Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

So…how people see PE4 today? What do you like and/or hate about it? When it was released, most weabos and younger gamers loved it while most older and fans of SMT and older personas fucking hated it. Later, maybe because Atlus milked the fuck out of it (even a dancing game, not even FF7 have that!) it seems most people hate it now?

Maybe I will elaborate on this later, but personally…I prefer 2, Tsumi more than Batsu, and,while I don't like 4, I don't think it's the worst jrpg of history of mankind. Its worst sin was to inspire waifu crap in some games like current Fire Emblems.

For some reason I couldn't get the drive to finish either it or Persona 3:FES. It might be because I couldn't care less about the high school sim stuff.

For Persona 4 specifically, I felt the game took fucking forever to actually let you experience all of the mechanics, compared to 3. The prologue felt like as much of a drag as KH2's was.

It dragged for too long, much like Persona 3.

it's great

Yeah, that calendar shit was purposefully lazy design to bloat game length. Sad.

I liked it, and my opinion was

Needless to say, I can't bring myself to play it again because I just get pissed off at how that turned out.

I know all the story, all the characters, all the music.

Never played a single Persona game in my life.

It's okay, but it's not really the pinnacle of the series. The game's slice of life, dungeon crawling, and the music is comfy, and some of the side characters for the social links are pretty nice. Downside of the game is, it takes too fucking long to gain access to the next part of the game's plot, the majority of the main cast (except Rise and Kanji) that you have to be stuck with are annoying, and the social link mechanic sucks.

Can't the game just progress the plot normally and sprinkle in character development or character events from time to time?

How else is the game going to boast about being over 70 hours long due to artificial padding?

I thought it was pretty good. Not the best SMT or even the best Persona, but it was fun for what it was. I didn't even really mind all the waifu stuff, since most of the characters were pretty interesting in their own right.

I think most of the people who claim to hate are just mad at the horrible influence it had on the SMT series, and Japanese games as a whole really. Maybe even western games too. Who's to say if the later Bioware games would have had all those romance subplots or not if Persona 4 hadn't have made dating sim elements so popular?

Don't do that.

I found ironic that the game's aim was to create good waifus and then the best scenes are the bro moments with the guys and all the girls are bland as fuck.

I'm not sure if I should repeat myself.

Pretty much.
There are no longer any likeable girls 'cause their only good writers left long ago.

When I played it years ago as a teenager I thought it was great, looking back now I can see a lot of flaws the game has, and that hopefully get fixed in the sequel.

Bioware has had romance options before Persona 4

I managed to sit to P3 2 times and I dropped it.
Not only gameplay is too slow for me I just realised I am literally some high school students on shitty adventure to clear extremely repeatable dungeon.

From what I know P4 is pretty much same. I seriously am more interested in watching the animated series instead of picking it up after what I have seen in P3.

I also always found myself bored either day gameplay or night gameplay. I always either wanted to be finished with some character side story or just wanted to finish a dungeon.
I skipped through dialog or didn't went to Tartarus for over a week. The fact they made the two parts of game intertwined makes it even worse.

Funny you mention Rise, I was afraid she would be the worst girl, being an idol and all…but she turned out to be the best girl of PE4, mostly because she wasn't annoying like rest of cast, which always did something to make me cringe every single time they had screentime, good lord…

I guess you can have fun with it once, if you want to PLAY a soap-opera anime.

It's only one of the few games that should only ever be played on easy.
Not because it's so difficult on higher levels, just more grindy, and steals more from your time than it's worth.

I want to fuck teddie and his twink ass.

ok, I heard of rule 34 and I know one of the reasons game is bad is because of the waifu focus, but this…is too much.

How come Atlus always gets to design E3 badges?
It's easy publicity in the world's biggest video game show. You'd think there would be some serious competition for it among far richer companies.

Anyway, looks like Soejima is coming over again. No surprise, given that this is a big year for him but it's still nice to see it confirmed.

Hey guys >>>/persona/ exists.

The calendar thing was one of the game flaws, same problem in 3. While it's there because of the social link mechanic, it really hurt the game's pacing in both cases.It's even worse in 4 since there are more social links, so more time you will want to spend developing them.

People tend to hate it. I like it.

Played 4 and then 3 before getting into mainline SMT. Playing the crap games first means it only gets better.

Comfy ass game. but Persona 2 will always be the best SMT spinoff.

I picked up p4 golden when i got a vita 2 years ago, and i enjoyed it for what it was. Especially because i went into it completely blind. I finished it and then i played the rest of the series. Now im playing the main line games. I finished smt 3, playing 2 and sj now. P4 compared to the rest of the series is casualies shit, but in a vaccum, its ok. Its enjoyable as a vn.

