Infinity Engine Games General

Siege of Dragonspear discussions not welcome

It's an engine developed for isometric RPG games by BioWare in 1998. The main game series that use it are: Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment.

They're all fantasy role-playing games. They all take place in Dungeons and Dragons universe and use its rules.
Baldur's Gate: Has two games and one major DLC:Throne of Bhaal. Uses modified version of AD&D 2. edition rules. Focuses on combat and story equally, both are pretty good. The second game adds more companion interaction and romances.
You start the game as a young man/woman of 20s who has never left his/her town before. You don't know much about your childhood or parents. You've been a ward to a old mage Gorion as long as you remember and your best friend in the town is a girl named Imoen. The game starts when Gorion says you two have to leave the village

Icewind Dale: Has two games and one major DLC: Heart of Winter. First game uses the 2. edition rules whereas the second game uses a modified version of 3. Story is pretty much non-existent and it's not important, game focuses purely on combat. Has the best combat in Infinity Engine games. This game doesn't have companion interactions as you create them and they're not premade, unless you decide to mod it yourself.
You start in a tavern with the adventurer team you created. The mayor of the town wants you to investigate a town.

Planescape Torment: One game. Focuses all on story, combat is pretty shit and you can avoid pretty much all of the combat in the game. The game, arguably has one of the best written stories in any video game. Has the most companion/character interaction in Infinite Engine games.
You start the game as an immortal man who wakes up in a mortuary, who doesn't remember anything about his past, not even his name. You're immediately greeted by a floating skull who offers you help.

Best suggestion would be playing the game and learning as you play it, googling the problems you have or asking here. We might make a pastebin for this in the future

Except for bug fixes and wide screen mods, there aren't any other MUST have mods. I will make a pastebin of recommended mods if this general actually attracts posters

"Remakes" of the original games, promised with better graphics and bug fixes, features either of them. Adds some quests and characters with pretty bad writing. The only good part of it is it's also on mobile, so you can play IE games without having to fuck around with emulators. Still just pirate it.

I'm downloading BG again and wanted to make a thread about it and its mods, etc. But BG threads usually die early, like other IE games so I thought of making one big general to talk about all of them, as their audiences are pretty much the same anyway. I also thought of adding NWN but that probably would be overkill. We'll see how this thread goes.

A few questions to ignite discussions:

>What's the best romance and why is it Imoen?

Also keep Beamdog related discussion to minimum and talk about the original games, please.

Other urls found in this thread:

gemrb.org/wiki/doku.php?id=start
imoen.blindmonkey.org/downloads.php
forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50357/mod-sod-gui-overhaul-v2-04/p1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I didn't notice I wrote that long

BG2 is my RPG darling. Though I liked BG1 lower-magic atmopshere.

theres an open source implementation of the Infinity engine called GemRB: gemrb.org/wiki/doku.php?id=start

Can it support turn-based?

None. Finished the BG games a few months ago, will probably start Icewind Dale or Planescape next.

I liked the Underdark section of BG2's main quest.

Mage.

Minsc, I guess.

Imoen a shit.

All of them are pretty shit tbh fam, Dragonspear was the only good one smdh

Those are called expansion packs you fucking faggot. I've seen this a few times lately, people have started calling old xpacs DLC. I don't get it.

DLC has always existed goy, now buy my preorder Blood and Gore DLC pack for only $99.99

Unnecessary commas don't normally bother me, but, the one in the second panel of that image, is making me flip the fuck out, for some reason.

Young 'uns who have never known proper addons.

General opinions of Imoen? I always thought she had the least character of all party members (well, perhaps safe for Khalid) because she basically was meant to be a Yes-Man without her own agenda. You could do anything and she would neither support nor oppose you for it.

She was the Bhaalspawns little sister so of course she's going to agree with you and follow you around.

Irenicus really burned my biscuits torturing her though. I could give half a fuck about the rest of the party but that really made me timestop cleave and smite big time.

He makes your pretty yesgirl waifu into a cold tortured shell of her former self. Fucking elves. Never trust an elf.

