Can we have a dwarf fortress thread

Can we have a dwarf fortress thread.

I'm getting really pissed off at these wereskinks.

>So-and-so was horrified by witnessing death recently (x5)

>So-and-so was horrified … (x10)

Other urls found in this thread:

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Item_quality
youtube.com/watch?v=R1gF0uhHsqk
youtube.com/watch?v=02nLHpSLTxo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Huh, so we're finally at 0.43.3
I haven't been paying really close attention to df for a while now, i've been playing d00d, what do you nerds think of adventure mode sites?

adventure mode wasn't really my thing. but designating materials is the shit.

wait, you can FINALLY do that?
hellitsabouttime.starcraft

yeah, caravan said they wanted "figurines" so I'm basically running an economy based around little marble action figures of the first 7 dwarves. (rest in piece fod ikkedsun)

It's not the wereskink's fault you prioritize trivial shit.

Did they fix cage traps?
Chokepoint everything with cage traps.

Assuming they haven't been fixed, make it so that there are no ramps connected to your entry area. Only have one ramp down. Now anyone on the hill above you has to take that 1 square ramp which you have surrounded with cage traps. None will get through.

Things can climb now, so it's harder to make choke points.

How did Fod die?

It's easy. Design the path to your fortress entrance like a tower defense.

Needless to say, I bought all kinds of shit from next caravan.

why

Do you do this every thread?

That seems more autistic than anything else here to me.

H'wat do you think, user?

Say what?

Wait what, does this mean the start of multi-core support and the game becoming playable with a 100+ dwarf population like in the .32 and .34 days?

Still better than my cat bone warhammer.

Legends say that upon striking an enemy, faint meows can be heard emanating from within.

A dwarven child made this amidst a tantrum spiral.

I feel like dwarf bone should be heavy enough to make a decent mace.

Well, the world that mace was created in is long gone now.

its like a blackhole, time slows down.

Dorfs are shit.

I really want to know just what the heck is the proper order of "masterful" "superior" and "exceptional" mincing.

You'd think "masterful" would be the best, but then "master" level dwarfs are fairly common. Therefore you might go with "superior" as it's literally on top, but then again, you don't know what it's superior TO. Even second-to-last place is still superior to last place. So perhaps it's "exceptional" then, as it's the one singular exception.

I think I'll leave "finely" out of the argument entirely, as I choose to believe that's just an antonym to a "course" mincing.

And I know all dwarf meals of that level of complexity are called a "roast", but you're not fooling anyone. That fucker made a salad!

he was eaten by alligators while trying to fish

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Item_quality

anyone else have dwarves that keep climbing trees and getting stuck in them.
at this point I have about 100 dwarves so I don't notice one is missing until

I thought that was supposed to be fixed by now, damn it.

I know it happens from dwarves using stepladders to pick fruit. If you're using gathering zones, go into the zone options and disable picking fruit from trees.

Trees are bloody deathtraps. That's why the elves are so adamant about protecting the trees on your land.

the weird thing is that it happened to a hunter and I dont have stepladders

Sometimes dwarves will flee or dodge up a tree, so hunters ending up there is not unlikely. Dorfs and cats share much.

This must be why they moved underground. Self-preservation.

I knew it!
damn elves!

interesting, I guess this is remedies by cutting down all trees.

If someone was scared and climbed on a tree he deserve death by starvation.

Is Dwarf Fortress really an autism magnet? I can see with Minecraft, which is a Lego simulator, but Dwarf Fortress is a huge amount of randomness, which autists don't appreciate much.
And I mean a huge amount. You can predict and plan most of what you need to, but it doesn't change that the smallest things can destroy hours of progress instantly.
Isn't one of the things about autism that you are supposed to dislike unexpected change?

next time you have bitten dwarves, burrow them in a quarantine room and drown them.

So how do i get past aquifers? I dont know how to use the pump

Read the fucking wiki?

Wow thanks for the help chum

Default question - default answer. Ask something good if you want a real answer.

Channel around a 6x6 block of dirt all the way down to the aquifer, Place a stone floor connecting the block and the rest of the ground, then channel the rest of the dirt under the block and then decontruct the block

Repeat this a few times until you burrow through the aquifer.

