Necromancy Thread

ITT: Post and discuss good games that let you summon the undead in your favor, or allow you to command armies of the undead.

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/kingdinosaurgames/that-which-sleeps/posts/1570609
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Diablo 2.
That's fucking it.

The developer of Risk of Rain was developing a necromancer game that looked very interesting and instead decided to make a gunpoint/hotline miami hybrid ripoff, Deadbolt, because it was easier to make and it would get more bucks by people sucked in by HM.

He's most definitely a piece of shit for doing that.

Is is so much to ask for a game where I can become an liche and retire to a comfy tomb somewhere to engage in century long plots against the living?

Wait, he did?
Never heard of the development progress. I need some fact to back that up

Spell Force has necromancy being a type of magic that can get pretty ridiculous. Summoned undead don't count against pop cap, and they can be summoned from the corpses on the battlefield. They are just skeletons and fairly shitty unless you dedicate yourself to it from what I remember.

Warlords Battlecry also has an undead faction, but I don't know how the necromancy actually plays there.

You can have skeleton army in Mount in Blade: War-sword. It's a pretty cool mod for warband that adds a bunch of fantasy races.

It should be a crime to post game that's dead during development

This is what he scrapped.

What are some games where I can use Lesbomancy?

That's ok tho, we needed more HM/Gunpoint clones, that's more important, that was clearly the priority in this industry.

(checked)
Fuck.
Did he said anything about this as in continuing it or something?

Ayy DmC amirite bros xD?

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Are they bullying each other with their tongues and vulvas?

Careful there shadow you might cut yourself

Fuck. Fuck. I was looking forward to that game. It seems like the closest you will get to playing as an old one is still Dominions.

Technically speaking necromancy is an evolved form of shamanism.

As such, it's applications aren't inherently evil, for example one can employ the use of a necromancer simply to speak with the dead, ask for information, connect the living family of a deceased back with it's loved ones in order to speak to them for one last time, and so on.

Just because most media and books depict necromancers as evil, doesn't mean they -have- to be in every setting.

The D2 Necromancer for example, wasn't evil at all.

Lich please.

Fuck off edgelord go play DmC

Tales of maj'eyal is pretty good for this if you play roguelikes.
You take the necromancer and spec right, you can become a lich after death.

Exactly what part about defiling corpses and using them as puppets isnt edgy?

Those corpses didn't have anything better to do. Besides there is nothing edgy about using the power of death to conquer death.

You don't understand what edgy is you stupid fuck, edgy is your posts, it's your 12 year old brother posing with a knife, not an actual evil entity being evil.

Ow the edge

You mean like you're doing when posting about your people-puppets?

Keep it cool there edgelord

Really?

are you okay user?

Christ I forgot how much newfags love their buzzwords. Another thread ruined.

Yes really

didn't you read the file name? Also
pls return to Leddit.

You mean the guys like you who love DmC?

you have to go back nothing personnel, kid

People give Dwarf Fortress too much credit, that shit's easy but Grand Strategy i have no idea what's going on.

Just filter sagey mcsage pants. He's just here to derail.

Seems like the last Kickstarter update was less than a month ago.
kickstarter.com/projects/kingdinosaurgames/that-which-sleeps/posts/1570609
I don't understand what you are all worried about, other than it being way passed the promise release date.

Filter him retards

^this

You're not on reddit, kid. You're the one that needs to go back.

Never played it. Just because someone likes playing as necromancer doesn't mean they're an edgelord.

Why haven't i seen this before

Buthurt paladins in the thread guys filter

Does DMC even have necromancy? I thought it had a guy with a sword and a gun and lots of metrosexuality.

The most hilarious things is when you kiddies who can't handle anything have to filter and retreat into your reddit "safe spaces" because they know they're a bunch of edgy little kids

It had the legendary "Fuck you" scene. The

No it's that we don't want to deal with faggots like you.

maybe 8dc487 is thinking of DMC:DMC the actually no fun super srs guys edgy one

I wish. 50% of these faggots are still responding to it.

Edgelord confirmed.

Would you kindly stop responding to it? It's just as much as your fault that the thread is going to shit if you keep going.

Stop replying to the shitposter who is trying to shit up the thread, just filter him and continue as usual.

