7 vs 10

How long do you plan on staying on windows 7 for vidya?

Other urls found in this thread:

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj721578(v=ws.11).aspx
techraptor.net/content/microsoft-admits-some-data-collection-cant-be-disabled-doesnt-consider-it-a-privacy-concern
walmart.com/ip/46466408
8ch.net/tech/w7tele.html
archive.is/Quxps
archive.is/YDoXX
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

MS really brought my piss to a boil with all of the Win10 adware and spying update bullshit, so I'm never going to buy Win10 because of it.

If we hit a point where good vidya comes out on PC and only works on Win10, then I'll consider pirating it.

Fuck you MS for trying to install that adware trash on my system then, when I tell you to fuck off, you re-enable the update on three separate occasions. Thank christ I have updates set to manual.

Until ReactOS catches up to a point where a lazy asshole like me can easily switch over.

*Using Windows 10 isn't going to kill you bro, you're already using Windows 7 so its not going to make all that big a difference…**

As long as I can. Fuck Microsoft, they're not getting access to my lolicon folder without a fight.

You mean Windows 7 vs Linux. That's what I'm going to be upgrading to.

Forever.

Reminder you will be forced to upgrade sooner than the support for Windows 7 ends because new CPUs will not work in those OSs.

Im going to use windows7 as long as i can

Later i will switch to some Linux

Until Vulkan or Unstoppable W10 update

Yes. To Linux.

Nobody here is actually thinking of using Windows 10, right? The first version of Windows developed fully in partnership with the NSA?

Microsoft doesn't want that shit, user.

The Feds do.

Yeah, and when vidya that actually doesn't suck shit and needs these new, super powerful CPUs comes out, we can talk about it.

The version of Windows that has opt-out password sharing "features"? The version of Windows that periodically takes screencaps of whatever you have open to send to a mystery server?

Pretty much as long as I can.

lol

I'm too paranoid for that. Been saving loli for 13 years and it took forever for me to get comfortable with it.

And MS is going to give it to CURRENT YEAR man so he can have me arrested for jerkin' off to drawings. They can suck my fat, hairy, smelly neet cock.

OP here.

There is a solution. Run linux and in Linux run Windows 10 in a VM with "PCI Passthrough". Supposedly this allows near native speeds for vidya in a VM. This way Windows 10 can be safely controlled.

That’s because you’re not supposed to be. It’s a mental illness, you fucking psychopath.

I have a windows 10 PC for work and games. I basically have an entire plebsona for people to datamine and then I can do my private stuff privately on my laptop.

It's a drawing you autist

Actually I heard Win10 is only a stepping stone for a subscription based OS, basically once it is set up Win10 will automatically upgrade to "Windows" as they call it, and from then on you have to pay a monthly fee to use your OS instead of buying a license like in the past.

I can't help but think even normalfags would jump ship to Mac if that happened.

I don't think I can use Windows anything anymore, because I fell for the Linux meme and Windows just doesn't want to work now when I try to install it.

You're still getting off to the idea of young girls.

As long as possible, then jumping ship to Loonix and hope vidya support for that is good.

Anyone today has 2 computers and a smartphone at his disposal.

You all can keep leeching of Microsoft support for games and do all your CP browsing in linux, no need to worry, or just get a second HDD and install linux on that, it's not hard to grasp the concept of dual booting.

Also consider the fact that dual systems are begging to getting support from case manufacturers (pretty much 2 computers assembled in a single case, often one being one of those small footprint systems)

Later you may just need to hit a switch to change between Linux / Windows

*beginning to get*, thanks auto-correct

That would fall inline with what they've done with MS Office.

Why make $150 once when you could bleed someone for two or three times that over an OS' entire lifetime?

Christ I wish we'd have some major disruptions to the tech scene. We need more OS options than Windows and OSX; the latter of which is mainly for art professionals and/or hipster cunts.

I get off to a lot of ideas.

You mean young drawn girls.

What a pain in the dick. I want to play dwarf fortress and be able to browse for loli at the push of an alt tab instead of having to switch between two computers

get off to this *whips out dick*

Not even a pedo but wew

Until I stop being lazy and switch to Linux, or my next PC, whichever's first. Not a chance in fuck am I moving to 8 or above.

Shame I'll have to miss out on Cuphead, though. Looks legitimately fun.

We would need Win7 or the like to have its entire source code leaked.

Win10?

Never. That bloated spyware mascarading as an OS will never see my hard drive.

MicroShit can suck my dick.

I got off to that earlier, except it was a girlcock.

Is there a problem, officer?

DON'T REPLY YOU FUCKING RETARDS
Either he's retarded or he's "le epin troll." Either way, don't encourage him.

MS could stop selling it entirely, but so long as people can get it via a pirated copy, Win7 can live.

And I'm a bit surprised Google hasn't tried their hand at getting in the OS game. Maybe they're saving themselves for telecom shit.

InCase is good stuff, user.

Sure is.

Dude, people at Microsoft don't know how it works anymore. It's all legacy code.

I actually considered buying it and I couldn't find it from Microsoft.

forever.

I still use 486 processors to perform work. Hell, I'm even setting up some 8bit computers for more. What is the point of "upgrading" if you have to do the same shit forever, and can do it with the same shit?

I will use Windows 7 indefinitely. I used Windows XP for ten years, and I still use DOS. Microsoft fucked up by making certain versions of their products useful to the point where there is little to no incentive to move away from them.

Besides, when the last star burns out, I will switch full-on to Loonucks.

I currently run 10.

It works fine.

kill yourself kike

When it gets to the point that newly released games no longer work on Windows 7, I will simply keep a computer with Windows 7 running for general use, and build a gaymen PC with Linux installed and then use the virtual machine to run Windows 10 exclusively so I may play my vidya.

Won't happen for a while, possibly never if Vulkan can become more widely used than DX12

r-right?

I refuse to use an operating system that was forced onto unsuspecting users via deception. Since you already have it, it's not like it really matters, but those that don't have it should have some fucking dignity and not let MS do whatever the fuck they want.

dont think thats gonna happen
and why do you think there will be any newly released games worth any attention?

You never know what's coming in the future, user. Maybe something interesting will become available. Better to prepare for the worst and hope for the best than to run around without your pants because you're sure summer will last forever.

Why are you still using Windows 7? Don't you want those awesome new Win 10 exclusives, like…

hmm..
someone help me here

We could do away with pentium 3 CPus if all we did was browse the internet and watch anime

But anyone with the need to use a PC to create media content needs good hardware and either windows or ios, and anyone who wants to play the latest games will switch eventually.

The process of accepting microsoft dick has happened several times in the past and you could compare it with the process of grief ending with the eventual acceptance and submission, people saying they will use Windows 7 forever would be laughed at in 2009 by XP users

One of the best features of windows 8 to 10 is the usb enabled kernel. Now you can install windows to a usb drive for games and take your windows install anywhere and boot from it. It automatically reconfigures the drivers and all that so you can use different machines.

I use it for my games. Dark Souls III, StarCraft, D4. I didn't bother to register windows because I don't use it for anything else. The only problems I've had were loading and audio syncing on my old usb 2.0 drive. USB 3.0 runs just like my internal drive. I also use the drive to store my media storage which requires ntfs support in linux.

You can install it from a Windows VM. I recommend the shell commands from this article:

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj721578(v=ws.11).aspx

Killer Instinct man , for fucks sake it's a good game, better than SF V, do you niggers remember Killer Instinct right? well it came back , as a W10 exclusive

If I remember correctly, they did.
They were these mini laptops called Chromebooks. It was built solely for browsing the web, and it was supposedly horrible.

I'm planning on using 7 forever.

Microsoft can eat a dick for all the privacy violation bullshit in 10 and I don't see any new games enticing me to jump ship.

