Lovecraftian Horror is all about scale, human insignificance and backwoods superstition

Will plebs ever 'get it' with this type of game idea fuel?

Other urls found in this thread:

barnesandnoble.com/w/barnes-noble-leatherbound-classics-hp-lovecraft-h-p-lovecraft/1106658815
store.steampowered.com/app/252630/
youtube.com/watch?v=tAjbOJBfk5U
store.steampowered.com/app/398180/
arkhamarchivist.com/free-complete-lovecraft-ebook-nook-kindle/
arkhamarchivist.com/go/epub
arkhamarchivist.com/go/mobi
radixjournal.com/journal/2015/10/6/the-black-pill?rq=black pill
youtube.com/watch?v=16LAohqD8jw
youtube.com/watch?v=pstN_ZfCGzs
callofcthulhu-game.com/
amazon.com/Eldritch-Tales-Miscellany-H-Lovecraft/dp/0575099356
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What is call of chtulu?

Not a fan of subtlety?

Games are about what sells. Now try asking a modern normalfag to read "At the Mountains of Madness". There's your answer.

it's too bad Warcraft essentially destroyed any chance of anyone ever thinking of something other than tentacles when Lovecraft is mentioned. even Blizzard is getting sick of it apparently since the Old Gods have been demoted to secondary villains.

No. There has been so much crap released abusing Lovecrafts works that it is insane. Talentless hacks riding on the coattails of Lovecrafts success really makes me sick.

I've seen this in person already.

I really, really wish I was making that quote up

You are implying way too hard. that just drums up Cthulhu tropes not Cthulhu themes.

At the Mountains of Madness the blurst story, followed by The Whisperer in the darkness

People like this are why Delta Green exists.

It's not a game but the forerunner Halo novels are pretty damn good cosmic horror without drawing on any lovecraft stuff specifically.

They start out as a sorta dull, verse dense pseudo hard sci fi story, and then it gradually gets post apocalyptic themes as shit starts to hit the fan, then psychological horror, before finally getting into full blown cosmic horror; but a lot of cosmic horror themes are present even in the first novel in the trilogy. The scale and relative insignificance of things is handled really well since a lot of the characters are early hominids (one of the characters is a Homo floresiensis for example) rather then humans interacting with technology and individuals from other species that have been around for hundreds of thousands to millions and eventually billions of years.

Even if you don't know a thing about halo or give a shit about halo, since it takes places hundreds of thousands to millions of years before the events of the main games, you could read it as it's own thing. I really recommend it if you like classic sci fi or cosmic horror

I wish I could tell you some of the cool shit it does that would sell you on it but you should really go in without any spoilers.

that doesn't even make sense.

While sure, due to normalfags there won't be a truly "incomprehensible alien" Cthulhu game, but if can actually shoot Dagon with naval cannons Dagon (and rest of the Deep Ones) will still eat shit. The problem with that part was the crew and ship remaining in one piece and sane (including the ship) long enough for that to happen.

Mind you, Deep Ones are not gods, they are just cosmic-assholes.

Screw Marathon and it spastic offspring Halo, get Pathways into Darkness.

plebs are scared of lovecrafts actual work because he was racist and reading anything beyond LMAO CTHULU is too hard for them

The story about the eccentric who brought back a with from africa he never let see the light of day would trigger them beyond repair.

I wish there were more hacks like this.

*a wife

one of the countless reasons why halo is a shit setting

Can someone tell me what the fuck is lovecraft thing?

And also explain how a thing with such a name is not overhyped pretentious bullshit?

And also why I should care?

Its the surname of a man who wrote a series of stories. Now back to your youtube lets plays youngling.

Threadly reminder that progressives are trying to "fix" and "clean up" lovecrafts work since he was a racist

On one hand I love reading his shit, on the other it makes me sad how we'll never have any more of this quality and all the faggots ruining his ideas.

how can anyone find that anything but insulting to their intelligence, being racist isn't a crime and we shouldn't cover up how the times affected the literature during their period

What is "War of the Worlds" about, user?

What about War of Worlds?

lol sonynigers are really delusional

Which collection did you buy? I was looking for one recently.

Have they done anything yet, or are they just planing to.

make sure you get some Robert Howard too

You forget, these are the same people that want to destroy historical monuments for triggering
They could care less

A game based on the works of lovecraft will never work, however a re imagining of "eldrich horror" done using vidya as a medium could be good.
right now the closest thing we have is the ability to zoom really far out in space engine.

Welles trolling Brits over the radio with a story of overtly eager Martianiggers getting the pox because they half arsed their sanitation and if Her Majesty is to be kept safe they need moar guns to shoot ayyys with instead of hoping real ayyys would be that retarded.

Characters get stranded on an alien superstructure and have to survive on it alone, and borrows a lot from post apocalyptic fiction.

That any clearer?

Halo games =/= Halo novels, the gulf in quality is astounding. The forerunner triology as pretty unlike the other halo novels to begin with.

Care to give a rec for novels?

Humans getting their shit slapped and their hubris after finding that it wasn't their great war machines that defeated the extraterrestrial invaders but the microbes they view as an insignificant nuisance

What happened to Silicon Nights, will they ever make a sequel to this.

user they were closed 2 years ago

Well shit, its not like Nintendo will do anything with the IP.

This one. Got it for like 7 bucks at a books store.

Anyone more familiar with Lovecraft know if I'm missing anything good?
fuck that fan fiction mythos shit, I only want the official stuff

Funny, I've actually read Lovecraft's books, and the cults are clearly NOT the main focus. Like A Shadow Over Innsmouth, The Shadow Out Of Time, The Dunwich Horror, Herbert West: ReAnimator, At The Mountains of Madness or fucking Call of Cthulhu.

The elder gods were never myth in Lovecraft's universe - they existed, and were seen wreaking havoc on people. The cults that worshipped them were insignificant microbes.

TL;DR - Op is a faggot, what else is new

Nonsense, there's still time to make a halfassed ultraprogressive meme shooter starring transgender wymyns of color with multiple amiibos. R U Cthulhu Ready :^)?

I'm afraid not Phil, "plebeians" will never understand something, that why they are plebian.

You on the other hand are just as bad as them, as I'm sure saying 'pleb' gives you tons of karma, and your more interested in looking cool by Holla Forums standards then actually forming any opinions or thoughts of your own.

You should get HP Lovecraft: The Fiction from Barnes and Noble.

barnesandnoble.com/w/barnes-noble-leatherbound-classics-hp-lovecraft-h-p-lovecraft/1106658815

It has EVERYTHING.

I think the cults play the biggest role in Call of Cthulhu. Though in that too it's more about this Big Something causing global phenomenons that don't seem to be connected in any other way except that there's something batshit crazy in all of them.

There was news recently that even though the kickstarter failed twice the creator is continuing to develop the spiritual successor.

you want source?

fuck you, use google.

FUCK I had the option of buying that one, but I turned it down because the one I got seemed to have everything and it was cheap as shit.
It doesn't help the the back of both books only mentioned 4ish stories then said "PLUS MORE!!!"

The book was really pretty though, glitter n shit everywhere. Oh well.
Any specific stories not in the book that I bought that you would recommend?

That's the one I own, I got it for like $5 when a Barnes and Noble was closing near me.

Or you could get them all for free of the net lmao.

But I want to support H.P. Lovecraft so he can make more stories :^)

What is this trash, it looks like some Minecraft mod.

It's a travesty that after all these years he still can't afford the cancer treatment even though he's such a respected author.

store.steampowered.com/app/252630/
It is a horror worse than anything Lovecraft can create.

Time to hang yourself.

Don't be graphics whores, it's not that bad of a game it's just the art is something out of a early PS1 game.

I don't think Lovecraft horror is compatible with video games anyway. I think they run directly counter to everything a good video game stands for. Lovecraft's style is about insignificance and pointlessness, being a feckless speck of nothing in a fast infinite of nothing and nothing you do will change anything or matter in the slightest.

I don't think that makes a fun video game.

Don't compare this thrash to early PSX fames please.

You could just make it so in the end, everything you did throughout the game didn't matter and you are consumed by a Lovecraftian horror anyways.