Path of Exile was pretty fun for Necromancy. You can't get massive armies but you can have a decent amount of undead fighting for you and battles against other Necromancers are fun battles of attrition that are swayed by who can raise the corpses first.

Thank you for giving me hope user.

Is DMC:DMC the first one? The first one is the only one I ever played.

OP is the shitposter

Age of Wonders games had necromancer stuff in it.

Two Worlds 2 had a tinge of it too, but while the spell stuff was satisfying, I still wanted more from the necromancy bit.

There's literally only one good Gunpoint game and that's Ronin. Gunpoint's only strength is the music and Deadbolt is slow and boring.

The thought of some butt blasted paladin trying to shit up a necromancy thread is just too perfect

DMC:DMC is the shitty reboot

as for necromancy games, Heroes of might and magic three was the best for this shit
otherwise theres some mods for m&b warband that are pretty great

>>>/tg/

Take it to the shitposting board

its always the roodypoo

So how big of an army did you resurrect in HoMM 3? Furthest I've got was 1430 skeles, then some faggy elf came with an army recruited mercenaries and rekt my shit up. I pretty much kill everything because they're worth more as part of my skeleton army than living units, even if they're stronger while alive.

Don't worry, fam. Already filtered.

do the vampire counts in TW:Warhammer necro enough?

There was this one trick you could pull off in Warcraft 3 that gave you infinite skele warriors. It was great for raiding.

I'd prefer Tomb Kings myself. But yes Vampire Counts are necromancy while Tomb Kings are just undead.

I bought the game and the magic in the vampire counts is OP as hell because if the lord of the army dies then the entire army crumbles.
You have an extra option after winning a battle to use the enemy corpses to replenish your army. You can also raise lower tier undead in the middle of battle.

Fuck it i'll find a torrent right now

VC snipe spell will surely get teh nerfs

This is all you needed for infinite skeletons. It needs 18 housing, so it wasn't too demanding on size.

Get HoMM3 Complete and then get the HD launcher and some mods.

In Homm 5 undead campaign one of the missions require you to raise 10,000 skeletons. Which was pretty easy when the hero had a passive where all neutral undead creeps always join your army for free and before the nerfs brought by expansions you got ridiculous amount of free skeletons from each victory.

My favorite necromancy spell of all time is in Clive Barker's Undying. Mostly because its fun as fuck to use. It doesnt work only one enemies, but it also works on neutral living beings that are just there for backdrop. You can kill a bat that flies over you, then raise it and it bites enemies, same with rats. Or you can kill a donkey and raise it, it doesnt do anything but just the idea that you can is hilarious. If you max the levels of the spell you can raise all creatures except the bosses as your minions, even the bigger monsters that are basically like minibosses (you have to have Gel'ziabars stone in hand though for that extra 6th level). Funniest of all, if you used it on living human beings, they scream in terror as their arms move on their own and they commit suicide in front of you. The spell is also the only way to permanently kill undead creatures before you find the scythe.

How is Tree of Savior? Looks neat

Last I heard they shut out new registrations.

They were probably nerfed. Otherwise in previous HoMM games that army would be unstoppable.

Best damn necromancy game I ever played was a NWN fan modul.
Curse guards with blindness, gather different skulls to cast rituals improving your skeleton warrior. Was short as fuck and no hordes to summon at all. But shit felt right.
Else only the old Master of Magic and the Dominion games come close.

NWN?

Oh yeah, they sucked. Tier 1 they were peasants. Tier 2 they were ranged peasants. (Tier 3 they were one and a half tier 2 peasants). But in Homm 5 vanilla you got free skeletons from every single fight you won. So the amount of skeletons you had bloated to ridiculous numbers very quickly. Later expansions they nerfed it by giving a necromancy-resource for Undead, kind of like a mana pool that filled back once a week, you could raise corresponding tier creatures from slaying enemy creatures, the higher the tier the pricier they were.

Neverwinter Nights

Not to confuse with the shittier MMO

Upgrading undead, mindless corpses? How does that even work?

I always thought people were talking about the mmo until that user described what he did.

How's it compare to Diablo 2?