Well there's Cuphead, and…Well, there's Cuphead. Which looks legitimately fun, like Castle Crashers but with a 30s feel.

will probably kill myself before it comes mandatory

no

everyone's out of ideas and the games that are made just to spend millions on marketing aren't really decent or at least i can't name a decent one made in past 8 years
there's no miracles really

pinball with ADs?

I haven't heard anything about Cuphead being Win10 exclusive.

Gone Home 2

then why shouldn't i skip the extra step of having to change to a new OS and just go and play Castle Crashers again ?

Actually user, I think MS did actively stop selling it. I remember buying a Thinkpad back in 2013 and they wanted to charge me more for Win7 vs. Win8; and the Win7 version would just be a feature-poorer Win8 shell or some shit.

When MS wants to shill a new OS, they go above and beyond making the older ones hard to get.

Chromebooks didn't have an OS on them if I remember, I think they needed a persistent online connection to dial home to Google to keep them running.

Who even uses Windows? That's almost as dumb as using Steam

I fucked up. I meant to say "like Castle Crashers in tone". Cartoony and light-hearted. Obviously the gameplay isn't.

I'll try to find the article, it was after last year's E3, I think. They said it was going to run on Dx12 and be Xbone/Win10 exclusive.

It doesn't matter either way, because only a retard would actually get Win10.

They run a customized version of Gentoo but you can wipe them and install pretty much any GANUU+Loonix you want.

t. regretful Chromebook owner

only 95% of the PC market user don't worry, it's hard to spot

I looked around, but everythign I saw said Xbone/Steam with a possibility of Mac in the future.

Good news is I was talking about my ass. Found this:

Which means Win 10 has no upcoming exclusive games of value.

Win10 exclusivity is basically fiscal suicide in terms of sales. Usually MS just gives the dev studio a shitload of cash for the exclusivity and I can only imagine that this cash is as much as they're going to lose by putting it on an OS that no one has. They seem not to care about the brand damage though.

Google created Android, the most popular consumer OS in the world.

Chromebooks do have an OS. It's a custom Linux-based operating system that runs almost everything inside Chrome.

Because of Windows 10 I have been giving some serious thought into switching over to Linux as my main system again.
I am used to Linux as I put it on my laptop(s) and I work in a unix environment all day. Getting open-source solutions to most of the commonly used programs is not that difficult and the other stuff could be done in WINE.

Its the games that are a problem. I have never really been able to get non-native games to run well on a linux system. There's always a billion hoops to jump through and it gets kind of tiring, even if you get a game to run right there is always the potential for it to fuck up and crash. Sure, older games have all sorts of support, tutorials, and patches but newer games don't really get that benefit.

So I mean I guess I could build a dual-boot system but my problem with doing that is I really don't want to have to switch between operating systems just to play a fucking game. I could go full on console kiddie with it but that's saying bye bye to a sizeable library that I've built over these past years. I could go full on console kiddie but I would rather not be forced out of an option for gameplay.
But getting tired of switching OSs every time I wanted to play a game is why I stopped dual-booting linux in the first place.

Android's a phone OS thought, yeah? Or something for small devices? Point is, how many PCs are running Android? How many good games can be played on Android? Etc.

Now, is there a safe way to keep the adware on smartphones? apparently now apps have their way by using something called ad networks or something, is annoying, also, I wish the fucking thing stopped trying to download every update to internal memory despite telling it to not do it, phones run out of memory too easily even when they are supposed to keep their own pre-installed apps updated.

They will work.
Just not to their fullest capacity, since some of their features will be somehow locked for Win10 usage only.

stop spreading misinformation
new cpu will work with win7, but their new features will not work

Gee thanks microsoft for updates that give me extra work days. They practically made every retard using microsoft update, update. Another girl colleague update just because she was annoyed at the prompt to update.
Casuals submit easily. Microshit counts on this.

Never have updates been this forceful.

Is your office super tiny? The Win10 updates shouldn't effect enterprise-level OS deployments.

It's mostly for touch screen devices, mostly, but there are laptop-like tablets and I think a few actual laptops that run it too.

My point is that Google is very deep in the OS game, even if you don't happen to be part of their target audience.

Android 6 can stop using the internal storage and put everything on a microSD card instead.

If you want to make Android less painful you should root it and install a third-party ROM like Cyanogenmod. That way you don't have any OEM crapware and you have proper control over it.

Android is pretty bad. There's nothing better with the same kind support, thouh.

Exactly why anyone with a shred of dignity will never switch over, if they know about the shit MS is pulling. You'd have to be a truly submissive twink to bend over for Microsoft.

Yes it is. 10 pcs. We can't even afford server editions.

What the fuck kind of mickey mouse operation are you involved with there?
You can't properly lock your updates?
You're running websites off of a personal work computer?
You're running websites off of a WINDOWS machine?

Your company deserves its headaches.

Sadly my current phone which is a cheap piece of tech can't be rooted 100% apparently, which leads to most of the fixes not working on it, I'll try to save for a better and more "rootable" phone.

As long as Microjew doesn't force me to plug my nose indefinitely unless I install 10, I'm staying on 7.

I have a couple of Loonyx boxes, but I want just one Wangblows PC so my skills with the OS don't deteriorate.

Chrome OS

ChromeOS is not a good option for technologically competent people. Everything it runs can be run in regular Google Chrome. It's Linux with Chrome and without the ability to (easily) run "real" software, so you're better off installing a normal Linux distro.

Laugh all you want. After you come deal with our administration and cash limitations you will be mickey mouse.
it's a government science institution

If I have to, I'm installing Linux or ReactOS.

techraptor.net/content/microsoft-admits-some-data-collection-cant-be-disabled-doesnt-consider-it-a-privacy-concern

No more Microsoft products for me.

which one you got?

I had a seemingly unrootable one on Boost mobile, I installed KingRoot and it worked wonders where no other root tool could work.
Be aware it's the monkey paw of rooting as it comes with a cleaning software that will try to reign over all your apps and needs some good tinkering to disable.

BLU Dash Jr 3G, tried KingoRoot, it even fails to de-root it now.

There's absolutely nothing they could release to get me to switch over. I still remember that bait from the Vista era.

That is what I intend to do. However, I am not on the go enough to even remotely justify getting a Chromebook Pixel.

And my boyfriend uses Windows 10 on his proper computer…

I was on 10 for a while, but with DX12 not helping games much (and often being worse) I started looking back at 7.

I built an office machine for my mum with some new gear and old stuff lying around so it would be exactly what she wanted; she's never had a fresh OS without pre-installed crap before. When she booted it up one day with Win10 having put itself on there I immediately did a fresh 7 install on mine.

I'm sorry for your bad luck user

Meh, it happens, I just can't believe it has so little internal memory for something not that ancient.

Cry ad hominem all you want, I'm still gonna call you a creep who shouldn't be let near any child.
Sage because off-topic.

You can dual boot. Installing Linux doesn't mean you have to remove Windows, you can have them side-by-side so you get to choose which one to run when you boot.

Untill all released games work flawlessly in WINE and every upcoming release has linux support.

I would have thought W10 had removed dual booting. Good to know, thanks.

And you're under the impression I want to be near your kid.

Windows 10 is fine.

All these faggots complaining about privacy issues while using twitter, facebook, google etc = lol.

Probably dual-booting with internet completely disconnected.

The biggest percentage of users for Windows 7 are corporations and companies, in other words businesses in the private sector. Expecting them to jump ship to software that is straight up adware and subscription based, deliberately designed to datamine all your secrets and require an online connection to run is utterly insane. if they have to upgrade it would be Windows 8.1.

user lung cancer, skin cancer, stomach cancer, breast cancer - they are all different, but they are all still forms of cancer.

This for real? Is this hard to pull off for someone unfamiliar with loonix?

It's getting hard to tell what's bait or a legitimately retarded cunt around here.

Even with the text clearly making his stance look bad, it's surprising how much of a difference that makes. Art is a hell of a drug.