Bam, you are then insignificant and pointless.

I believe the problem comes from the societal reflection that is needed for Lovecraftian horror to be effective by and large no longer exists.

In the roaring 20's humanity had a massive boner about itself, as well as still for the most part believing that it was the center of the universe and the inheritors of creation. Today we can still have a massive boner about ourselves but enough of the population understands the smallness of the human condition compared to the possible infinity of space that such a revelation is not any cause for concern.

We have movies depicting the utter devastation of all human life and the failure of humanity. So the populace understands that there's every chance that some weird as fuck thing happens tomorrow and humanity is gone, not to mention how EXTREME that mania became during the cold war when it could be left up to human hands alone to do it.

So, that inflation of ego at the center of what makes Lovecraft so enjoyable isn't baked into the fabric of society anymore. While intellectually an interesting subject, the truth is that it is no longer any more scary than any other standard monster.

This is also a major contributing factor as to why it doesn't work with video games.

I'm not saying you can't make a video game where everything you do is a pointless waste of time and effort.

I'm just saying doing that would make it a bad video game.

Don't Starve actually does this at the end of adventure mode, where you replace the main bad guy as the new puppet ruler on the shadow throne. You then unlock the guy to play as.

For the Halo ones?

Well, none of them aside from the forerunner trilogy are cosmic horror; and the forerunner ones compared to actual sci fi fiction is are probably the best halo books, but for the Halo novels in general, go

Fall of Reach > The Flood* > First Strike > Ghosts of Onyx > Contact Harvest > Cole protocol > Evolutions

That's pretty much the first "era" of halo novels. I put a * by The Flood since it's not great and it's just a novelization of the first Halo game. If you haven't already played the Halo games, CE is obviously interchangeable with The Flood; 2 is best read after First Strike/before GoO; ODST (taking place during Halo 2 as well) and then 3 after GoO. Halo wars should be played after contact harvest/before cole protocol. Halo Reach should played after Evolutions.

There's more books past that, many of them good (the already mentioned forerunner books, Broken circle, last light, Shadow of intent, and hunters in the dark) but that's where you should start if you actually wanna get into halo lore vs just caring about the Forerunner Novels for really well written sci fi/cosmic horror.

Of the first set I gave you a reccomdned order for, Ghosts of Onyx and Contact harvest are generally considered to be the best, with The Fall of Reach/Evolutions being pretty damn good but not on the same level. None of them get to Dune/Ringworld quality levels of course (though I think the forerunner books start to scrape the floor benath them) but they are enjoyable and are decent.

Technically that story is still going with Don't Starve Together.

Now Charlie is the one on the throne.

Huh.
Are you able to unlock the ability to play as her? I haven't kept up with that game in a long while.

No, not yet. It was a story bit uploaded with the previous big DST update.

youtube.com/watch?v=tAjbOJBfk5U

According to your own metric, Lovecraftian horror is about scale and human insignificance. That means, no matter what you do, it doesn't matter. That means, the only way to do it is with a walking simulator.

store.steampowered.com/app/398180/

Or a game that has no true end, just death.

I thought chtulu was some mexican wrestler

I got a collection from the Library of America. It's not exhaustively comprehensive, but it has the best stories, plus good notes from a competent editor.

A modern understanding of the Universe

A modern understanding of Biology, Geology, and Evolution

Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism, etc.

Humanity is living in a Lovecraftian nightmare. The only thing that differentiates the real world, so far as we can tell, from Lovecraft's nightmares - is the ageless tentacle faced alien gods.

In Lovecraft's time, people were just starting to wrestle with the concepts of an ancient earth, evolution, the unfolding vastness of space, and it frightened them to their core. Today, it's passe, and all we have left outside of everyday experience are the ooga-booga monsters.

In a way, I can almost forgive them for thinking it's all about the eldritch horrors. We've become desensitized to the horrors of basic existence.

My nephew thought Terraria invented Cthulhu.

It was a product of its time, and not everything can be carried into modern days.

It's why people don't take vampires and werewolves seriously anymore. Though I wonder why zombies are still popular. Maybe it's an unconscious desire to see civilization be destroyed by the roving hordes of consumers we already are.

It's because:

basically it all comes down to characterization and presentation with these things, which no one has correctly pulled off.

There is also a great lack of rainbows with the usage of these creatures, despite the fact that it is confirmed they posses higher brain functions than we do and perceive the universe "correctly" or at least to a higher degree, as evident in nature with creatures like the rainbow shrimp, which has and can see more colours than human beings, so imagine that times everything we know our minds ae capable of.

It''s the idea that we're neither right or wrong, but are simply that dumbass shit that isn't worth conversign with because there is no given effort or charity that would make us understand.

Lovecraft is the anti-Humanity fuck yeah, it's it's direct antithesis, it's "No you little nig-shit, literally everythign we've ever done ever doesn't mean shit, our achivements ammount to the cosmic equivalent of a child's fucking pre-school scribble, andthe adults do not give a shti about us, except for one of them that despite it's fellows utterly amoral status, despite beign above our collective shit, is th eonly one that is, outright malevolent to anyone and anything ever, and is out to fuck it all up, not for it's own amusement, but because it has a sense and actual justified logistical purpose in every expanse known to the senes, and it will carry out, because it, in a sense, is a cosmic biological function.

And you're telling me, this utterly above us thing is somehow a- "super evil true demon that is evil because it want's to hurt us?"

No you fuck, that's your bullshit barely discared primitive animal insticts talking, our deaths are merely consequential of this beings actions, like leaves scattering before the wind, and you are only able to give a fuck because it has a name and whatever the fuck can be described as a face, if any.

We've been fucked for a long time as a species, but they will not fuck us, they will make us understand simply by making us "see", breaking us as a consequence, because we didn't have the day one Brain functions DLC installed when we crawled out of the fucking Great one lab.

We crash, they run, the universe moves on, and no tears will be shed in the process .

If there was ever one thing to relent on it was our lack of ability in the first place to condense our efforts to achive all that we endlessly state to be capable of, only to be undone by our mindless desires that streched out into the verr finite confines of our own sordid creativity, as a consequence of filling our ranks in abudant needless lives.

There is a reason the likes of alien species achived the likness of interstellar travel, not just through the grace of those with the rights to creation born at the danw of time, but through channeled collective effort, which we state to have done but so poorly you'd think it was the work of an addled junkie, switching from work to pleasure every few seconds or low, destroying the purpose of work in the first place.

8billion people, and what fucking for, when we could erase half of that and supplement it with the machines we so love to make up for our lack of pretty much everything by comparison?

Oh right, love, compassion, and other things that ignore the ways of the world to comfort the individual leading us to stagnancy and excess, with the force of change driven under demand, and not necesccity.

The loss of bloodsport and execution in human society, satured with the mass of verything is fine media destroyed mankinds understandinf of the way's of the world, leaving us to seek mindless confort at the expense of harrowing our potential as a species.

People don't understand what "necessity" means, and they don't get what true law is, or the base existence of constant fluxuating variables based on actions and thought, (Meme magic) and they don't see themselves as they are, but as they want to without being.

It's no wonder some autists never speak to others and socialize little, because a part of them actually grows to understand this completely, realizing how utterly lost we all are with the only void notion of hope allowing us to continue, in belief thiscycle of chaos will have conclusion despite the fact that we are as sspecies that cannot be satisfied. though at best we can become content and kept ill-minded of drives to action and practicality, (see the negroes)

Lovecrafts horrors exists in three factors, fear of the unknown as a concept made reality unto being as the creatures that make his universe up are things that utterly refute and balk at anything remotely human, disregarding human desire to be understodod and rejecting instances human urges, showing us for the jokes we really, and how far we can fall, displayed in how characters discover the ohrrible truths people don't want to know because it destroy's their safe space, or rather, will to live or have any reason to continue on, and lastly, showing hope as a mere excuse to run away from the fear of uncertain future

Threadly reminder

Werewolves are not taken seriously is because the wolf-man hybrid borders simply into just that, they aren't psychopathic hairy killers, mangled warped men with wolf features violating their skeletal structure, human skin hanging off, their apperances are more CG in the modern era instead of realistic makeup work and prosphetics and animatronics which are based in real life ond only need minor enhancements that mesh with the grain, lighting and the like of the film, and also because of people not using actual wolf noises recorded live for the production and instead, they alays use the asme stock shit, and they always use too many cut aways for when a werewolf comesin and utererly fucks somebody up, people need to do less, he's wearing trousers with a blood stain and more, this thing is eating him and we are watching him being mutilated by a beast, like the director watched animal snuff before makign this film.

