Why is Steam bad?

Why is Steam bad?

Because Mustarbate Race faggots like to cheat like the scum they are, and if you get caught cheating, Steam locks your game away.

You don't actually own your games.

The general consensus of Holla Forums is that because Steam allows and can act as a DRM for games sold through it, it is bad and should be avoided. I don't like intrusive DRM, but the way Steam usually handles DRM is easy to crack and does not impact the games in any way, with the exeception of 1970's-90's game, which you should be pirating anyway.

Because you don't "own" the games even though they are digital copies and there isn't a way to own such a thing beyond owning whatever media they are saved into apparently? Oh also some autistic rant about paid mods (which can still be acquired for free) and the completely optional marketplace

Cause any form of DRM sets off people's autism here. Add on the fact that its from Valve, a company that's been shitting in people's Wheaties lately with the Paid Mod bullshit and its increasing walling of the market with Steam Guard, and its not hard to see why people hate it.

I still use it and don't care, but there you go.

I want to fuck Kirby

yes

Same reason nintendo is bad. They have forsaken their older fanbase for a new fanbase that will give them more shekels.

Inherently it isn't

Idealistically it's the police for the would be ghetto of PC gaming. Unfortunately however Valve essentially has a monopoly on pc gaming.

The only good to come of it yet is the fact that japs are getting around to porting to PC because of it.

Probably because most people have what they want.
Kinda. Its like a permanent rental that you keep if Steam dies. Like renting from a Blockbuster that went out of business.

Proprietary software and DRM. You aren't buying games, you're buying licenses to play them.

Steam doesn't respect your essential freedoms, and psychologically abuses you to buy more.

Now why would you lie, user?

You're a fucking idiot for taking Holla Forums seriously.

Why would I buy video games?

On top of what other people have said, one of the biggest pains in the ass with steam is that you need overlay to take screenshots and print screen doesn't work with steam. Really sucks with games that take extra steps to make compatible with modern OS, like Gothic.

You do keep your videogames that you had downloaded, and offline mode works.

These are the people who complain about steam.
Probably isn't old enough to know what a disc is.

Bad? I guess that's a matter of opinion.. However, Steam does have many problems

It's not. The only reason we are getting all these weeb games on PC lately is because of Steam.

just because something is cute doesn't mean you should stick your thing in it

You sure about that?

Nonsense! There is nothing wrong with wanting to tenderly love cute things.

How is it "renting"? The exe is still on your computer.

Why is GOG bad?

It's a bloated, DRM/anti-piracy storefront that has tacked-on and annoying social features, a marketplace that only serves to grab shekels under the guise of benefiting the user, and legions of under-aged degenerates who will defend the program, Valve, and every bad aspect listed here (and more) until they're blue in the face.

GoG isn't. In fact, GoG is the shit when they aren't being bullied by publishers

When steam dies all drm tied to your account gets lifted.

Fundamentally, and unavoidably, vid related.

But I thought I did it for free.

You've never owned your games. You have always just bought a license to use them which can be revoked at any time the developer/producers etc. see fit. They never do because surprise, it would be a terrible PR move.

Certainly not as bad as Steam. I pirate everything anyway though so I guess it doesn't matter.

What's so bad about Steam DRM anyways?

About that, what happens when I buy an old game whose devs aren't even alive. Who gets the cash? Does it goes 100% to GOG?

Nothing really. But DRM has no upsides for the buyer. It's pointless and annoying

The money goes to someone who bought the licence for cheap (see picture )
(somethimes gog itself) and gog.

Also this

Probably the company who owns the rights. Like if you buy an Ultima game then the money would go to EA, and a Fallout game would go to Bethesda.

Remember when the licence for Fallout 1 & 2 and Tactics changed from Interplay to Bethesda and Interplay (and GOG) said: Fuck it, you can get them for free!
And after the change they got deleted?
And then reapeared for over a 10er each? (even though they cost ~$1 on CD)

It brought ledditors and casuals to PC Gaymen.

It isn't.
Holla Forums is just being hipster tsundere, as always.
Everyone here uses steam.

DRM is bad by default. If you don't already have this mindset, it doesn't matter wether you use steam, uplay or whatever shitty DRM shows up in the future. It's all shit, regardless of how "crackable" it is

DRM

There was a time, before the 2006 universe switch, when indie games had to make a name for themselves either by clever marketing or word of mouth, and to do that, they actually had to be good, and could be sold independently. See: Cave Story, Ether Vapor, Knytt, Vanguard Princess, etc.

All of these are now on Steam and are overpriced and buried under metric tons of shovelware.

Can't even mod your servers in TF2/CSGO if it would cut in to their paid skins racket

Steam is a rental store disquised as a basic store. You rent buy the game but you never keep it.
For example nearly every game in there has a time limit. It will only be there as long as
EA games were pulled out and some marvel games as well from other digital distribution. Steams catalog is nothing more than a facade.

De facto you own your games so long as the government isn't legally allowed to send armed thugs to break your CDs and wipe games from your hard drive. Steam takes that away.

Overlay's more convenient than Print Screen, paste into Paint and save

>Steam launches before game launches again

I'd love the ability to pay (good) devs for their work, but the fat faggot is a fat faggot who I refuse to pay, and the people perpetuating the GameCopyWorld meme appear to be actively pulling my leg, so who the fuck knows.

Nigga we've been in the Berenstain universe since 9/11, at the very latest.

CODEMONKEY LET ME POST YOU GOD DAMN PIG-FEEDING KIKE

Because Kirby is all that is good in the world, and there is nothing left for Steam.