Kek.
Whoever made the original is a nigger
Change:

It's like you fags don't even RIP AND TEAR

It's a bit complex and your hardware have to support PCI passthrough,so you need to check every component.

It's real, but as far as I know it's hard to set up. You also need two GPUs with two monitors, one for the host and one for the guest.

Feasibly forever, it has absolutely everything I need for it and absolutely nothing coming out where DX12 is a necessity is worth it.

People are fucking nuts if they think PC gaming in general will shift to W10.

Why would you have a big problem with lung cancer but not any of the other cancers?

Every fucking time. Don't underestimate the stupidity of a normalfag

castle crashers was fucking shit

same thing happened to my dad's comp, had to pull the plug mid-update to stop it. fuck microshit, I hope bill gates gets pancreatic cancer.

pic 2 is your standard feminist

google docs/sheets is slow as fuck though

That's the point I am trying to make user.

I will probably never upgrade to Windows 10.

I'll fucking go Linux if I really have to.

Sigh. Well I guess that will be a project for once I have the money to upgrade my PC and have the time to figure out Linux properly.

I don't care about spyware and backdoor stuff tbh, I have a win xp netbook to keep my personal information. The question is, how well does Win 10 perform compared to 7 and 8? Is it basically just Vista 2.0?

Pick your poison. Plus the only time I have a problem with Google docs is when I'm trying to view something that's hundreds of pages. If it's just a couple of pages it's usually fine.

No matter how much microjew demands, begs and pleads I will not be downgrading to 10.
If 7 ever reaches the point were it becomes completely obsolete then I guess i'll just convert to loonix.

Man, I love Windows 10. They're so desperate to push that crap that everyone is finally noticing how shifty Microsoft really is. Feels good to say "told ya".

Fuck it. I'm just gonna play Factorio and emulators.

Microsoft is pushing and using every trick to do it.
W10 has already surpassed WXP in term of shares,they are hyping DX12 as the second coming of Christ,effectively upgrading without the proprietary's consent to W10.

How is irrelevant?There is only two assumption:
From this we get:

But since your brain is good enough to understand the difference,we can play videogames,see a movie,read a book,watch TV without losing our mind.Only schizophrenics and mentally ill have this kind of problem,and that's why the people pushing for pedophilia to be accepted are not us,but "respectable" idiots on Tumblr and journalists.
Finally,loli is a specific case:Japan has one of the lowest rape rate in the world,contrary to Muslim countries or UK(redundant hue),and they have far more people with a far easier access to loli material.Now take your cat and get the fuck out.

Come on, son. If you're gonna be a freetard, at least use a decent FF fork.

All talk.

Not seeing a very big distinction there, retard.

Do you seriously think that all of those posters are lying when they say they have zero sexual interest in actual children, much like none of us are any more likely to commit mass murder from playing GTA or Hatred?

Nah I'm allright with vanilla version. You might not noticed but I also run Gnome3, which I'm also allright with. I kinda like it a lot better than Gnome2. Now I just gotta find an extension that can bring up two apps lists, one global and the other is faved, ordered as pleased.

pls answer

And also, what's so great about linux? What's so great about it? From my experience most softwares run like shit on Wine. And I don't think that it can ever prevent backdoor hardware from accessing your data. If you're so worried about your privacy, just own two computers you dumb cucks. One with cutting edge hardware for games, the other one with a decade old hardware and win 98/xp for serious stuff.

This thread needs more Windows 7-tan.

been doing a lot of yoga, Jim?

I guess some emulators run on Linux, right? Maybe I should go full Linux.

Well at the moment the biggest thing is the fact that the backdoor accessing your data is the OS itself.

Performance wise I've heard that 10 is on par with 8, but DX 12 is only going to be compatible with 10, so there's that.

I was actually hoping that you were being serious and not just baiting. Shame.

If I ever make a new build I'm planning to try out linux.

It seems like a fun OS and I'm eager to see how I can bypass the limitations set by the OS itself, and see if I can actually run games and programs that aren't yet native to Linux, just to see if all those videos linuxfags share are for real.

I also have a pretty decent laptop I currently use for all my programming and photoshopping, so it doesn't really matter. If linux sucks, it won't really matter.

It could save a lot of money for the company, but then again, stupid people.

Never going to 10. Already set up my dual boot with Mint 17.3, so the moment 7 is fully dead, I can jump over easily. If you willingly go to 10, you deserve the shit you get for it.

Off topic, but is it worth setting up a NAS? I need something to store games for systems.

Rock-solid. Trustworthy. Customizable. Costs nothing. Modest hardware requirements. Actually pretty user-friendly at this point.

Tried Mint,it was pretty much Windows and the console command was pretty comfy,even if i know jack shit about all.My only problem is the soundcard doesn't have driver(Creative are niggers) and i had to revert to Win7 for normal use.
Ideally i would have used Linux for every fucking thing,Win7 for those games that don't run on Linux/Wine good enough,and a partition with Win10 with no internet for the future games.

Well that was my reasoning. Most of the business owners that would come in would be for small businesses, we even had a lot of startups get their network done by us. Fuck, most of the time they wouldn't bother even looking into any sort of business package, they'd just buy a standard license for every PC they needed office on.

Until I am ready to install Gentoo

This is pretty much my sentiments, I only plan to use Windows so long as ReactOS isn't quite caught up. Honestly if ReactOS could give me the functionality of modern Windows while looking and performing like Windows 2000, that would be exactly what I'd want it to do.

I don't care about fucking Aero or Luna or Windows Glass or any of that other fucking nonsense, if Microsoft wants to make that shit, make it some goofball optional update. They've been putting that shit into even the Windows Classic themes for Windows 7/8/10 and I can only imagine just how much memory footprint is wasted on features that I don't want.

Until windows 11 pulls Microsofts dick out my ass or enough games have openGL / Vulkan support that I can drop windows completely.

ReactOS will most likely never catch up, I hope you know that

We didn't know.

8.1 is a pretty decent extension to 7, other than a sprinkle of metro faggotry.

Maybe a newer version of Linux has got the sound card working. For example, my wifi module was tricky to get to work on Mint 17.3 (based on Ubuntu 14.04), but Ubuntu 16.04 gets it perfect right out of the live-DVD.

8.1 is tablet crap don't lie

I didn't make that and I don't agree with it, it just the only remotely related thing I had.
For the record I like:
XP
All the rest are varying degrees of shit.

Nah Creative don't want to use money and make a workable driver.There are way to make it work,but it's an hit and miss and still don't use the all the functions of the card since it's based on a older driver for a different card.

That's bullshit and you know it.

Occasions I have to use the metro interface are so sparse.

You know what? I used to think that too, I also thought it would never get as far as it has, but it's gotten pretty fucking far for an OS that everyone wrote off as a pipe dream. Right now the ReactOS platform uses 500mb of HDD and 96mb of RAM.

React has come a long way and has a lot more going for it than people ever expected. It's okay to think "this could actually end up being a good thing," you don't have to be Louis Cuck King and think "why would anything nice ever happen, I sure hope niggers can fuck my wife for me."

Linux is shit, Windows is shit, and Apple is the worst kind of shit.

98 had a neutered DOS shell without half the features of DOS 6 or win95. The only reason I ever ran it was DX support, the same way MS is trying to push people to win10 now.

This is one of the reasons why I can't use Linux on my desktop, it doesn't work with my external sound card/DAC which is a fucking shame but pretty common with Linux and non-standard hardware. Never ever going to change to Win10 though.

Did you even run ME? It was the worst until just recently when win10 took that title
It couldn't run DOS or win95 / win98 games without constantly crashing, I had that one friend that insisted on running it and at every LAN he spent more time trying to get shit working than actually playing anything.

>Nanami
>Voiced by Nana Mizuki
Fucking cheeky cunts.

