Stellaris

Recently got pic related and have been having lots of fun, what do your empires look like?

I've been thinking about getting some mods too, what mods do you guys use?

bump!

Games unfinished

Get the mods that put in features that should have been included at release.

Prepare to be bored to tears in the mid-game, because there's not enough content to interact with other empires but declaring wars

Don't you know we are supposed to hate Paradox because you can't replicate genocide in Hearts of Iron?

Johan pls, its not our fault you can't make a good GSG

industrius thifty indivualist
rolfs

Religious xenophobic fox people that are hellbent on purging all other species from the galaxy :3

Try again tomorrow

Don't be mean :

What mods do you recommend?

Yes, I have always hated Paradox in fact, but I like this game.

Just curious, what have they done to deserve such ire?

I don't really like strategy games so i haven't paid much attention to them in the past.

but can I make my empire all white?

They're from sweden. You should be able to make a few guesses with that fact alone.

Whites-only human empire.

More colors, better AI, improved Ethics tooltips…

Honestly, the mods can only improve this clearly unfinished game so much. They can't just add major features.

There's a mod out now that lets you change your capital, and a mod that makes it so if you GE your entire race, it checks to see whats alive on your capital to change your "primary" race fixing xenophobic pops from hating themselves, both are band-aid fixes for things Paradox should have included, and in time that they hopefully will include.

Stellaris may be an unfinished turd, but its the first Paradox title to feature real-time, though unpolished and buggy, combat.

If your fleet is attacked by from two sides at long range, your dumb ships will fly back and forth between the two without approaching either close enough to actually hit. And its a very bad idea to mix ship AI types, like defensive and aggressive. Keep your fleets all one or the other.

Fair enough, i understand why you would think so even if i don't agree, there's a lot of right wing misinformation and half truths floating around.

Look, they asked Valve specifically to take down an all-White humans mods with dishonest reasoning while other all- mods are still allowed. There are also a couple of texts that show a clear political stance while they at the same time claim that they do not endorse any politics with their games.

Their games become more shallow as time goes on and are at this point nothing more than DLC platforms. They also impose their politics on others when they don't like what they see such as the white only mod because it's too "problematic" that people see things differently then they do.

Well, tell me that instead of just saying it's because they're Swedish then, now i get it.

It's great at first, the struggle to become the supreme species of your galaxy. But I'm dissapointed at the fact I can't develop a way to bypass the 100% score in each war and not steamroll over the remaining forces.
This causes the game to become tedious when you are at the zenit of your power.

You are woefully misinformed. I wish I had that screencap of the Paradox forums in which Johan (creative director) explains an incredibly idiotic and blatantly ahistorical feature of EU4 as being justified by multiplayer balance, and the person who says "great that's exactly what the fans dont want" gets banned. The picture sums up the three key things which have led Paradox to irreparable ruin:
1. Multiplayer "balance"
2. Paradox forums
3. Total incompetence
With a theme of shitting all over history throughout.

Multiplayer "balance"
The Paradox games are by and large single player experiences. Someone who enjoys the games can easily pour in literally thousands of hours playing by themselves. It's supposed to be an interesting challenge altering the course of history. More on that in a bit.
However, since the release of EU4, Paradox has consistently sacrificed elements of the singleplayer experience in favor of balancing their multiplayer games. And when I say their multiplayer games, I don't mean the games they've made which are multiplayer, I mean their in-house multiplayer sessions. If someone exploits a decent feature to crush some other people? Goodbye feature. Is someone naturally talented and can blow the fuck out of everyone else with a medium-large sized nation? Enter draconian player restrictions that make sense in the context of preventing an opponent from blobbing out of control in MP, but amount to nothing more than a giant NO FUN ALLOWED sign planted firmly in the asshole of anyone playing singleplayer.
"But," you might wonder, "isn't it completely ahistorical for one nation to blob out of control and eat most of the world?" Yes absolutely, and it should be extremely difficult to do so. However, not in the way they impose it. The mechanics Paradox employs to restrict the player are PURELY external factors, while neglecting internal instability and vying factions within your realm almost entirely. You have to be extraordinarily inexperienced to succumb to any sort of internal problems. This preference for external over internal reflects a preference for multiplayer over singleplayer, since in an MP game you're much more concerned about the other people than managing your own little country. The net result is an absolutely hollow sandbox that only vaguely resembles a reference to a general idea of history wherein the player focuses purely on expanding outward while waiting for the multiplayer restrictions to cool down.

