Dead By Daylight

The new Reddit/Twitch Flavor of the Month.
1v4 asymmetrical multiplayer game where 1 person is a serial killer and the rest are victims trying to escape a compound.

It's currently in beta, are any of you faggots playing it?
If you need a key you have to play some mini game on their webzone.

It's pretty fun, for a few matches, then the novelty wears off much like Evolve. I doubt it's going to last long after the beta ends, So I would recommend checking it out now if you're interested.

Other urls found in this thread:

beta.deadbydaylight.com/.
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If I want asymmetrical multiplayer I can already play The Hidden, what does this offer that a free mod from 2007 doesn't?

Also, looking at the steam page I spotted this:
"Deeper and Deeper - Each Killer and Survivor has their own deep progression system and plenty of unlockables that can be customized to fit your own personal strategy. Experience, skills and understanding of the environment are key to being able to hunt or outwit the Killer. "

What exactly do they mean by this? Is it just meaningless customization stuff, or is this some bullshit "I've played for 20 hours longer than you so I magically have access to improved health, stamina and I get to start with a rocket launcher."

cancer
cancer

this has been done better with more players in Warcraft 3 custom maps, like with Parasite 2 and Phase Killer.

i remember you could get drunk (screen would start waving around) and blow up a nuke in Parasite 2. you could bombard the planet and blow up the space station. that was fun
also you could sonic boom your bombs with the sonic suit (not that sonic) so they'd go flying into people

also forgot to mention the parasite could choose to evolve occasionally and when it killed people in parasite form they became parasites themselves. there were 2 or 3 evolve routes or something they could go down. they couldn't evolve all the way without infecting enough humans though.
there was also an AI, which could become infested but it took more effort.
it was like The Thing.
plus you could also do drugs, not just drink alcohol

Phase Killer had humans, phasers, and the phase killer. phasers and the phase killer could go to the astral plane while humans couldn't. there were all sorts of items like barricades and other shit, item combinations to craft stuff like some sort of black hole thing. see, these custom maps were much cooler than this shilled garbage, and they were just free custom maps for Warcraft 3.

yeah but nobody cares about wc3 customs any more past turning them into AAA who cares games
like dota

Only difference is that this game is 15 dollarydoos and not 60+DLC

If you are going to shill then at least tell us how to get it.

Top tier shit/shillposting right here.

Look at the title of Image I used in the OP. Jesus.

Its a free beta for the next 2 weeks. I was just wondering if you faggots had tried it, wew fuck me ayyy.

Just google it, beta.deadbydaylight.com/. They give out codes every 30mins or so, but you need to play some stupid minigame where you need 2 people to click a link. All 3 people get a code.

I don't even know why I bother coming to 8/v/ anymore honestly, this place is a complete shithole these days. No one actually seems play or want to discuss games here.

Looks like 8/v/ is so adverse to games they won't even play a free beta.

Eh, I'll see if I can get a key. If anything it is an hour or two playing the game.

I like to talk and discuss Games, the problem is that a beta is not a finished Game and the concept of free beta has been used by publishers in recent years, to excuse the shitty and broken release state of games. Sometime unfinished Games as abandoned after release, because the developer has already made the biggest profit he can expect from the game, during the open beta/early access stage of the Game. Then there are the problem, that it already looks like there is DLC planned for the Game, its bound to Steam and they advertise a Deluxe Edition with unknown content, until now.

And that just my general consumer objection I have at the moment.

Now I have looked up the Game and seen that the publisher is Starbreeze Studio a.k.a. the owner of Overkill Software, who is the producer of Payday 2.

I hope I don't have to explain you what a shit show and scam Payday 2 has become, all because Overkill Software/Starbreeze Studio became a bunch of greedy assholes.

The Game is a cheap copy of better Mods form Warcraft 3 and the Source Engine, made by a scumbag publisher. Do you really want to waste your time with that? And can you really blame 8/v/ to not be exited about this shit?

Hey, like I said I might be able to spare an hour or two in this. Hell if gameplay is as repetitive as it looks might as well enjoy it before it completely dies - and for free to boot.

Sounds like those shitty but enjoyable 'who's the killer/witch hunter' Warcraft 3 custom maps. Then again, I thought the same about Evolve looking like a more combat focused FPS Parasite, and it kind of was and wasn't, but didn't turn out so good. Never tried it, unfortunately, so I didn't get the fifteen minutes of novelty from the free tests. Not keen on the same happening this time.

Good taste, user. Used to play Parasite 2 with a neurotic hyperautist who liked to hotswap suits like mad for mixing buffs, it was fun. The problem with custom maps is that they'll always be restricted by the engine, though. One of these days we'll get that unicorn of a WCIII map concept turned into a good retail game, but this is probably not it.

I'll give it a try, but I'm not expecting too much from the Payday shekelmeisters. Still, thanks for shilling, user. Free is free if you aren't suckered by the marketing aspect.

Imagine this, but like Spy Party and similars. One of you is a murderer and has to kill everyone else (and last one without being seen for top billing) while everyone suspects each other.

