Games that get low-poly right

games that get low-poly right.
Are there any aside from not-Wipeout?

shit i misplaced the title

Anything with Quake/Half Life 1 graphics is perfection in my eyes.

the old Spyro games did it pretty well, at least in my opinion.

ghost recon 1

mine too. it's before models could have lighting and shadows so the textures were like sprites made 3d.

Anton and Coolpecker :^)

There will be a shift soon in the indie community to make low poly games.

But careful what you wish for.

A long time ago, making an indie 2D title was absolutely fine, but then more and more devs started to do it, a lot of devs just started to do it out of lazyness, not respecting the graphical style or having a set artstyle in mind when approaching 2D pixel art, resulting in both the 2D pixel art indie level to fall to miserable depths in terms of quality, and at the same time a massive kneejerk reaction against all 2D indie games by Holla Forums and in part the general public itself.

As more and more indie devs gravitate towards low poly in the future, you will see the same exact progression:

-A couple of main titles that become the posterchild for low poly modern indie games.

-Tons of titles will try to copy that.

-Many indie devs will start making low poly games out of lazyness.

-The market will be flooded with low poly indie games.

-Holla Forums will start shitting on them and saying that they were never good in the first place.

-The average person will start to associate indie games with low poly and start to dislike them in general.

-The next visual approach will become big and the cycle will start over again.

Screencap this, you'll have plenty of threads to post it in the coming years.

what

So that means that pixel art will become more liked as a result?

I would never refer to that as good low poly, and Wipeout sucks.

Sort of, except it's hipster low poly shit like that Indie cancer, models don't actually try to be low poly or even maximized use of polygons they just accentuate that it's polygonal by using flat shading.

Unfortunately I'm not sure of any actually good low poly games that are recent, but there are good titles that maximized use of the low poly budget like Conker's Bad Fur Day, Super Mario 64 DS and Vagrant Story.

Actually, yes.
You'll even start seeing Holla Forums proclaiming loudly that the only good indie games are 2D pixel art games and every other form of indie games is shit.
When the next thing takes over they'll say that for low poly and so on.

See that's not even trying to be low fidelity. That's just lazy.
Of course that's how hipsters are. They hear "low poly is cool" and make flat color models with only a few polys.
They completely forget the other half of low-poly is the unfiltered low-res textures.

Is what low-poly is supposed to look like as a style.

You lie way too much, People didn't stop liking good pixel art when hipsters got to it, there was just so much trash that it was easy to shit on it, games like Metaru Surrugu and artists like Paul Robertson are still loved right here, you may want to see a doctor about being retarded.

Megaman legends's artstyle is absolutely gorgeous.

I think the lowpoly version looks way better than the sm4sh version too.

Have there been any updates to BallisticNG? Webm related, I was playing it yesterday and since it's V0.1, I'm wondering if there's any new versions.

It's funny because new techniques could greatly enhance stuff like this game, that mouth I assume is a flat texture made to be viewed from the camera's angle but with current tech we could fake a low poly flat textured mouth and make it appear to have depth making it look consistent from any angle. we could even make it so that the edges of a model appear to be unailiased but match the texture resolution making characters appear to be 3d pixel art in a sense.

You will never see indies do anything like this.

I have 2 thoughts when seeing this game.

1. Wow it looks so floaty
2. Too bad its not more like F-Zero instead

man I was playing 2d indieshit in the days of Klik N Play, 96% of it was shit. 96% of indie shit is always shit. and it's not wrong to call it shit, it's shit, you just shouldn't be surprised by this. mountain of horse shit with some gold in there somewhere.

fuck this art so much, laziest thing imaginable.
also wipeout is great and you suck

Wipeout is not great and you suck.

Wipeout is fucking amazing.
When i was younger i remember i got into an argument with this shithead that would insult wipeout and praise f-zero all day.
So i broke his nose.
You seem like a shithead, just like that guy.

You're the one that likes shit games.

Grow Home is great. It's a comfy platformer about climbing beanstalks using a cool hand-over-hand climbing method with procedural animation.

thats the thing though, the whole gaming industry right from the very beginning has always been a gigantic mountain of shit with a scattering of gold nuggets hidden within.
its part of the ride of buying a new game, not knowing whether you'll reach in and pull out a shining gem or just another handful of steaming turds.

Well, games from the era, obviously.

