Nipponese Learning Thread: Daikaiju Edition

Why aren't you learning Nipponese? Don't you want to play games without censorship, the ability to play a girl removed, memes, incomprehensible accents, cut content, memes, new bugs or translation errors? Don't you want to play all those Nipponese only games that will never be released in English?

google.com/url?q=https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ynwmcFwy0ccT70cVRp-G97fYlcf-GYZ86T62SvQMDdY/pub?embedded=true&sa=D&ust=1453325614194000&usg=AFQjCNHsfuahFvAqJk5XVfcmGnalXnfPtA

Random Nipponese Only Game of the Thread: 絶体絶命都市3 and 巨影都市

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.co.nz/#!OxZhUQAJ!6l_TJEmyoNrGZOrTvey3iDXPzFVHL8ww_Cyo_jcAzvk
hukumusume.com/douwa/betu/
mega.nz/#!X8xCFRzL!cIaYNpnB2vFce0NOkpOZjnKfWSPdHtMJ_C5tC6FY_Co
docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true
docs.google.com/document/d/1KnyyDt7jimEz-dgeMSKymRaT2r3QKBPm9AzqZ6oUWAs/pub
pastebin.com/ZQdMz90r
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What does 何時何分何秒にやらないっていったのよ mean? I obviously know what each individual word means.

Didn't even notice that I'm already that far.

Also I love the book Japanese the Manga Way, I have fun while learning with it.

But OP I've spent all day playing Gundam Breaker 2 and Omega Labyrinth, and I'll be playing Monster Hunter X tomorrow in all likelihood on the train ride to work.

In this case, it's a follow up from the first comic on the right, where the guy "Gotou" tried to push the "fight" with the twintails girl, "Tama" about the ice cream onto the other what I presume is a girl named "Hinako" and she protested, leading Tama to call Hinako out for being afraid, thus leading to the line in question where she asks "At what hour, minute, and second (of the day) did I say I wouldn't do it?" It's a play on a common children's taunt used in arguments where one will point out (probably correctly) that the other said something earlier which they're contradicting now, to which the reply is something along the lines of 「へぇ、それは何時何分何秒だった?地球は何回回った時?」, or "Oh, what second of what minute of what hour was that? What number rotation was the Earth on at that point?" It is exactly as childish as it sounds.

Help
I dunno what to do after learning the kana
I know I need to learn kanji and I know like two and those are for Japan and time

Use an Anki deck, and go from there?

There is a guide for stupid bitches like you in the OP.

The Mega Link for the Anki Deck

mega.co.nz/#!OxZhUQAJ!6l_TJEmyoNrGZOrTvey3iDXPzFVHL8ww_Cyo_jcAzvk

seems to be broken

What's the deck name?

mega:///#!QIQywAAZ!g6wRM6KvDVmLxq7X5xLrvaw7HZGyYULUkT_YDtQdgfU

Never give up!

I appreciate the effort, user. But
was all I needed. I can read the rest of the stuff just fine. These kinda things make me feel so stupid. Thanks anyway.

Fair enough, just providing context in case, and for any others who might need it.

Thank you very much

I'm looking at the DJT pastebin and the link to Remembering the Kana doesn't work. Same with Yōkouso!

Does anyone have a link to those?

I think i'm ready to start reading should I start with manga, VNs, children books like from hukumusume.com/douwa/betu/

Something you enjoy.

VNs have voice and visuals to help give context, but they also have lots of narration.

What do you guys think is the fastest you can learn Japanese. I would like to know atleast enough to understand Yakuza 6 by the time it comes out

バンプ

nice, my daughter became queen

Black and White are the Pokemon games that added in a mode for more kanji, right? I've been thinking of importing Black 2 and giving it a go. I know a lot of people try Pokemon as their first game (it wouldn't be mine) but is it as easy as that would make it seem?

I've heard the Yakuza games are pretty fucking difficult language-wise so it wouldn't be quick.

Has anyone tried Rosetta Stone before? Is it any good?

I don't know, but it's certainly overpriced either way.

I have a feeling it might work for languages more similar to English, but I didn't find it helpful for Japanese.

It's supposed to teach you through "immersion", so there are no explanations for the grammar rules or anything; but Japanese is so different from English that you really need more guidance than that.

Why import when you can emulate?

It's shit.

Someone really needs to update the OP guide.

Any good podcasts to listen to while I drive/walk?

Good job user, supposedly one of the harder endings.

Also, Is that the pc98 version? Doesn't it have like a billion discs?

If I remember right there are two queen endings. I got the easier one where you marry the king, so it's probably not that impressive.

It's the PC98 version but I have it installed to a virtual HDD.

So you'd need to switch discs all the time? I'd love it if you could upload the Vhdd for me.

Sure, here you go:
mega.nz/#!X8xCFRzL!cIaYNpnB2vFce0NOkpOZjnKfWSPdHtMJ_C5tC6FY_Co

It's got all my saves on it, but you can just overwrite them.

