Hey Holla Forums, I'm running linux currently, but I've decided WINE is a pain for vidya

Hey Holla Forums, I'm running linux currently, but I've decided WINE is a pain for vidya.

I don't have space on my system to dual-boot, but I do have a 2TB external hard drive sitting around.

What I want to know is, can I install Windows 7 onto it, and dual boot with it connected by USB?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/YDoXX
webupd8.org/2010/10/create-bootable-windows-7-usb-drive.html
archive.is/ZZgWY
techjourney.net/windows-10-enterprise-pro-home-education-isos-released-on-msdn-downloads/
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads/hh442898.aspx
github.com/slacka/WinUSB/blob/master/src/winusb
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dual_boot_with_Windows
reactos.org/
reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3lno0t/gpu_passthrough_revisited_an_updated_guide_on_how/
archive.is/RSJg7
ghacks.net/2015/06/01/how-to-block-the-windows-10-update-notification-in-earlier-versions-of-windows/
github.com/th3power/aegis-voat
github.com/th3power/aegis-voat/releases/tag/v1.18
hardocp.com/article/2016/03/28/rise_tomb_raider_dx11_vs_dx12_review
hardocp.com/article/2016/04/17/hitman_2016_performance_video_card_review/10
hardocp.com/news/2016/04/08/what_went_wrong_quantum_break_on_pc63
please
archive.is/O9cyN
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

why not install windows 10 instead so you can enjoy the superior gaming performance of DirectX12?

Windows 7 also spies on you with telmetry if you don't configure it properly and avoid certain updates. it's just as easy to de-botnet W10 as it is W7. W10 is the superior OS for gaming.

and yes, you can install another OS on a separate HDD instead of dual booting. it's even easier since you can simply choose which drive to boot from the BIOS.

DON'T DUAL BOOT ON A SINGLE HDD
it'll fuck up your system if you ever delete the linux partition. Use seperate HDDs for each OS, and use grub to select which to boot.

First of all, why didn't you ask Holla Forums?
Second, why can't you just put any files you don't need on the hard drive instead?
Finally, why are you using meme software?

he didn't ask Holla Forums because it's a linuxcuck circlejerk that refuses to discuss any kind of proprietary software, including Windows. they don't even play anything other than the handful of libre linux games like Super Tux Kart.

I'm not, I'm asking if I can install win7 to an external HDD and dual boot from there.

Also why and how did this thread post twice?

I will never install windows 10, especially not after all the horror stories I've heard about it.

No need to nowadays;

archive.is/YDoXX

windows 10 isn't bad once you disable all the spyware and bloat. you should pirate the Enterprise LTSB version of it that comes without Cortana, Edge, several other botnet "features", and allows you to completely disable auto-updates.

holy shit

just pirate and castrate windows 7 for your gayming uses, why would you want windows 10?

DX12. it doesn't take that much more time to de-botnet W10 than it does W7 so why not use W10 instead?

it's not about DX12 exclusives, it's about all the games that support both DX11 and DX12, which all run far better with DX12.

Plug in your HDD once you get winblows installed. Then If you have grub, you'll need to get os-prober on whatever distro you have. Execute os-prober, then type in console:

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

this works on arch linux at least, probably different for ubuntu.

such great games, like…

if you only play old games you may as well just install Windows XP. who needs DX10 or DX11 if all modern games are shit?

Don't avoid the question shill, what are those great dx12 games?

Name 2. Neither can be a W10 exclusive or have a DX12 patch applied after release. I'll wait.

Wine works fine if you configure it correctly.

E3 is happening in 2.5 weeks and I have some insider info about a few new PC games that will be revealed that you WILL want to play in the future. they will not be W10 exclusives, but they will of course support DX12 just like every other PC game from now on will. if you install Windows 7 now you will regret it. you will be playing games at a silky smooth 40fps while W10 users are playing at 60-100fps with the same hardware.

Then I'll just use windows 7 because it takes less time to de-botnet.

What's the matter, schlomo? Does that bother you for some reason?

Can I install windows directly to the hard drive somehow? I really don't want to risk erasing my entire HDD since I have irreplaceable shit on here.

I'm shit at wine, that's my main issue.

There's one, and I won't be paying for it, because I know I'm just going to be betrayed again.

You have yet to say a name.

