Waifuism & Vidya Games

Is waifuism killing video games or saving them?

Other urls found in this thread:

serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=63676
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pygmalion_(mythology)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

are dubs killing shit threads or saving them?

you know the answer already

waifuism killed jrpgs genre and jrpgs will never recover from this cancer

press F top pay respect for JRPGs

little of column A a little of column B

making waifus means making characters people will like

but it also means shoving a dating/romance mechanic into the game, which sometimes works sometimes doesn't

depends on the deliver and the game i guess

Waifu pandering brings in shippers, casuals, and dumbed down mechanics in most cases. I won't say it is always a negative but it seems to hurt games much more often than not.

saving them

(checked)
also saving them

Pure cancer. I would allow waifus only for the "hey I'm emotionally connected to this character", but it easily devolves from that to… well you know how things go.

I just keep reminding myself they're fictional characters. Seems to work.

Absolute cancer, just like this thread.

Wafuism should come naturally, not be forced like in Fire Emblem. If directly pandered to, it fails. All that means is having decently written/well designed female characters, and good characters make for good games (unless that's all the game has going for it and it still gets praise, like graphics).

It belongs in some games. Games that have some decent writing at the very minimum. It does not belong in the vast majority of games, both because of the clash in tone and because most games just don't have the level of character development needed for romance shit.

Which is fine, since games should be gameplay first, story as a framework and a bonus

As I've gotten older I've learned to appreciate 2D over 3D in some sad ways. A lot of girls I've seen over the years, as well as present, are just vapid, self-centered, and make themselves appear physically disgusting with tattoos and piercings and unnatural hair colors. 2D has made me appreciate who the better 3D girls are from the rest of them.

Killing.

SJW Emblem was barely hanging in there after Kaga's departure. Awakening was the series' final death knell.

It's absolutely killing them. If your game is so shit only waifus are the driving force that gets people to play it, it's fucked.

Play a good FE. FE4 got an updated full retranslation.
serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=63676

Pandering and focusing the game around waifu faggotry is killing it harder.

Fire Emblem 4 did the whole kid system way better. I use to love Fire Emblem but now its less about the gameplay and more a shipper's paradise.

Waifuism isn't the problem. It only becomes a problem if it is used as a selling point. A game can have waifus and not be a sack of shit.

If the gameplay suffers because the main focus of the game is the waifus, then it's doing a shit job as a game. Modern FE seems to be the perfect example of waifusim done wrong.

"Waifusm is entriely optional in both FE13 and 14.
Even in awakening if you never touch Chrom's supports, he gets married to someone anyway. All the other S supports are optional in both games.
I think you kids forgot what you hate the 3DS FEs for.

It is definitely doing damage.
DMC4 managed to have better romance than Awakening. 3 short scenes and characters are suddenly married. This stuff is not even written properly, it realised people are happy with anime level of writing and they just went with it.

I basically saying you can easily do proper romance in video game but current waifuism is just shit.

I would be fine with it if the character writing did not suffer from it. With the new fire emblem games you just get one note characters that sucks the main character's dick at all times its fucking boring as shit.

However the waifu shit is only a part of the problem with awakening and not even being close to the biggest problem with Fates. So I will say it harms a game overall but games that relay on it in the first place are being made by hacks anyway.

Thanks for spreading the word user.

I don't know.

I had a waifu when the term 'waifu' didn't exist or wasn't known in Western civilization.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pygmalion_(mythology)
I don't know why people think waifu is a new thing, or even a jap thing. Like most shit in the east, there is a more sophisticated idea that has been examined in western tradition.

This is like people who think animation or mecha is of Japanese origin.

People that get a waifu every other week are ruining waifuism.

You don't find your waifu, you don't pick her; your waifu finds you, she picks you. When it happens it's like all the planets aligning for a once in a lifetime event.

Archetypes and goddesses. What we create, such as that statue, embodies something we love – namely its archetypal features.

Most flesh and blood women today do not embody these things, so men have found other ways to invoke what they find beautiful.

Waifufags are deranged deviants not only perceiving world through their fetish, but they also force it everywhere and upon everyone regardless of how inappropriate it might be.

I got to ask, what are the differences between Fire Emblem games before Awakening (and post Awakening) that help make everyone here hate it?

What things did Awakening improve and also ruin?

Pretty fucking cancerous, not only when you use it in your marketing and its the only thing you have that would make a game fun, but when it infects entire genres on top of that

If "waifuism" was killing vidya, it would have been dead back when the Harvest Moon franchise started.

Shit story full of plotholes, includes a feature where you can marry almost every female unit in the game. This is one of the reasons why Awakening sold better and saved the franchise from the chopping block. Faggots on Holla Forums hated it because they are homos who don't like tits.

It doesn't affect jack shit. Scummy companies will always use scummy tactics.

I have a hard time believing that's the reason Holla Forums hates this game. Or rather, I just hoping
It's also a weaker game mechanically compared basically all of the much older game, the pairup mechanic is basically broken, with no risks to go against using it, and the maps are inferior as well. I haven't played If/Fates so I don't know if it improves any of that stuff. Seems to me that because "waifuism" appeared in Awakening at the same time it became casual, they associate the two things together. I don't think waifuism should affect how well a game plays at all. People just use it as a shield to defend games, while others use it to attack them.

