VR and 3D aren't mutually exclusive

Did VR kill 3D, or was the loss of interest in 3D inevitable and/or overdue?

Other urls found in this thread:

moriyashrine.weebly.com/dynamarisa.html
mediafire.com/?0viqt6msimiio
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They've been pushing 3D for a long ass time and it never caught on even remotely. If anything, VR brought it back since 3D can easily be done when you have a screen strapped to your face.

It was dead pretty much always.
VR might even have nothing to do with it because 3D doesn't really need any competition to stay dead.

3D is used in cinema so few people tried to implement them in gaming.
However only game to use it I know is that licensed Avatar game, so it is safe to assume it is bullshit.

I wonder if it would pick up by people starting to use the old blue/red technique. Like the one build in Minecraft but working.

Theres a Touhou fangame called DynaMarisa 3D, that has several 3D modes, including

It never caught on. Too finicky and unstable, requires lots of resources and prices are often exorbitant.

3D is inherently better than vr, just on a practicality level.

Goofy glasses and limited viewing angles and marketing towards TV killed 3D. No one wants to have those limitations places on them just to watch a movie or TV show.
VR on the other hand offers advantages when marketed at non-casual gamers. It combines great 3D with head tracking with it's primary drawback being resolution for now.

The 3DS is the only case I know of 3D being done right, you are holding the screen removing any viewing angle and focus distance issues while being able to turn it off when you don't want to have to worry about it.

here it is
moriyashrine.weebly.com/dynamarisa.html
mediafire.com/?0viqt6msimiio

What's funny is, the current wave of VR has the exact same problems, with the addition of no interesting games/software that supports it (unlike 3D which at least had 3D movies, plus plenty of applications/games that could implement it easily with basic video filters) and far more corporate backing for the same non-result. It's headed down the exact same path, but with even more money from backing corporations just waiting to be burned on the altar of consumer apathy than both 3D and previous VR waves, so any "crash" be it economic, in terms of consumer or both regarding VR will be even harsher than when the Virtual Boy tanked.

And yet, people still claim VR is going to do great this time, and that we're going to fuck our waifus with glorious virtual reality headsets to make it feel real any day now. As much as I'd love for VR to work in the mainstream, have actual games that use it rather than endless tech demos and not be ludicrously-expensive even before the more-costly-than-headset computer upgrades/new console versions needed to purchase just to make it work at all, I don't have any hope that this will work out. VR looks like it's going to go about as well this time as 3D TVs did, which is to say it'll be a massive fucking bomb and waste of everyone's time, energy and high hopes.

I'm not on the side of VR here either, mind you. As a person with -6.5 dioptre eyesight VR is even more of a hassle since you can't put those over glasses(stupidly enough, 3D glasses usually fit just fine over regular ones) and their lenses are not supposed to work with people who don't have 20/20 vision.
It's all shit, just different flavors of it.

3DS is pretty finicky about its viewing angles too but if you've got a New 3DS that problem's all but mitigated since the front camera tracks your head to keep the 3D effect consistent.

I completely forgot the 3DS has a 3D feature until you just said that.

What an amazing technology.

I bought and still use a 2DS, I love this chunky piece of shit

Too bad there probably won't ever be a New 2DS with all the hardware improvements but still no 3D

The same "hardware enthusiast" (read: trust fund manchild) crowd that used to buy 3D shit is now buying VR shit because 3D is a subset of VR. VR is the next logical step for them.

Side-note: I have a monitor that is 3D capable but I only got it for the 144 hz. I hope the move to VR will separate 3D from high framerate again so we can have monitors optimized for 2D high framerate usage and nothing else. I don't need that polarized double screen nonsense, I just need one screen that can change colors and brightness as fast as possible so I can display movements as smoothly as possible and with the lowest possible input lag.

There almost certainly won't, you gotta remember that as much as the 2DS is a functional and fine piece of machinery, it's still just the Fischer-Price unbreakable idiot child model of the 3DS. It's cheap and works so you feed it to your kids for minimal cash while core gamers buy the bigboy model to get access to the ~5 games that are N3DS exclusive. As much as I love my 2DS, it wasn't meant for us. We're the functional equivalent of high level Smash players.

It's a shame too because the 2DS is comfy as all hell in the hands and because of its L and R button designs they won't just fail and require constant blowing into like they do on a normal 3DS and the DS Lite.

Primarily I want the New 3DS improvements because I could use NTR to force games to run in N3DS clock-speeds so I could play MGS3D at a better framerate or play Hyrule Warriors Legends at a steadier framerate. Though Legends' framerate's already improved on its own even on O3DS/2DS through some optimizations made in the update patches, so who knows if there'll even be that big a gap between N3DS performance and O3DS performance with the game by the time Legends' lifespan is up.

How (well) does that work anyway? I was wondering if Code of Princess was finally playable on an N3DS.

Cuckolding speeds up games on the 3DS?

Nope. Most people I know who bought 3D TV's were people who didn't know anything about technology and just bought one because they could. If you asked them about VR, they wouldn't have a clue what it is. They are both different markets. 3D was advertised more towards the general public and watching movies where as VR is more towards gamers and playing games. What killed 3D wasn't VR but 4k TV's.

classic nintendo

Depends on the game, some don't get any benefit whatsoever and some get a pretty substantial framerate boost. Typically though if you notice stuttering or frame-drops in some areas of a game it'll at least smooth things out a bit.

It sure does, NTR's a program that runs in the RAM reserved for the OS while a game is active and you can push a button combination and it'll bring up a menu for you to do stuff. 3DS is pretty much restricted to screenshots, cheats, and emulation of other regions (required to run out-of-region DLC, ie Jap game on a US system) but New 3DS lets you force the system to run all games at N3DS clock-speeds (almost all games still run at 3DS clock-speeds) and a recent revision I recall showcasing an experimental streaming-video feature that lets you record gameplay.