The MMO is Neverwinter, not Neverwinter Nights fam

yeah too many players, servers couldn't handle it at launch, they opened a bunch of servers but still can't handle load so they just stopped allowing new signups till they can deal with it.

You give them bit more armor than nothing, and a bow in hand. Or in case of tier 3, you give them a shield and a mace they can bash with.

It doesn't. The game is too different.

Not sure about HoMM but
For just some options

Apple and Oranges, it is closer to stuff like Baldurs Gate, and had an editor inbuild.
Most of the good things came from fanmade adventure modules or serverbased 10-20 people gameplay. The campaign that came with it was at best average.

Well I meant in terms of controlling hordes of undead mainly

Well in Conquest of elysium 4 the necromancer can upgrade his zombies and skeles with different armour/weapons like bows with banefire arrows (those do decay damage until you die), fancy armour and bane swords or chainmail and sword + shield for zombies.

This, just cause mindless undead can't learn on their own imperative and improve the traditional way doesn't mean they can't be upgraded.

Engine wasn't capable of doing hordes.
1 summon+1 familiar per char and the AI was already dumb enough with just that. Higher level you went for stronger summons like vampires, dead knight etc.

Dungeon Keeper, in a way.

I really hope this gets released
playing as the big bad is really what I want as opposed to the typical "plucky team of mismatched gender queer heroes"

What is it with Holla Forums and the constant obsession with Necromancy in games, and skeletons?

I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to figure out why the idea gets so much affection.

It is just that the idea hasn't been fully explored in games and so the allure of what could yet be done is always present? If Army of Darkness Simulators were the #1 genre of gaming, would you all be clamoring for other things instead?

1. it's a cool concept
2. it's rarely/never used (used right that is)
3. skeleton memes

If half the saleschart is full of one genre for a year or more, how would you even manage to not get sick of it?
In this case it is not only seldom done but next to never done right

There are so many incredible aspects of necromancy.
But there is definitely nothing cooler than the concept of having an indomitable, infallible, 100% loyal and uncorruptible army of undying, uneating, unsleeping restless dead at your disposal which you can just raise from the dead in the hundreds of thousands. It's the ultimate power fantasy. Skeletons are also pretty cool looking, they can range all kinds from eery to comedic to horrific and all kinds of things.

Is this like PoE where zombies and skeles are shit unless you farm like mad and spend forever building a minmaxed class using totally non-necromancy crutches to reach it, just so you can have less killy ability than you had using the thing that leveled you to that point?

Considering the RPing faggots its just more /tg/ shitposting.

I wouldn't be surprised if /tg/ posters are 90% of shitposts in Holla Forums.

Humans, deep down, have a desire to dominate. The ultimate expression of this domination is the control over a large force of men. The problem is, most of Holla Forums is a bunch of introverted faggots who don't like being around normalfags. This creates a problem. Skeletons are the solution.

Having an indomitable, infallible, 100% loyal and incorruptible best bro to help you fight off even servants of the gods themselves whenever they decided to get uppity?

This gave me a giggle

It's almost never done right. I just really like the idea of having a horde of disposable minions that i can raise. It's a feeling of razing a city by yourself without actually being powerful yourself. Military rts games don't have the same feeling since it's a big deal when a human is lost as opposed to having an army of disposable undead to eliminate the enemy.

Does not compute, and he could still die.
Try to find another one of those in a hurry, other hand you are never that far from some dead body.

Fuck off with your armchair psychology, skeletons are just cool dudes. They got nothing left to weigh them down.

power fantasy and not enough games let us be the big bad
and skellies are cute

This game at the very least had a kickass soundtrack, it was really very cool though. A shame it was among the worst cases of early access fuck ups.

Skeletons are programmed by necromancers. They don't have emotions of feelings other than what you give them. You faggots don't want to understand that, because you just want to see them as being misunderstood. But all they are is pieces of flesh and bone animated by magical energy.

Humans are superior to all races, and to the undead, in every way imaginable.

Imagine a fantasy game where you give your undead "programs" depending on thier intelligence rating. A sentinel program would allow it to defend automatically against attacks and also defend it's allies, an assault program would allow it to charge and a technique program would give it different fighting techniques.

Thats some real boring fiction you're spinning there.

They're decent with minion instability. Since Corpse Explosion is way shittier than in Diablo 2, might as well get the bodyblocking minions explode then.