I'm no good at articulating but here's my take
+Shitloads of supports, nearly everyone can support everyone
-Quality drop in writing due to the shitloads of supports, even before localization they were garbage
-on top of that, all one note characters due to trying to appeal to waifufags
+Return of the class branching with widened class pools
+Class skills could be earned from level up, so theoretically the more attached you were to a unit, the more powerful they'd be
-Actually getting skills encouraged grinding
+Combined with all of the above Awakening was pretty fun to grind in, if not to get skills then to see more supports
-Maps were all Rout All, except for one or two that were Defeat Boss. Seriously, no Fog of War or Defend for X turns, nothing.
-child system returning via time travel is a total copout to avoid offending anyone from having their favorite characters die of old age or worse
-even Lucina didn't have much relevance, she could have been easily written out but no, gotta have that female Marth
=story in general needed more development time, you can tell the Valm arc was rushed to hell when the cringy Grima shit decides to take center stage
-None of the difficulties are balanced around paired units making steamrolling common and the highest difficulties (Luna/Luna+) are ridiculously unbalanced, either it's ezpz (due to spotpass/streetpass items) or hawkeye+/luna+/pass/vantage+ illegally forged weapons hell

+FEif (Black Kingdom) got real creative in their maps, I enjoyed that
+fixed the class skills encouraging grinding thing, now you get everything consecutively past a certain level but levels don't reset so there's a hard cap
+personal skills are interesting
-game is split into 3 and they still reuse maps and gimmicks all the time, I was so furious when I saw all they did was scramble the maps in Invisible Kingdom
-there's no fucking meaningful options within the routes, the only choice that mattered was which game you bought got
-railroading full fucking retard main character
+characters are a bit better due to being a smaller cast (depending on which divided pool you got) and thus get more focus
-the children are pure shit though, god awful writing, no reason to be there, 100% optional and irrelevant, only exist because FUCKING MARRIAGE
-WHY IS MARRIAGE EVEN A THING HERE? THERE WAS NO REASON, NONE, ZERO oh right Awakening bucks and new audience expects it now and forever fuck you
-story is undiluted shit
=can't comment on different levels of difficulty overall, but hard/classic feels like usual FE, maybe even harder due to not being used to the new mechanics
=oh yeah there are now buffs and debuffs and additional shit attached to every weapon, that's something different
-I had no desire to touch the game ever again and have no hope for modern FE

(probatum est)
You know the anser.
Both at the same time.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Close enough.

Video games have always been shit

Impressive, very nice.

It's pandering garbage, just like forced diversity and its ilk.

Waifus will come naturally from attractive and decently written characters. Then there are games that sell on waifus like Kantai Collection. It doesn't bother me if the story, setting, or gameplay don't take a hit for it. Like modern Fire Emblem games.

I honestly wonder if Intelligent Systems lost all their talent or are just mismanaged. They used to be so solid.

Its literally pandering to the lowest form Waifu fags are just blind

If that were true then waifu games would replace LoL and CoD.

(checked) I didn't create Rachel, though.

Someone else created her. And most possibly not as her being a waifu in their mind.

Saying that the legend of Pygmalion is the first precedent for the concept of waifu/husbando is like saying that US superhero comics are a modern form of Graeco-Roman mythology.

The statue came to life by divine intervention. Rachel won't because there are no gods.

That's exactly what they are.

Maybe

That's a very shallow interpretation that user is just being a faggot, the dislike for the waifuism and blatant pandering to it is because waifufags demand games that are more simplistic and easier to play because they're in it for the waifus. FExSMT is the most blatant and extreme case of this pandering, but Fire Emblem's reduction of gameplay and it's overt pandering to waifuism is roughly proportional.

Compare and contrast with Way of the Samurai 4 where you can marry and rape whoever the fuck you wanted but the gameplay was still at it's core the old western samurai flicks like the last three vs the reduction of Fire Emblem core mechanics in favor of marriage mechanics.

Waifuism is nothing new

"waifuism" isn't. Pandering, however, often leads to shittier games. Not always, but usually. I'm sure some anons have already listed fiaa emburem as an example. Although I know waifus aren't the only reason awakening and fates are extremely subpar, but they are certainly a contributing factor.

does anyone else think cherche is the only really worthwhile female character in awakening?

Killing them.

Bioware romances are a direct outgrowth of waifufaggotry.

Killing. Waifu's are no longer needed, as I have already found mine.

I love you Yukari!

good taste.

I'd take waifuism over SJW faggotry any day. At least with waifuism you get some cute girls. With SJWism you get ugly trannies and you're told you're a horrible person if you don't want to suck their cock.

No, they aren't.

Greek myths helped to form an identity, be it for a single polis against another polis or for Greeks in general against foreigners.

Maybe US superhero comics served this function in 2nd World War but after that they were a mass-produced medium made to cater to an audience as wide as possible.

I beg to differ; Bioshit is faggotry more than waifu

It's killing them. Look at Overwank which sold on sex appeal alone to some lonely shitbirds

Our savior, checked

wow…no. It's one of those things that it's clear your "understanding" of the topic is so disconnected from reality, trying to explain it to you would take twice as much work: first to unexplain what you think you know, then to get to explain it anew.

Disgusting

DD is proof that waifus are not automatically cancer. Only games that have nothing but waifus are cancerous.

You did good user.

what are you gay?

Waifus were never a problem in vidya.

The abuse of them is the problem.

These niggers get it

Waifus are killing birthrates and thus the future of creativity. Inbreds and low iq mongrels will inherit the earth, nothing good will come from it.

So did waifuism detract from the quality of Jade Cocoon?

And you did better

There is some similarity in the influence of otaku on the anime/japanese vidya industry and the SJW influence on Western animation & vidya, I think.