Fine, name one single game you honestly think the average Holla Forums user would be swayed by enough to consider W10 a worthwhile 'upgrade'.

Just one.

enjoy your silky smooth 40fps obsolete DirectX11 OS.

it doesn't matter if you buy it or pirate it, you will still wish you could play it with DirectX12.

I can almost guarantee there will be a sequel to at least one of your favorite video game series announced at this year's E3, it will be on PC, and it will support DX12 (and also DX11 if you want the 720p/20-40fps/FXAA third world gaming experience).

yes, put in the windows boot CD / USB you have in your pc, then select your external HDD when it asks you where to install it.

I recommend making a backup partition on your external HDD, containing all the files you want to keep on there, then installing windows on a seperate partition. Gparted works great for that.

Say the name, dumb kike.

Hey shill, you know that since I'm the OP I can disable bumps by IP, right?

No one will see your work here, no one is convinced. You may as well pack up and go home.

I actually just found this, it recommends GParted.
webupd8.org/2010/10/create-bootable-windows-7-usb-drive.html
archive.is/ZZgWY

Alright here's what you do

either wipe and install windows first or install windows on another hard drive. bceause windows writes the whole hard drive because ayy lmao
install linux as usual but shorten the main ntfs partition and then install linux on the remaining space
and install the bootloader on the hard drive, by default you would boot into ganoo+loonix, but you can use os-proper to add in a menu entry in the bootloader to boot into windows.

regardless of all that, in terms of privacy issues, windows cant read ext partitions, at least it doesn't show you it doesn't read it :^)

my dad works at DX11 and he says you're wrong

OP bumplocked your IP, so good riddance

there's no point, no matter what game I name you will just say it's shit. if I provided solid proof that Half-Life 3 would be released, you would still say it's shit and that every other game in the series was also shit.

I am aware, yes. I have been schooling scrubs like you on how to use computers on Holla Forums for over 5 years, newfriend.

Is it you? Have you come back to me after all this time?

wew

I'm talking about the DX12 guy faggot.

Well, try. Say names of dx12 games that are going to be at e3, if not already confirmed post proof you are not bullshitting.

I have heard that win doesn't work very well installed on portable drives. Maybe you should install win on the internal drive and linux on the external.

Tell me supposed forth-seer, why should anyone bother when virtualization of W10 with DX12 in linux is already perfect? Is there some sort of magical property to running W10 as a native OS?

Virtualization runs on bare metal nowadays with no OS overhead. Even if what you were saying was true about DX12 Linux users will still have the best experience in regards to gaming on PC in the foreseeable future.

This video is over 2 years old. The performance difference today isn't 95%, it's practically immeasurable.

if you want to run W10 in a VM instead of dual-booting go right ahead. I'm just saying you should use W10 instead of W7 for gaming because W7 is obsolete now.

I'll pirate Enterprise as soon as the official Hashes are posted by MS

It wouldn't really be dualbooting, since Win7 would be the only operating system on the system. Yes, you can boot from your external, and yes, you can install win7 on it.

Hell, you could install it on a flashdrive if you wanted.

That passes through the gpu, but the processor and ram are still loading 2 operating systems. Not a big concern for most games, but it could slow down cpu intense programs.

I don't know if M$ has posted them anywhere publicly but they are officially listed if you have a MSDN Subscriber account for the low price of about $2,000/month. the hashes are listed publicly on many arguably legit sources like TechJourney:

techjourney.net/windows-10-enterprise-pro-home-education-isos-released-on-msdn-downloads/

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads/hh442898.aspx

OP here, my ID may have changed because I restarted, but I did what was listed here.

archive.is/ZZgWY

When booted off the external HDD in bios, I got "BOOTMGR is missing, press ctrl-alt-del to restart".

Not sure how to fix this.

Is windows the first partition? The bootstarpper needs to read off of the the first sector.

How would I find out if it is?

Look at the HDD in gparted, it will show the order of the partitions.
If you have a backup partition you'll have to copy it to your pc then format your external HDD.

I have /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2

the external HDD is /dev/sdb

I can't see the order anywhere.

sorry I meant look at /dev/sdb

the order is /dev/sdb1, then /dev/sdb2, etc.

There's only the one /dev/sdb1, what do I do from here?

