Play Tomba! 2

That's weird.
What are some other weird changes they've made for western releases of older games?
Also, how hard would it be to put the japanese soundtrack to the usa version of the game?

There's Working Design's infamous change to Lunar 2, where you had to pay magic points to be able to save.

I can't believe some of the difficulty changes localizations would make, like removing Grant's knife throwing in Castlevania III, or completely changing up DMC 3's difficulty levels.

Ever seen the PAL version of the OP of the first game?

It's completely different between the JP/NA version and PAL version in terms of music.

Which one is better, the Sega CD version or PS1 remakes?

Tomba?

And yeah, it was called Tombi! in the PAL release.

Tomba was so fucking weird in localization choices, i have absolutely no idea why.

Basically anything done by

And there are actually Amerifags that support them. You think localisation is bad today? Ha!

At least with the internet you can look at the source material.

What's the dialogue in the second pic originally before localization?

We'll never know now.

From what I have seen of the Rayearth games and can understand with my terrible Japanese they were just normal mid 90s jrpgs made for a Japanese teenage (shoujo) audience.

Apparently, Tomba means grave in italian.
I guess it was too dark for a character to be named that way, considering the game is about killing pigs.

Fuck Working Designs. Sure it was great that they brought over rpgs that we never would have seen otherwise, but goddamn if they weren't the NISA of that their era.

I never understood how people can condemn poor localization today but have high praise for those fucks. They couldn't even release their games on time either. The Arc the Lad trilogy was delayed for 2+ years. Fuck them and fuck anyone who donated money to Victor Ireland's cuckerfuck kickstarters.

Isn't it weird how there are so many evil pigs in video games?

So, confirmed Santa's #1 helper is a squirrel?

I would really prefer if you'd be quiet.

For Lunar 1 PS1, for Lunar 2 Sega CD, in my opinion. Honestly you're still in for a great time no matter which version you go with.

The worst thing they ever did was make all the enemies in Popful Mail into bullet sponges because they were afraid of people who only rented the game being able to beat it.

For all their faults, though, they seemed to actually have a love for the games they worked on, unlike NISA, 8-4, and Treehouse who seem to have a lot of contempt for the games they localize. It's just sad that they didn't love those games enough not to butcher them.

Yes it does.
No, nobody would've given a single shit, it's unusual as a name, but it can be used as a surname in italian.

Also now that i think about it, Tombi can be seen as short for tombino, wich is manhole.
Or even worse add an r and you get Trombi, a declension of fucking.

Heh, maybe they wanted to make every version different for some reason.

I could always wear the pants

Sonic CD had similar treatment where the JP music was pretty upbeat and energetic and the US version was much more spooky.

grants knife throwing was removed because of growing concerns about gang violence

DMC3's difficulty levels are for an interesting reason:
for some reason it's illegal to rent video games in Japan. However, there are secondhand shops that will give you dosh based on how long it's been since a game's release.
LOTS of people use these trade-in places, so a lot of Japanese games are easy to attract people who want to play once and get the best return they can.

in america, however, the core demographic was still the majority in the early 2000s, and the rental market still existed. Couple that with how much many gamers hate to sell their games and a challenge seems natural for America

bump

mfw

But why would Japanese developers want to help the Japanese trade-in market? Doesn't games going in and out of the trade-ins quickly mean less reason to buy a new (and presumably more expensive) copy? I'd think Japan would reason that harder games take longer, which means games stay in the hands of original buyers longer instead of being in a trade-in store sooner.

Whether it's to avoid buying used trade-ins instead of new copies or to avoid renting instead of buying new copies, I'd think the logic that harder/longer games mean more sales stands regardless.

Its weird but its my favorite

What the hell is up with that image?

ask hotwheels

Firetires was usurped by an old, fat faggot who wants to turn this place into reddit and his son, get with the times.

oh so why are we still here?

just to suffer??

hotwheels also wanted to make Holla Forums reddit, in fact, he advertised Holla Forums there.

Only america got the music change for some reason. The rest of the world got the JP soundtrack.

Another fun fact: Nier actually means 'kidney' (the organ) in Dutch, and is developed by Cavia, which also means 'guinea pig' in Dutch.

Guinea pig kidney?

