What really makes a lot of developers go greedy and turn their backs on a lot of their fans

What really makes a lot of developers go greedy and turn their backs on a lot of their fans.
If it wasn't Notch cashing in, or Toby Fox with his narrative pushing cancer.

What breeds more devs like Scott Cawthon. Who make a good but overshadowed game, then damn themselves to a single series for the rest of their career

Some are just one hit wonders, most of them are really. He would have done another Desolate Hope by now if he had it in him.

Put yourselves in the shoe of a game developer for a second.

You made a game.

Now you can cater to two different audiences:

Holla Forums, 90% of Holla Forums doesn't buy or play video games, they'll call your game shit regardless of it's quality probably without ever playing it, they'll never be happy with your game no matter how much effort you put into it, and on top of that dig up your personal info and anything you've done in your entire life that can be found online, find a single flag and then call you a shitlord and boycott everything you say or do from that point onwards.

The rest of the world, made up of casuals that will give you tons of money even if your game has zero effort in it and even if it's unfinished, sometimes.

The casuals also outnumber Holla Forums 10000000000 to 1.

Who do you pick?

This is why you never make a game with your real name

nigga toby fox didn't turn his back on his fans, the faggot worked on homesuck. he pandered to them plenty.

Feeling betrayed are you? Except that of those three only Notch spent a significant amount of time on Holla Forums and that was years before he sold to Microsoft. Do you have a real thread topic or what

Notch cashing in was the best thing he could do, he had a brand he was more or less finished with and made the money off of it, he sold it to someone who would get him more money and he became set.

Toby Fox made what he promised though, people knew what they were getting and they got what they funded, pretty simple.

Scott Cawthon is fine, he found a way with his art and a bit of thought into making a game that people want and made them he did, he makes what people want from him and he makes it fast, he should in honestly try to see if anyone can buy it because knowing the guy the money will go to a local church or something.

Guy also makes good RPG's when he wants.

First of all, the world is not exactly in a stable situation, crisis are everywhere and people are losing jobs, getting useless education and creating debts.

The whole leftist propaganda feeds on the assumption that people are helpless and some divine government is going to save them, so if it works, it means people are, in fact, helpless.

Now talking about Scott, I heard he wasn't doing well financially before FNAF, he found his golden mine there and, at least temporally, a stable job. If he risked creating another franchise or a standalone game he wouldn't only risk his financial but also risk not feeding his wife and three children altogether. Families are not cheap.

As to other devs in more stable and safe situations, it's just greed or lack of standards.

Fix'd.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest it's probably money.

But fuck what do I know.

Notch was a lazy, incompetent asshole that got lucky with a game. Toby was always a faggot and pandered to faggots since the very beginning.

Yeah okay OP you fit in here's your Holla Forums card

Also

You're only thinking of the career developers, the ones who are in it for the money. Someone with a love of vidya, particularly those who aren't asking for money, will make the game they want to play.
Maybe I'm biased though. If I were to make a game, it would be in my spare time and I would just shill a free download here. Abuse from Holla Forums is just par for the course.

They realized that making money comes down to how well you can exploit people, not how hard you worked on your "game".

Large majority are in it forr the money at some level. Hapy wishes and thoughts dont pay the bills.

Most of them are in for the money, it's a job that requires time, effort and personal sacrifices.
Making the game one wants to play and making money off it at the same time isn't mutually exclusive.

And that's why you probably will never finish a game, apart from the most rudimentary shit that will be called phone game tier.

Hell, even Bay 12 has a patreon.

are you retarded op the idea and concept of undertale was visible to everyone for like two fuckin years

it appealed and succeeded, it was only tumblr cancer that picked it up and ruined it. he didn't turn back on them once

Is English not your first language, OP?

Bay 12 getting donations isn't the same as some faggot like toby fox asking people to pay his rent when he works on a game. DF was largely self funded and a product of obsession.
Also, Scott is a huge faggot for making the same game over and over when he has some genuinely good ideas floating around in his head(see: desolate hope) Muh family or whatever is not an excuse to get a real job and put more effort into making the games you want to make.
and Toby is just an irredeemable piece of trash who advertised tumblrtale as an earthbound homage then delivered pure sjw garbage.
indieshit: not even once.

I love this place, but if Holla Forums actually loves videogames then we've forgotten how to show it.

Cave Story says otherwise, buddy

It reflects a much larger shift in business attitudes. Companies used to take care of their customers to get repeat business. A great example is airlines. Their commercials used to be about how well they treat you, because traveling can be stressful, etc. Now it's about just how inconvenient they can make it for their customers just to save a few cents. Today everyone, company, customer, whatever, is constantly trying to out-Jew each other on everything because that's where our culture is and it breeds constant stress and resentment.

I have to ask: Does Toady even bother to moderate the forums? Does he even use the account to do stuff other than to answer monthly questions and put up the donation report? If not, he likely has a (((community manager))) doing stupid image shit.

This is pretty true.

Companies will continue to screw over the common man because now the common man is too complacent to care anymore thanks to double thinking liberalism and promoting anti masculine and thought control politics.

what forums? I know he used to be a mod on starmen, where he engaged in a lot of cuck like behaviour.

is anything he said actually wrong?

Go back to cuckchan with your cuckchan memes

Look at the linked post. I'm talkin' bout bay12.

i wonder if that guy knows he became a meme?

Got you, I read that as toby because I'm some kind of idiot.
As far as I know the toady account is really him. Don't browse the forums much so can't say if he has any community manager types running around. he's not the only moderator though.

If I was Notch I would've done the same thing… mostly because after reading the comments whenever he gets mentioned, I would rather just take a payout and stop being involved in the project. The only regrets would be the inevitably salty feelings of my abandoned team.

Cave story took nearly 10 years to make and takes a little longer than an afternoon to finish.

Oh and it nearly didn't happen TWICE.

Apparently, according to OP he did bad because he did Undertale.
So, remember: if you don't cater to certain kind of internet autists you are practically a criminal.