I disagree. And I'm going to use as the basis for why this is not the case.

For the game, you play as a court mage who just barely escaped execution after cucking the king of the biggest nation around. You aren't too upset about that, but he also went the extra mile and burned down workshop. This obviously cannot stand. So you build up your own new workshop in a cave, and start sending out minions as per a strategy game.

You start off the game with just your basic magic spells for combat, and familiars to scope things out (wolves, hawks, and shit). You can also animate a few dead people you find in the cave with basic necromancy, but they only command you can give them is basically "guard me". Your main goal is to find this old necropolis tower (like the ones the Zoroastrian religion uses) with essentially unlimited dead bodies to take advantage of. As you move about the map to this point, you can start assigning points to upgrading magic in three trees:

You can use resources from conquering towns and shit to hire heroic NPCs, who are generally worth an entire army by themselves. You can also ally with certain factions based on the magics you're using in order to garner a good reputation around the land. The game ends when you claim revenge on the king.

Sure, skeleton programming sim sounds like a fine idea, though I'd personally take the specifics in a different direction.
I mostly said you were boring because you were so opposed to chipper skeletons and because you were beating the "humanity fuck yeah!" horse.

To top it off:

You begin the game as a decently powerful mage, with spells to avoid detection and all sorts of shit. You are also fairly near the kingdom capital, and make a long ass trek away from it. The game gives you all sorts of missions to gather power through NPC factions and so on. Your mission log with objectives always shows these, and each quest has the the objective "take revenge".

The trick is, as you go around, the king continually gathers new allies. Most of your missions involve people telling you about the shit he is acquiring to defend himself, and you trying to get the next thing to one-up him. At the beginning, he has none of this. He doesn't even have a court mage. If you instead just fly a familiar into the capital with an "assassination" command, you would be able to beat the game in about five minutes. If you go through the whole story, it goes on for hours and hours.

Conquest of Elysium 4 lets you be a wight mage, a lich, a ghost and( if you're a bad enough dude to become a one man army) a vampire. You can raise undead hordes at the cost of your sanity,summon ghouls and death knight and mummies and giant stone thingy spirits that fuck shit up with magic

Skeleton Necromancer in Diablo 2 was really fucking fun. I'm sorry you didn't have a childhood.

Again, I didn't say it was bad, I was just looking for the cause of the desire.

Well it's because Skeleton Necromancer in Diablo 2 was really fucking fun. There are no other games that really offer that (Guild Wars 1, by the same devs, has a watered down version) so it's a point that's raised a lot on Holla Forums, much as you might ask for more games similar to [insert any niche game you really liked here].

What game is the third pic of the OP?

Dominions 4

Hey, my shitty not-quest picture.
Neat.

For me, yes.
I like the idea of getting really nitty gritty with it, maybe it could let you assemble minions yourself after a while so you could have some 4 armed skeleton with horse legs or something.

Paladin simulator, derr.

Ideally, you would then use your newfound subjects to further increase your powers. In the late game you would do shit like capture wizards to learn about other forms of magic, fight lords in great battles, raid temples and ancient ruins to find mighty artifacts and forbidden knowledge and do all the things that one typically imagines a powerfull necromancer does.

That is my dream game. I weep, for it shall never come to life.

That progression is something I'd like to see trips man, kind of like Luka progressively getting more powerful in MGQ, only that instead of using your powers to avoid rape you take over shit.

On a more related note
ADOM has a relatively extensive Necromancy class. There is also a necromancy mod for Morrowind

I was actully thinking that the endgame would be marching against the gods themselves to steal their power and remake the world in your image. It would be suitably epic and a nice way to implement newgame+

Other features would include choose-your-own-immortality via lichdom, vampirism or sucking the souls of people. All with associated advantages/disadvantages.

The problem with Necromancy in a videogame is how the power you have fluctuates a lot.
If most of your strength came from just spells, you'd be a warlock, not a necromancer. Your strength comes primarly from a veritable horde of undead you command that includes some very powerfull ones as well.