I am suprised no one has posted these yet.

On a sidenote; From what I've read, Jake from advance wars DS is a no-nonsense kind of guy in the Japanese version. While in the western version he is a wiger.

*Wigger

The American and United Kingdom versions of the Ape Escape series have different voice actors. The American version of 3 gives the main characters new names which for some reason are Japanese as well.

I think it's because some people care more about the LE crap that comes with the game than the game itself. Same reason people still support NISA.

I remember reading about some cheat in Super Mario 64. When you collect 1000 coins or so (which is only really possible when fighting Bowser), the lives counter changes to -25 and essentially gives you infinite lives, as long as you don't collect enough 1ups to bring the counter up to 0. It's only in the Japanese version, though, which is weird.

Oh boy, here's an odd one.

Killer7 had ghosts that you could talk to throughout the stages. The characters in the actual cinematic cutscenes were all English, even in the Japanese version. However, the ghosts mostly spoke in Engrish, as a lot of them weren't in any of the cinematics. They ended up garbling the ghosts spoken dialogue to make it sound like loud, muffled mumbling. This did make some scenes with ghosts less impactful, as the ghosts of previous targets you took out would sometimes converse with you, and they spoke English. It didn't change the story or anything, but some scenes near the end of the game became seemingly less serious because it sounded like an electronic blender.

The real interesting part is a spoiler though. End-game, and it is directly related to locations.

I can't find the exact source I read this, but there is a US state where a lot of the history of the game is related to. I don't remember if it was Washington DC or something like that, but the final hit is in Washington State. A character states that it's the heart of the country, due to it being a swing state. Besides the obvious name relation, it's meant to show how history is manipulated. Doesn't help that the Internet was shut down in the game's setting.

The thing I was trying to find though, was about another state. Basically, one state in the JP version was different in the US version. Odd change, right? Why a state, if it didn't change anything? Well, what if it was part of the games symbolism? The game is about Japan/US relations after WW2. What if the game purposefully changed it to show how media is manipulated between two different, opposing sides?

Too bad I can't find the fucking source.

One other thing. There's a room in the game the characters go into whenever they fight and defeat a boss, before and after. They walk towards the center, around a door, and head towards the exit. Most versions of the game gave it some generic name, but the German version called it the Knot room, because you walk around the door like a knot. It's the room that ties most of the game together, so it makes sense.

Pity the game will never get a sequel. We're gonna end up with NMH clones forever.

such is life in the europoor

Don't quote me on that but I think the school's name was Washington State School or something like that, it didn't have anything to do with DC.

Also I'd say that they should have not used engrish text to speech modules in the first place, but I guess that's ol' Grasshopper Manufacturer for you. IMO they worked much better when it was just a bunch of nip faggots scraping the bottom of the barrel of limitations and budgets than now that they just produce lul so randum games.
Fucking neat man, never figured out the pathways formed a knot
The first one should have been the end of it, the second one is better gameplay wise but doesn't make much sense within the narrative of the first. I'd play a third NMH just to see them fix some issues with the fighting system though.

Would you an animegao

I like western olaf better, and Sleeveless Nell is best girl

Wasn't that because of copyright issues stemming from sampling? I know the JP soundtrack sampled a lot of songs and shows.

Or maybe it was just Sega of America trying to make the game fit their "cool" image.

The school was based in the state, but the US's capital is DC. The game was hinting at information/history revision, which made sense considering the other stuff going on in the school.

They either had ghosts that were speaking obviously bad English or made them spooky and mysterious and unsettling. They said this was their first big push into the Western market, so I guess they thought it was the best they could do with their budget. The game took 4 years to make, and considering the quality of the voice cast, I think they had already spent most of their budget at the very least.

Anyway, when I referred to the different states thing, I kinda related the two when they were different issues. To be clear, it was that in the JP version, one state that was important to the story (let's go with Arizona) was changed in the US version (Alabama). I don't think that was quite right, but notice how they have the same number of letters and the same starting letter?

It was possibly meant to show how information can be manipulated between countries, for stuff like propaganda or something like that.

Like I said though, can't find the source for it.

That is really interesting.

Since wh ——– since when did Super Mario..Brother….U get here?

Bump.

what?