Not that guy, but I once did a gig as tech support for Microsoft and good fucking gravy, over 40% of calls were Windows ME related, and they were all shit that no one at my support level could fix, we always had to send people up to tier 3 support (tier 3 were the guys who did the shit you should never have to do; like reinstalling the entire operating system).

till linux is more compatible with my shitty visual novels

no way in hell am I downgrading to a windows botnet with a number higher than 7

It skipped NT and a couple others too.

"Nana" is also seven in Japanese. The more you know.

I will get a machine that I will solely use for work and DirectX12.

The truth is only things I am pirate are anime and it won't last forever.

why do people want dx12 again?

its more compatible because windows 7 has issues with backwards compatibility, while playing THUG2 you have a blur that doesn't display whats actually happening in the main menu and whenever you go offbounds and in special or playing Thief without patches, plus theres some games you can't even install under windows 7 without a virtual machine

Because they have no idea how much better Vulkan is and their favorite AAA devs are being paid to support DX12 instead.

Of course i ran ME, i had way more crashes with 98 and let me tell you 98 got old really fast, you either had ME or 2000 before XP came out and that was in early 2002

Just noticed.
I know the first one is "window",the second should be "environs" and nana it's seven.

I tried before but some of the vns lagged like all hell. Sprite movement, menu flashes, etc…Then again this was a little under 2 years ago, so maybe its improved alot since then?

I don't know. I want work station, I consider it a bonus.

I ran 98 until XP, I tried everything in between but it was all shit when you grew up on DOS and were use to having some control over things.

off-topic here, but I think lolicon is alright. In fact, lolicon and childlike sex droids should be made available to everyone ASAP. The sooner we deal with pedophilia as a mental health issue instead of a moral one, the less kids will get hurt because alternatives will be available. Assuming lolicon promotes rape is like saying violent video games promote murder. Stop treating those you can't understand as targets for hate and manage the situation humanely.

So never?

LibreOffice sucks.

This. However, I'll would jump to Linux because Mac is still for fags.

My grandfather wrote 300 pages book in it, I don't believe it sucks.

Honestly, it boils down to whether or not you're putting in the time to actually make better games. A lot of people think that Vulkan is going to magically make games development work better, but it boils down to the fact that no matter how good the API is, people need to spend more time to optimize and improve their code or it's just going to run just as shitty as DirectX 10/11 does right now.

DirectX 12 and Vulkan are both hailed as the magic bullet solution to all our performance woes in gaming, and all it does is give you more DOS-like management in your programming because now you have to handle all that shit manually instead of relying on more interfaces.

That works out great for developers who actually put the time in to handle interrupts and improve performance. But just getting the programmer closer to metal isn't going to mean shit if they don't put in any effort to improve the programs.

And then there's the fact that Vulkan/DX12 is only going to be used in games GOING FORWARD. Most of the games I want to run will never have Vulkan or DirectX 12 implementation, and I find myself less and less inclined to try new games, since there's already so many games I've yet to play.

Libreoffice works, it's just a text editor with some functionality of a spreadsheet

too bad the social justice fags are going the opposite direction and calling people, who like lolicon hentai, pedophiles

So tell me, what do you use?

Fair enough user, I appreciate your dedication

If more people thought like you we wouldn't be stuck with windows

I tried to go libre office once and my documents would sometimes appear fucked up in MS office and that was as recent as 2012, formatting errors are inexcusable outside of college

It lacks a lot of the shortcut of MSOffice.

I just use a pirated MSOffice.
I heard WPSOffice is good.

I'm not saying an API is magically going to make games better and stop lazy devs pumping out shit, what I am saying is Vulkan supports Linux, winXP onwards, Tizen and Android. DX12 supports win10.

If you want to be able to choose what OS you play games on Vulkan in the best option.

if you want autism use emacs

Linux yes, WinXP no. I just logged into my dev account on the Khronos group to double check.

Vulkan calls for Windows 7 or higher, and only 64-bit Windows is officially supported at this time. There *IS* a 32-bit lib/dll, but it's alpha form only. There's no current official support for Vulkan for any version of windows before 7, so unless you're talking about a third-party dll that I'm not aware of, then I have to sadly inform you that Vulkan is Win7 or higher.

Until new comp. I'm lazy as fuck and probably won't be bothering to install 7 or learn2Gentoo

GO DIE IN A FIRE, WIN10-tan!

Nobody likes you!

That is disappointing, I read a while ago that they were going to support XP. Still my point stands, I would rather devs use APIs that let me choose my OS than be forced onto win10.

Completely agree. I wonder if the ReactOS guys are going to implement Vulkan support in some way.

Also interestingly enough, apparently the Vulkan loader currently only supports the Ubuntu kernel of Linux in ver14.04, 15.04 and 15.10? I guess Valve has really fucking railroaded Linux to one particular kernel with their SteamOS using the Ubuntu kernel, so everyone's putting all Linux development resources into Ubuntu nowadays.

Real impressive.

I know what are those. That is for coding not spreadsheets.

Boy, you don't get out of Microsoft Office a lot, do you?

And Microsoft is still absolutely fucking insane if they think "PC" and "W10" will become synonymous, user-satisfaction with W10 couldn't be described as high from what I've read on the matter (due to being very very brazen about telemetry and other tracking/anti-privacy or the lack of choice in the matter) and DX12 is a heap of shit nobody is developing for.

They're banking everything on it (up to and including trying to merge Xbox with PC) but it's just not gonna happen.

It's going to happen because the lion shares of Windows OS is made by fucking idiots,they wouldn't even know what the fuck is telemetry.

But you are right,people are not entirely happy about it.But they will grudgingly accept it as always.

If the day comes that I absolutely must upgrade for the rare few good games, I will either not bother and just move to Linux or I will get a separate rig for PC gaming only, the rest of my time such as internet usage, browsing, fapping, film and TV etc. will be on an older rig.

I'm going to Dual Boot in July. 7 will continue to have all my games and such. After 7 stops having security updates I'll then switch over to Linux and 10.

compared to XP and 7 yeah it was.

until vulkan gains decent support

or well really until the next time I buy a CPU because the i7 4770K doesn't support VT-d
fucking jewtel

no emacs is an operating system at this point

Until Windows releases an OS that has all the crazy 10 shit stripped out. If they don't then I guess forever.

I don't care. I'll lower the settings as more demanding games come out. Besides, at the rate vidya is degenerating (in the real sense of the word not the Holla Forums sense) I won't be missing anything by the time I absolutely have to get the newest shit to play games.

I'm forced to sue W10 at work.
It's….meh.
Better than Win8, but inferior to Win7. No fucking options to speak off. Everything of value is hidden and everything is made for mobile phones - the UI is sheer garbage.
And last, but not lest, the intrusive spyware embedded in this shit

walmart.com/ip/46466408

2D loli is legal in the US. You can literally walk into Walmart and buy this BD and an AR-15. Embrace the FREEDOM, user.
If anything you'll give the feds something to fap to before busting Ahmed during his skype call with his ISIS buddies.

Depends on what state you live in, though the general ruling in america is that porn and especially 2d porn is considered "art" and therefore protected under the first amendment.

ReactOS development slowed to a crawl for years because of the Microsoft investigation.
You'll also have to note that there's only a few people in the entire world who understand the NT kernel.

Tell me why I would use windows at all when every emulator works flawlessly with linux, and the few not shit PC games I like are either 10-20 years old (flawless in WINE tier old) or have actual linux ports like Civ V and cities skylines

Love the kmfdm style artwork. Wearing a shirt with the attak cover on it atm.

I gave up on modern PC games after Steam turned into pure cancer. If I play video game it's going to be on my 3DS or Vita.

I'm going to use Windows 7 for as long as it's convenient (basically my last year of college), and then when it's not I'm switching back to Linux. If I have to play a VN I'll just emulate through Wine or throw up a VM with XP or some shit.

