The Untold Legend Of Batman

Want to know the history of 70's Batman? Want to know what DC retconned with the Caped Crusader in Crisis on Infinite Earths?

Then sit down and get the lowdown on the Bronze Age Crusader in "THE UNTOLD LEGEND OF BATMAN" written by the late Len Wein.

Right off the bat, there's chaos in the batcave. Someone has trashed the Batman costume of Bruce's father! Who could've done such a heinous deed?

As Bruce retells of the origin of the cherished costume, it's almost identical to the one given in Detective Comics #235. That should give you a good idea of the canon of bronze age Batman. It's the same as the classic comics, just updated.

The history of Batman continues as Bruce recounts his journey to becoming caped crusader.

Again, it's the same as the classic comics. Everyone knows about Leslie Tompkins, but Philip Wayne, Mrs. Chilton, and Harvey Harris are all from the old comics. Personally, I like that the Harris episode wasn't discarded, since it's my favorite origin for the Robin costume.

Batman's encounter with Joe Chill from Batman #47 retold, though the part about Bruce's college days were something added for this story.

The second half of Detective Comics #235.

As Batman drives away looking for answers, his canon looks the same as old, which surprised me when I first listened to this book.

That's right, listened. More on that later.

The Untold Legend of Batman #2.

Instead of heading straight to the post office, Batman ruffs up some thugs. Something might not be right with the dark knight.

More origins, this time of Robin.

With the origin of Alfred, we hit our first real retcon: the disappearance of fat Alfred. However, in exchange, Alfred is given a richer backstory.

Batman goes through his rogues gallery in search of suspects. No stone is unturned, for even Getaway Genius is among the list of potential culprits.

First up though is The Joker, along with his origin, straight from Detective Comics #168.

From Detective Comics #66, the origin of Two-Face.

This issue ends with the fiery destruction of the Batmobile! Whoever Batman's enemy is, they're dead set on his complete destruction!

The Untold Legend Of Batman #3

Batman storms off to find the deadly enemy that's been plaguing him. Robin makes a call to Jack Edison, Batman's personal mechanic, for a new Batmobile. I never like the idea that Batman doesn't build his own stuff, but I least this is just the origin for the 70's Batmobile.

Unfortunately for Jack Edison, he was created just for this story. He makes one more appearance in Blue Devil before COIE erases him forever.

After laying some wisdom on him, Commissioner Gordon recounts how he first met Batman. This is another retcon, since I believe Gordon and Batman first started working together after Batman #9, when he made him an honorary police officer.

However, like with Alfred, I don't see any real issue with it as it's rather minor stuff.

Since we're telling the origin for everything, we also have the origin of Batgirl, which is still in line with the old comics.

Sorry, I forgot we also have the origin for Lucius Fox, so now we truly have the origin for everything.

Batman enters Wayne Manor, long abandoned when he moved to a swank penthouse ontop of Wayne Enterprises. Lost in the ghosts of the past, Batman's unknown foe strikes!

The evil mastermind behind all of Batman's woe reveals himself to be none other than BRUCE WAYNE! Yes, Batman has gone crazy, way before Azbats made it cool!

But before he succumbs to the madness, the specter of his father arrives to show him the way out. But it isn't a ghost. Rather, it's Batman's old chum Robin, bringing Batman back to his senses!

Batman is himself again and legend of Batman will never die!

I mentioned earlier that I listened to this comic. That's because DC made an audiobook version. Check it out!

Nice.

That intro song is so good I had to make a full version.

Now that this storytime is over, I want to ask a question. It came to me during a discussion about how COIE was one of DC's worst decisions.

Why was this canon retconned?

I've read a ton of Batman comics, both pre and post crisis. I can't see a solid reason for discarding all of this canon. Updating it, sure, but DC just threw it all out the window. What a waste.

That's… wow, that's actually fucking genius.

It's one of the few non-Bill Finger contributions to Batman's lore and I think it's a great one.

Instead of every Robin copying Dick Grayson, they're following the path of Bruce himself. The costume becomes a symbol of learning and legacy.

It's a shame they didn't mention how Batman was inspired by the Shadow, but I guess DC didn't have the rights to him at this point.

Wasn't the Bronze Age the time when Bruce had an older brother? The one that Grant Morrison retconned to be Dr. Simon Hurt?

They didn't though. Firstly, most of Batman's canon remained canon after Crisis, unlike Superman or Wonder Woman. Secondly, a lot of the stuff that did get thrown got reworked one way or another

Batman's history keeps getting reshuffled. It always pops back up. Everything from his older brother, the rainbow suit and Zur En Arrh, Bat-Radia, whatever.

It always comes back. I wish I can say the same regarding Superman and Wonder Woman. No more, Clark joining the Legion of Superheroes or hell, the fact that he was the first Superboy. No more Wonder Woman being the first Wonder Girl or the fact that Donna's history was relatively unfucked back then. Which is a shame because Who is Donna Troy was a damn good arc.

If there is one character who will get out just fine, no matter what. It's the Batman character.

Thing is , I think Grant Morrison tried to explain that all the Silver Age shit did happen and Batman filing all the weird stuff in the Black Casebook, like the Rainbow suit…pretty sure even Alfred's death and back to life as Outsider was briefly touched upon.

Pretty much what I was getting at. No matter what happen, Batman will keep going, like a deep hole that can never close. Yes, I am a fan of Grant's work on Batman.

He actually has a Post-Crisis appearance in a Detective Comics Annual story where a young Bruce helps him solve the murders of not-KKK members down south. Interestingly, it was co-written by Mark Waid in his early years.

Even Batman being Robin got a retooling in the form of the Sins of Youth event