It might be gruelishly difficult to program/code for a smaller production but goddamn if I didn't want to play it.

Go back to the shrek memers on cuckchan then if you can't handle us not wanting to participate in your thread for a beta "Twitch flavor of the month" game then.

*I might play it*

I've only played 8hrs of the beta it's fun but needs more modes

aaaaaaand this is a dubs thread now

Don't forget to , sage , hide and call OP a faggot in the comments

Forgive me for bumping a mediocre thread, but having binge played killer a bit- I haven't done survivor and may do so later to get the opposite perspective and figure out their respective problems- I thought I'd post my thoughts. Better than wasting a new thread on the subject and killing an undeserrving one.

Overall, this does seem a bit like Evolve 2.0. An enjoyable core gameplay until both sides fully learn it, after which I suspect it'll get very formulaic and very old, because while similar to a shitty but highly fun Warcraft 3 custom map, unlike a Warcraft 3 custom map, development costs & necessities highly constrain gameplay variety & potential content. The formula is in reverse, however. Instead of four diet Starcraft marines with power tools and peashooters hunting a monster down before it can get too huge to deal with from eating all the space antelopes, it's four dumb 20 somethings avoiding a serial killer until they can finish digging their hands around in enough rusty generators to open one of the exit gates and fuck off past the invisible wall, or else find a secret escape route of some sort, the only one of which I know being the MacMillan Estate vault that you can find a key for in equipment chests.

Just like Evolve, this sounds enjoyable in practice, and during the first showings in which the players are totally new or at best milquetoast, the formula works very well, with survivors having to be quite careful and the killer having to be very attentive. And just like Evolve, it seems like there are going to be a few key problems with the gameplay and design that badly torpedo the game's longevity.

First off; ring-around-the-rosie. This was Evolve's main problem from what I've heard, in that you spent most of your time either running away and leaving as few tracks as possible as a monster or tracking them as quickly and efficiently as possible as a hunter. If both roles are on the ball and the monster doubles back now and again over his tracks, the result is that everyone's running around the map doing nothing much. Reverse the formula, and what do you get? Four extra-stealthy bastards who you either have to chance upon or get a very good idea for survivor psychology. You often or at least occasionally catch up- you run faster in a straight line and while you vault/destroy palettes slowly, you can go about as fast as the survivors by just running around said obstacles- to sink an axe in their back, and then clean your weapon agonizingly slowly on your sleeve in a case of serial killer OCD before repeating the process. Assuming the survivors are competent, they'll never unintentionally fail a generator skill check (and thus produce noise) and never go above a crouch in the grass, trees, and neck-high cover if they can help it, let alone vault or sprint, reducing the frequency of these chases and their success. Silent running with few encounters, you kill two of them off or one on a bad round.

Secondly, an intentional flub-up on the dev's parts; no ingame VOIP. None. They previously had it, but thought it was 'the wrong kind of chat' for whatever reason- it was likely the result of their interpreting incompetent focus testers screwing around as some problem- and did away with it. Why? Because they assume people matchmaking together (which isn't possible at the moment outside of friends-only matches, resulting in a slew of disconnectors trying to find their friends) will be using some form of third party program like Discord. Since they're essentially hoping for survivors to just come in packs of four friends by default with the way they handed out beta keys, this must seem fine to them, but it's a critical flaw in that it means that random players will be completely disorganized and unable to coordinate in any fashion, while matchmade parties will be hypercoordinated with crisp, clean audio over any distance, at any time. That means communicating the killer's location, who is saving who, who is where, who needs to be healed, which generators to work on and which ones to intentionally flub up to run interference. As a result, matches will run the gamut between four panicky reprobates who you hunt down and slaughter one by one in true horror movie fashion, to hardened dickheads that you need to pull every dirty trick in the book on to get by, like hooking people and doubling back to wound the inevitable rescuer and potentially get a two for one deal, just to have a chance at getting a couple of them, with three or all four being a daunting proposition. This could be easily fixed by implementing proximity chat- which the killer can hear and taunt through, meaning you have to be careful with how loud you speak and have to physically meet to establish plans- and some kind of anti-VOIP program, but it's a tossup if the devs will consider such a thing.

