Brian Bendis Taking Over Superman (Maybe)

archive.is/ARAev

It's from Bleeding Cool so take it with a grain of salt but with all the hints that Bendis has been dropping, I wouldn't put it past DC. On one hand, I'd be glad to finally get Tomasi off the damn book (Jesus, when fucking JURGENS writes better shit than you in Action Comics, you know you fucked up) but on the other, Bendis is just jumping out of boiling water and into an acid tank.

I guess this is the part where Rebirth starts failing hard. Didn't even last 2 years…

Oh come on, Tomasi and Jurgens aren't that bad.

I actually managed to like some of Jurgens' stuff if only because he seems to be the only writer who tried to give Jon Kent some kind of proper character instead of writing him as an even whinier Superman Jr. while aping the Batman/Superman dynamic almost verbatim for Damian and Jon rather than trying something new.

Tomasi, despite tossing out all these high-caliber ideas that SHOULD be good, manages to make it all into an utter bore.

Of course, me liking Jurgens is a bit of a bias seeing how I really liked both of his Booster Gold runs. Tomasi does have some fun stories (Super-Pets from the Super-Sons annual comes to mind) but hey I really do like he made Damian less annoying (like his "I'm better than Batman" shit now gets smacked down by Jon rolling his eyes. It's nice to have someone other than Dick for Damian to play off on.)

Eh, Damian mellowed out years ago and gets called out way more often. That's not really on Tomasi.

The problem with Tomasi's run is that he's putting WAAAY too much focus on Jon, with Superman and Lois coming off as wooden parent figures. It's becoming more and more obvious that what Tomasi really wants to do is write Jon and he couldn't give a flying fuck about writing Superman, which is why DC needs to kick him off Superman and let him just write Super Sons, which is where his writing shines best. Jurgens is pretty OK but nothing exceptional.

Anybody but Bendis..fuck, who's going to bet that Bendis is going to cuck Superman with a Tyrone first chance he gets?

I'm betting on President Obamaman coming in to kick the asses of General Zod, Mongul, Brainiac, Metallo and Parasite simultaneously and then knocking up Lois Lane with one last night of passion before heading back to his own universe. Fast-forward nine months, Lois gives birth to Jamal Kent, who is bigger, stronger, faster and smarter than Jon in every way.

Of course.

First cosmic Marvel, now this. Whatever enjoyable corner of either of Big Two's universes emerges, Bendis has to show up and fuck it up.

It's more likely to be:

To be fair, Steel would be an awesome dad.

I'm jut hoping that one day Bendis and Johns had a fist fight in the parking lot.

Reminder that War Machine has a niece who Bendis could have easily set-up as the black wymyn who don't need no man Iron Man, but he created a completely new and much shitter character instead

Even the comments in the article claim the article's full of shit. Johns is the one who tried to get Bendis to defect in the first place.

Yeah..betting Bendis making a new black man named Tyrone..who's also bald.

He's gonna make Jon come out as gay, mark my fucking words.

Please, not like this.

No…just no.

Why did DC fight so hard to get him, anyway? I thought he's almost universally hated.

Didn't stop him from working at Marvel for so long.

It's the 90's old boys club. Bendis was working during the 90's, ergo he's set for life, along with Jurgens, Tomasi, and Lee.

Difference being Jurgens know when to not act like a complete twit..while Bendis doesn't.

That doesn't matter at all. Fucking Liefeld still gets work even though he can't draw for shit. Jurgens isn't that hot either, as we've been seeing in the DOS threads.

Again, if you were working in the 90's, you're set for life. Johns, Waid, Rucka, etc. A lot of these guys should've been bled out years ago, yet here they are, still making books.

Bendis continuing to get work has absolutely fuck-all to do with the '90s, during which he did small indie comics and nothing major.

He worked at Image, boy, even more so he worked on McFarlane's shit. That's reason enough for him to still be around.

Jon bonding with John Irons while Clark is in space dealing with some cosmic threat and Lois is on some important assignment wouldn't be a bad premise for a short-arc (at most 3 issues), but Bendis is NOT someone who should write it.

On a spin-off title that had little to do with the main event.

You're half right in as much as there is an old boy's club ensuring a lot of these hacks continue to work. The '90s have little-to-nothing to do with it, however. A lot of writers who made comics actually sell back then can't get work today. Bendis continues to work mainly because he's made the right friends. His friendship with David Mack got him work at Marvel and his friendships with Quesada and Alonso ensured that he continued to get work at Marvel.

Well, DOS ain't that bad. Fuck, considering the 90's had a ton of shitty events (except Valiant stuff)…DOS looks like a masterpiece

oh jesus christ no

Couldn't he at least do some street level character? Granted his writing would still suck but it wouldn't affect supes or any other big name hero.

People liked the Geoff Johns stuff up to New Krypton. People liked Morrison's Action Comics and of course All Star supes.

You act like Rebrirth was a big fix, yet Superman has no underpants, has a gay-ass son I don't give a fuck about and apparently his parents now died in a car crash.

No, they didn't

WoNK would have been great if they actually committed to it. It was an interesting new direction and all they did was show it off a little before backing out of it completely, killing off all the new characters (Asha Del-Nar is best girl), and making Superman take a shitty walk full of heavy-handed and totally devoid of nuance political commentary for like a year under JMS' direction (if you can call it that).

JMS couldn't even be bothered to finish that story himself. Same with his Wonder Woman

That run went on at least 6 issues past when it should have ended. Even a retard could've guessed the big "plot twist" early on. And for the life of me, I cannot enjoy Morrison's Superman characterization. He does not feel like a character but a walking plot device and hell, in the finale of Morrison's run that's exactly what he turns into.

I wish DC would give me a reason to like Jon Kent but he's literally just a naive, clueless idiot whose wide-eyed "innocence" is apparently a substitute for having an actual character. And it doesn't help that Tomasi has been shoving the kid front-and-center non-stop in Superman to the point where even actual fans of everything Rebirth are getting fed up.

That was from Morrison's Action Comics except there it made sense because it was caused by a literal evil god and not a simple freak accident that Superman could've stopped. Here, DC merely kept it in so they could point to it as "see, we didn't delete EVERYTHING about the New 52, only like 99% of it" to placate fans of that era and not because it made sense.

New Krypton should've been the new status quo but DC is absolutely allergic to trying anything new and good when it comes to Superman.

My nigga. I remember thinking that if DC ever broke Superman and Lois up, she'd be a great girl for Clark. It was already being implied that she was in love with him anyway.

I'm pretty sure given that's being used in Doomsday Clock that it's the result of Dr. Manhattan's meddling.

Jesus Christ, I'd almost forgotten how goddamn awful Grounded was.

Reminds me of Linkara's review of that.

Clark Kent? The reporter?

So who's gonna be his Luke Cage? Will he get romantically involved with Lois Lane?

In before Clark gets cucked by Black Lightning.

Whatever happened to Jamal Olsen?

Look on the bright side; he won't have the kind of clout to fuck DC to the same level he helped push Marvel.