Etrian Odyssey

I'm looking to get into this series, where should I start?

I started with that one and it's pretty good.

4 is the most beginner friendly but will ruin the older games for you.

Start with 1 and enjoy the improvements through the series.

Avoid the Untold games.

Could you explain what's wrong with them? Should I just play the original games on the DS?

The are casualizations of the DS games with a shitty story that spoils the big twist of the series at the very start of the game. Also they're riddled with DLC, Untold 2 has cart locked dungeons on it that leave empty spots on the map unless you pay up like a good goy or pirate.

Alright, thanks. I'll put the ds games on my flashcart when I get the chance.

dungeon crawler thread?
anyone played bunny black?

As a guy who has played the original 1-4 and is currently going through Untold 1 rn, here's a bit to consider:

Adding "picnic" easy mode is casualization to a T, but they still have the old difficulty there under "veteran"

Re-balancing is an important point for E1:U. Most EtrianO1 guides will tell you to get a healer skill called immunization asap. It had a flat damage reduction of 20+% and I've seen it called essential many times. They nerfed this skill and rebalanced the game so you don't need a healer with this skill proc'd 24/7.

Storymode addition: You have the choice of classic (original way to play) and story for a save file. I wanted to go classic immediately, but they lock the best Katana (and a medal) behind storymode so my OCD wouldn't let me. You can NG+ between modes with characters carried over apparently.
Anyway, onto storymode-
I believe this is the biggest antithesis to what Etrian Odyssey originally was. , Etrian always felt special to me because it was a world that was a specific world set up with a specific set of rules, but no story to limit you or hamstring you along. In other words, it felt like it was set up for you to make your own story in.

In story mode you're locked to a group of 5 characters who I don't feel much for. Gameplaywise the party balance is solid, but you can't use any of the other classes because muh story-involved characters.

The actual story given is mediocre. The voice acting doesn't trigger my dub>subs mentality too hard, but it seriously irked me at first. They try to use it to add greater explicit context to a world that didn't really need it. One you get to floor ~20 you'll understand what I mean when I say that the environment itself tells the story fine. The game itself is fine, but the new story mode does it no favors.

Grimores come in from the newer games, they're alright. A neutral addition imo.

Quality of life changes are okay. Floor jump saves on redundancy, but can be abused to escape dangerous situations and it reduces the use of the formerly essential Ariadne Thread (escape rope). I don't feel much skipping over lower floors where I can easily autobattle through any encountered enemies.

Not sure how to feel about tweaking the maps yet. Seems like they reduced a bit of the complexity to some parts of the maps so far idk. It's been a while since EO1.

DLC existing shitty ~$10 overall, but I have a CFW so I can just pirate the free new bosses whenever

I'll keep all of this in mind as well. Maybe I'll play through the untold games after beating the original four games.

I have played it, but haven't finished it yet. I expected just an eroge game and not a full fledged rpg as well.

Dungeon Travelers is better than this trash.

how rude!

Ehh,
Dungeon Travelers: Disgaea
Etrian Odyessey: FireEmblem

Dungeon Travels has a lot more stats to tweak and it's world feels less cozily cohesive
Both EO and FE have stayed from the path of goodness with 2 new games respectively that look to cazualize and pander in order to sell more copies to a larger audience.

I'd argue that the later FE games(PoR,RD and #12) and the later EO games (3,4) are better than the series I paralleled them to.

How do y'all feel about EO5?

100% Hype

its like you people never learn.

So if you play on classic mode and on veteran difficulty, it's a similar experience as the original DS game?

Honestly after how they handled the two Retold games, not entirely convinced that EOV will be that good. At the very best it's still going to be weighed down with DLC.

I'll pirate it regardless.

Untold*

Start with 1 but 3 or 4 are also good starting points. But if you don't start with 1 you probably will never play 1 and 2. Also don't touch that Untold garbage, and the mystery dungeon one is pretty cozy.

Really I'd play 2,3,4 and then Untold 1.
1 is the weakest game wise and had a ton of broken shit that renders the game incredibly difficult or piss easy depending on if you have 1 skill.
avoid U2 like the plague that shit's awful.