Even that's a load of shit. Obscenety laws are unconstitutional and the only people that get fucked by them plea guilty like morons.
Any lawyer worth a shit would have you home by lunchtime, possibly with a lawsuit against the police department for the trouble.
That Chris Handey fuckwit is the only one I know of that did that, too. Even then the judge only gave him probation because they didn't know how to punish someone for jerking off to drawings.
t. importer/seller of lolicon goods that have been inspected/cleared through customs

OOXML and ODF interoperability is complete garbage. OOXML is a total clusterfuck and nobody besides Microsoft can properly implement it, yet apparently it is considered an open standard. Companies are co-opting the idea of open standards to make them de facto proprietary.

minus three years

Linux localhost 4.5.5-hardened-r1 #1 SMP PREEMPT

Like it has been mentioned before in this thread:

Use PCIe Hardware Passthrough with VT-D on Intel CPU's.

All you need for best performance is a second screen. You pass through your GPU to the virtual machine and most of your cores from the CPU and then you run Win 10 in your Linux Distro of your choice, you can control it and best of all not store it on your damn PC.

The performance is about 95% to the original, since you can't fully utilize the CPU since the linux distro needs to be running on the side. Though the new skylake CPU's from intel are pretty darn amazing at virtualizing.

Also this shit ain't that hard, anyone who has at least some knowledge of PC's can do it, there are even youtube, step by step tutorials, so none of you have any excuse to continue Microshits dick and not switch to a completely free OS.

8ch.net/tech/w7tele.html
ReactOS is currently in version 0.4.1.

Windows 7 is safer than 10.The updates can be deleted(or blocked entirely) while you can't really block W10 updates nor the telemetry.

Does it have killer instinct? Than I am gonna stick with 10.

Apply the fixes you posted in that html if they apply and it is safer

But I'm on 8.1 with Classic Shell.

Nigga plz you have a month to automagically restore any previous install takes all of 15 minutes then you put GWX control panel on it in monitoring mode and Win 10 won't ever bother you again, 20 minute fix.

I'll just stick with my lobotimized 8.1 with classic shell until PCI passthroughs become simple enough for the common Winblows user.

you're kidding right? Vista was a terribly unstable OS

Win 7 as long as games keep working on it.
Linux after they stop, more games should support vulkan by that time.

I ain't letting you or the US government spy on me, Bill.

Personally I have no problem with lolis and lolicons, I just think they're kinda overrated, and I'm not into lolis myself. It seems like there's not much variety if you like only lolis too aside from whatever you stick on them.

I've yet to see any true correlation of loli stuff causing pedophilia, except for old ass shit like Mad Thad, who clearly isn't the standard case. The worst I've seen from lolicons is shitposting along the lines of "HAHA LOOKS LIKE WE GOT A FAGGOT WHO LIKES STUFF OTHER THAN LOLI". I have the gut feeling that pedos who are also lolicons are just part of a square/rectangle rule. Little girls in real life are the most PD of all 3D, save those who browse Tumblr.

In short, lolicons are annoying, but not dangerous.

This. It helps a lot that almost every single video game out there that could be released specifically for Win10 only is gonna be shit.

hmm..

Also, if you would even consider pirating windows 10 for the sake of a "windows 10 exclusive" videogame, you're part of the cancer killing everything.

Until it loses support. Then I'm done with Windows.

Luckily, the timing is pretty good, as GNU+Linux has been getting a lot more love lately.

Until Linux garners widespread support. Using Steam as an example, right now about 1/3 of Steam's library has Linux support. Get that to 2/3 and get all my necessary painting software on Linux and we'll talk.

You mean a p2p client…?

Win10 is free though.

Not anymore, or at least won't be soon.

As long as the games run. W10 looks like a complete fucking crapshoot no matter how you look at it.
I only got it installed in 2012 or so when games started actually requiring x64 and DX10+

They put the same spyware / adware bullshit in win7. Basically if you upgraded after around July/August 2015 you're probably being spied on. Refer to

KB 3022345, 3068708, 3075249, and 3080149

That's why you remove all those updates, disable all the associated reporting/telemetry services and turn off updates.

Speaking of Windows 7, I'm having a bit of trouble installing it.
Here's the story:
help

already posted in the tech questions and support thread, expecting people to tell to me how retarded I am for one reason or another, mostly because I didn't install Linux instead.

As long as 7 has support, I'll use it. After that I will finally be free from this microshit fuckhole.

until all games i like work on linux

I liked her older sister more.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as free, is in fact, proprietary/gratis, or as I've recently taken to calling it, proprietary plus gratis.

This is what confuses me with the loli==pedo crowd. Loli is where the gap between 2D and 3D is at its widest. I find real children in any context awful to be around.

Is that really the worst? Most of that, be it loli or other fetishes, isn't serious at all. I've shitposted about the superiority of both lolis and milfs, delicious brown and pale white, girls, futas, boys, furry, scalie (alternately boobed and flat), clang, xeno, anti-species-mixing pure human, even pozposting and pinatas. I doubt most of the other people are much more sincere in claiming the supremacy of their fetish.

Nothing in this post should be misconstrued as an admission that I like loli. I totally, definitely do not, and I am eternally glad that my country's courts have ruled that imaginary characters can be the victims of real crimes.

I would say that anyone who would willingly go through all the trouble of trying to de-spyware win10 should just swallow their pride and switch to linux. For all the complaints people have about having to learn linux, how is it any less convenient than having to learn how to strip win10 of it's "features" with random applications you downloaded off the internet?

There's actually been a shift in their paradigm lately, now if you like anime women with big tits you're a lolicon, since they don't understand what the word means and they don't fact check anything.
Then you have the same group or a sub-group that has budded from SJW mentality who are slightly more liberal that support pedophilia and advocate for it along with sex rights of children. See: allison rapp
The sjw crowd is like cancer, that has cancer, forming nodules that slightly differ in what they find acceptable but still adhering to many core philosophies of the host, eventually there's more nodules that host, and none of the nodules make any sense as they fight for dominance of the host cancer.
So sjw eventually becomes equal parts anti-X and pro-X, like how they are now complaining that homosexuals are bigoted and anti-progressive because they don't want to fuck trannies that claim to be the same sex (in their head) but are the opposite, while still fighting for "gay rights".

The japs need to make a comic where xp-tan is in a life support tube in a government facility, vista-tan is homeless, 7-tan is being shoved into retirement by 8-tan who is later abducted by a black van and dumped in a river, and 10-tan works backwards to eliminate all the previous tan's, meanwhile 98-tan's grave is dug up and she's being revived in a basement.

install some GNU/Linux first

They're not the problem, you are. Who the fuck is autistic enough to argue their fetish being superior or inferior? It doesn't work that way

Go be a nigger somewhere else

Stop being silly, you just described every fucking windows post xp

Because they were built off Vista's foundation

It's all shit, but everyone should blame the source of the problem

Before this order I had a dualboot win8.1 and Mint installed. Mint wasn't very stable and I get easily frustrated with terminal and how obnoxious it is to install and launch non-SoftwareManager programs and games.

ordeal
nice trips though

until I port to linux completely.
Windows 10 is one of those shitty fucking 2000s "desktop assistant" spyware in OS form. it has no redeeming qualities.

And of course, because those most vocally pro-gay are also the most pro-tranny, they're making it harder for homosexuality to be accepted by association.
Whoever had the idea of slapping the T onto LGBT was a genius. There's such a fundamental difference between the two I don't understand how anyone was convinced to group them together.

8.1 is ways faster, why would anyone still use 7

10 is ways faster, why would anyone still use 7
11 is ways faster, why would anyone still use 10
12 is ways faster, why would anyone still use 11
13 is ways faster, why would anyone still use 12
14 is ways faster, why would anyone still use 13

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as "free", is in fact, gratis/free, or as I've recently taken to calling it, gratis plus free. "Free" is not a concept unto itself, but rather another component of a fully functioning homonym made useful by the phonemes, syllables and vital syntax components comprising a full word as defined by Leonard Bloomfield.