And alas that's all I have.

half sister is not for sexual!

With the right mods, hell yes she is.

did they updated the old gog installer to remove problematic pics/dialogs/actions? i downloaded BG1&2 IWD1&2 just to be safe.

Are there any important projects on this?

Replaying them or playing for the first time?

I use DLC for any additional official content, it doesn't usually bother people.

She has more personality in ToB, she sometimes argues with companions, etc. Also she does criticize you sometimes IIRC, but she never leaves the party I think.

The player can be an elf and Imoen is always a human. So Bhaal polymorphed to an elf when he impregnated main character's mother, in this case are you two still half - sisters?

Also it looks like they finally released the ToB version of Imoen romance, I wasn't aware of this. IIRC it ended in SoA, I have to try this again. It's a shame there isn't a BG1 version though

Dak'kon. That's not even a question.

stop making shit threads you foreign shit head

>>>/out/

Jahiera was unlikable in BG1, yet she would stomach whatever you did if you had a good reputation (I didn't mind Khalid even though he was a pussy). She was pretty cool in part 2 (and hotter).

Aerie can fuck off (God damn, I hated her in my party). What do you guys think about Viconia?

shes a slut who had millions of dicks inside her, just like ur mom lol

He wasn't an elf anymore technically.

It's actually a really well done mod because it adds a ton of character dialogue, and you can not hit on her and just be friends to avoid the sex.

What's wrong with Aerie? I really didn't mind her.
Now Nalia, Nalia can fuck off. Edwin put her in her place real damn quick with her "Waah, the poor people" talk.

Best girl, but only because everyone else is just so fucking awful.
Best Cleric, though, that's for sure.

Say that to my face fucker not online see what happens.

In BG1 I found her less annoying than most people seem to. In BG2 I quite liked her but felt she had turned a little too emo. She's basically a completely different character.

I tried to install the Imoen romance mod a few times but the thing fucking breaks the game each time. I can install my other mods fine, and the game works fine. But not the Imoen romance mod.

From a story point of view? Probably.
From a personality PoV? Has to be Morte.
From a best bro PoV? Has to be Jan.
From a min-maxer PoV? Has to be _Jan_.

I really liked mage combat in BG2, especially with SCS installed, which made enemy mages into forces to be reckoned with. Mod isn't perfect, but it's so damn fun to have those ridiculous mage battles. Also, going through the Drow city custom battle was ridiculously rewarding.

Without question the wizard/sorcerer of BG2 is one of the most satisfying of any RPG. The powerscaling, the sheer variety of what mages can do, the game is practically meant to be played as a magic user.

low-level dnd is mind-numbing in videogame sense. that shit belongs in tabletop.

good to have around for cleric stuff and see her interact with the rest of the party. relationship-wise? disgusting. a self-respecting man would not bother with this mess.

Romance mods need to be installed last, but before Widescreen mods.

Ye I know, I even did it on a clean install and it's a no-go.

She was added to make sure a level 1 mage got to Jaheira and Kahlid alive in the first game, and she was going to be killed off in the second.

Apparently she was spared due to a character poll that put her ahead of everyone else by a massive margin.

I've had Baldur's Gate 1&2 Enhanced Edition on my wishlist for a while now.
But I've been hearing all kind of horrors about the last patch. Should I just get the old version instead? What enchanted edition offered aside from resolution for modern PC's and a pair of new NPCs?

I liked Aerie. Yes, bit whiny but there's worse characters, and what everyone seems to forget is how terrifyingly broken she could get.

To say nothing of the other buffs/attack spells she could do.

Anomen was pretty fun too, and solid in combat. Helped he stopped being a prick after he passed his test. Actual character development, which even now can be a fucking miracle in rpgs.

Is it v3.5?
I doubt I can help you anyway if you did a clean install and it still didn't work.

I messed up and he failed it for me. Is he still in The Order in ToB if he passes it? He has dialogue in that one where he talks about no longer being in it, but it's weird because his voice quips when you tell him to move/attack can still act like he's in it.