2/3 are considered the best, 4's good too

Classes
Earthrun. The new Landsknecht.
Specializations: Dodgetanking, Chasing
Earthrun. Tank with a gun. More offensive capabilities than previous tanks
Specializations: Gunning, Shielding
Earthrun. Hand-to-hand grappler.
Specializations: Binding, HP Sacrificing Attacks
Earthrun. Edgelords who sacrifice HP to inflict ailments
Specializations: Ailments/debuffs, Instant Death/Ailment Chasing Not exactly sure if I'm remembering these correctly
Lunarians. Elemental Mages. They have "Chant" skills that change the effect of the next spell.
Specializations: Energy Spells(Fire,Ice,Volt), Physical Spells(Air/Cut,Water/Pierce,Earth/Bash)
Lunarian. They sacrifice HP to summon ghosts, which can later be dismissed to cast various spells(party heal, defense buff, fire attack, etc.). Ghosts can be summoned in or out of battle.
Specializations: Summoning, Dismissing
Therian. Speedy glass cannon samurais who can forego armor to wield up to 4 swords.
Specializations: 1 sword, 2-4 swords
Therian. Archer who summons a pet wolf and/or a pet falcon, both of which can be named. You can have both out at once, and they can be summoned in or out of battle.
Specializations: Wolf(Healing), Falcon(Attacking)
Brownie. Healer who can also inflict ailments and has a fire spell. Ailment skills decrease resistance to the ailment with each attack. A Reaper's best friend.
Specializations: Healing, Ailments
Brownie. Support class that buffs and heals allies.
Specializations: Stat Boosting, Element Infusing

Specializations also give you a subtitle for your class. You get to choose whatever name you want for the subtitle. Not sure what the character limit is.

How bad were the Untolds? I played the U2 demo and it seemed alright. I hear the enemies are damage sponges in Classic mode because they're balanced around the overpowered Fafnir class, though. How far overboard did they go with the DLC?

Incredibly overboard, It's the worst game in the series because of it.
We're talking multiple floors are half finished unless you buy the DLC, in addition to an entire class being locked behind it

U1 is okay though, it fixed the translation issues in the first game, rebalanced it so that immunize/defender wasn't horribly overpowered.

sage for double post

Forgot to post the portraits.

That sounds pretty bad. Think there's any chance they won't go full Jew this time?

I'm really loving some of these portraits so far.

you have my attention now

With skin and hair color customization, you can make everyone delicious brown.

no, please, i dont want to be disappointed again!

D(elicious)(b)R(own)PG general?

fuck, looking for the panties in moe chronicles is a fucking pain.

It's probably a common animu hairstyle but I'm psyched to bring him back. He was so good to me in 7th Dragon, now I get his babby form.

Fuck off degenerate

no

The braid shaman is just too cute for me to use any other brownie. This is the first time I'm planning on breaking my 3guys2girls pattern.

Pretty much. I even heard that if you don't use the new features that were added (floor jump, grimores, story mode, guild house), then the game is slightly more difficult then the DS version.

Is that the big shitstorm? because it was spoiled by sequels box art if you have half a brain and have been in a videogame store anytime in the last half a decade or so.

Instead of starting up a new thread i'll just go ahead and bring this one back from the dead.

I am currently in the last dungeon and Ive decided to mix things up a bit and benched my nightseeker with max throw for enemy encounters and decided to run a link party.

The problem is im not sure what party setup to use with this, I currently have a L/R, D/N, I/N in the front row and a R/I and A/M back row. I'm not sure if using a fortress would be any good at this point considering all the AOE i face in these last couple labyrinths but plan on using him again for the boss because Im on expert and it feels like i would melt if i don't.

Any idea how to use this party to the best of its ability or if i should change a couple of subs around to make it work or if i should switch someone out entirely?

My dancer currently has Trick Samba/Sword Dance maxed out along with Mist Dance.

Currently leveling up my party on shinies since I recently made my dancer just this morning

you have an imperial, strategy is now moot.
go for big max damage hits on the imperial.