Many English speakers use the word "free" ambiguously every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the meaning of "free" which is widely used today is often the one of "gratis", and many of its users are not aware that it can also mean "libre", referring to freedom.

There really is a "gratis", and these people are talking about it, but it is just one meaning of the word they use. "Gratis" is the meaning: the syntactical element in the word that conveys the word's meaning to the other people you communicate with. The meaning is an essential part of the word, but can't be used by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete word. "Free" is normally used in combination with the meaning "gratis": the whole system is basically "gratis" with "free" added, or gratis/free. All the so-called "free" programs are really gratis programs.

wrong mongoloid, 8.1 is faster than 10

i tested all 3

Linux is faster than 8.1 though, so suck it. :^)

The point is that it's harmless because it's just shitposting.

There's very few consistent things with SJW thinking. One of them is that they hate women who are curvy, and they are trying to redefine being obese as "curvy", "voluptuous", "thick", etc. yet hate chubby chasers because they remind the female SJWs that they're still fat.

The male SJW's ideal woman is a girl exactly 5 feet tall, with a full leg gap from thigh to foot, with a fashion sense college girls during the mid-90s had, and a personality and body that is very meek and unintimidating, but can still be called cute so long as her bony ass is still wearing clothes and she has the kind of face that inspires betas to white knight for her till the break of dawn. Also See: Allison Rapp. Male SJWs get scared the second they see wide hips, shapely booty, and big tits, not just because their ideology demands that they get scared and loathing of them, but because they simply can't handle the hips.

On another note, SJWs collectively agree that effeminate men are the only good men. Masculine homosexuals piss them off even more than masculine heterosexual men, because to them manliness is disgusting, obnoxious, and scary, and manly gay men are denying women their bodies and attention. To try to counteract this, they try everything they can to make the entire male sex as emasculated as possible. Male feminists for example tend to go "yuh dik is smol" if you do or like anything traditionally masculine. Like guns? Compensating for your small penis. Like sports? Compensating for your small penis. Like automobiles, working out, productive hobbies for your own enjoyment? "yuh dik is smol". It's an indirect way of saying "If you aren't actively trying to be a trap/tranny and you aren't regretting having a penis, then everything about you is wrong #masculinitysofragile".

What is she going to do with that screwdriver to that poor processor? Is this symbolic for something?

It's like

A sword and a shield or something

got her sword right here ehhhh

Checked

Have you ever built a PC before? It's not totally uncommon to have a screwdriver in one hand and a processor in the other.

I just want a device that plays vidya, without me having to worry about all this bullshit. It's like Microsoft are porting the worst of modern console trends to PC. I'm sticking to my Linux PC, Wii U, Vita and old consoles. All I'm missing is EYE and Space Engineers.

I have a NAS set up with Samba on my torrent server, so I can get stuff I torrent from any device. I store music and videos on there, never tried games though.
If you want one on the cheap get a single board computer and a hard drive, and screw them to some hardboard for mounting.

I don't plan on upgrading, but if my laptop broke and came with 10 I'm sure I'd just use that. Unless VNs didn't work with it for some reason. Those are the only gaming I do on PC, but they are very important to me.

Wow, she's a cute. I guess I should keep using Win7 after all.

Does apple have a mascot in Japan or is it just gay dancing to bright colors and stupid music?

Because despite being in the "information age", people have never been more willfully ignorant.
People are carrying around wallet sized computers all day, able to access any information, answer almost any question, at any given time, but watching youtube videos on how to do your own makeup or the ice bucket challenge is more rewarding.
I fucking hate everyone who bases their entire identity around what gets them off though. I don't give a shit if a dude likes dick, but get a fucking personality why don't you.

What's really funny, is that win8's purported boot times being soo fast are actually skewed because microsoft rigged the OS to hibernate before shutdown, so the hibernation image is loaded instead of the normal initialization.
Wanna know how I know this?
Remember that F8 used to allow you to get into safe mode to fix shit? Well you can't do that in win8, and the "official" reason is that the boot time is too fast to recognize the key press.
You have to open some foreign menu by holding down a key while clicking the shutdown icon, and telling the system that on the next boot that it should enter safe mode.
Doing this configures the hibernation image to load safe mode for you.
This, in conjunction with the "MS certified boot protection" is what initially tipped me off that microsoft was starting to pull some real shit to fuck their consumers.
It was bad enough that installing linux could brick a computer that had this stupid boot protection shit, but now microsoft has bricked computers running w7 with an update that fatally fucked shit up on systems with certain hardware, and the icing on the cake was people being locked out of their machine after an update that made w7 "Not a certified OS" on systems with the same boot protection.

Of course, I typically like to make extra sure that pesky processor wont fall out by driving a woodscrew through the center.
I'm joking, take the gun out of your mouth.

you dumbass asspussyboi hipsters think you are clever, its funny

Planning to switch over to Debian as soon as I builda new PC.
Fuck MC.

until either ReactOS is done or Linux gets good gayman support, I'm never going windows again.

But how else will you play Gigantic, user? Oh wait, they folded on that before it could even release and it is coming to Windows 7 and 8 as well. I'm looking forward to seeing how many games bail on Windows 10 exclusiveness.

This is one of my favorite images.

Using Win 8.1 with Classic Shell and OldNewExplorer at the moment, and it runs like a better 7, with no sign of Metro. No point upgrading to Win10, especially since they removed all the power user options in the name of 'accessibility' i.e people accidentally fucking shit up.

Getting a new PC, but kind of undecided between 7 and 8.1.

The day I stop using W7 is the day I stop using the windows platform completely. I dualboot to linux and play vidya between the 2. Only on windows for things that don't work on linux.

Eventually I'll just go full linux. Probably this decade. I usually don't buy new games unless they have linux versions or will be getting updates at some point. I think MGSV was the last windows only game I bought. If Tekken 7 comes to PC and is windows only I'll probably buy that too because it's my absolute favourite and the only thing I'm looking forward to in CURRENT_YEAR games industry.

I'll still buy old games that are windows only because they were released in a different tech climate and almost always work in wine anyway. They're also way more likely to just be good fucking games anyway so it's less of a gamble from the start.

nuDoom isn't as shit as I thought it would be and I was considering buying it on sale or a key-reseller but it being windows only with no plans to ever go linux is what made me drop it. When I started thinking of games as investments that should match my values I began saving a lot of money and buying less shitty games. I also felt more confident about my purchases and haven't really made a mistake yet. I still slightly regret getting MGSV but GZ totally sold me on it. I didn't expect that GZ would be better than the whole of TPP.

I'll never use W10 outside of a VM and even then only if I have to or for doing some experiments or some shit.

guess what m8, 80% of vns don't work on windows 10 unless they been officially localized.

in experience from helping friends install visual novels, half the ones that are even listed as compatible with windows 10 actually aren't

I'll be switching to win10 in the coming year once Zen is released. I haven't heard anything solid that's a deal breaker for win10, just a lot of propagandizing and fear mongering.

I literally cannot get used to Spyware Phone Interface 10

It has no games so no rush. Linux will be my next OS after Windows 7

Werks on my Thinkpad x220t with an external GPU. The GPU doesnt seem to take a hit at all compared to bare metal, although there is a bit of overhead CPU wise. On an older cpu like my 2520m this makes an actual difference, but on a better cpu like a 4690k or something, it probably won't make a huge difference.
Here's a few guides for this, the Reddit one was the one thst worked for me.
archive.is/Quxps
archive.is/YDoXX

One of the gpus can be integrated (and most CPUs that support the needed vt-d also have integrated GPUs)
Also, you can do this on one monitor with a bit of shell scripting. I believe most people already use a shell script to switch one monitor off in Linux so the VM can use it. What you really need is 2 HDMI and/or DVI cords plugged into the monitor, one to the GPU and one to the motherboard.