Thanks a bunch man. I'm not too big into PC98 emulation so I didn't even knew you can install them.

Going to be nice to do a run or two in the version that actually looks good.

I just like to have physical copies when possible and reasonable. I've only emulated with translation patches and stuff that's too expensive like Snatcher.

Yeah I get what you're saying. It seems good if you were to read some books on grammar beforehand, but if you did that you most likely already know basic gook

I have
It felt more like a chore then how I'm studying now with anki and a grammar textbook
plus It felt like I was just parroting phrases with no grasp on the meaning

top cuck

Surely there are some romhacks that work with the Nipponese version. Pokemon is way more fun with romhacks.

Not vidya. Check em.

Whoops. Lets try that again.

:^)

If there's one thing I hate about games on PC is that the Japanese always get screwed over. Seriously, look at any of the recent PC ports of Japanese console games. They never have a Japanese text option and sometimes aren't even sold in Japan, which I think is absurd.

Are there any games which got good localizations into Japanese? I'm interested in seeing how things are translated in the opposite direction of what I'm used to.

Why would you use a PC for games that aren't eroge or MMOs?

Isn't there a better version of the game that we never got in English?

Because there are games that aren't available on other platforms?

Not as far as I remember. Might be confusing it with a different game.

I was being sarcastic. Probably should have made it a bit more obvious.

As for the better version of Fortune Summoners:

Why they would do that I have no clue. Maybe Lizsoft added more places where they would have to use towels and they didn't want to put in the extra effort.

I'm not sure on the quality of the localization itself, but Shantae 3DS got a physical release here, which means if nothing else Japan treats America's few good games better than America does.

Has anyone here actually had success from learning Japanese from random places online by themselves? I've always thought about doing it, just never believed it would be a good replacement for actually going to a class for it.

Most classes just do online stuff anyway. Best way to learn is to go work in a japanese restaurant, you'll learn fast.

I might be retarded, but where did the excel spreadsheet with japanese videogames and their language difficulty level / ふりがな inclusion?

I'm asking on behalf of a 14 year old boy that has been studying Japanese for ~2 years and wants to get a Japanese 3DS to try and study with. God knows I'm not going to direct him to this place.

I have a friend who started learning nipponese as well and he used Human Japanese.
Does anyone know if it's any good or bad?
i'm using it to basically catch up with him and then learn together.
Is that not a good idea?
Should I stick to the anki deck?

docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true

You're probably thinking of the reading list, it only seems to list two 3DS games though and doesn't really get updated as far as I'm aware.

There's also the cornucopia of resources, but it's all manga, novels and textbooks, not vidya.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. That's bloody disappointing. I thought it had more in it.

If that's the case, what sort of games that fit the bill would you or other people here be able to recommend?

くそやろう!
I have tried so fucking much to learn this god damn language, and I keep fucking failing, what is the god damn magic bullet? Why do I have so much difficulty with it?

docs.google.com/document/d/1KnyyDt7jimEz-dgeMSKymRaT2r3QKBPm9AzqZ6oUWAs/pub

There's also this list here but sadly it only has 3 entries for games so far. I don't remember that Mahou Shoujo game being there before so it seems that it's still getting updated which is good.

I don't know anything about Japanese 3DS games since I own neither a Japanese 3DS nor a hacked one. If he has a PSP or doesn't mind emulating I'd recommend Zwei!! and Nayuta no Kiseki since those are both really good. Zwei!! has a PC version (which is the one I played) but it doesn't have good controller support and it has a few issues on systems running anything past XP. I remember seeing a Vista version out there but sadly the only one you can get digitally is the XP version.

I'm also playing Zwei II currently and I'd say it's a bit more difficult than the first one language-wise. I haven't been seriously studying for as long as him though so he might have an easier time.

Dragon Quest VII and VIII have furigana, and so does PSMD.

Dragon Quest VII especially should keep him occupied.

Whats "the ability to play a girl removed" in referance to?

Wow people actually play video games I thought this was a joke forum lmao.

Chi no Rondo is a good example.

It might be in reference to another game but I remember that apparently in Baten Kaitos Origins they removed the option to have the player referred to as a girl from the English release. Apparently that's kind of a big deal as far as the story is concerned but I haven't played it. I remember in the original the main character would talk to you directly so I guess it's the same thing. I don't remember what significance it had story-wise.

Yes, it's referring to Baten Kaitos Origins.

Given this is referring to the player through the TV screen and its actually plot important it's kinda a big deal.

I'm legit crying. Holy shit. All that work has paid off already. I'm so fucking happy.

Proud of you user, I hope i can get to your level by a year or so.

You got there damn well faster than I ever did. I'm proud of you user.

That is fantastic user!
Congratulations!
Hopefully I can reach your level as well!