Direct3D 12 is an outdated version of Mantle. There is absolutely no reason for developers to use it over Vulkan, which is an improved version of Mantle, other than they suck Microsoft's dick.

assuming that's windows, you'll have to configure grub. See

there's also no reason for developers to release exclusive games on consoles, other than they suck Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo's dick. unfortunately Direct3D 12 exclusives will always exist and you will need Windows 10 to play them. the good news is that unlike the PS4, Xbone, and Wii U, Windows 10 can easily be pirated.

Know any good guides to do that?

Shut it shill

It says I have to run it as root, how do I do that?

type "sudo" before entering stuff into the console to get root privileges.
I'm sure ubuntu forums has something to help, good luck

>>>Holla Forums

go circlejerk each other to pictures of Stallman, linux shill. Windows 10 is the best operating system for gaming and there is nothing you can do to change that fact.

Not sure if you're still there, how do I fix the bootmgr thing?

Tell me you're gay and I'll install windows 10.

you're gay and also a tinfoil fedora autist if you actually install W7 instead of W10. W10 is better in literally every possible way.

Was that some back-talk?

You're not making me want to install windows 10, schlomo.

Now play along and maybe I'll think about using your shitty spyware.

Don't know how to reinstall/repair the Windows bootloader?

Is this what reddit looks like

Unetbootin doesn't install a bootloader, just use winusb. Here is the script if it isn't in your distros repo: github.com/slacka/WinUSB/blob/master/src/winusb

Even if you're the top retard of the week and don't give a shit about the supreme botnetting capabilities, if you're even considering supporting any kind of Microsoft output after 7 you've gone over the edge.

You need to go back.

OP I'll reccomend one thing to keep this simple.

Get another HDD/SSD.

I have an 1 SSD for W7, 1 SSD for Manjaro Linux and then 1 HDD that they both share for storage. On boot my GRUB loader asks me which OS I want to use. If I don't input anything it auto boots to linux but I can key down to windows if there's some exclusive games I can't get running on wine that I'm in the mood for.

It's money spending yes but a good investment overall. Windows' days are numbered to me. I won't be using W10, likely ever, and I know for a fact that there'll be a day when I stop using windows completely. Likely this decade. Then I can repurpose windows' SSD for extra storage or some cool shit on linux. You can get some pretty cheap SSDs these days if you know where to look. I got mine for €80

It seems I'm going to need another HDD after all because

Kill me.

you're not supporting anything if you're not paying money for it.

It's not a bad thing, man. Both load up quick so it makes rebooting between them faster. If your windows drive is also your storage drive then when you're on linux just make directory links to things like your music and pictures. I even share a download folder.

I'm sure there's a way to bypass this but it's probably not worth it. You're going to have a slow as fuck windows… and this is entirely for gaming.

Do you think most people in this thread can spoof their user-agent?

You probably can, but if I were you I'd look into using W8 or 10 with Windows-To-Go that allows you to build neat USB bootable drivers in a few minutes.

yes I think if you can figure out how to install a video game by yourself you can figure out how to install a firefox/chrome addon and tick the "spoof my user-agent as Gentoo" box.

but most people in this thread probably don't actually know how to install a video game by themselves so they use Steam instead, and since they have botnets like Steam installed instead of just pirating all their games, Steam will collect all the information about their operating systems, bypassing all the anti-spyware addons they installed in their little web browsers to give themselves a false sense of security.

Steam is literally worse than Windows 10. you can disable all of W10's spyware features before even connecting it to the internet for the first time, but you can't do that with Steam.

Wait so, I think I'm understanding just what a partition is.

It's like a section of your HDD, right? Like an area that's zoned off for someone to build a house in?

If that's true, couldn't I make a new position on my 1TB internal Hard Drive and install windows to that?

Partition, fuck I'm tired.

yes

Yep

Yes… but

It's easier to just have an actual new drive dedicated for each OS. If you start partitioning you're not only going to reduce the storage capabilities of your current drive it's overall just going to be more of a hasstle to get working. Linux is worth its own SSD, nigger. The software is smaller compared to windows so you don't need a large or expensive one and you can still make a directory link to your windows storage where you can install games.

Seeing as how you didn't ever say position, yes you are.

Oh wait, you did say position. I only read the start. Who gives a fuck anyway.

I think that's what I'll do then, a separate drive for each OS.