Not every component. The CPU just needs to support vt-d for Intel, or whatever AMD's equivalent is, and the motherboard needs to support IOUUM. You can check if your Intel CPU supports vt-d on the ark.intel.com page for it.

Depressing threads like these make me wonder if SteamOS wasn't such a bad idea after all.

how hard is it to go to windows 7 from 10

All the games that matter run on Linux.

I'll be running W7 untill loonix gets native support for all games without having to be a lvl 50 technowizard

I should probably get to installing mint cinnamon on a free partition one of these days

stfu
i laughed
post lazy town porn

until Linux is used widely enough for it to be viable for all games I'm interested in.

Hilarious to see that Lenovo still offer Windows 7 on a lot of their laptops. Of course you have to wipe and reinstall anyway but it's another sign of how badly Microsoft fucked up.

Windows 10 is an absolute joke and a piece of shit. Most (not all) people who defend it can't install an operating system. They just have to accept whatever's was pre-installed on their budget toaster. It's funny to see their own incompetence force them to whiteknight a multi billion dollar corporation.

Imagine being that much of a faggot.

Lot of dumb niggers in this thread. Also daily reminder Ubuntu spies on you as well and is partnering with Microsoft. Use Kubuntu if you want a windows-like Linux without the kikery.

The only guy I know who actually installed Windows 10 willingly does nothing but play World of Tanks.

Kubuntu is ubuntu.
Whatever stock desktop environment ubuntu ships with is what integrates the amazon spyware shit.
Not that many people will care about amazon datamining them, but I recommend Mint as the go-to distro for tech illiterates.

a large part of it is enterprise users find the security bullshit unacceptable.

didn't Ubuntu roll that back?

My father keeps pestering me to install 10 and he actually works in IT, administrating small businesses' systems.
He insists that all the spying Windows 10 does is also in previous versions, and that I therefore have no argument against it.
He also believes that most of the complaints are fabricated just because people irrationally hate Microsoft.
When he made my brother "upgrade" and several of his games stopped working, he insisted that the games were at fault, so there was no reason to complain.
Unfortunately, because he knows more about computers than me in general, there's no way I'll ever change his mind.

Doesn't Kubuntu use the KDE for a desktop environment? The Amazon spying is done through the Unity dashboard after all.

Not gonna happen this decade, lad. Do you really play ALL games? Focus on your niche, niggah.

You don't need to. Just play the vidya he can't. His loss.

They've been saying that and "for a limited time only!" for over a year now. And yet I'm STILL being begged to install W10.

Yes, but the desktop environment doesn't change the distribution, it's just ubuntu shipping with a different DE default, just as Xubuntu is just ubuntu with the Xfce4 DE, and Lubuntu is just ubuntu with LXDE.

I couldn't remember if Unity or Gnome3 is what added the Amazon shit, but Unity sounds right.

Act now goy, this deal is closing soon. Don't you want our free datamining software? Act now while it still won't cost you shekels.

it is in previous versions, but you can actually remove the updates in Windows 7

also he's a dumb cuck

this is what he thinks he knows, not what he actually knows
yes, microshill have datacollection shit in win7 but it is nowhere near what it is in win10
W7 doesn't phone home every few minutes to dump a log about what you've been doing since it last called home like W10 does
W7 also doesn't re-enable updates if you turn them off, and it doesn't use your computer and connection as a part of their peer2peer swarm network
can't find the picture with their user agreement shit which tells you they will use you as part of their server network

Year of the OS X :^) desktop is coming lads

Making w10 free was far too sketchy to begin with, now they're actually trying to force people to download their spyware, crazy

My normalfag parents still want it.
I've considered telling them that if they upgrade I refuse to fix their computer the next time it becomes infested with malware or viruses but I don't want to be a dick.

I use windows 10. AMA!

Have you ever considered killing yourself?

No. Though freud would suggest you have since you posed the question. Any other questions?

Come on fellas, I really need help with this bullshit.

What do you mean by "won't start" exactly?

The computer part of the laptop turns on, the power button lights green, I can hear the fan spin at a proper speed, but that's it.
I can't quite hear if the hdd is spinning at all, the disk light (one that's next to CapsLock and NumLock indicators) lights up only when I tap either Enter or Esc keys. The external monitor remains inactive.
Function keys do not seem to respond.
Tapping Enter, or Down and then Enter or just mashing Enter 500 times has no effect. I have left the computer alone after turning it on for an entire night and then for another couple of hours after tapping Enter once.

I'm almost willing to stick it in my sister's laptop and see how it boots up, but I'm afraid I might fuck her shit up as well.

Have you tested the external monitor with anything else to make sure its a working monitor? Just checking easiest thing first.

(checked)
Yes, it's a working monitor, I used it to back up everything from said HDD onto external drives and try to mend it from within. Could only boot into Linux Mint and couldn't get into the Windows partition for the longest time since you can't mount a drive that's in hibernation mode.
By some miracle and blind mashing on the keyboard during startup I managed to mount said partition with a Windows 7 disk shoved in the dvd drive. Don't ask me how it happened, I don't know.
Stranger still, when I rebooted the machine afterwards, I couldn't log into my Mint. Something to do with the Display Server not responding. It just kept reopening the log in screen after I typed in my password. it was partition :^)
Through more intensive blind face-keyboarding I managed to log into my windows 8.1 OS, but it was … off. Icons missing, resolution fucked up, software unresponsive. Then it just died.

Holla Forums hasn't been very helpful to me thus far. Remember asking them about external hdd pin-to-usb adaptors, never got an answer. Isolated anecdote, but still…

This is probably beyond my expertise honestly, only ever used Windows.

Didn't mean to have that flag still on, was from another thread.

Did you ask it in the sticky or did you make a thread?

(checked)
Just saying but the reason you can't see the BIOS is because external monitor is not an internal device and not plugged into the main monitor port of your laptop. You'd have to do some real fuckery to change to the external port.

That said, if you used a Linux machine to do your installation of Windows, that's probably why it won't start up. Linux fags like to believe that everyone wants to sit on the Linux dick and that any use of Linux whatsoever is to further make Linux shit.

So they make their apps that automatically install druid to Windows installation USB sticks, for example, which prevents WindowsPCE (as example) so making a USB stick to install Windows is just about impossible under Linux because they fuck with the boot sector to use a Linux boot loader.

If you used a Linux app to install Windows 7 onto the HDD, that's why it doesn't work. You'll need to use Rufus under a Windows environment to make a proper Windows installation USB stick, and then install Windows onto that drive using the actual USB stick to get Windows to be bootable from that drive.

sitcky

External HDDs have the same pins as internal HDDs.
New HDDs have sata, old HDDs have IDE.
It's easy to spot the difference, as IDE will look like a bunch of individual pins sticking out, sata is a small plug with like 4 flat pins.

Let me just say, SATA drive manufacturers – kill yourselves. I love the convenience factor of SATA cables, sure. They're small, so they trap less heat, etc. However, they always put the power and SATA cable ports too fucking close together, and it makes the whole process of plugging in SATA drives just this fucking pain in the ass, especially when they use a little nub to differentiate the up and the down on a drive's port.

Some of us can't tell the difference just by looking at the nub, so we try to plug it in, OH NO, it's UPSIDE DOWN, so now it's annoying as fuck because you have to flip it upside down and keep trying to plug it in, WAS IT UPSIDE DOWN, or did it SIMPLY NOT LINE UP?

Why does the fucking port have to be designed this way, why couldn't the manufacturers have used a recessed port like the video port on a Wii? And why do they have to be so close together, so that it's annoying as fuck to try and install both cables because now one gets in the way while you're trying to do this shit? So once again, if you manufacture SATA drives, and you're reading this right now, google "How to hang yourself at home" and follow the fucking instructions, you asshole.

there is a button in your laptops that turns the integrated monitor on/off just check the manual or keep presing the fn keys until you get signal in the other monitor

I know that the external monitor doesn't display BIOS, knew it before this whole thing (had similar trouble yeeeears ago). Still, thanks for the input (no pun intended).
YOu seem to have misunderstood the timeline of this fuckfest (read: I didn't explain it properly):
and here we are

wut

Why would you make up your own slang like this? Did you mean to say Holla Forumsirgin? And what's this "full big guy?" You're saying your dad smashed your laptop because you go to Holla Forums?