Not a whole lot, and there are resolution patches for the originals. You're better off just sticking with them.

now that dragonspear is out, patches for the EEs are being released more regularly, your mileage may vary on whether this is good or bad

Played them for the first time so I could see what they were all about. Ended up being way more fun than I thought. I really wish there were more games like them around.

Dunno, just whatever I found on google.

Enhanced edition isn't as bad as people made it out to be.

It only ever got worringly SJW questionable with Fuckign Dorn, and bothersome with the wold mage when literally out of nowhere, romance after going to that goblin infested location.

Then that Awful "DLC" came out, and that was that.

If you wan't really bad and mixed bag, try downloading as many EE mods as you can, it's a clusterfuck.

Also, It's been bothering me for a while, but there seems to be a merger of Bg1 & 2, and this New infinity engine thing that uses whatever IE yougame you have installed, what's that about exactly?

You could open up that handy file called README.txt and find out.
It's this one, which apparently has been updated again to v3.7. There are other Imoen mods floating around as well; one of them is called Imoen Friendship, but I don't know much about it. I wanted to check out the infamous romance one, and you can't have more than one for a character installed.
imoen.blindmonkey.org/downloads.php

isnt better to mod the old game instead of playing the newer version?

Most mods work with the EEs now and there's some components of certain mods that will only work for the EEs (tweaks anthology, previously known as bg2tweaks)

There's other mods that only work with the originals too, but they're becoming more rare as the modding community updates them or makes something better to replace them

Man I like the EEs till they made the UI somehow worse and broke all my mods.

How do you make a shit UI even more shit? By adding a really shut quest tracker that makes your character seem like a complete shit.

yeah, that was just change for the sake of change if you ask me. At least now UI modding is a lot more feasible so people are gonna cook up what they prefer. I'm using this UI mod and there's a BG2 version of it on the way, and I have to say its better than the default by miles

forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50357/mod-sod-gui-overhaul-v2-04/p1

Jesus fuck I still to this day can't get over how disgustingly ugly the BG2 portraits are. It looks like Social Justice jizzed all over her fucking face.

What gets me is how different some of the characters look between games. Viconia especially. I can understand scars and such for going through the ordeals of BG1.

Edwin went through a piercing phase between games as well.

I think the closest you can get is NWN games, but I never really liked their gameplay. Except for MotB I didn't finish, or play more than one hour NWN games, I should finish them sometime.

Also Baldur's Gate combat can be more challenging with SCS installed, if you like challenge try it sometime, makes the AI much better

I had a playthrough with me and Aerie only with level limit removed. It was far too easy to be honest, Aerie gets ridiculously powerful if you know how to play her

I just assumed that the bhaalspawn would be only the mother's race and that the children were not conceived in a sexual way but through some weird ritual. So the bhaalspawn would only have one biological parent. Or they would have two biological parents who were both cult member and did some ritual sex that would infuse the resulting child with Bhaal's essence or something. That way Imoen would not even be your half-sister biologically but spiritually. Make of that what you will.

I'm pretty sure it was stated somewhere that Bhaal tansformed himself into the appropriate race and then just raped random women.

But you can be a half-elf or half-orc. There's also the orc-dragon bhaalspawn Abazigal in BG2. Did he just not care sometimes? Maybe there were elves and humans both around him and he didn't bother changing? Yeah, that could work.

I was under the impression they're not biological siblings, but adoptive ones.

He's largely the same, but the obnoxious prick is replaced with a bit moreā€¦ suave, for lack of a better word, and he's slower to rise to obvious bait from other party members/npcs. I guess the easiest way to picture it is before passing he's a mouthy twat compensating. Once he passes, he knows he can walk the walk too, and chills a bit because of it.

I grew up kinda sheltered

Imoen may have been one of my earliest waifus without even knowing what it was

on my first playthrough, with just the demo disk that only takes you a little past the mines and no side areas I gave her a matching Flamedance Ring to signify we were a couple

Also I gave khalid and jaheira matchign rings too

IIRC he fails to become a knight, but he's still in the order.