Thanks for the help, anons. And remember:

NEVER INSTALL WINDOWS 10

Just rememeber to install them the same. Both on UEFI and use GRUB. Searching either of those will probably give you enough info.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dual_boot_with_Windows

If it's free, and you didn't pirate it,
you are the product

I did pirate the Enterprise LTSB edition tho fam

Unless it's linux.

although that's not entirely true for ubuntu

4 hours of shilling 1 thread and you haven't even reached 100 posts. Wow.

so op, you realized linux is a peice of shit finally?

you can install windows and run linux in a virtual if you want as your primary desktop.

or you can wait for ReactOS to get better.
reactos.org/

Don't mean to tinfoil but that looks sketchier then Win10.

What is the future of video games on Linux? I'd like to use Linux but the fact that WINE isn't perfect and neither is virtualization. Because I'd much rather use it full-time instead of using some shitty VM software just to play games or use some windows-exclusive programs.

Its actually a open source windows based on windows 2000. right now its like windows xp and in the future will be look like windows 7.

reactos is even used to teach windows devs how their own os works since its open source instead of closed source.

Super Tux Kart 2

ReactOS is our last hope and yet people like this exist.

it also runs linux programs natively.

You are full of shit lad. I have a terabyte sized one that I had everything from XP to Mint installed on over the course of three years. If you aren't retarded everything can be fixed.

Try >>>/lv/

HDDs are cheap man. I have pic related and not only is dirt cheap, it's amazing performance for the price. It's been outperformed lately by other drives but you can't do better at the price.

You could get an SSD for better performance but if you are already strapped for space it might not be a sensible upgrade yet.

This is too good. What's your game here, shill? Rubbing a shitty OS in our faces isn't going to make us want to upgrade to it, nor will calling everyone that doesn't a literal retard, considering your opposition easily outnumbers you on an anonymous imageboard where any new user would want to ride the tallest wave possible to try to fit in.

Christ, redditfags are retarded

I've been doing this with an eGPU on my Thinkpad x220t for a little while now. It's pretty nice. In my experience the GPU doesn't seen any real hit in performance, although CPU-wise there will be a performance hit if your CPU isn't great (so emulation for example kind of sucks on my i5 2520m), I'll bet if you got something better like an i5 4690k (which is the newest Intel CPU that supports vt-d iirc), the performance hit wouldn't be as bad.

This is the one I used
reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3lno0t/gpu_passthrough_revisited_an_updated_guide_on_how/
yeah I know it's reddit, but there aren't many good guides for this shit at the moment.

Because hurr durr, now fuck off.

Moderately entertaining.

why are you posting that instead of actual info?

there are dozens of programs and scripts to disable all of W10's spyware now. just because all the spyware can't be turned off by babbies using the GUI control panel and settings menus doesn't mean it's literally impossible to disable it. 100% of the spyware can be disabled by editing the registry, or using programs/scripts that edit the registry for you.

smh tbqh fam

Where are the games Goldberg? You said there would be games.

All the performance gains DX12 brings are lost to the UWP platform.
It is basically an isolated java like platform that disallow developers from using assembly, have several hiccups, block developers from for example choosing or not to use vsync, and the precise timer on it is either non-existent or crappy.

Just ask Quantum break, and its awful performance on anything, with a hard limit of 50 fps that can't be broken by ANYTHING.

I prefer my games as real native .exes

just wait for E3. you will be amazed by all the games.

if any of what you said was true, why does DX12 blow DX11 the fuck out in every benchmark? you can't argue with cold hard benchmarks.

What games, Schlomo?

Halo 5 on PC (Windows 10 exclusive)

lol, who the fuck is this guy?

First, those tests are meant specifically to wreck with the DX11 by making a lot of useless draw calls that can be mitigated by well using what you got.
Secondly, i'm talking about specifically the microsoft games that they will put on the Win10 store, that will run all like shit because well, you can't make java fast.

And third, vulkan does EXACTLY THE SAME THING, except it runs on twice the PCs, and not only run on smartphones as its quickly taking over as the standard api there because saves a shitton of battery life.

too bad so many devs are adding DX12 support to their games but no vulkan support.

He appeared in other thread not too long ago. It's either baiting or a shit tier shill.

I installed a pirated version and the only update I've ever installed is a service pack since the folks over at wangblows couldn't get it right from the start.