64 bit stuff nigga, which means more memory could be allocated, which means the game will run a bit more smoothly, which means your 3 year old for won't die from low FPS.

THIS IS THE FIRST STEP BEFORE MULTITHREADING.

Not really. Dwarf Fort doesn't use more than 2 GB of memory, so 64-bit only helps with some more efficient instructions (and vector operations if Toady is properly enabling optimization in his compiler).
64-bit is maybe some small refactoring to take advantage of 64-bit types (like possibly switching the occasional int to a long), but it's mostly just switching some compiler options and trying to get everything to link in the 64-bit architecture. Multithreading is a huge codebase overhaul. Don't expect it any time soon.

He only upgraded his compiler. The rest is the same, nothing changed.

Nah, mang, autists are all about some rogue-likes, and Dwarf Fortress and its randomness is very much inspired by that genre.

And I thought minecarts would be more safe to use this way

Dwarf Fort isn't really a roguelike except for adventure mode, though, and most people primarily play Fortress Mode.

People made them into defense,but using them to kill your own dwarfs is okay too.

May just have to try out the new version.

oh yeah, the 0.43 version

it's not fully perfect, but you don't need to make separate stockpiles, and makes micromanagering more practical.

Best update so far on my end.

Good idea.

It'd also be faster if he manually implemented SIMD, but I doubt he knows how to do that.

Getting a different compiler doesn''t magically make your code typesize-independent. He's got to do quite a bunch of work to make 64-bit hapen (since he didn't do it from the start) and since he's already doing that overhauls to improve performance are likely to happen and he'll know the entire codebase again and be able to multithread it effectively.

When do you think the myth generator will come in? It's tough for me to predict Toady's release schedule.

This thread inspired me to give dwarf fortress a try and holy shit anons, I think I could lose myself in this game if I'm not SUPER careful.

"Losing is fun" is the official motto of dwarf fortress.

It's the good autism. Like factorio.
Nobody is making music videos yet so far so good.

youtube.com/watch?v=R1gF0uhHsqk
youtube.com/watch?v=02nLHpSLTxo
etc etc.

Eh still not bad, they didn't make dwarf fortress the twerk or add some shitty pop lol so fanny XDDD music.

I always sing along when that comes up

What the fuck?

Underground rivers, m8.

Oh damn. Time to dig all the way down then.

This game is taking up so much of my time that I almost regret getting into it.

Everytime i think about going into Dwarf Fortress i realize that the crazy ways i try to make fortress defenses are always going to be wasted since Toady prefers adding worthless libraries and books in Fortresses.

Fuck you!

So last time I was in one of these threads I was making my second fort after dying to a necromancer with a wave of 80+ zombies, with only a military of 5 to defend my fort, then in my second fort pic related happened.

Now I've got dwarves turning into werebeasts left and right, with miasma and mass graves to sort out.
With only 9 adult dwarves left, this fort might be over soon.

It's not over yet!

I just want my sieges again. fighting giant monsters underground isn't as satisfying when i don't have goblins to feed it. This update was Toady basically finding a way to implement legends mode into fortress mode.

Yeah, every update must be all about military because its the only one important thing in df. Fuck you.

Assigned some of the migrants to military and they immediately begin beating upon this wereass carpenter that was turned.

Reading the reports now, notably the section about how this macedwarf punched the carpenter in the head for 4 days straight, but then the carpenter transformed into his beast form and ripped the macedwarfs head clean off.

reread my post nigger. i said it does absolutely nothing mechanically and it's not fun to play around with at all. Than i went on to complain about Toady fucking up the military.

Macedwarf got what was coming to him.

So what's the latest best video / video series to watch for complete fucktard beginners like myself?

Any older videos worth watching too for some specific mechanism / building / clarification?

I thought this was fixed

Well, this thread convinced me to try DF again, but I'd like to ask for some advice first.

In the past, I've got eventually wrecked by goblin invasions. It was mainly my fault because I really have a dislike for using traps and want to be able to beat them using my military. Is there any way to make a good and effective military that can stand their ground against goblin invasions and possibly nastier shits coming my way later?