Vampires is because

The conceit is immeasurable.

On this note, I've long wanted to see a Lovecraft style story where some sort of time aberration causes a person from Lovecraft's time and a modern person to see the same incomprehensible madness-inducing monster. But only the old timey guy goes crazy because it's not so much that no human mind can survive perceiving them, as a matter of the person's world view and state of mind. Since we're more used to a giant uncaring universe and all that, it's not nearly such a problem.

The actual, original, old-school accounts of werewolves from legend described them as slightly more man-shaped wolves standing up on two legs, but with wolf faces and full wolf pelts and all that. I don't know where you get the idea they're supposed to be mangled messes with skin hanging off and all that.

Though I do agree that movies undermine the scariness by skimping on the gore.

The hubris on these entitled cunts is disgusting.

eBook of The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft.

arkhamarchivist.com/free-complete-lovecraft-ebook-nook-kindle/

epub: arkhamarchivist.com/go/epub
mobie: arkhamarchivist.com/go/mobi

Every animal filters the world like this. It's just about fitness. There are beetles which only "see" shiny things, because over the millions of years that they evolved they only needed to "see shiny" to be able to see a mate and reproduce. And when bottle caps began to be littered everywhere it fucked with the male beetles to the point they would swarm the shiny bottlecaps and have a population crash. Animals which see more, sense more get overwhelmed, they have extra baggage which decreases their fitness, because they cannot as easily select for what increases their fitness - survival and reproduction. Being able to sense the world more clearly isn't an advantage it's a liability. Without our filters we are weaker, slower, more easily conquered. We build machines to sense the world for us, and that's far better because we can specialize our tools for specific fitness tasks.

H.P. Lovecraft is the Dark Souls of authors (v:

Dark Souls is the Lovecraft of computer games

"Computer games" is the Lovecraft of terms for video games

Dark Souls is the good game with shit community of videogames

I felt Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth handled this well. Spoilerths. Despite everything you accomplish, flying polyps, that you only briefly encounter two of as a random boss fight that doesn't seem to be connected to the rest of the story, are one day going to inherit the earth and there's nothing you could do.

Humanity (and our immediate ancestors) are the first species to really super-charge their own evolution by developing tools which do the job we used to have to rely on biology to accomplish.

Even beyond that, we're now starting to use those tools to make ACTUAL purposeful and deliberate changes to our genetic code and the genetic codes of other species. Tools shaping themselves to biology with is shaping itself to it's tools.

The only thing holding us back is our outdated morality, and fear of the unknown. A morality and fear that may well be justified, or may not, but it's not going to stop the trend. Especially if there's profit to be made.

Wonder what Lovecraft would think of Transhumanism? That very concept in itself might have been one of those things that would have driven people in his time to madness if they could fully comprehend it's implications.

Lovecraft was junkie hack who ripped off bible and just replaced everything with sea wildlife feature.
It is you who is pleb.

Heres a (you), put some effort into it next time

Transhumanism is based on the faulty premise that the brain is like a computer.

Hit the nail?

i got this,downloaded,finished, nothing can fill the void

Read a book sometime, nigger.

More like you hit yourself in the finger with the hammer and completely missed the nail entirely.

A.K.A: You look like a fucking idiot, bud.

Like the story where brains are put in jars?

No, it really isn't, but even so - it doesn't require that the brain operate like a computer, but that it can interface with a computer. You'd just need a software layer and the proper hardware to act as an I/O.

Which we already have.

fuck

Have you even read Lovecraft?

Bloody hell. Just… the arrogance is frighteningly cosmic.

Yes, I have.

This is why I always remind people how racist Lovecraft was, he even named his pet "nigger boy", if memory serves.

Nothing deters normalfags more than racism, it's sure to taint anything in their eyes.

The way he always does with the "man of science". And that some knowledge are best left unknown lest we can't handle it. But, god damn it, I need to know that!

And that's why we have SJWs trying to burn his books and erase his legacy.

Don't insult the size of your weenus

And that's when you remind them that the ebul Nazis burned books they didn't like, too, causing them to have a mental breakdown.

Or, you could always just take the books from them and run.

Don't you dare speak thy words, as nu-id is smelling the shekels at the impure thought of such thing happening… a remake.

These SJW types need to die off.

They're technically correct in claiming they'll be remembered better, considering they're a much greater source of cosmic horror and mind-rending insanity than even the darkest of Lovecraft's nightmares, and one that's much more grounded in horrifying reality too.

People are going to shit themselves with fear far more in 20 years when you mention 2016's mutant abominations masquerading as humans and their actions that almost/actually killed modern civilization, compared to when you mention Lovecraft's tales.

I don't recall ever hearing about anyone burning Lovecraft's books. Usually they just sanitize them and turn them into marketable cutesy trash.

The idea being that if the "image" if popular enough, nobody will give a fuck about the source, and they're unlikely to leave their safe-space bubble to find it. Even if they do, they'll either self-censor the work, or it'll cause them recoil back to the friendly image and ignore the original. The symbol has overtaken reality to become the new reality. Second Order Simulacra.

That's why we need to double our efforts and make Cthulhu so bonded to Lovecraft that they can't help but think of racism.

Sounds just as bad to me. A fire pit or an acid bath, both sound utterly reprehensible.

I hope that one day these people actually read Lovecraft and understand how little they matter.

You don't even need to have software to connect the brain to a computer.

I remember the Forerunner trilogy retconning the shit out of the early lore, with humans being alive in the time of the Forerunners being just one of the problems.

I pretty much agree with your selection, but I have to say that the quality scale should go more like Reach>Onyx>Strike. It's still good, but i'd recommend Cole Protocol over Contact Harvest if you want some of that human conflict. Evolutions is a very mixed bag, with some top tier stories, like Headhunters, but it also has some of the worst short stories i've ever seen published, like the one during Halo 2 where Chief for some reason removes his helmet, and it turns out one of the marines he's with is his childhood friend who has loved him ever since blablabla but she doesn't tell him for the sake of the mission.

Overall, not enough people give the series credit. It has it's problems, sure, but anything written by Eric Nylund is guaranteed to be great.

Someone wrote this, and thinks they have deduced something profound.

Bloodborne is the one of the few games that did Lovecraft good

The brain has no structures that are analogous to electronic computers. Describing the brain as a computer is only a convenient metaphor.

At least the dream stuff was interesting.

That's why I said,
ELECTROCHEMICAL
computer.

"Computer" has a specific meaning that brains don't fit. A brain doesn't take input, operate on it with an algorithm, and produce output. It doesn't have memory banks, or an instruction set, or anything else that even approximates the structure of conventional computer.

We use the computer metaphor not because it's correct, but because it's a) convenient and b) computers are at the forefront of technology. Back in Roman times people talked about the brain in hydraulic terms.

The closest comparison would be to refer the "brain" as a quantum computer. It's likely more accurate to call thoughts themselves as the quantum computer and those thoughts use the observer effect maintain the brain in specific states. In other words it may not be so much that your brain holds your thoughts but rather that your thoughts hold your brain. A Ba and Ka sort of thing.

It's public domain fam.

Some of my favorites right there, that's a good spread. I never tried his fantasy stylings, Dream Quest and Silver Key, but I feel I might as well this summer once I finish my Heinlein book.

Then how the fuck do you think we can even move?

Neurons do the job of a transistor.
Glial cells not only provide structure and maintenance they have also been found to do the job a hardrive does.

It technically retcons the shit out of the games, but in the good way where it doesn't really override any established fiction, it just fills in gaps adds new things that are resolved in ways that not only line up with older story, but add to it in neat ways. The Gravemind in the games is just a giant goo monster with some cool speech patterns, but once you have the context of the Forerunner trilogy he's actually a genuinely terrifying presence, and at times it almost feels like some of his in-game lines reference things that clearly weren't canon until the much later books.