Most are Xbone ports or optional eyecandy, just like with DX10.
No one will do an exclusive DX12 game without getting a BIG paycheck from microsoft, because well, its asking for losing half of the customers.

microsoft often encourages both large and small dev teams to optimize their games the best they can for Windows 10 by providing them with generous donations though. :^)

the open source gaming thread has a list of games, most of them are available for GNU/Linux:

Small studios will be a different ball completely.
UE4 supports DX12 and vulkan the same way, and any game done with a newer version of it will just use whats available, which means it will run the same on 7,10 and linux.
All the "exclusive advantages" will be evaporated for a LARGE majority of the games due that.

and some people try to claim linux shilling doesn't exist.

but there will ALWAYS be Windows 10 exclusives and games that run far better on Windows 10 because they have no vulkan support so you may as well just install Windows 10 so you can play ALL the games.

Until someone does a DX12->Vulkan wrapper, given how simple those APIs actually are and everything is lost.

that will be a while judging by how slow WINE is making progress at attempting to properly emulate DX10 and DX11.

Feel free to stop replying to obvious trolling any time.

and I don't think all of these linuxcucks are trolling, I think some of them have genuinely deluded themselves into believing that linux is a better OS than windows for playing video games.

Last time I checked you can't install Windows to a USB device. Even if you could read/write speeds would be horrible without USB3. Get another HDD if you want to dualboot, and make sure to install Windows first.
If you want to stick to Windows 7 use GWX Control Panel, or wait until the Windows 10 free upgrade thing ends and see what Microsoft does about their popup. By the way that popup that asks you to upgrade now or later will assume you said yes if you close it.
If you're concerned about Windows 10 the only way to make sure it isn't spying on you is to hook up a small computer to it and route the Internet connection through it, so you can see what kind of traffic goes through. There are tools that claim to cut the bullshit but for all we know Windows might either ignore some settings or turn them back on later. It's your call if you want to trust it or not, but you have time to think because there aren't any good DX12 games out yet.
If you're sticking to Linux for vidya and have an AMD card, AMD have started work on an open source driver. You need a GCN1.0 or later graphics card R9 270x+, but it'll eventually be the default driver for AMD cards on Linux. Until then you need to worry about hacky solutions to use the old FGLRX driver, or use the shitty old open source one. Hopefully Linux will get enough games in the end, but until then it's not really a gaming OS. Or you could do what I do and use Linux for the indie games that work, and have modded consoles for everything else.

Man I really want to set up Linux on my second hard drive but fuck I am nervous about ruining something. It's impossible to get decent help too, hurr durr install gentoo.

For someone who has only ever touched windows which linux distro would you suggest?

Try a live CD first. My first distro was Kubuntu, but I think most of them are pretty similar when you get down to it.

There is also a distro specifically created to be installed on an USB drive, called slax.

advertisements
for a free as in freedom and free as in free beer software

allright shill. i've seen you in the other threads, and considering that the only thing that has worked to kill shilling is shitposting, or in the case of Evolve, porn dump.

/r/equesting porndump of that female monster, lets push this shill back to win98.

Ask Holla Forums and they'll help you with a guide on what updates to remove from Win7 that do telemetry.

I think they recommend Linux Mint for beginners, but ask.

How the fuck. Awesome. Thanks, I'll dick around with it.

Xubuntu is my favorite. Xubuntu is the second most lightweight flavor of Ubuntu, only under Lubuntu and Lubuntu is just shit that barely functions. Xubuntu however works great. Ubuntu is the best linux distro because it has the best selection of good software (including video games, emulators, and some proprietary software), it just werks better than most distros, and Canonical has partnered with Microsoft so that soon Ubuntu will be built into Windows 10 so it will run significantly better than it would run in a VM. this way you can easily run all the linux software you want inside Windows 10.

it's even easier to de-botnet W10 so there is no reason for anyone to still be using W7 in 2016.

there are far smaller linux distros than that.

[CURRENT YEAR]
Looking at what you've posted- fuck you shill. I hope Vulcan puts you out of the job.

Windows 7 Telemetry Removal
archive.is/RSJg7
Remove each of these updates. However, you might need to restart your system for each one (I removed a bunch at once, and it only removed one of them). Doing it via the Run method described there might also help.

