Odin Sphere / Vanillaware Thread

It's out on PS4.

What do you think of Kamitani's based beat 'em ups, Holla Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

nichegamer.com/2015/10/23/vanillaware-is-exploring-a-solution-to-bring-their-games-to-pc/
archive.is/NW9lo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What?
No, just in japan, the US release it the 7th, still a couple of days left.

Meant the PSN demo, but yeah, full game in a few days.

great art, shit level design, shit gameplay if dragon's crown and odin sphere are anything to go by. leifthrasir looks good though, and not just in an aesthetic sense, either.

Leifthrasir has better gameplay and more variation on the levels in the sense that there's more elevation and setpieces to jump onto and so on.

But they can't re-structure the entire game, the game itself still remains a bunch of levels that loop upon themselves and are connected to each other, a bunch of "spheres".

I prefer Odin Sphere single plane gameplay as opposed to dragon's crown golden axesque solution tho, sometimes it was really hard to "line up" with your enemy in DC, you ended up missing, in OSL, judging from the demo it's much, much easier to start and propely finish a combo juggling enemies in the air for long periods of time and so on, since movement is much more precise.

I thought Dragon's Crown was enjoyable if pretty shallow and I really didn't like Muramasa at all, beyond the art anyway which is a given for Vanillaware. I'll probably pick up OS:L for my vita and be just as disappointed with it as I was with Muramasa since the trailers and gameplay footage makes it look like it's pretty much the same.

I want to hug Mercedes

Going to just play the PS2 copy I still have sitting on my shelf that I haven't touched in two years. But I do want to get around to playing the PS Vita version of muramasa with the DLC. Bought the Wii version when it came out thought it was amazing but heard that the translation is a little bit better and of course the DLC.

I kinda want the Quatro version for the artbook, but I remember playing this forever ago and it not being great.

Depends what you didn't like about the original.
Again, the gameplay, menus, inventory and various systems got reworked in this re-release.

should i pick it up for my ps3?

Did we play the same game?
After you got the hang of dodges and blocks Dragon's Crown became a 10/10

Pretty sure he meant the new game has shit gameplay compared to dragons crown and odin sphere

While gorgeous, Odin Sphere's gameplay was boring and repetitive.

WHEN THE FUCK ARE WE GONNA GET NEWS ON THIS!?!?!

There's no big differences between the versions.
PS3 and Vita are lower resolution and the colors have slightly less contrast, that's it.

No, he literally meant that he didn't like DC and Odin gameplay, but likes the changes implemented in leifthrasir.
It's reasonable to be confused because his post was typed in a weird way.

Isn't this just the yearly art thing they do?
They showed girls with robotic dildoes once too.

Nope

No, it's an actual new game.
There's no information on it's gameplay at the moment.
Vid related is all we got.

I get that it's their thing, but I find it really retarded that they use the exact same side scrolling style for everything. Would it kill them to do something isometric or top down or whatever?

Yeah

Yes.

had no idea that mech overlooking bridge picture is from game
and dat music damn

Faggots hate money, don't they?

Fuck it, I'mma just play the PS2 game.

imo its just that in japan gaming PCs are really uncommon

It's funny because PC as a platform sounds like it should be the Nips platform of choice outside of handheld gaming.

I'll wager that it's because they haven't tried PC yet and new waters are scary for them.
Vanillaware is actually a pretty small studio, their game that sold the most only got around 300k sales, they must be scared shitless of trying new stuf that might lose em money.
Even though their games would probably make a lot of money for a small effort on PC.

EU release on the 26th, we lose again.
I played the JP demo though, the controls are buttery smooth and the art looks gorgeous, as expected.
Controls are pretty much like Muramasa's. I hope they offer a higher difficulty than the demo's, as the fights were pretty easy.

Parts are more expensive in Japan, and the infrastructure around the big companies' platforms is way better developed.
Still, PC is the go-to platform for doujinshi. Glad to see more of them coming over as of late.

I wasn't aware of the parts thingy so that would explain it. I think it's arguable that the infrastructure is better developed unless you are talking about physical content delivery.

I meant that it's easier for small studios (or circles, really) to be picked up by a publisher who has access to a company's respective development tools.

I guess that's something easier in Japan, but I'd love to see more companies actually embrace PC so they have the power to self publish, the reliance on big publishers for companies that produce excellent content in Japan is too much and even though I own consoles I would rather many games release on PC. Slowly a lucky few western devs have broken away from major publishing establishments or gone into self publishing entirely and part of that which I can provide no proof of is the ability to self publish on PC. I wish the same thing would happen in Japan.

nichegamer.com/2015/10/23/vanillaware-is-exploring-a-solution-to-bring-their-games-to-pc/
Never Ever

That statement is just a brush off, Vanillaware will never release on PC.

Most companies in Japland are small tight nit ones where publishers and devs get along decently thought.

DO NOT BUY THE EU RELEASE OF THE GAME, IT'S BEING HANDLED BY NISA, IMPORT THE US VERSION

Atlus and NISA are about to part ways, Odin is the last title where NISA managed to slither in their slimy hands:

archive.is/NW9lo

Make sure you're not feeding their cancer and import the US version instead, that one isn't being handled by NISA.

I've never played the original, but I have played DC and I loved it. I'm also a sucker for the art style. OSL looks like it plays smoothly on PSQuadruple. Is there any reason to play the PS2 version over this one? Think it'll be worth picking up in two days?

I've played the original, it's really clunky compared to newer Vanillaware games. There's absolutely no reason to play it unless you think being forced to fight through more arenas makes the game harder and more fun, but even then the movement is too odd for my taste. If OSL fixes that, it'll be fine.

None.
OSL comes with the original game in HD in addition to the "Refined" version.
If you want to play the original at some point, you can play the original, it's included and you can switch freely between the two versions.

well fuck me it was already expensive enough for me even without importing+tax

Besides Arashimaru the DLCs were great. Hell's Where the Heart Is is the best.