Theocracy

Should a commune be allowed to establish a theocracy so long as that theocracy doesn't bother anybody else?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pN0cFJvGhmQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

aren't monasteries basically what you're describing?

No.

Why?

so a medieval christian monk commune.

Something like that. A commune where people can gather and not worry about working under capitalism to survive and instead dedicate their time to prayer and study.

Because communes shouldn't have the individual autonomy to do so, when left with the option to have a theocracy or not, they'll inevitably make the wrong decision. So under a global communist society, they should appeal democratically to their betters and allow the decision to be made on a national or global scale.

I'd bet you wouldn't be so keen to allow it if gross brown Muslims wanted to as well

I'm not opposed to Muslims wanting a commune of their own

Who are my betters?

The fuck does that even mean

The average person is a dumbass, even if they're a nice religious dumbass. We don't need or want a bunch of Heaven's Gate communes under communism where some charismatic nutjob gets to call the shots for his sheep. Instead, people who actually know how to run society and the laws they create should what gets to decide what's established and what isn't. Democratically, of course. But letting the blind common folk walk themselves off of a cliff is something definitely to be avoided.

Because when it comes down to it, the average individual person doesn't really know what to do, what they want or what they should want, which is why in communism, society will make those decisions for them.

That's sounds very bourgeoisie, friend

Hey, that's their choice to make.

p u r e i d e o l o g y

no, religion is a spook

Even if the religion is optional, (which i highly doubt it is in a theocracy), it's unethical because religion is designed to play on the desires and anxieties of stupid people and makes them subservient to a master. It is institutionalized emotional manipulation and indoctrination.

No, they shouldn't, a theocracy is, like every other form of non-democratic government, failure to change with history. Furthermore, it destroys the subjective ideal, preventing people from teleologically suspending the ethical and so destroys its own religion.

There can be *no* universal worship.

It would not be a commune anymore if it became a theocracy. Communes are stateless, and theocracies are rule by clergy.

Yui is a massive faggot like every other weebposting tripfag. Ignore him.

And why is there a need for autocracy for such a thing to exist?

There is literally nothing wrong with theocracy. You're infringing on the agency of religious peoples if you deny them the right to craft policies which preserve their religious identities and ways of life.

Wouldn't a theocracy be inherently hierarchical and incompatible with a horizontal society?

The one on top would be God, not a capitalist.

And who speaks for God?

Clergy/bishops

If it is respectful of others' rights, it basically isn't theocracy.

Either you are following your magic book or you are not.

spooky

So then it's not horizontally structured.

100% with you on this OP.

Made me think of this:

youtube.com/watch?v=pN0cFJvGhmQ

No, it's not, mortal men are not equal to god.

*God

Ebin

why creedfags are so shit at comebacks

Many religious groups do this, but they always have to look outside for additional funds. Often their proselytizing is the only real labor that they can sell since their religious prohibitions prevent them from other types of work. A farm can only sustain a group of people for so long if there isn't enough arable land. A group with excess produce can sell them at a market, etc.

What if they're Jewish? You're not an antisemite, are you?

No fuck off.
We know what the ragheads did after they established their shitty theocracy in Iran.
They killed all the communists.

They wouldn't want to, religion will disappear as people become the real subjects of their lives again and no longer have to attribute their own powers to a God above.

Put another way, if they have the power to consciously decide to create a particular system, and then also be able to carry it out, the conditions which laid the foundation for religion in the first place have been entirely destroyed.