If you want to get rid of the Win10 Advert in your toolbar
ghacks.net/2015/06/01/how-to-block-the-windows-10-update-notification-in-earlier-versions-of-windows/

Search for Windows Update and open it. Down the left hand side in the new window you'll see "view update history", click on that.

Above the listed items, they'll be a link in a sentence "To Remove an Update, See Installed Updates". Click that.

Look for "Update For Windows (_____)", with the following codes:
If you are using Windows 7, locate the following updates: 3035583, 2952664, 3021917
If you are using Windows 8, locate the following updates: 3035583, 2976978

Typing in just those numbers will help find them. Right click on those items. You'll have the uninstall option, so click on that.

After you restart your system, the logo should be gone, and under the System32 folder, you should no longer have the GWX folder.

Now this doesn't block the update being re-installed. More info below:

Windows says this adware is an "important" update
If you've set Windows to install updates anyway, you will get it back
If you've set Windows to only install important updates without your permission, you will get it back

Tap on the Windows-key, type "Windows Update", and hit enter. This should open the Windows Update dialog.

Select "check for updates" to find new updates to install on the system. Windows should find the updates listed above again.

Click on the "important update is available" link. Right-click each of the listed updates above that are listed on the page and select hide update from the context menu.

This blocks the update from being installed on the system.

HOWEVER SOME USERS HAVE REPORTED THE UPDATE COMING BACK WITHOUT PROMPT
Either disconnect your PC from the internet, or check the Win 10 shit is all gone weekly.

After this, I would still recommend setting Windows Update off. Just in case they do something really bad in the future. Like making 7 and 8 vulnerable/broken to force everyone onto 10's spyware.

Some user's have even reported their system (with Win 10 adverts on it) upgrading without conformation of the user (stories usually say they walk away and when they come back the install is running, or are in the middle of something and it boots them out to install).

Be vigilant.
Gates started CommonCore education- why the fuck would he want you to have privacy to all the shit he has his fingers in?

you really need to update your linux shilling propaganda, it's almost an entire year old just like most of the software in your repositories. :^)

Also, just to confirm turning of the telemetry shit in Win 10 does nothing.
Turning on privacy settings in Win 10 does nothing.
Microsoft does not respect your privacy. Or rather, the privacy of people working against Microsoft or the US governments best interests.
They don't give a shit if you steal a film. For now. They want to stop the people who can inspire others to do good in the world.

also a tool for removal is

github.com/th3power/aegis-voat

Click on releases and download, or just click this:

github.com/th3power/aegis-voat/releases/tag/v1.18

This annoys me, a shill pushing crap nobody wants is shit tier by default. There are no 'good shills' out there for products like Windows 10. They're at the very bottom of the marketing pyramid and have already been outsourced to third world shitholes. They're only a few years away from being replaced by a bot completely.

They have absolutely nothing to add to the conversation and are paid liars. They just double down on their bullshit if you call them out on it.

About all this telemetry removal shit: I just don't see the point of using windows at all. Like, why bother? It's probably easier to install Linux than to remove all the spying.

Is it games? New games suck. There's enough old games that work on Wine to last you a lifetime. All the games people talk about here often, like Morrowind or Thief, can be played on wine. Otherwise, you can play new games on consoles..

Linux is not even really hard to use, depending on what distro you install. Many of them have all the basics preinstalled, and you can add to that as you learn. It is far more customizable than Windows.

I explain here that you need to edit the registry or use one of the dozens of simple programs or scripts that do it for you to disable W10's spyware. it's just as easy as with W7.

a good description of all linux shills. why do you think only 1% of desktop users use linux?

nice meme

I just wanted tech support, not a war between Holla Forums and a persistent if not all that intelligent shill.

Is it per-post?
If I got paid 0.1 US dollars per post, I'd be able to buy some good lunch and have left over.
In some time, I'd be able to do it from the cellphone and it'd be amazing, I'd be able to work anywhere, anytime, and get money.
Where do I apply?

Yes, I know, I just got used to my w7 rig, it's already as I wanted it so I got too comfy with it.

Sometime soon I'll be making the jump to linux, as I did on my netbook (it has tahrpup). I wanted to have slacko puppy but some software I needed was only on .deb packages and I didn't know how to compile it (I learnt later how to do so), so I installed tahrpup.