Paradox forums
Paradox has effectively surrounded themselves with sycophants while silencing, with the unsurprising popular support of the growing sycophant population, anyone who dares say the emperor has no clothes. It's a pretty straightforward problem that doesn't need much explanation for someone to understand entirely. It directly contributes to the third factor.

Total incompetence
Paradox has lost all talent. I don't say this out of frustration; it's patently obvious. They cannot even hope to recreate the much beloved and adequately complex POP system from Victoria 2. The POP system was a way of detailing the demographics of the labor force of your country, and it worked reasonably well. Ever since the main architect of the system left the studio, Paradox has stated that they can't recreate the POP system. And with EU4, Stellaris, and now HoI4 including much hated (and loudly complained about upon EU4's release) mana systems in lieu of literally ANY OTHER mechanic, I strongly suspect that they keep implementing this needlessly abstract and arbitrary system because they don't know what else or how else to go about things. They're creatively bankrupt and have zero talent. It shows in the mana systems. It shows in the stark lack of content on release. It shows in the over-reliance on modders to introduce cool ideas and execute them successfully. It shows in the ever inflating amount of $15-20 DLCs that introduce broken mechanics that flat out don't work, multiplayer balances, performance crippling bloat (I'm looking at you, India in CK2 - which, by they way, is composed of a ton of fictitious characters they made up because they couldn't be bothered to do any research beyond Wikipedia), etc. But thank G-d they release free patches along with every DLC which adds new features for free! Oh wait, no a few of those features are locked behind the DLC paywall and you're essentially crippled on the current version of the game unless you buy the DLC to access the new features that have been included in your game for free*. No problem then, just revert back to the last version but oh darn you just remembered there was a game breaking bug that got fixed with the newest patch so you'll just have to go back to the current version (or further back in the older versions, but then you might run into other bugs or lose features you enjoy).

All of this is made worse by the fact that they are the only ones who make these sorts of games, so they have zero competition. There's nothing preventing them from gutting the fans (post-2014: read 'idiots') of their shekels with DLC practices that would make EA blush, and casualizing their games due to a lack of talent and preference for multiplayer in order to appeal to a wider audience.
I've missed some details but this provides a basic outline of the sins of Paradox.

Jesus guy, i don't care enough to read all that but point taken.

GE?

Exactly.

For me their games always sucked for various gameplay reasons, then I realized that every game they made was a crappy reskinned clone of another crappy game they made.

Stellaris is actually really fun though.

You can and you should. I almost vomited when I saw a nigger in the game named "Vladimir" or a white man named "Oguwebo" or something, that's what prompted me to look for mods.

Genetic Engineer. Like make all your race quick-learner to boost research, or gills because you just conquered an empire of fish people as desert sand lizards.

That's right. It's a vast right wing conspiracy to slander a hard working and honest game developer. I suspect that GamerGate is involved somehow.

If it were at least consistent with what race gets what kind of names it wouldn't be a problem at all, honestly. It seems incredibly lazy that it's basically random. It's not even "multicultural", just incredibly retarded.

I'm not talking just Gamergate, i'm talking about how right wing media is portraying Sweden, most of that shit is based on more or less nationalistic publications that has since long thrown objectivity and facts out the window, but they are taken as hard facts and truths because they are Swedish, you can't fact check that shit unless you know Swedish so nobody can call you out on it and if they do they get drowned in non arguments like "fuck off cuck".

If you can't see it it is because you don't wanna, you really don't have to look hard.

CHECKED

Someone post this on their forums and record the fanboy salt

You mean the "fanboy" who doesn't like or care about tactic games? Sure is a lot of salt flowing friend.

You don't care, so get out.

I was curious about the hate, so no, i'll stick around.

This thread contains shills.
Do not post without a sage in this thread.

Fuck off Johan

Must be a cuck shill

not even trying/10

You and
a61354
Are probably shills. A6 definately is. You i'm not certain about, but you rose to the bait when I didn't respond to you, so you probably are, and you don't sage for off topic shit. Go away, cuck.

The game shows promise but as it is it feels woefully lacking in features, it's like a very well-polished beta. In typical Paradox style I imagine the game will get filled out over the next 2 to 3 years with a half dozen major DLC expansion packs and one or two dozen minor DLC packs (shit like additional faces and culture names, etc.), all of which will cost somewhere in the realm of, at minimum, $150 to buy on top of the cost of the base game.