It's a shame we'll never see a game capitalizing on that since 343 was too busy jerking off over how great Mass Effect 3 was to let someone with actual storytelling chops write a real plot.

A quantum computer requires environments that would destroy what our brains are made out of.

I know you're just shitposting, don't actually give a damn, but this is directly explained.

Turns out Forerunners are massive, politically incompetent cunts and the Flood that you fight in the games are baby-tier.

Maybe its just me, but most lovecraftian stories end up like this.
Rats in the wall and whisperer in the darkness actually were some of the ones that hit a homerun at the end with their creepiness.

If I remember correctly, Silver Key is basically Chim: the short story.

Hah, wasn't sold until 8 mins in. Interesting stuff.

But paper is better than a pdf, enough to be worth $30 for a ~1000 page compilation.

I'm just going to pretend this is bait

Fucking sucks, dude. Only good e-reader I ever owned was a Kindle 3.

Didn't circus shows and carnivals have shit like this all the time back in the day?

The problem is the west has never made good horror games, and Japan doesn't care about Lovecraft.

The buddhist mythology, however, does approximate many elements of cosmic horror and themes of weird fiction. The horror of games like Hungry Ghosts, Cosmology of Kyoto, for example - as well as non buddhist inspired titles like Shadow Tower: Abyss and Baroque - can easily be described as fundamentally Lovecraftian.

But they won't ever be by his "fans" because they don't hit the surface aesthetic signals: 19th century britain, working class protagonist, port cities/deep sea, mental breakdowns, etc. Thank god I'm not a fucking sperg.

Huh, I skipped them after Halo 4 and 5 made me incoherently angry at what 343 had done, but now i'll go back and check them out.

I also got Thursday War and Glasslands for my birthday, but I have heard that they were written by Karen "Mandalorians are the best you guys" Traviss, and she was one of the people who started the whole crusade against Halsey and made the Spartans into angsty little bitches whenever they discuss their childhoods. Is any of that true?

physical > digital, got that right. Meh, hadn't seen the other links before I posted.

586 replying to 486. Now that's some spooky shit right here pentium-kun.

Holy fuck, she doesn't only admits that she's raping the work of other one, she congratulates herself for doing it even saying that his work will overshadow the original, if she wants so bad to outstrip Lovecraft then why she doesn't make his own histories instead of ruining his? Also Daniel Jose is a big faggot.

I dont have my ebook software installed, otherwise I would copy/paste a few select quotes.

In Mortal Dictata (sequel to TW) Halsey is directly compared to Hitler on multiple occasions by different characters, including the smart AI who is meant to be completely objective about everything.

Glasslands is okay (although it wraps up the Nylund stuff way too quickly) and is relatively tame with the "fuck Halsey" stuff. Thursday War is kind of boring and the Halsey-ness starts to creep in more despite her barely being present in the book. Mortal Dictata has essentially no plot and is just a series conversations either obliquely or directly about how much of a cunt Halsey was, to the point where the main villain gets away scot-free because one of the good guys knew that feel, bro with regards to how much they both fucking hate Dr. Halsey. It goes beyond the point of them pushing a plot point because they need to tie into the games or "muh moral abiguity" and it turns it into a story where every character has the exact same thoughts and opinions.

Never realized how good ps1 textures are compared to some indie games

It's shit.

There's one prolific shill trying to convince people that Halo 4 and 5 are good, and that there's anything new worth consuming from the Halo universe. Same guy from the skybox thread, and the halo thread a week or so ago. Ignore him, his posting style is easy to track.

Faux-retro indie games bank on the fact that most people don't realize actual old video games still look better than their shit.

Metal Slug was 20 years ago and these fuckers make shit that would look bad on a Gameboy.

Ironically, there are 343 era things that were really, really promising (story wise). They set up a bunch of really neat, interesting, unique story threads (alongside plenty of shit ones too), all leading to Halo 5.

Which then took a big, runny, Cortana-colored shit all over everything, to the point where the series is now completely unsalvageable.

Its all about fear of being completely insignificant in a gigantic world, no?

Well, that's one thing among many. Lovecraft did write more than squid-faced alien gods from outer space, even if it was his most popular work.

But yes, part of his themes is realizing how utterly tiny we all are in the face of the infinite universe. We will live and die and in millions of years our sun will explode and the Earth will perish and the rest of existence will continue without ever noticing us.

Rather groundbreaking back in the day but nowadays people tend to just shrug it off. Lovecraft's theme of "we don't matter" only work when he introduces otherworldly and ethereal beings that are more fit to judge what does and doesn't matter. But in reality, the only ones who can assign any value to anything (as far as we know), is us. So if we matter to ourselves, that's good enough for most people.

Actually no, that's incorrect now that I remember, because they too–the aliens, the Old Ones, all of them–also do not matter. They appear grand and inescapable to us, but even they are but mere blinks of being in an endless, cold reality.

Jesus. Well, at least I can read those two. Hopefully after Halo 5 tanked HARD in sales, they will change a few things, like that fucking female Monitor.

Okay, this isn't about her being a girl, it is about how there is NO precedent for her to exist as she is, and she actually goes against several basic things with Forerunner design.

Blue=Good
Red=Bad
Purple=???

And don't get me started on the naming conventions. Exuberant Witness is named in the opposite manner of EVERY other monitor, because what, she's a girl? She doesn't have to conform? She is given way too much authority and power over the installation, but the little things put me off even more.

the horror comes from showing us how insignificant we are in comparison to beings that are only slightly more significant in the grand scale of things.

I know that in the end these little faggots have nothing but their minuscule, san fran, hugbox crowd
and yes her conceit pisses me off
but holy shit what makes me livid is that fucking line
I know that a shit-ton of "re-imagined" bullshit always tries to spin things in horribly retarded ways, but fuck most at least have the basics of the originals
this is like turning the SAW movies into children's books

Not all. There's a shitload of "science isn't good" which triggers speshul snowflakes really hard when they hear or read it from someone not aligned 101% with their own opinions. That often leads them to eat each other so Lovecraft reminds them of these painful events. Twitter PTSD is a hell of a drug.

A normalfag in a thread condemning normalfags.

I can see why it would be groundbreaking considering the time period in which it was written, being told that there is nothing to live for is incredibly terrifying to someone that doesn't have instant gratification to their every fucking want like these hipsters that completely miss the point.

I also still think it can be appreciated today if what you're telling me is a more or less accurate description of his works, the fact that we obsess over every little thing, is such a needlessly painful experience if it all doesn't matter anyway.

Seriously, horror doesn't have to have some happy, uplifting ending.

Literally the best thing that a Lovecraft protagonist can hope for is to escape with remnants of his sanity, and these faggots make it about hope and "finding urself :)".

Ovens.

Feels good man.

You're saying Lovecraft has himself become a lovecraftian horror? That's poetry man, it rhymes.

Monitors are just Forerunner ancilla made of humans who were Composed. (343 Guilty Spark being the ancient human Chakas) Could simply be that the Monitors encountered so far were Composed males, while that one was female.

I thought she was fine, apart from the fact that she went to the Lasky School of How To Be A Likeable Character where she just shows up out of nowhere when you really need help, is super friendly, helps you out a ton and then does some cool stuff to help you out all while being "funny". It just reeks of them trying to make a character people would latch on too in the most manipulative way possible instead of just making something interesting.

The naming convention with monitors has always been a bit weird, plus she's not in charge of a Halo so it makes sense she wouldn't need to be guilty about anything.

Also, Penitent Tangent was orange/red even before he got corrupted.

And I don't see how she had any more power over Genesis than 343 did over Alpha Halo or any other 343-era monitor has. Static Carillon ejects the fucking Gamma Halo control room for fucks sake and he wasn't even in charge of that ring.

The real issue, I think, is the fact that 343 just likes throwing monitors at everything, up to an including inventing a new Contender-class despite their whole thing being that they are unique and there were only two of them ever.

When this bubble pops there will be no survivors. But we must wait until then.