I'm saving for a new notebook, though, and I'll put it with slacko.

you can apply to be a linux shill over at >>>Holla Forums

I'm not sure if they actually pay their shills or if they're all just brainwashed by Stallman's communist ideas of free software. you may have to do the shilling for free.

I'm going to go play some video games for a few hours on Windows 10 at 144fps on my 4K monitor thanks to the power of DirectX12. you linux shills can keep trying to argue that linux is better than windows as a gaming OS while I'm gone, you will never succeed.

you're a dum dum

you're retarded op

Most of my Steam games has native support for SteamOS + GNU/Linux, but Wine (reminder to uninstall the default package and install winehq-devel) does a good job with not supported games.

The (261) of shills

Windows 10 is shit, 7 without telemetry and "UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 NOW" crap is best for vidya, linux has no games.

(261)

the fuck? i only was here to see the (215)

advanced shilling

wew lad

Ubuntu or it's derivatives. The *ubuntu ones are the same as Ubuntu but have a different desktop environment. Try them all if you want, but in general:
Ubuntu = Unity = OSX-like, not much customization
Kubuntu = KDE = Windows 7 on steroids, fuckton of customization but can look ugly without it
Xubuntu = XFCE = Windows XP on steroids, see above
Lubuntu = LXDE = Xubuntu for older computers
Ubuntu MATE = MATE = What Ubuntu was like before they made Unity
Ubuntu GNOME = GNOME = The desktop that was so bad they made Unity to get away from it. Not that bad anymore though.

If you're used to emulators, there's a PC emulator called Virtualbox. It's easy enough to use, and you can fuck around with any OS you want without consequence. Or you can install Windows 86 and fuck it up with malware and Bonzi Buddy, because that's kinda fun.

Fuck, I meant 95

very nice

DirectX12 (Windows 10 exclusive) gives you far better performance than DirectX11, so 4K and 144fps are possible on the same hardware that would struggle with 1080p and 60fps on Windows 7.

see these benchmarks for proof:

actually Windows 10 is much better than 7 for gaming because of DirectX12.

work for thers shekels boyy

(215), is that you?

Yep, it's the only person in all the *chans who actually believes in Microsoft's scams such as DX12 and cloud computing.

cloud computing is shit.

whether DX12 is a scam or not, you will need it to play modern PC games from now on.

Left is cozy me, right is microshits

hardocp.com/article/2016/03/28/rise_tomb_raider_dx11_vs_dx12_review such great performance gain

Now now user, cloud computing as in "it'll make your games awesome" is indeed bullshit

Cloud computing as in "I think I'mma pay amazon 5 bucks for a couple of their server farm processor cores" is legit.

that would be hell for me, i think im rocking usb 2.0 ports, if that

Looks like somebody doesn't know what the fuck WINE is.

Threadly reminder that both DX12 and Vulkan run off the same fucking thing. Both APIs work the same, have the same calls, and no self respecting developer would exclusively put themselves into the walled garden of DX12 when Vulkan is cross platform.

Been waiting for a linux thread. Managed to get a game running in wine, but it changes the monitor settings and it runs at 24hz. I have Nvidia drivers installed, is there a config setting in wine?

Wine has an option to emulate a virtual desktop at a specified resolution.
If you disable it, the application's resolution setting should take over.

Holy shit I knew DX12 was a disaster but not to this extent

>With all the DX11 and DX12 testing we have done in Rise of the Tomb Raider we can definitely say that for right now, stick with the DX11 API. It is obvious after testing, both AMD and NVIDIA need to optimize drivers for this game to benefit from DX12 because as it is, DX12 actually slows Rise of the Tomb Raider performance down.