Your damage is overkill. Should probably throw a F/R on the party instead of the R/I and slap the three elemental runes on them, and put them in the front whenever one of your front row characters is hurting or needs to set up. This'd make your party a lot more stable at the cost of losing like 7% damage boost from maxed runes and having less (AoE) damage. You'll need to rely more on Arcanist + Quick Step to control crowds.
Give your L/R rapier and boots and generally less heavy equipment. They absolutely have to go faster than anyone else. Spending an extra turn to set up Vanguard is wasting time.

Do you even want to take out dragons in 2 turns?

Vanguard is a 40% damage boost, very significant with how EO handles buffs. By not using it, you lose power from the rapier since swords hit harder and from the lack of Vanguard. You also lose defense, which may or may not matter with an F in the party. Taking two turns to start absolutely nuking a boss on turn 3 is better than doing mediocre damage after one turn of setup. Most useful class combinations have at least two buffs or debuffs they want up.

Implying I/N doesn't have one of the strongest, if not the strongest, burst damages in the game

Give them charge gloves and pray that Follow Trace activates for some insane damage.

The skill guide I'm consulting states that Vanguard raises physical damage only. I've never built a Linksknecht so I don't know whether the elemental links are affected by it and whose shit the followup hits scale off. If Links don't scale it's a questionable use of a turn.

Nowhere, they're all dogshit.

thats the problem

Why does everyone hate the untold versions? I can understand EO2U cause theres whole sections of maps dlc locked on the cart, but why do you hate the story mode? Especially when there is classic mode (which is what I played through out of nostalgia for the first game).

Also is it worth finding a copy of EO2 on DS? I have played through 1,3,4, 1U and 2U classic mode. Is there any benifit to playing through 2 at this point?

Also what did you guys think of Persona Q? I thought it was comfy and enjoyed it

Play Wizardry, SMT games and The Dark Spire instead.

Never heard of Bunny Black? What platform is it on and what's special about it?

The thought of being able to make every character a beautiful redhead is incredibly appealing to me.

People including me don't like how stuff like classes and the best weapon for Ronin were locked behind story mode in the first Untold. The story mode was better implemented in 2U tho although the DLC situation sucks (luckily I pirated it).

I played EO1 10 years ago and I don't remember anything about "muh twist" I don't get why everyone gets so autistic about this. I absolutely loved the game and still love the series in general but I never even remotely cared about the writing.

Nice parroting namefag-kun, but how about you actually play EO or any of the games you mentioned instead of trying so hard to fit in?

Fuck off Val. Go back to making horrible webcomic edits.

Untold's story ruined so many things. It started the Persona Audience pandering we have now. Also (spoilers ahead)

>Blowing the whole "It's a post apocalyptic game" twist in the fucking intro cut scene and early game
>Retconning the Forest People genocide from a horrible act you do to "lol they've got an insanity diesease anyways it's cool"
>Retconning the Final Boss from a mayor who didn't want explorers to get too deep to because it's just not where man was supposed to go combined with the fact that if an explorer actually explores the entire labyrinth there'll be no more reason to explore the labyrinth thus ending the town's economy to "ooooh, he's mind controlled by the evil Yggdrasil core!"
>Changing the Final Final Boss from just some weird monster in the end to "It's a ticking time bomb you gotta blow it up! It's pure evil made by pollution and shit."

Fuck Untold.

you shouldn't

I don't know why you're trying so hard to save a shitty webcomic character, namefag.

Untold 2 is pretty fun. Not 3 and 4 are two of the best games on their respective consoles, though. PQ wasn't that bad, either. Better than the Untolds. It is nice to see them increasing the complexity of the dungeons, which is something that they've been working hard on since IV.

Makes me wonder how much they will fuck up Untold 3.

are they even making one?

PC and you rape your defeated qt foes, or something like that.

I don't see any reason to stop making them.

Bump

What are you guys thinking about making for the new game? From what Ive seen from the new classes they seem to have pretty unique titles they can get for specialization but I guess we won't know until we figure out how the new party system works with the special attacks

Does anyone have party tips for EO3? There's really just so much going on with these classes that it's hard to nail down a good group. From what I can tell, skills seem a little more puzzle piece-y. For example, Samurai have three skill trees and each one has a specific element and a specific debuff. So if you go leg bind/fire damage (not sure if that's right), then your Zodiac can skip fire attacks and focus on volt/ice.