Replied to wrong person like a retard

When narcissism is the bread and butter of the modern day, of course it's going to shield against lovecraft's themes.

We need a total perspective vortex.

I agree
but my point was that with Lovecraft it NEVER did
even the ones that don't end in outright death more often than not boiled down to "well I'm completely fucked in the head after that, now to live the rest of my life desperately trying to not kill myself"
even at the most shallow level of understanding his work was always about inescapable dread
I barely even understand how these psychopaths are viewing his work
my only assumption is that they heard about the scary squidface meme man and attached a generic power rangers episode plot to it without ever reading a single story
I honestly don't understand how they'd come to such conclusions otherwise

Speaking of, any recommendations for that kind of horror, cosmic-or-otherwise?
Y'know the kind of story that goes "fuck, I saw something I shouldn't've and they're comin' ta get me, if I don't shoot myself first"

I always liked that part outta 'Dagon', guy saw all the amphibian bullshit and tried escaping, but knew he was fucked.

oh I know that, I think its plain to everyone that these hacks don't understand the works at all and only latch onto it because its trendy, just like everything else that they leach off of and move on after a few years

Left-leaning parasite is becoming a more and more accurate description of these people

They Live?

Seems to be sorta what you're looking for, not totally horror though, and at a certain point he stops trying to run away from the truth and decides to just kick ass instead.

The downside of the Internet is it has allowed large clusters of idiots to form, like nomadic retarded tribes.

That also irks me a bit, but I can live with it. It is the lesser evil.

He was red because the ring was in outbreak-mode, same reason they had Heavy Sentinels deployed.

Overall, I will never be able to be entirely rational where this series is concerned, I just have too much history with it. I will defend the good parts to the death, and purge the shit parts of the new stuff.

Your post gave me a flashback to back when I knew some spanish.

Apparently that's pretty much the name given to those groups in spanish 'tribus urbanas' - urban tribes. It's used as a catch-all for emos, punks, weeaboos, nerds, etc. because they are tribal retards.

Those tweets perfectly encapsulate what I hate about these people. When they "create" something, it's not about doing something that they love, it's about destroying something that they hate. They seek out to change everything so that it fits their world view.

I like how they have to repeatedly emphasis "THE REAL FANS ARE DEAD, WE ARE ALL THAT MATTERS NOW."

Well, in keeping with Lovecraft, I was thinking maybe something more unsettling then.
For example, I saw 'Shivers' a while ago and it was pretty legit.

user that's the worst thing, they're incapable of taking anything like it is. They're reading it but they're not reading it. They're metabolizing what is to what should be according to their twisted vision, nonstop.
Lovecrafts stories are the horror about what is in his world. That's unconceivable to them as they never see what is. They can't see, they can only vision. Their very being is more alien to a sane man than the weirdest abominations of the mythos world.

And in the very very short format of 'unsettlingness' I recommend the embedded short, especially at this time of night.

Monitors come in all colors, at least in 343 Halo. The only real constant is that, when rampant, they turn red.

I'm super pro shitting all over every aspect of Halo 5, but bitching about the color of an AI character makes it issues seem petty when in fact every single aspect of the plot is broken beyond repair. Big picture, man, big picture.

I'd recommend In the Mouht of Madness
It's basically a Lovecraft story not written by Lovecraft

Cthulhu was only a priest.

House on the Borderlands is pretty good for that sensation honestly, you can grab it off of Project Gutenburg.
Served as a big inspiration to a bunch of writers as well, but it's kind of a hard read at first until you get to the first 'action' scene after his dream.

I second this
Mouth of Madness is pretty good

While not cosmic, I really like this movie from the 70s called Race With the Devil. It's about a group of friends on a camping trip, but they stumble upon a cult sacrificing a girl. They get away, but they find that there's cult members everywhere, from little old ladies to the police. They shoehorned in some unfortunate action scenes, which is a shame, but there was some nice building dread and hopelessness and an unexpected downer ending

I know what I'm downloading as we speak

I love downer endings.

I caught my grandmother watching this. She passed out near the end, and I could not get her to watch the fucking ending. It saddened me and made me remember there is almost no converting normal fags to good taste.

Inconceivable scale is just that. inconceivable it takes cuts, which is why Both Lovecraft and Macrophile furry stuff are both better in writing you shit taste faggot.

That's how this genre should work
too many "horror" films give a happy ending

Everything is better in writing, manga is better than anime, anime is better than 3dpd. Abstraction makes things more enjoyable.

Definitely, but it just feels like a slap in the face of a basic detail. I hate when they get simple shit wrong or change it for no reason.

That's not even mentioning the complete change in UNSC aesthetic influence.

I prefer endings that can be summed up as "Shit's fucked but hey at least you're still alive."

Not quite a downer, but not really upbeat.

No, certain things are better in writing.
Just like certain things are worse in writing.
McFucking kill yourself with a side of Dies /lit/ fag you're going to wallow in mediocrity if you can't observe the good and bad in every medium.

Imagine anons: out there, because of the shitty genetic pranks the univers tends to like,there are people who literally cannot imagine as they read.

People who are incapable of actually picturing things from words.

That's why everything of some worth must always be butchered on a silver screen.

christ, what a pitiful existence

I'd agree if I could actually muster up any pity for them.

You're missing the point you autistic retard.

Nintendo have still been updating the trademark for the game after all these years . . . Even updating a trademark at the same time as the Wii Vitality Sensor (pulse measuring sensor). Could just be one heck of a coincidence though.

Horror movies shouldn't have that glimmer of hope moment, only shitty ones with sequel bait do that, and it pisses me off

Think something like the original Halloween, shit's fucked at the end, assuming we pretend all the sequels didn't happen, we know at the very least, Jamie Lee Curtis and the kids she was watching are scarred for life, there's no "hey at least you didn't die!" moment there, because there shouldn't be, the whole ordeal was, if nothing else extremely traumatic.

Then you look at modern horror movies, or worse yet the remakes of older horror movies, the protagonist(s) almost always find a way to kill the baddie, get the girl, and go on with their lives, with a little bit of a sequel baity moment at the very end.

THE BLACK PILL

Jeez, calm down dumbass. I was referring to the innecessary translations from one medium to the movies.

It's like… hey this is a really good book, let's make a movie.
hey this is a really good comic, let's make a movie.

I just do not understand the obsession with that. Directors can make great movies; artists can make great comics; why won't people give the original the fucking time of day until there's a movie, y'know?

The what now?

does /lit/ have some kind of sticky or guide for finding good copies of Lovecraft's works?

Dark Corners of the Earth? Desecrated by Zenimax.

radixjournal.com/journal/2015/10/6/the-black-pill?rq=black pill
I guess

…you realize red-pill was a thing before it became an expression right?

L O L

Also, you oughta be able to just search for that user. Search for 'complete works' or something like that. Then again I don't care for the format of a book, even if it's glossy & snazzy like pic related

Except the point of Cosmic Horror is the inconceivable nature of it all, if you consider or visualize it, even reading it, you are doing it wrong. You want to get on me on my case when I'm trying to explain to you how shit works better in different mediums, let me explain to you why you are understanding the mythos wrong.

You are insignificant to the point that even an quark to the scale of the universe would be more closely linked to scale. It is only described as (most) of old ones being literally inconceivable. Your puny notions of superiority, my puny notions of superiority, the waist size of a fat acceptance movement follower are literally inconcievably small in scale and complexity to them. If you are attempting to visualize it you are doing it wrong.

I don't need the protagonists to hop in a sportscar and drive off into the sunset at the end, I just feel like horror movies also like to shoehorn arbitrary bad endings just for some OOGA BOOGA last note that make me feel like I wasted my time watching the flick. Also sequel bait moments are a cancer and I hate them, even in good movies.

can't believe I'm saying this but that shitty movie game Until Dawn at least showed the main characters visibly traumatized by the experience, even if all of them survive.

Trips checked.

I can see what you're saying user, the whole point is that these things are just beyond our perception of reality, we only think up these physical forms for them because thats how we can rationalize their existence and our perception of them

The only Bungie-era monitors are 343 and 2401, the latter of which is always portrayed as orange/red (even on backwash and later in a transmission to 343). The only other Forerunner AI mentioned in pre-343 canon is Mendicant Bias in Contact Harvest, who isn't given a color, but they way his light is described makes it sound like a really bright white (in 343-era stuff he's green, but that's a different physical casing so whatever).