The problem is that Undeads come from dead bodies, not the bees and the birds. And this means you need shit killed to make more undeads.
You could be capable of raiding a small village by yourself or with a small force at your command and gather a few corpses or even just go to a graveyard at midnight. But the game would encourage farming small towns for corpses instead of charging the bigger ones, since you lose part of your power (your army) in those fights, and the bigger the oposing force the more power you lose.

To counter this, you'd need to have something similar to hunting parties looking for you and armies gearing up for war. The more villages you pillage, the easier you are to find and the armies you'll face are tougher too. But this means that if a player farms for too long but not in an eficient manner, he'll have to face very big armies with his relatively small army.

It's a bitch to balance things out and the best possible solution is to give the player the ability to escape and make his lair somewhere else, starting again but keeping all the skills and spells he adquired, as well as a few familiars and whatever gold\items he can carry.

You just perfectly described Defiler Wings to the very last detail except you aren't a necromancer you're a dragon going around raping women.

But that's if you lose everything though.

Unless you're up against mechanical golems or whatnot, you're going to gain more than you lose in the end if you succeed in conquering a large army.

How is there only a single mention of a game so flawless for this? Not to mention all of the other awesome necro-y shit you can do beyond outright necro-y shit.

Tried that. Still can't get around raising my fame or whatever was needed to progress. Neat game though, if you're into vore.
The army part is a bit lack luster, though…

That's the keyword here. You'll stick with smaller villages because you know you can suceed with those, while larger armies are not so certain. However, the game has to force you to fight against those larger armies at some point or it's incentivizing farming smaller villages.

This in turn means you're gonna need to farm a sufficiently powerful army before that happens, which leads to meta strategies and rushing some strategy which isn't very much fun.

I guess another possible solution is to have villages only slowly replenish themselves. You raze one down and it's gonna be destroyed for a very long time until someone re-settles there. This forces you to raid towns closer to the capital that are better defended and atract more attention to you.
If at some point you get immortality in some way, (and it's a good idea to give it at the beginning of the game, actually) time stops being much of a factor so having to lay low for a century giving the land time for some new villages to crop up and your fame to diminish would be a viable tactic.

At that point, the game is about amassing the biggest and best army you can as you encroach on the capital and if you fail at any time, you're set back a bit. The more you fuckup, the more you lose and the longer you'll have to wait to farm for corpses again.

Have some kind of infamy meter, as it increases, more and better equipped hero teams come after you and kingdoms start getting worried about you

You could also have some sort of cap on the level of undead you could raise from a small hamlet or village

You do everything he said.

I'm not as versed in Necromancy as I'd like but what if not all souls are equal?
You could have regular peasant souls being enough to animate simple skeletons and zombies, or those could even not require souls at all.

However, to control them you would need to assign them to something else. Either a stationary artifact that stays in your base and is intended for defense, or one of your familiars\companions that can command undeads as well.
The difference here is that those artifacts would require special souls to be made as do your companions (both to make them and to improve them).
While regular corpses can be easily farmed in pretty much anywhere, the souls required for those purposes are rewards and somewhat limited. A graveyard of a small town will have only regular corpses, but a large city will have several corpses but also a corpse of a Baron or Paladin that you can defile for those purposes.

This would essentially mean that you can harass indefinetly small villages but your army won't expand after a certain amount. To gather a bigger army, you'd have to attack (or infiltrate) a bigger village. However since the game knows how many special souls you have and how many you can get from this village, it can throw at you attacking parties that properly correspond to the amount of danger you put to the world. Neither so big you can do nothing about it but not so small you're never in danger anyway.

The game could even be gimped against you until you gather those souls. So if for every Great Soul you can command 50 undead and you currently have 3, you can command 150. Attacking a city with 2 Great Souls means you'll eventually be able to command 250, so the game sends an army good enough to fight against 200 from the begining of your campaign, making it an interesting uphill battle that culminates in total massacre.

They forcefully holding her hands and telling her that she's a cute before asking her if she thinks they're cute too before finally kissing her consensually on the mouth.

Any good books of necromancy and shit? i need to git gud in the lore of the dead.
have some lewds as payment.

Because Necromancers are the best, who wouldn't want to turn a dead opponent into an ally?

An user recommended a Daniel Ogden's "Greek and Roman Necromancy" recently, which turned out to be pretty chock full of good shit, also thanks to that user.

thanks, friend