HAHAHAHaAHAHAHaAHAHAHaAHAHAHaAHAHAHaAHAHAHaAHAHAHaAHAHAHaAHAHAHaAHAHAHaAHAHAHaAHAHAHaAHAHAHaAHAHAHaAHAHAHaAHAHAHa

SH1 is fucking beautiful, better than SH2 imo.

Sky Rogue

/thread

Man, I'm pretty not a fan of this art. There's no detail on anything, everything is a flat colour.

You mean like the N64?

*I'm really not

You could say I have shit taste, but it got the low poly aspect right.
Now that you mention it, the game sure can use some detail

>fucking indieshit hipster sjw faggots ruining real low-poly art

reminder that chantards can never be pleased and get their joys off being unlikable

I think they got it right. it's not a PC/PS1 low poly look, it's a SEGA arcade homage look, I like it.

are you the guy who makes this appeal in every thread? there's shit Polygon article lazy garbage low poly and there's good low poly.

From my perception of what people seem to think is "good" low poly, it's the kind that hides it's polygons well and doesn't look low poly unless you look really hard. Case in point

I've been calling this for years. We're JUST beginning to see it too, we got a few indie racing games popping up with an obnoxious low-poly style to it that misses the actual feel of low-poly.

consider attempting to describe visuals without the cocks of buzzwords and empty pejoratives lodged in

here this line for the whiny fucks

Choose one

It's designed to emulate the pop-in on the PS1 wipeout games.

It can be turned off in the settings.

This game had solid art style and good gameplay. Kind of grindy, but shitloads of fun, one of the few indie shits I actually enjoyed.

buzzwords? no, I said Polygon very specifically because they use that art as filler on their site. it's this shit
the current wave of indie clique garbage is all using this same style.
it's like they use the 3DSMax automatic LOD tool, crank down the slider, and drop on some flat colors. the insults are justified, horribly lazy shit.

this is OK. maybe borderline. something about the shader they chose doesn't work well with the flat colors, bit ugly. also the lighting is sparse, the textureless look can be neat with a lot of colored light sources.

its not low poly, its just minimalist.

This is low poly. Build engine game fans might recognize the last few. Although, it's not in the Build engine.

Dustforce devs are doing it.

Shit.

Why wouldn't you use Wipeout music you fag

user, what is this low-poly spoopyness?

Spire. Devs from Dustforce are working on it. They're using Unity though because the Engine for Game #3 is being worked on separately by another member of the team.

none of those are good examples of low poly.

Unity is as good as the people using it.

despite the aesthetics, the game itself is pretty forgettable. Would be cool if there was a fairly complete editor and feature set.

It often helps to understand the context behind this sort of stuff. The game wasn't really a passion project so much as just something to pop out while the engine was being developed further. He basically put a minimal amount of effort in to the game so he could get back to working on the engine.

Funnily enough this is what the dev I talked about on
who separated from the team. The game is essentially a proof of concept for the engine (so far) so he can go back and use it for Hitboxes next game.

So he more or less found an opportunity to spend a few months on a game while establishing and fleshing out the engine to make it work. Basically he hit 2 birds with one stone. He gets rent for the next few months (maybe) and he gets to spend a bit more time on the engine as a result. At least that's what makes sense from a strategic standpoint. Hell I'de do it.

it's a shame it's shit, the art is so cool. but the gameplay is flash game tier.

I notice the case isn't necessarily texture resolution and model detail as it is the color, lighting and shaders.

If there's anything to up the graphics on while retaining the low poly, I'd probably say showing player legs, and full shadows. Since there was a trend among first person shooter to not bother to have legs and shadow.

The first image
Just looks really weird. Even though there's more higher texture resolution (I think), and less blocky models.

Yeah, the PS1 Spyro, Crash, and Mega Man Legends games all looked really good for 3D PS1 games. Also heard good stuff amount how Vagrant Story handled its graphics, though I still need to give it a go sometime.

Some DS games also had some pretty nice low poly 3D modelling, but with the limitations of the screens the systems used they didn't really look all that good at times (really depended on the game). There's a setting for at least one emulator that removes the screen imposed limits and lets the actual models shine as they were meant to be.

I'll never understand why they have a perfectly good ace combat clone, and then decided to make it both roguelite and low poly.

Who is ready for this year's most egregious use of untextured pesudo-low-poly graphics?

it's not called Enemy Starfighter anymore? not really low poly, simple clean art. makes such good use of light and particles. look at how the big ships take on the environment color and you can see passing shots and near explosions light them up, very nice.