It's just Holla Forums being overly critical. Like how some anons say that Bioware was never good in the first place.

no video games in Holla Forums no sir

As much as I'm meh toward it, I am glad it single handedly revived Atlus as a company.

Most likely it's due to the influence, but game itself is really…lacking, I would say. If i played it when I was younger and naive, I might have loved it, but playing it today, when I know many better jrpgs and therefore can see the flaws in it…yeah.Funny thing is, it could work if that was a spin off and not freaking persona 4.

Even if we compare the mascots…Koromaru > Teddie and I don't even like dogs, but at least Koromaru isn't annoying.

I never finished it. I think I left off on the boss fight where you fight the bear or something?

I like it, but the pacing a story were worse than 3. It also annoys me how badly some things crossed the ocean. You still have people insisting that Naoto is a tranny. It is a very flawed gem.

Nigga that was Persona 3, which was also rated as the #1 RPG in 2007 from most magazines. At least get that right.

Go play Raidou and then come back.

I do have to second the pacing as an issue since every thing is on a set time table, and since in 4 you can do the dungeon whenever, you can have a full month of basically no reason to fight anything ever and social links that you might not care about/have already finished.
I want to fucking hurt Extra Credits for reinforcing this.

Arena is better than Blazblue
4 is fun for a bit, but I'd rather punch god in nocturne
press turn was stupid back then and its stupid now

I don't hate the game, it's decent for one or two runs, but I can't replay the game after that. Difficulty for me was conserving SP in the beginning because Fox prices were jacked up but as you go along, the game gets a lot easier.

Some of the more notable social links I remember were Kanji's and Dojima's, but everyone else felt a little generic to me. One of the things that grind me is that whenever you do a social link with the Investigation Team, you basically help them come to terms with their problem again which should've been softened from accepting their Shadow, and then they pretty much just come to the same conclusion they had from accepting their Shadow anyways.

I forgot they even did something involving P4, I now want to continue forgetting

persona 1/2 and 3/4 might as well be considered different series for all intents and purposes. i found 3 more enjoyable than 4

This. I'm playing it for the first time right now and it's just too fucking long, it just turned October and I'm forcing myself to finish it (or trying to anyway) because I've gotten this far and I made the poor decision to pay for it. It has its moments, but they're few and far between. Dragon Quest VII is longer than this game, it took me 138 hours to finish the 3DS version when I played it, but its length didn't bother me all that much because it didn't feel padded out, it just felt like a long adventure. Persona 3 and 4 feel like relatively short stories that were stretched out and filled with VN filler. I've tried hard to like the social links, and they're generally more interesting in 4, but they're still not that great. I actually like the main characters though, they helped carry me through the game for awhile.

Really wishing I'd just bought a physical copy so I could sell it and get some money back, even if it would be slightly harder to sell a Japanese version.

Persona 1 and 2 were great though. Well, Persona 2's gameplay wasn't great in either game, but I liked the characters and the story. Persona 1, while not great, was decent all around. Likable characters, good enough gamplay (though the grid system got annoying at times and I'd have gone crazy without emulator turbo to speed up the battles), interesting story, and great music.

I'd have to agree with that. I haven't finished Kanji's yet, but I liked Dojima's and Nanako's. The nurse's was interesting at first but fell apart later.

P4 pretty much doomed the Persona series to remain an anime trope-fest for the rest of its life. Can't even blame Atlus for that, they'd be stupid to turn down all that money.

It's a good game, but it's existence has shit up the JRPG genre for this last decade. People saw the waifu bait in P4 and tried to monopolize off of it.

I'd argue that was P3.

Both are somewhat at fault, though I'd lay the blame on more than just those two. Probably other games as well, and definitely anime and the unfathomably lonely otakus who keep buying waifu shit.

True, I actually love these games, but it's that thing where people think it's popular for all the wrong reasons.

People always say Persona is popular because of waifus, but I always imagined that really wasn't the half of it. It seems to be the social links. Not sure why; there are some good ones but most are pretty "meh" to me. Though to each their own.

It was deeper than a lot of shit at the time. Plus the shut in thing is probably true, well with me anyway.

thats pretty much how Atlus treats it, there was a hard reset in the universe between P2 and P3

That's how it felt to me. Persona 3 felt like Persona in name only. Persona 4 was even farther from the original games.

Funny how I miss Trish, but then again I miss a lot of older persona characters. Including Philemon and Nyar-chan.