I had a guinea pig skull murder 100 dwarves during about 2 whole years in the entrance of my fort after killing all my legendary military and leveling the fuck up out of it.

I fucking hate this game so much.

Make some metal armor and weapons. Dedicate those recruits to nothing but training around the clock. Within a single ingame year you have a game breaking squad of legendary dragon slayers. Unless they get caught in a web

Yeah, had to abandon my previous fort because of that shit.

Now, with my current fort I ended up in a bit of a problem. I've got a daemonic infestation and I had to shut down my magma forges, probably for good.

I hope demons and other hellspawn can be killed with steel and silver weapons.

That was a more simple answer than I expected, but I'll take it.

If you're more into the military side of it trust me when i say it'll get boring really quick. Dwarf Fortress is a game for the more creative people. I guess i'll try to just get into grand strategy or something.

You really need the good armor and weapons to do some damage.

I once had a bronze colossus attack and no one in my military could hurt it at all because there was so little steel. Then one recruit with no experience who was smart enough to grab the only steel battleaxe ran up and smashed that shit right into the colossus's chest, one-shotting him.

Was gonna put the ensuing masterwork statue in the dining hall but I noticed it was a statue of an elf so I melted it.

War. War never changes.

That's the domain of everyone who is emotionally stunted, including abusive childhoods. Autistics suck at socializing intuitively because they can't read your face, things like acquired obsession is born from the desire to be in control over something in their life which is itself a symptom of trauma and abuse.

Also sonic is fukin kool

It's also helpful to remind that 90% of autism is bogus, or self diagnosis. They pretty much follow up whatever drugs Americans are being force-fed by the FDA at the moment.

I really need to step up with my military and traps. And I prefer to make megabuildings. Currently trying to make random complex that fits all workshops with proper stockpiles. Should have done just fuckhuge apartment complex instead.

Keep getting my ass raided by werebeasts and 60+ zombie sieges by the second year.

Am I supposed to have a fully kitted out military by then? It seems like I can just barely start to equip my dorfs before the hordes barrel down at my gates.

Don't settle in evil regions or next to necromancers then?

Werebeasts are trapavoid.

Then learn how to use them and use the double slit method.

You can make indestructible and invincible forts with very little effort

These titans and werebeast aren't shit. My military puts them out in seconds

Just wait until you get a titan that spews web or a weremammoth.

Webs are a serious pain. I said this last thread but one titan that was just a blob of coral managed to take out a huge chunk of my fort just by webbing everyone who came after it, and beating them to death with its coral blob body.

How about you just make a sustainable fort shaped like a Swastika?

fucking stupid dorfs
why

Remember to always plant Dimple Bumps or Bump Helmets in the off-years of your Cave Wheat field.

That wasn't a bright plan at all user.
Guess you learned why areas under construction are usually locked out.

Adding to this
Alternate between Sweetpods, cave wheat and plump helmets as crops for brewing booze so that the dwarves don't complain about lack of booze variety. Similarly use non underground plants as cooking fodder due to seeds being easily available.
Remember to have an active cloth industry by planting pig tails in a 10x10 field.
Also expose your meeting halls to sunlight.

What would that look like?

That's a pretty good point for my low grade shitpost that I make in every DF thread

What's the best texture pack to use?

Not a fan of this to be honest.

Just ASCII.

That guy made a sequel?

maybe slightly bigger ASCII

dwarves are notoriously bloodthirsty. gotta confine them to burrows or they take any chance they get to engage in battle.

I can second this. I barely even have to worry about the cavern creatures because my average dwarf citizen is capable of punching a cave crocodile unconscious. The only time those ever threatened me was when the mayor tried to fight one with a mug and got eaten, but he was an asshole so that was okay

Hell I had a creeping crawler thing (the big-ass centipedes, I forget the name) attack a hauler once and he somehow made it dodge off a stairway and into water where it drowned.

Is the v43 version of dfhack out yet?

nvm

Is toady ever planning on adding boats and ship to ship combat?

I would assume so, though I doubt it will come within any of our lifetimes.

do you think toady will die before he finishes?

What is even happening

The year was uneventful because all the !!FUN!! was happening to the rest of your civilization.