Fn+F3 or Winkey+P, I know, tried it, won't work because it's not a primary output device.

Already know the difference between the two well enough, have been saving my archive/backlog onto different 2,5 inch SATA drives. We're working exclusively with SATA drives here, don't have an IDE adapter (shit's expensive, 30-50 bucks).

And I used the WinToUSB to install the Windows 7 system onto the laptop hard drive VIA A STANDARD WIN7 PC. Didn't use linux.

The only reason I will hate to lose Windows is because Visual Studio is the best C++ IDE out there.

Big Guy is Bane
Bane broke Batman's spine on top his knee.
Dad broke my laptop on top of his knee.
He did it because I was a GF-less NEET. Well, I did have a blue collar job at a shit factory with minimum wage, but that wasn't good enough.
Get off your high horse and shitpost better,

Alternatively move out and stop living with an authoritarian fucktard, and then problem solved and you don't have to make up stupid colloquialisms that cause people to ask what the fuck you're talking about. I'm not on a high horse because I don't understand your nonsense and ask you to clarify, you asshole.

Does your laptop have UEFI boot protection?

I'd recommend at least finding a replacement screen for the laptop instead of plugging into an external monitor.

You're the only one having a problem with it, that's why I called you out.
And I can't afford to move out, don't think that I hadn't thought about it in the past. Plus i feel obligated to help my family.

I guess, I found this screenshot of the same model's boot screen (lenovo B590)
Looked up replacement screens online, alibaba, amazon and ebay are offering them at cca $60. Have an illogical fear of online shops, just can't trust them. Amazon might be good enough, but I've heard about them stealing personal info.

There are actually government programs to help people move out, such as low-income housing. Typically they take 30% of your monthly income after taxes (this is a fixed rate). So if you make $1200 a month, then they take $400 and leave you with the remaining $800.

And it boils down to how much you respect yourself, mate, if I had someone who not only physically damaged my property like that and didn't reimburse me for the damage and didn't apologise, I would leave. Not only do you empower them to do it again by not getting reimbursed and not getting an apology, you set the precedent that you'll never do anything about it. Psychologically you've already neutered yourself in the situation.

But hey, what do I know, right?

UEFI boot protection is probably your issue then, since it's microsoft's way of preventing users from actually owning their machine and installing whatever operating system they want.
UEFI boot protection would have to be disabled to install anything, or boot up anything that it would otherwise detect as "uncertified".

So that means I'm fugged if I don't buy a replacement screen, huh?

I'm not a burger, I'm a yuropoor. They already rip about a 15% of my pay and put it into the "pension and disability insurance" fund.

And I won't argue with you about the Stockholm syndrome. You're very right about that.

You know, I haven't really commented on the OP yet, and I suppose I will now.

The choice between 7 and 10 is mostly a pretty dry, bland and drab choice. If you don't pay for every piece of software you use, then you can't run Windows updates on either for fear that Microsoft will release another one of their stupid "security updates" to "protect you" that reactivates the copy protection in some software to fuck you, the user, into paying a bunch of money for shit.

Segue begins here
Now Microsoft is getting a little better about this kind of thing, because they ARE providing better tools for the free market, but there's still plenty of software that they fuck with. A great example is Visual Studio. They've mostly retired the Visual Studio Express line of programs and gone with Visual Studio Community, which on paper sounds like a great idea, an open implementation of Visual Studio that the community builds and implements, great as a free software concept. But the problem is that the free version takes literal hours to install (for no fucking reason), and you can't actually deploy your software for monetary compensation. So the alternative is to buy or pirate the proper Visual Studio line of products. I'm not saying that piracy is good or bad (and I'm not going to argue the point either), but I do think that the costs associated with said products is fucking ridiculous. $400 for the standard edition, $800 for the professional edition, and $1200 for the enterprise edition. GREAT if you are a developer who works for a company who has thousands of dollars to throw at things for every employee. Not so great if you're a hobbyist or amateur who wants to get into development.

Once upon a time Microsoft didn't have the express edition line and the only options were to either buy the expensive shit at full price or be a student at a major university and get it for 75% off (which sounds like a great way to save the money until you figure that part of saving that money is accruing thousands of dollars in debt to be a student).
Segue ends here

Another problem with WinUpdate is obviously that Microsoft sees no qualms in trying to force updates on its users, whether to force Win7/8 customers onto Win10, or by forcing free users of Win10 to install updates that invalidate software workarounds that were mentioned above. Now here's the real problem I have with Windows.

Windows has gone for a real nanny state type approach to software, which is that they prevent you from running programs that they don't know about, they block execution of certain types of file extensions, they like to remove legacy code that older programs rely on, and they even force upgrades of software by putting in a "compatbility check" that actively prevents you from running an earlier version of some software.

A great example of this is Visual C++ 6.0, which some consider to still be one of the best versions because of how lightweight it was and how easily adaptable it was. You can't run VC++6.0 in Win7 or above, the OS will not allow it. You can flip every compatibility option in the compatibility tab, it still won't allow you to run the program, and will tell you it's because the program's compatibility "has no solution, so Windows has prevented execution of this program."

And then there's the telemetry thing where Windows 7 will install it via WinUpdate, and Win10 comes with it preinstalled. So the answer to the question is, Windows 7 SP1 without the telemetry update installed and windows update turned off is superior to every version of Windows 10, even if you perform debloat on Windows 10 and even if you turn off the Windows update service in Windows 10, because Windows 10 will continue to do something you don't want it to, and has an even bigger list of software that it will refuse to run for "compatibility sake."

Microsoft doesn't need to know what I do, and when I do it, they don't have the right to a log of that information, and I certainly don't give them the right to share that information with government agencies. DirectX 12 is not sufficient reason to give them said right, so if you're going to use any version of Windows, make sure it's not 10 at the very least.

Also with all updates on Win10 being forced updates, how long until Win10 users are forcefully converted to Win11 users and get treated even more like niggers?

Fuck Bill and Melinda.

Seems like the most likely scenario.

I decided to fact check myself to make sure I was correct, and I guess I should rephrase some of that… They didn't retire Visual Studio community. They instead re-purposed it.

Visual Studio Community is useable (including for commercial exploitation for the first two) if you are either:
1) An individual
2) A small team with no more than 5 concurrent users of the software
3) An enterprise (that is a company with more than 250 employees and/or $1 million in annual profits) working on OPEN SOURCE NOT-FOR-PROFIT software.

If you fall under any of these clauses, Visual Studio Community is a great asset. However, if you are a team of more than 5 programmers, an enterprise for proprietary software, or a contractor working for a company you can not use Community.

For companies who don't qualify as an enterprise you can then use Visual Studio Express, and then problem solved, still a free option, still allows for commercial exploitation.

If you are an enterprise, you can only use Visual Studio standard or better.

So I was a little off, I said something that wasn't factually true, and I'm correcting my mistake. If you want to develop software, apparently Community is a GREAT option for an amateur or hobbyist whether you use it to make money or use it to make free shit.

If you make $1 million in a fiscal year, you'll be classified as an enterprise and then your individual or small team license is invalid.

What happened to the lolis?

What version of Windows is that supposed to be?

Windows 2hu

Install Ganoo

That pic was actually drawn by Aidan Hughes, who does KMFDM's cover pics.

I don't play modern games so I don't give a flying fuck.

Windows 9

i only plan on staying on 7 until linux gets some more games/vulkan becomes the standard they want it to be

10 has done literally everything wrong as far as i'm concerned and i have completely given up on microsoft

sorry if doublepost