Claiming it is somehow a slap in the face that they made a monitor anything other than blue, even though there's nothing established that they need to be blue and also the that that it would be a shitty and needlessly confusing design decision to make all of these disparate characters literally identical.

Again, focus your anger. Be pissed about the fact that monitors used to be cool and unique, and now they're just throwing them around willy nilly. Or the fact that her entire character exists to spout exposition and be "lol so funny xD". Don't waste time bitching about the fact that they made a thing purple instead of blue, because it makes it so no one but crazy people (like me) will even care what your complaints are, even if the rest of them are valid. And people need to know how shit Halo 5 is, even if it requires extreme autism to get it done.

No.
Stop that, where you're going you don't fucking need that.

I meant the characters in these books, not the reader, the implication Im taking out of what you said is that the Old Ones are something wholly inverse to that of this world, but for whatever reason these characters are still able to perceive them in some way, rationalizing or justifying in their heads what they look lile simply because to not do so would be insanity

The descriptions of these creatures aren't the forms they take in this world or even forms they have, they are merely the product of worldly perception of the other-worldly

I have only talked about the colour stuff with one other person, I usually talk about how the designs are more anime than Starship Troopers now and how generally shit the plot is.

Though I do still believe most Forerunner tech aligns with the colour scheme. Sentinels are blue, until they start shooting, at which they turn red/orange. It seems to be a general indicator of threat level, and I liked that. I can accept that I may be wrong on that, however.

I really hope 5's failure will get their heads in the game for 6. They have a decent setup now, but if they keep going the direction they are, it will just flop.

Excuse you, the cat's name was NiggerMAN!

Man, I think I'd prefer there not be a sequel rather than one made under current Nintendo.

It's funny, if you look at movies from the 30s-50s, it was a time of happy movies with overly happy endings, but even at that time, horror movies still had downer endings, or at the very least, melancholy ones. I remember when I was a kid and watched the original Wolfman, the ending really bummed me out. The wolfman's father beats him to death with a silver cane, only to have the dead body change back to human and reveal that he just killed his own son, no happy wrap up, it just ends there.

Now every horror story ends the same way. The protagonist overcomes the threat, everything looks fine, and then BAM either the threat pops back up, or something happens to set up a sequel (because everything has to be a franchise).

There's a lot of bad things to be said for Rob Zombie's Halloween movies, but one thing I liked was in the second one, how everyone was messed up thanks to the events of the first movie. There was one part where the father of a girl who was killed in the first one has a break down and attacks Dr Loomis for writing a book and capitalizing on her murder. It was a great scene, and it's too bad it wasn't in a better movie.

That picture looks like he's snickering to himself over his cat's name.

Speaking of designs, it seems that 343 are the only ones who CAN'T get the armour right. Halo Wars had some nice looking marines while Anniversary armour looks much more like modern day kevlar. That shit's gotta be ablative, they're fighting against plasma, not slugs. Ensemble even made the Spartans look sleek without being overly rounded.

Hopefully Wars 2 will be decent, even without Ensemble.

Surely you mean 'sniggering'

Also, In The Mouth of Madness looks promising so far, thanks anons đź‘Ť

Sounds like Kill List, which is one of the damn best horror films i've ever seen.
It's about this guy and his friend, both ex-soldiers that become contract killers. While doing one of their raids, the men find some money in a safe and decide to escape from the place. Shit happens inbetween. Then the guy who contracted them gets mad and says that both they and their families will get killed unless they do one last contract. **They are told to kill some politician on his mansion, while sneaking in they say an human sacrifice taking place on the yard of the mansion. They try to stop it firing their guns at them and then what appears to be the cult leader raises his arms to get killed. I think they shot him but here's where shit hits the fan and the movie turns full horror, the cultists start chasing them through some sewers and the friend of the protagonist gets hurt and he has to mercy kill him. This whole chase scene is great on every regard, one of the most tense and scariest scenes out of any horror film. He then flees to his house to meet his family and realizes that the tires of his cae have been slashed.
Then he gets hit unconscious and when he wakes up this noise/ambiance is playing on the background, he is stripped from his clothes and wearing a mask. The cultists force him to fight "the hunchback" as his last contract, not a word is spoken during this scene. After he wins the knife fight, the cultists uncover the hunchback to reveal his wife with his son strapped to her back and then the cultists remove their masks to reveal they are the girlfriend of his friend and the victim. He is crowned by them.**
Damn good film, hated by critics for some reason, reminds me of that Kubrick film Eyes wide shut or open i dont remelber.

Who knows, maybe he had an revelation that nearly a hundred years into the future when the full impact of his genre of horror loses it's effectiveness, there will still be San Fran hipster faggots having conniptions over his cat's name instead.

he's right, if it isn't a master with a whip it'll be their own vices that rule over niggers.

It's probably the succinct rendition of why they exist.

the most succinct*

Except that it still is, and it's not an intrinsic part of society but the natural disposition of humans as a species. Becoming numb to the idea of Lovecraftian horrors is because of the advancements of science and everyone boiling Cthulhu down into giant tentacle aliens that comes with a magical insanity aura with wacky craziness as the go to side effect for said insanity. As if alien geometries breaks your mind like some toxic substance.

Except basically no one cared about Lovecraft in the 20's, and his popularity, along with the sentiments you're discussing were mostly post-WWII. People like Lovecraft because he serendipitously stumbled upon a style which exploits the reader's basic fear of the unknown with hamfisted appeals to nihilism, probably as a result of his generally sub-par writing and misanthropy.

I'm surprised such an ego is able to fit within 140 characters.

Body Snatchers from 78.

You don't belong here.

I'm the user who originally brought up the forerunner books in this thread, I just wanna say that is the fairest summery of the kilo 5 trilogy i've seen.

A lot of people say all 3 are shit, but in reality the first two are decent but on the lower end of the spectrum for halo books. It's only the third that's actually awful. The first one actually manages to bring up the moral grayness of halsey's actions in an actually engaging way.

Also, forerunner novels didn't retcon anything about humanity. Even as far back as halo the terminals make it very clear humanity and the forerunners are not the same. Ironically, halo 3's limited edition stuff also mention the precursors, which play a major role in the forerunner books which you should not get spoiled on at all costs.

Cmon man I just recommended the forerunner books in here don't be spoiling shit about them monitors

C U T E
U
T
E

I honestly don't mind the forerunner visual aesthetic in 343 stuff. It's a natural progression from how it looked in reach and how it looked in reach compared to 3 and so on.

The UNSC's aeshetics getting butchered, on the other hand are awful. Thankfully some of it like the DMR is still fine but everything else is shit style wise for the faction. Covenant stuff is a mixed bag. In 4 a lot of the guns and stuff looked great for the covenant, following the design ashetics they had in reach and making it even better (pic related) but others like elite armor and environments looked bad. In 5, they applied the hyper organic shit to guns and vehicles now too. I don't think it's that bad, and does look cool to a degree, but it's inconsistent and almost looks flood like.

Anyways, I really like 5's MP.. If 6's MP is as good as 5's and it's SP is as good as 5's MP was, it could legitimately be the best halo game.

We should really move this back towards the cosmic horror elements of halo

Eh, Halo 4 sorta revealed that bit of info anyways.

>tfw I met Greg Bear and he signed my copy of Primordium

why didn't you c0da it

The armor design aesthetic got switched around once 343 grabbed the series. Everything up to Reach had Marines and Spartans with plated armor.

343 comes around and decides ">muh kevlar" is what would be used for Marines, and ">muh mesh bodysuit" for Spartans.

Also note that ODSTs, partly notable for their very neatfully-plated armor, completely vanish from the games altogether. Lorewise it's because they've been replaced with Spartans, but it seems like a sort of excuse because they couldn't find a way to keep ODSTs when the Special Snowflake Spartan IVs exist in the same room

Underrated post.

That's actually pretty nice. Those stage gimmicks are interesting.

