clearly at the end of the trailer, on top of this it stutters at other points in the trailer without large scenes. and on top of that we don't know how much they have bothered with optimizing the game at this point.

Don't worry, when they show gameplay footage and it runs like hot garbage, I'll be back to rub it in your face.

Sorry you backed a game that's never going to see a proper release.

Knowing the team, it will be released, if late. It will probably have performance issues, but I doubt they will be extensive considering the desolation of the town.

There are random FPS drops on YL, but not when the game is rendering more shit on the screen. EFT runs just fine on newest footage.
Again, you keep showing your ignorance regarding technical aspects, you're assuming it is about poly count when the game isn't even showing the most poly count intensive parts just because your mind is already set on that.
See pic related, probably the biggest FPS drop on the YL trailer happens here and it is aiming at a wall. The game is probably having a stuttering issue not related to what the engine is rendering and having more to do with the garbage collector or a sync issue. Both of those can be a problem on Unity, not really strictly related to high or low polycount. Now go be wrong elsewhere.

fug, forgot the pic.

Don't worry, I'm more of a consumer whore.

I got questions and answers because I really want to test the shit out of the alpha to help out the studio perfect the game. I'm not much of a goodies man so I can't say I'm interested beyond that though.

I'm big on tabletop games so interested in seeing how that'll turn out.

I'd like to see the /tg/ game and the Menkhu brand, personally, but I don't crowdfund, as much as I trust these guys.

I don't know if there's really a reason to think there will be a significant delay. They've shown what look like finalized assets and a full map design. They probably had the new mechanics planned out before they even pitched the campaign, and almost certainly had them figured out by the time they explained how the tabletop game is going to work. Alexandra was likely assigned to retranslate the original game so she would have something to do while the new script is written, and that was eight months ago, so she probably hasn't been sitting on her hands in the meantime.

If I recall correctly the campaign originally said the estimated delivery was September 2016, not November, so I think they already quietly pushed it back a couple months.

The stuff after the poster didn't really interest me so I stopped there

They said initially that they had already planned the game out so maybe they were relatively precise, although you'd think they would have more assets to show by this point and maybe a trailer, the game is slated for release in just under 6 months, doesn't look like it's 6 months away. There is the possibility that they just don't have all the assets they want and have the gameplay to the point where it's being tested and polished, or the assets they do have are aold ones that they don't want to show off.

Did they push the release date back? I always remember it as November although Wikipedia states it as fall, so maybe they were undecided.

Ima slam dunk that alpha.

I'm almost certain it used to say September, but it's not like I have any archive data to back it up.

I would hope, since they already had a strong idea of what the new Pathologic would be like and were already building on the skeleton of an existing game, that it wouldn't take too long. The Void only took three years, after all, I think they were limited to even less than that for Pathologic the first time around.

But, to let IPL speak for themselves

Reminder that Knock-Knock was delayed for almost an year.

Well if they do delay it they lied about the communication thing, you'd think this close to the planned release date they would know whether it's going to be delayed or not. Hopefully when they do announce a delay they also announce the alpha and give us a trailer, actually considering the alpha hasn't been released they probably haven't finished game systems yet.

I remember them saying that they had been planning it for 3 years, they probably started working on the remake just after Knock Knock, so by the time it's release date rolls around it would have been about 3 years of development time assuming they went into development after Knock Knock's release

Oh well.

That is a really good principle to work on, I wouldn't be mad in the least if they delayed, if only because of lucid dreaming. Just be upfront about it, explain things. I'm sure most fans would understand. Conversely, keeping up with an outdated release date isn't going to do anyone any favors.

Or you could, you know, use libraries. Anyway, why would you even use a premade engine if you are going to end up rewriting it?