It's been out for for almost a year already. And it's not just this one game;

hardocp.com/article/2016/04/17/hitman_2016_performance_video_card_review/10

Then there's Quantum Break;

>but the bottom line is that the PC version is a profound disappointment. The few improvements on offer cannot offset the major performance and image quality issues present in this port. What really stings is that some of these issues could be addressed by the community right now if not for the limitations of the Universal Windows Platform.

hardocp.com/news/2016/04/08/what_went_wrong_quantum_break_on_pc63

And Gears of Wars;

>This new ‘Ultimate Edition’ is one of those fancy DirectX 12 games built as a Universal Windows App, which is supposed to make it more efficient and simpler on us, but in this case has only introduced limitations.

please use archive.is/gears-of-war-ultimate-edition-review/

Is there anything that uses DX12 and isn't a failure?

are you sure you don't mean fps? I'm pretty sure when we talk about Hz it refers to refresh rate of monitor. Also, I'd recommend to using playnolinux(sandbox wine settings per game) and winehq to know fixes for bugs(if the game is known enough, anyway)

yet there are still plenty of PS4, Xbone, and Wii U exclusives that you can not play on PC, just like there are DirectX12 exclusives that you can not play on Windows 7.

some games run better on DX11, but most games with DX12 support run far better on DX12. the great thing about Windows 10 is that it has BOTH. Windows 10 supports every version of DirectX. if a game runs better with DX11 because the incompetent devs couldn't properly harness the power of DX12, simply go in the video settings and switch to DirectX11. it will still most likely run better on Windows 10 than on 7 or 8.

Windows is gay.

Gee those updates sure are useful

a nice fluid 720p 20fps gaming experience huh?

Here's your reply I guess

If I punch you in the face once per second, I punch you at 1 Hz. Anything that happens at a somewhat stable interval can be measured in Hertz.

Coupling 2 regular letters togheter and calling it a new symbol instead of the letters they are triggers me

Shit like ∃ "exists" which is literally a mirrored E is an even bigger trigger

24 hours later and our microsoft associate is still going strong

this guy is a trooper

worker of the month

Aw fuck, I couldn't save his posts to laugh at in the future

I know that Hz is used to measure frequency, but the fact of the matter is that in gaming Hz is used to describe refresh rate of monitor where as when talking about games you talk about how many frames are displayed a second

What did I miss?

Well how do i dual-boot windows 7 from linux?
I don't want to WINE
But I was able to install Linux from Windows 7
can you give me torrent plox?
I'm using Linux Mint.

dual boot is having both linux and windows, it doesn't mean booting one from another. what you are looking for is a virtual machine

That you know of. A point of malware is to hide itself and steal your data. For instance credit card numbers, addresses, contacts.

You could be part of some chinese botnet for all you know since you would still have exploits that attacks scan for.

Even with updates you wouldn't be 100% safe since Windows always has built in back doors for complying to requests and Microsoft is extremely slow when it comes to fixing bugs and have gotten even worse now that their company is run by incompetent Indians.

Is it the designated operating system.

could someone of you guide me through the installation of an intuos in xubuntu? or at least point me in the reight direction

You forgot the archive.
archive.is/O9cyN

Fuck off loonix shills, this is the gaming board, we don't give a fuck about ethics

Intuos as in the drawing tablet? Just plug it in. It should be picked up automatically.
Unity and KDE, as in Ubuntu and Kubuntu, have Wacom tablet settings panels. No idea about XFCE, but there should be some sort of configuration tool out there. Check the mouse and touchpad settings with the tablet plugged in. As for pressure sensitivity programs handle that automatically, so things like pressure curves would be set per program.

It works and I didn't have to do anything, I wonder how long has it been working since last I checked. thank you user

I checked the app database, I've followed instructions, it's just the game won't run above 60fps, the game makes my monitor switch to 24hz and when I go to the options it won't let me change it past 50hz. I can't be fucked to install play on linux right now, maybe I'll give it a go some other time thanks.

That was unchecked, it must be something else. I really don't like Linux, I'm using it to get away from botnet 7.

Well I'd reckon your load times will be insane if you install windows onto an external drive, there's a reason that the drives in your computer don't plug in through USB

My advice is to move shit on your main drive over to the external drive like pictures and "legally acquired" music/movies, then get a VM and put winblows 7 on it but be sure to set up GPU passthrough on your mobo otherwise it'll run games like shit.

Did that commie fuck ever tell anyone where he happened upon Microsoft's internal decryption keys?

Not that I trust Microsoft… but this video seems pretty bullshit.

Microsoft shill belittling us for not using the botnet that is Windows 10 thinking Halo 5 and DirectX12 would be worth it.

Guide recommends using the ACS override patch but when I was following xen a few years ago the patch came with hefty warning due to the fact that (if I'm not confusing it with another) it forces IOMMU to act as if two devices were isolated even if they are not.

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/LInux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Okay, now you have to post a guide.