Anyone else have a problem with how they gutted the entire soundscape? Did Bungie have a stranglehold on the .wavs or something? A Warthog sounds like a Mongoose, and a Mongoose sounds like a go-kart. Some of those basic sounds have been present in every installment, even Wars got them right, but I noticed from the first level in 4 that they ruined the whole thing. Weapons weren't safe either. ARs don't fire with an angry roar of bullets and Plasma Rifles don't have the same hiss of plasma on impact.

overpriced proprietary technology

tl;dr: "i vape"

Feel free to name a game that is the closest

I wish people knew how to separate the two. One is not always associated with the other.

I hope it's not one of those edited by the people in
These people clearly never read any of his stories or even vaguely understood the themes of it. The worst part is that they are completely smug about their ignorance. What kind of human being can be proud about being dumb? You hit the nail on the fucking head. These people are the worst kinds.

It's possible. Marty apparently had the rights for certain halo audio stuff

Some of Halo 4 and 5 do have very good sound effects though, and CEA/H2A sound fucking stellar:

youtube.com/watch?v=16LAohqD8jw
youtube.com/watch?v=pstN_ZfCGzs

Truly this would be horrible. One of the best ways to kill time when bored and nothing to do is to daydream.

Thats just the thing. Everyone seems to be doing it nowadays, even the big corporations. Look at new Doom, it's not Doom 4 or an offshoot like Quake. It's Doom. And battlefield is battlefield 1. Nowadays all anyone seems to do is replace the old with new, use the same name and try to wipe its former legacy.

This happens in movies, comics and games as well, with blackwashing and everything else.

None of them are talented enough to create something new, they can only copy and try to destroy what came before, usually with an agenda like the dumb bitch and the faggot that were posted earlier.

I think it's all to remove our culture, and make no mistake, the west has culture. theres the european past, the industrial era, the current era were in now definitely has culture, as well as a lot I havent mentioned. Hell, the internet culture , memes and gaming culture as it is now was largely created by the west. Its why they try to subvert all of it all the time.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was one of the best examples of this. Even though the girl lives at the end as she escaped from the crazed Leatherhead, she clearly would be fucked up or have to go through years of therapy. I wish there were more horrors like that, personally.

Sorry, *Leatherface

I'm not denying the utter lack of talent, but part of this whole "reboot" craze probably stems back to the 2008 economic collapse. Nobody was investing shit, and everything had to be a blockbuster - or you could lose your ass. There was very little free captial for innovation or creating masterpieces. Everything, even moreso than before, had to be derivative shit of something else that was proven to sell - and if you could either erase the original, or turn the public against the original, all the better. This most heavily affected the large studios and publishers, but it's trickled down to anyone who make a safe bet on a risky proposition. Now, even with the economy doing much better, we're in kind of a "reboot culture" where this garbage practice has been normalized and expected.

Kind of like how the overall quality of anime tanked with the Japanese economy, and (granted, while they reboot less than us) they stick to proven markets and following perceived popular trends. That's why there's fewer Triguns and Cowboy Bebops, and most stuff is high-school moe shit, kids trapped in VR, or other crap that the NEET whales will drop a fortune on in merchandise.

Ensemble actually had to make the armour bulkier so spartans would look obvious from the camera perspective used

I saw that coming, but I still chuckled.

Ive always seen that as more a consequence of marketing and over inflated budgets rather than the games. If they'd cool it on the flare and promotional bullshit some losses wouldnt be so bad.

Makes you wonder though if the indie scene will overtake the AAA scene like T.V has for movies

Anime was always about cuteness you chucklefuck. You saw two anime in your whole life as a little shit and now you imagine that that is how it ought to be for all of them.

A furry shitposting weeaboo's independent (And I mean actually independent it was niche enough to avoid the clique) game did pretty well, if it makes you feel any better.
Might make you unhappy if I tell you what it is called, but it will probably nake you happier that besides tertiary merch it didn't actually sell any better when you know who's started doing you know what and their fanbases collectively exploded their normalfaggot pants off and promptly changed all their online avatars to be related to it and probably will change again when the next "big thing" comes out that you know who plays it and the cycle of cancer resets.

Looks like Kos

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I heard that most anime is produced at a loss. A lot of the animation studios are running in the red, and those that aren't - have a small stable of top selling animations which everyone tries to ape. It's precisely the sales of all that flare and figurines and bullshit which is keeping these studios afloat. Not the DVDs or broadcast licenses.

As for indie games replacing AAA, I dunno if that's a good thing. Sure, a most of the best games in the last… shit, almost the last decade, were indie titles - but they also saturate the market full of shit titles that nobody wants, and many of those are pretentious artfag trash that they'll scream about how racist/sexist/classless/whatever because you didn't buy it.

Flooding the market with shit shovelware, especially when most content delivery platforms (like the Play Store, Steam, Windows Marketplace, etc) don't have a reliable and efficient means of filtering out the garbage.

That could seriously lead to another crash. AAA, as shit as it is, almost needs to stick around just to act as a pillar for the majority of normalfags to sink their money into in order to keep the market relevant. Even the worst AAA trash is demonstrably better than mobile shovelware. That market would be totally unsustainable if it weren't for f2p bullshittery and whales that enable it.

This is probably a joke, but I'll take the bait; I'm sure someone out there actually believes this. No shit, DBZ was fine when you're 9 years when you first watched it, but you could not stomach it if you watched it today. Almost every fight boils down to 20 episodes of build up, then one character completely overpowers the other with bare-bones Toei quality and then they have a staring contest for another 5 episodes or whatever with Krillin wincing and grunting in the background.

Also, stop watching the shitty anime recommendations you saw on reddit.

Yeah, you're right. I forgot how cute Golgo 13 was. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a Duke Togo body pillow to go order.

Why does this have terranigma music?

It is actually a nice game, shame it looks like a minecraft ripoff

Pretty much. Just look how they talk in They talk about reshaping and subverting it. Subversion is something these people just love to do. They want the term Lovecraftian to be disassociated with the author so they use the term to describe whatever they want in order to dilute it. They want it to be just another genre adjective like steampunk.

That's 100% what's going on. There's a huge push for a globalized one nation world, so in order to do that, they need to erase parts of history to make it more inclusive. That's why we have shit like casting a nig as Sir Lancelot. People don't read anymore, so they get all their info from movies and TV. Portray a white person as black enough times and people will start to accept that as fact. Keep it up and people will start to believe Europe was always a multicultural dreamland.

Right now we're on the fast to the events of Fahrenheit 451. Remember, in the book the government didn't originally set out to get rid of all books, the people did that all on their own. Blacks claimed books were racist and ripped pages from them, Jews claimed they were anti-Semitic and ripped more pages, Women claimed they were sexist and ripped out pages they didn't like, and before too long all that was left was the covers. The government just saw how willing some people were to go along with censorship, and how apathetic the rest of the population was, so they took advantage of that.

It is a garbage game made by a SJW dev.

That's the real future we've been headed for
It's really shocking the number of people who can't sit down and read books anymore

reading on a mobile will NEVER EVER be as good as reading out of an actual book. It's the one thing I will not pirate.

But user, why would I read a book when I can skim the Wikipedia entry? Just like why would I play a game when I can watch someone else do it on YouTube?

Shit nigga, what you mean READ a Wikipedia article. Ain't nobody got time for that. Just watch the Thug Notes instead.

Fourth Wall horror is the best.

To be fair, he also hated inbred backcountry white trash and their coonery.

Vampires is because anti-semitism is bad, goyim

Do schools even teach history anymore?

What?

These people don't care about perspective even if they were taught otherwise

Blood is the currency of the soul, user.

It's just that these people can not conceive of a society where racism was the norm. Or rather, "racism" since looking down on niggers and actively wanting to hang them all are two different things.

You're a shit.

So what do you all think of The Consuming Shadow?
It's got a lot going for it, it just needs more experienced devs working at it.

We have immigrants, just not the parasitic leeches you seem to have.

I still don't understand

After reading through this thread I got a hankering for some lovecraft horror, so I looked through my dads bookshelves and only found this one.

Where should I start and where should I go once i've finished this book?

Vampires are based on the parasitic nature of the Jew.