I think it's almost time for me to get the games that I started really learning moonrunes to play - Zero and Ao no Kiseki.

I'll probably grab the 3DS Dragon Quest games I don't already have, too. Gonna make my 3DS a Dragon Quest system.

がんばって!

Godspeed, user!

Today is the day where am not sure whether I should continue or not.
From what I've seen I'll have to review anki for a few years if not forever in order to not forget the kanji.
Holy fuck that is a lot of time you use for that.

Between my fulltime job, cleaning cooking etc and learning there is barely any time left to read of watch manga/anime or play games.

I mean fuck I cant even keep with the translated stuff.

I mean I want to visit Japan again sometime but you dont need japanese for that.
And I'll probably never work in Japan.

What do Holla Forums?

Do what your heart tells you to, man. If you feel like it's a waste of your time and you could be accomplishing something else instead, do that. Only do what you feel is right.

Dont rly want to accomplish something else, I just have barely time left for fun.

If you don't think you can dedicate yourself to it, then don't.

If you're at this point, why not just play games and read manga in Japanese? Start off with easier ones, obviously, stuff that ran/runs in Jump like Hokuto no Ken or JoJo has furigana/yomigana out the ass for manga, and tons of games have extensive voice acting like the Bravely games or the newer SMT titles. It'll be hard, yes, but you'll have fun playing the games and want to know more, so you'll naturally remember easier and it won't feel like studying.

So in my infinite autism I wrote up a mini-guide on Omega Labyrinth for a gent in the Vita thread, figured I'd share it here if anyone here is playing the game or if anyone wants to discuss translation choices for item names and the like.

pastebin.com/ZQdMz90r

Nice, I've been thinking of picking up that game because it has my fetish. Is it actually a good dungeon crawler? It looks like it's a Mystery Dungeon sort of game and my only experience with that is the first Pokemon one on the DS which I only thought was okay.

What would you say the difficulty is language-wise? I can't imagine something like this would be all that bad.

It's actually more roguelike than dungeon crawler, but yeah, it's similar to the Mystery Dungeon franchise which is also a roguelike. It's not the hardest the genre has to offer, but it's incredibly solid with a good interface and options to give a sense of progression while still keeping it challenging, which I wasn't expecting. I'm skipping most of the ero at this point because I'm actually having fun with it as a game, so I would definitely recommend it.

Difficulty as far as language isn't too high, dialogue isn't important for figuring out what to do since it's just "clear the dungeons" and since it's about high school/college age girls, it's not like it uses terribly complicated language in the dialogue. Plus the game lets you replay dialogue scenes in the gallery, and mid-scene you can pull up a backlog and replay voice clips if you missed how they pronounce a kanji or something, so it might be helpful if you're at that point in learning the language. The only potential pitfall would be item names and the like, which is actually the reason I wrote up that little mini-guide in the first place for the Vita thread folks, but as long as you can do some basic pattern recognition and aren't casual enough to be scared off by some trial and error with punishing results for errors you could probably play it with zero knowledge of Japanese.

Well god damn, that's perfect. I have a hard time keeping up if there's any auto-advancing text and having a log to go back if I read over something too fast is always good.

This is perfect practice then. There is auto advancing game text in the dungeon, but you can pause at any time to pull up the log and reread a ton of previous messages. The only auto advancing text you'll potentially miss is the voiced clips during the gropey minigames, and those are mostly ignorable.

The dungeon text will probably show up so much I won't really need to go back to read it a lot of the time.

Now I just need to figure out how I can get it without paying a whole lot. PlayAsia has it at $65 and that's not even including shipping. I'll likely have to wait on this, sadly. Hopefully it'll go down in price.

When I preordered it it was going for 5957 on Amazon, but now it's going for 6246. Still better than the MSRP of 7344, but not by much. It seems to be doing well, considering it's been six months now, and by this point I remember Bravely Second going down from 6500ish to about 2000 and now it's down to fucking 800 holy shit

hey learning thread
so this is what I've been doing, I realize it might be retarded but it's what I could manage while working and going to school

-wanikani while I can manage it
-namasensei vids to get the gist of some of the grammar (I know that he romanizes everything and I find it annoying)

apparently to a website, with wanikani I've learned most of the N5 and N4 Kanji and vocab. I have a ton of spare time because I just graduated, so I grabbed Genki I as well as TK Grammar Guide. after finishing Genki I (and maybe learning some N3 kanji) what games can I reasonably expect to play through? when I learned german in highschool the only way I was able to make sense of what I was learning was to read magazines and play games in the language, so I want to do the same here as soon as I can.

again I know what I've been doing is most likely dumb go easy on me

I'm unfamiliar with pretty much all the proper nouns you just used other than the N5/N4/N3 referring to the JLPT stuff, but offhand I'm going to recommend games with furigana like the newer DQs or Pokemon, or with full voice acting like Bravely Default/Second or Omega Labyrinth.