In other words, it's neat, but there's no way I'm buying it at the moment. Maybe in 4 years when the GOTY edition with all the DLC shows up in a Steam sale for $30 or something, then I'll get it. For now I'll just enjoy my pirated copy.

Think what you will but provided shills is even a thing by this point i'd say there's shills coming from the right too, both side has a vested interest what with the upcoming election.

America is a mess of corporate greed and arbitrary absolutes, both the right and the left, artificial hate created to push voters to one side or the other.

America is eating itself up and the sooner they realize that the better.

Are there any good mods for this

Shilling
Shilling

This isn't a politics thread faggot, go back to Holla Forums and stay the fuck off Holla Forums. At the very least you could sage when you shitpost, you worthless cunt.

See, that's what i'm talking about, aboslutes, enjoy your shithole of a country faggot.

It's too easy because no one starts with alliances nor has any reason to. As soon as you start out everyone is on their own so whoever strikes first and hardest wins
congratulations, you have now effectively doubled your military strength because vassals join their entire fleet to yours when you got to war and there's no reason not to doomblob your way to victory. Hell there's not even any reason to build ground armies because the AI is retarded and can't into war and will give in to vassalization when you destroy all of their ships and space ports.

More colors is unnecessary. I recommend the white-people mod.

Only if the leftists win will it be a shithole. Now go home, Holla Forums, you're drunk and still fucking annoying.

Stellaris is babbies first Grand Strategy taken up to eleven. Oh man, we all joked about CK2 being basic, but at least there was depth you could explore underneath 'recruit levies' through manipulation of dynasties and more shit to do with religion. Stellaris has managed to become a step backwards in the genre, dumbing down the game and stripping away features that were in other games like espionage. And most of these features the game lacks are lacking just so they can be added later as $10+ DLC.

Most other Grand Strategy games done by Paradox end at a time, not by win condition. However this game has decided to add a win condition, and not only that, one that can be achieved exclusively by being the biggest and strongest. There is no room for roleplay, there is no alternate areas you can start in like a Shogunate or the HRE. There's no significant difference from having a different religion, no Norse Invasion or reformation. At the start of the game you have decided 90% of what your nation will be by the end of the game. The 'choices' you make are mostly meaningless, and do not change how the game plays at all.

When your game has less depth than Civ's 5, you have seriously fucked up. When your sci-fi game's diplomacy is so shit it makes people wonder why in 20 years we never got any better than Alpha Centauri, you have seriously fucked up. When your combat system boils down to Paper/Scissors/Rock+ and Space Empires IV has more depth in ship building, you have seriously fucked up.

Thanks for dumbing down the entire genre, Paradox.

Quality post.

You thinks Stellaris is empty and casualized as fuck? Wait till you try HoI 4! They utterly butchered it. It's a casuel mess that looks nothing like a HoI game.

It's fun until you managed to create a strong empire… then get's boring.
Also, lot of problems… like
-Your fleets ignore your order while they are engaged in combat, and they will engage anything that get's in their range, so you can't order your fleet to attack another due it being busy attacking some stupid mining station while your target fleet leaves the system
Etc, etc, etc.

Yoou best not be Holla Forums

Just play Alpha Centauri. Sure, it's Civ 2.5, but it's a hell of a lot better than Stellaris at this point.
MODS WILL FIX IT :^)

at the start it was fun, but then i started to see all the restrictions the game put on you and it kinda lost the appeal.

also

As others have said, nothing you choose with regards to ethics and traits really matters. You always get a couple of appropriate planets for colonizing around you, there are barely any interesting effects on said planets that hinder or help your specific race, the AI is passive as fuck… I think Stellaris is the first Paradox game you can put on auto run at the highest speed and never ever lose.

Oh, and forgot, everytime you alter your main species, even if it's to chance the climate preference, they will consider the baseline species alien, so you got a nice "alien overlord" negative factor.
Ridiculous.

what a pleb, they are pro muslim

I wish that there was a way to keep a species from doing that. Maybe if you modify your own species, there could be a bonus that cancels that malus.

I agree, these goddamn nationalists need to be stopped. They're slandering (and practically raping) a humble, honest, talented gamedev like paradox! Why can't these right wing fascists just leave video games alone! What makes me even angrier is that they make fun of Sweden! Don't they realize that Sweden is a Humanitarian Superpower and isn't to be trifled with! Fucking Nazi bastards!