ATMOM is an excellent read. The Thing on The Doorstep is one of my favourites.

Do you still wash your clothes by hand or ride a horse? perhaps you wash cook your food in a potbelly too? go back to the old folks home you geriatric fuck.

At the Mountains of Madness is my favourite, try that, it's a good read

Lovecraft is a surname you dumb fucking nigger. How about you try google first instead of looking like a massive fucking retard.

Well, you have the Omnibus #1, when you are done with this one, buy the next 2, they are like 5$ each on Amazon.

Not a game, but rick and morty does this pretty well.

Three words

Render it with modern hardware to fix the PSX jittering (at a higher resolution while you're at it) and add AA. Bam.

Why? It worths mentioning, that game had a flimsy but plausible in-universe excuse for blasting horrors with a shotgun. Sure, I would have loved it even more if whole game was more like "I don't get it and I gotta run" like the introduction/investigation/adventure gaem part and stuck with the original story all the way.

What was that old point and click game that HR Geiger made that was pretty spooky

Dark Seed

He didn't work on the game, they just licensed some of his existing art.

no. That excuse doesn't work when they're making a game that is supposed to be about the source material.
You can't butcher a game and then say,

What kind of backwards logic is that?

While I agree with the sentiment, the guy used a bunch of awful clips and examples to work off of.

Rather than say, Morty seeing his own dead body and being told it doesn't matter, or any number of times they step through the portal into something horrific.

callofcthulhu-game.com/

Looks like they released a couple of new images.

This doesn't really have shit to do with Lovecraft, but I just had a thought that it would be neat to have a game with a set-up where each time you die, you return, but subsequently have to hide/bury/destroy your own body.

Nice, but I don't think they'll deliver. Their stories are just disconnected pieces of fluff to tie in whatever setting you'll be going through next.

Wasn't that book riddled with typos and other errors?

It's the stronger case for how much you don't matter at a cosmic scale. It is very similar thematically, just lacking in tentacles.

I want to play it.

Get pic related. It has all stories, good quality, has a hardcover and comes with a case.

The actual monsters and creatures of the lovecraft universe are only a small part of what makes the stories what they are.

What's most important is the reactions these anomalies lead to when they surface in the established world, and he just excelled at describing that. At face value, none of the lovecraftian horrors would be all that moving, were it not for the intricate world around them that believably reacts.

Take Pickman's model. The plot is simple and you could barely interest a ten year old with it
What makes it a good and intriguing story is the setup and introduction, how the protagonist copes with it and describes what he's seen.

That's why no one 'gets it' when it comes to videogames. You could have the best kind of representation of all lovecraftian gods and creatures, when put into a hack and slash this isn't lovecraftian.

Just has enemies, areas and lore inspired by the themes. The game itself is as related to lovecraft as any ARPG is.

I saw that in the store, but I already have one of pic-related, so I passed on it.

Oh well.

Denis Dyack is creating a spiritual sequel after two failed kickstarter attempts, he just announced it's still being worked on and will probably reveal more around E3.

A lot of people are saying it will be bad because of the negative reputation Dyack and post Eternal Darkness/MGS: Twin Snakes Silicon Knights had, but I'm willing to give it a chance since Eternal Darkness is one of the better console horror games even to this day.

played it for the first time two or three years ago so i don't have nostalgia clouding judgement, it's an entertaining story with a few flawed/dated gameplay mechanics and lots of cool horror elements few games use to this day

I saw kill list yesterday and really enjoyed it. Could you recommend me something similar?

This is entertaining. Thanks user, I will watch more of this.

you'd think with all those shinto mythology Lovecraft would at least spare one older one for japan

This always comes up.

It's been a while since I read Call of Cthulhu, but as far as I remember, Cthulhu was awoken too early or incorrectly, which is why he was dragged back down when Rl'yeh sank again. The fact that the sailors stumbled upon Rl'yeh before the cult could find it and help bring about the End Times properly is the only final victory of the narrative (and they still almost all died or went insane regardless).

The boat thing is a bit silly, but I think the story did mention that Cthulhu's head immediately began to reform after the impact, before Rl'yeh sank and Cthulhu went down with it anyway.

Although 'final victory' is the wrong term of course. Only delaying the inevitable, etcetera.

Which is even funnier considering the cult was looking for it for like 2000 years, if my memory serves me.

Yeah Cthulhu got his ass kicked hilariously in that one instance, but in the grand scheme of things he could successfully resurrect in the next 10 years or 100,000 years, it doesn't matter to him.

People also have to remember that at that point, a lot of people were raised to believe that we were somehow special, that Earth and humanity were really important. People today aren't really raised to believe that anymore, which is mostly why Lovecraft's works don't make people as uneasy as they used to.

What was that controversy with the hugo awards? And wasn't there some attempt to dethrone lovecraft from his place in some museum with a black lady

What audiobooks would you suggest for Lovecraft's books?

To the anons what recommended 'In the mouth of madness' big ups. Really liked it.

I mean, they evey used 'stygian void'. I rate it two asymmetrical palps up

There are at least two Lovecraft games being made right now, but I don't have a lot of faith in either of them unfortunately.

A shame that which sleeps looks like it's gonna tank. Was really hoping something nice would come out of that kikestarter.

I disagree. Go read the Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath. People overestimate the extent to which Lovecraft's fiction is totally hopeless–some of his work is, but he wrote several stories that were as much about wonder as horror. It's totally possible to write a genuinely Lovecraftian story where the protagonist has a satisfying happy ending, you just can't do something like kill Nyarlathotep you can "beat" him in a more narrow sense, though.

I can only recommend german audiobooks, haven't find a proper english collection. Post a name if you happen to find good ones.

German ones would be "Bibliothek des Schreckens", most read by David Nathan, some by Lutz Riedel.

*haven't found, jesus christ

People always overstate the importance of the ending. At the Mountains of Madness isn't about the horror the researchers face in the end, but discovering and exploring a long abandoned alien city. A Shadow over Innsmouth is about adventures in a spooky coastal town filled with weirdos and has a happy ending where the main character reunites with his long lost family. Call of Cthulhu is actually just s journal of investigation, in a sense the main character, the writer, "wins" by solving the mystery.

Didn't that guy who narrates Darkest Dungeon do Lovecraft audiobooks?

He has the perfect voice too.

You're right, Wayne June, embed related.

I was looking forward to this game. I hope it comes out but it sounds like it was probably dead in the water since the devs stopped responding.

This guy was the best thing about that game. I didn't like the gameplay that much but the atmosphere was pretty neat.

I have to partially disagree at Bloodborne. Some of the NPCs can be seen as contributing a part of that "reactions" element you say is missing.

Commie

That is true i suppose. Still, the ratio is all off, Bloodborne is 90% tentacle monster blood fest. Your typical Lovecraft story is pretty much the other way around.

Yeah, it's not what people looking for Lovecraft really want. But I do feel like it's a small step in the right direction by a AAA game dev.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure I remember Cthulhu flying away at the end, which is what causes the guy to be afraid of what might happen eventually now that the creature is out there somewhere.

Watch the movie versions made by film students or other low-budget producers, most of them are pretty good and close to the original stories.

The Whisperer in Darkness
Die Farbe (The Color)
The Call of Cthulhu

There's a few more, but I remember those three to be great.

I have this too. Is this missing anything from the complete collection? I always wondered, since the title is only Best Weird Tales, as if other ones didn't make the cut

Yes, there is something like a second part in fact !
Lots of stories, some information, lots of spooky pottery
amazon.com/Eldritch-Tales-Miscellany-H-Lovecraft/dp/0575099356

Lovecraft's horror is not just about how you don't matter, but also about how your actions and choices don't matter and you can't really make any in the first place. I can think of at least two stories in which someone is fucked just because of their ancestry and not because of anything they can change. The focus is on discovering knowledge, not on doing things, and that doesn't translate well to a game.

There are exceptions. One story is basically "don't fuck with cats or they'll eat you alive".

And there is the crux of the matter. It's not that they actually believe the shit they tell the normalfags, it's about destroying Western civilization and everything about it.

Thank you very much for your help, I'll be having fun listening to such a narration.