Thirdly; the survivors are disgustingly, bizarrely survivable. Without the use of rare, finite consumable items, the killer cannot actually slash people to death. One, the memento mori, will allow the killer to personally finish off a single person in the round, which is somewhat useful, and the other extremely rare ebony memento mori will allow him to kill everyone at will, although this will come at the price of tanking his score compared to the main killing method; sacrificing. The map is dotted with meathooks, which downed survivors must be hung up on in order to offer them to the Entity, some kind of angry slasher movie aficionado cloud of spider legs who needs to get his daily fix of jocks, nerds, and fat-assed whores getting turned into meat confetti. Once affixed, it will take a fair amount of time for the Entity to actually appear if they don't make an escape attempt, and longer for it to start ripping and tearing. In this time, any survivor can come over and haul their companion off with a minimum of effort, leaving the rescued in a merely wounded state in which they slow down a little and whine a lot, which they can be healed back up from with backrubbing, or God forbid, infuriatingly efficient medkits. This is the only method of killing survivors without a consumable, and is incentivized even then by the highest point reward. As a result, you either have to earnestly, literally bodycamp so no one can come near, or keep a tight patrol on the area and loop back after leaving in hopes of catching the rescuers in the act or the beginning of their escape. You'll probably use one of your precious bear traps (as Trapper; the Wraith and Hillbilly/Crooked don't even have this) to slow the escape by placing it under the hooked, reducing your already minimal ability to trap survivors based on where they'll walk; bear traps are pretty visible, can be disabled with the only cost being a bit of noise, and are only useful against the gormless walking through long grass or the panicked vaulting through windows or running through doorways that have killer delaying obstacles like palettes, so this isn't much of a sacrifice, but still. If survivors don't try to escape on the hook, they can be hooked thrice, and if they do, twice. Most players will learn to wait for rescue rather than increase their death counter for an exceedingly low escape chance. You'll need to chase, down and hook the survivors no less than eight times for an autodeath, and more likely in the maximal range of twelve times. And a time-dependent sacrifice is going to take very long, which means all the more time for silent running generator repairs, denying victory of any scale.

Fourthly; the 'helpless' survivors have a fair few means to defang the meathook-dependent killer. Beside the already mentioned medkits allowing the healing of wounded status (although this doesn't seem to affect the invisible hooking counter/health bar) meathooks are tedious enough on their own, but survivors can button mash to wiggle out of the killer's grasp without too much trouble, restoring them to wounded and allowing them to run away on their own while forcing your perspective to face the floor, lending one to try and hug walls & terrain to minimize the places the dropped survivor can spawn back in and start running from you to retenderize them and start over again. If you're not near to a hook or don't have a trap to hedge your bets, it may well be better to just dump them on their ass in a bleedout state they can't get up from without help than to give them their mobility back. That's not too grand a disadvantage, except that survivors, if they loot or start with a toolkit, can flagrantly destroy your hooks & traps. Permanently. There is no limit whatsoever on how many objects they can destroy in this fashion, meaning that silent runners can, if you allow them, totally deny you the ability to get kills, since the only non-destructible meathooks exist in a single randomized basement in who knows what part of the map. The last round I did the other day had me kill absolutely everyone except the last player, who had the vault key and had previously destroyed all hooks. They'd also neglected to FIND said vault or to be mindful of which generators they activated over the course of the game, meaning the last three or four that were available were all in my slaughterhouse corner of the map, so I hunted them down in the general vicinity of the vault by chance and hacked them up, although I'd previously tried multiple times before they found the vault key to take them to the meatlocker, only to lose them right at the stairs to wiggling. They finally went down to me patiently waiting on the bleedout timer. It was mildly amusing seeing who was more stubborn, but I imagine that will last for only the first time you have to do this.

tl;dr the game reinvents Evolve's problem of a core gameplay mechanic being that one team is both highly incentivized to take no risks and highly capable of doing so at a reasonably low skill ceiling, resulting in a whole lot of nothing. This can be compensated for by the adrenaline rush of being a survivor if you're the sort who can wind yourself up with horror games or if you've got the sadistic streak to get a kick out of trying to get in the heads of your would-be victims, and it's definitely fun if you have a thing for cheap gore, bad actors and the rubber prosthetic'd maniacs that turn them into said cheap gore, but there isn't much to it and I can't speak to the game's lifespan being very long.

Despite all these criticisms, I highly suggest getting it while the getting's good if the game seems at all interesting in concept, regardless of flaws. I mostly got three-kill rounds with a few four and two kill ones and scarce one kill rounds despite the various potential troubles I've gone over, and without the use of consumables. Most players are either not going to know what they're doing or are going to be unpracticed in the skills they've started to learn or picked up from watching competent players, meaning this is the prime time in which the game is actually playable and enjoyable to any great degree, and there's probably going to be more beta players than purchasers. The beta key minigame goes up at 6 PM, although I'm not sure if that's East or West Coast time, or if it's localized by IP nationality, so either get three friends or get Holla Forums randoms. I strongly caution against a purchase, considering this is being published by Starbreeze, the recent acquirers of the PAYDAY franchise, who I've heard have been partially responsible for its going to shit from behind the scenes, although the lion's share of dickery is OVERKILLs' own, but having never gotten into PAYDAY, this is probably a pretty garbled, incorrect recollection. Use your discretion.

Thanks for the words m8, it's always good to have a level review between the hype and anti-hype noise.

If I've helped at least one user decide whether they want to have a free go at it or not before it goes to total tryhard metashittery and unplayable hide-&-seek, then I've done my job. I hope my textwall was useful to you. As a sidenote, I highly suggest watching some gameplay for whichever role you want to play or both during the install if you decide to try it, because otherwise you're going to end up as fodder. Better to have a good idea of the basics than to go in blind on this one, I think.

This.
The Hidden is at least good because it has more than just 1v4 players.