System Shock 2

About to dive into this badboy for the first time. Hear it's the game that Bioshock was a spiritual sequel too (which I enjoyed despite no apparent penalty for dying), and that it's like a more exploration and RPG like, less actiony version of Dead Space/ Resident evil 4 (which I loved and have beaten on Impossible/Professional).

What class do I start with? What is a "fair" difficulty? How does saving work? Is it like a checkpoint/auto save system or something like a savepoint system (i.e like dead space and RE4).

Haven't played SS in years, don't remember the answers to your questions. I don't even remember if the game had class system or not. But it's going to take a long time getting used to control system if you never played an old game before. Also I think this game was in a bundle, or was free a few years ago. If you're looking to buy it on steam you can probably find it for much cheaper in some trade sites for keys.

Also, there were some talks about remaking these, I don't know what came out of that, might worth checking it out.

Stop comparing it to games released later and asking these faggots about it, just dive into it. These fuckers don't even play videogames.

You probably want Marine or Navy your first time through. PSI requires a lot of investment before it really pays off.

I'd start on Normal or wahtever one above that is. Not Impossible though. The game's difficulty ramps up quite a bit, your supplies are finite, and enemies respawn.

Saving is fairly old school. I believe it autosaves after a loading screen/area transition. Other than that, it's on you to save your game.

Go ahead, you're bound to enjoy it.

It's like Bioshock except you have to load when you die, it has proper character progression on par with RPGs, the graphics are surprisingly okay for it's age, and it has some pretty damn memorable moments.

The only real problem is the balance, guns break to easily and wrench becomes way too strong if you get too invested in conventional weapons skill. Well… the ending is a bit too silly considering the tone, though, but nonetheless it's pretty satisfying.

put your points into standard weapons and hacking. the game is unbeatable if you don't have a certain number of points into hacking, and all of the other weapons are shit. also marines are OP so play that class

Thanks for the advice. I have a real bugbear about saving anywhere though, especially in games like this. What is the point of playing an atmospheric, scary, survival horror game if you can just save scum your way through it?

There's no sense of danger or risk if you have a 2 minute old save you know you can fall back on.

Nice dubs. Yeah I heard it's supposed to be breddy gud.

Interdasting, ok!

SS2 also has resurrection chambers but they cost currency.

Are there any mods to make it more… I don't wanna say modern friendly, but I can't think of any other way to put it.
I'm just talking about shit like 1920x1080 resolution, bug fixes, stuff like that. Not anything that actually impacts the gameplay unless there's something totally retarded about it. Graffix are optional

Just started SS1 myself, I have some questions.
1. Is it worth playing through or should I just skip to the second game?
2. Pic related drives me up the wall, what's the best way to kill these fucks?
3. Cyberspace is really trippy, any pointers for navigation?

Point at them and click on them

Yeah, but they seem to do insane amounts of damage and occasionally just shrug off my shots. Do they have a weird shaped hitbox or something?

2. lean and shoot

The GOG and Steam releases already come with NewDark, which includes widescreen resolution support and bug fixes.

I always get to the bit after the irradiated tunnels and stop playing, I don't like this game too much and I'm not sure why.

While save scumming does take the edge off a bit, the atmosphere makes up for it. Standard weapons are you go to. Once you beat the game once you can have a map in your mind and plan out builds in advance, tho most are novelty there is this one weapon that fires laser orbs, require like 5 in heavy weapons or something and doesn't do as much damage as is required to use it
Oh and be sure to do a melee run. I found it much easier than my first run because of ammo conservation… because.. you didn't waste any ammo…

You don't really have to savescum. I forget the game's explanation for it, but in each area until the endgame, there are devices you can log into that will reconstruct you upon death for a minor fee. I guess as long as you make reaching these a priority in each area, you won't really have to make your own saves for most of the game.

So the game goes from insta-death to 'oh, I'm now essentially immortal'….

The game goes from a tense navigation to the resurrection chamber, and then turns into a series of tense navigations from the resurrection chamber to the next objective.

You're only as immortal as you are rich.

Maybe it's just because I played it when it came out, but I never really felt "immortal". The atmosphere is (or at least was) top-notch. Think of the creepiest parts of Bioshock, and spread that over an entire game.

Not very tense when death becomes a minor inconvenience.

It's only a minor inconvenience if you have an amply supply of nanites on hand in the event that you die, but considering how many the game takes upon death then your first playthrough is usually going to leave you with only a few at any given point

Revival stations are also spaced out appropriately so there's never any within close proximity to each other, and if you enter a new area without getting to it in time or if you die without the nanites necessary to revive, then the game boots you back to the title screen which could result in a ton of lost progress

My first playthough I was a total shitter and got mauled to a game over by monkeys. Maybe I'm just horrible, but death certainly felt a lot more meaningful than in Bioshock.

Death is a minor inconvenience in any game.
Delete your save every time you die if you want death to be a nuisance.

OP here. About to start the game on Impossible. Seems like it takes 10 nanites on death. Is that a lot? Do I not just make sure to keep topped up with those?

Big different with say Resident Evil 4 or Dead space, where you need to restart from the last save point, to immediately getting thrown back into the same level with all the items etc you picked up already (OP here, just from my understanding).

You don't have to go running around loaded to the gills with it, but you should probably keep a small buffer just to be safe. I wouldn't go under 20 nanites, generally.

system shock 2 is OK. Falls apart at the end, game was clearly rushed and it hurt the end product significantly. Easily Looking Glass Studios worst game. System Shock 1 is very good.

Thief 1 and 2 are their best games.

Can you expand on this?

The ending is like the best part lmao opinionated moron alert