QUALITY Games Journalism Thread

Post cases of QUALITY in games journalism or any form of journalism.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/nDMyx
tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry/355300/The-Dirty-History-of-Games-Journalism/
archive.is/2LXoB
m.imgur.com/Zl7j1oJ
archive.is/D4DRV
observatorial.com/2016/03/31/gun-control-psa-urges-kids-to-steal-parents-guns-carry-them-to-school-and-give-them-to-teachers/#
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Name one reason for why journalists of every kind, except war journos maybe, shouldn't be rounded up and hanged en-masse

because it would be more amusing to see them put out of the job and replaced by people who actually tell the news

It will literally never happen because money rules all and actual journalism doesn't make as much as selling out

well i mean it's just as much of a dream as having all these fuckers hanged so hey

git gud another "gamers are dead" topic?

Because that's too light a punishment for fucking up the progress of all civilization.

They're not all bad. Well, maybe a couple of decades ago anyways.

They might blog in retaliation.

This is the new "gamers are dead" headline fad isn't it?

What's the point of that FF13 / Lost Odyssey chart?

QUALITY you say?

All journalists should be killed off. They're essentially invalid thanks to the internet where anyone can do the reporting these days.

Video games "journalism" was never good.

Lets play a game of "which article is the real one".

Reviews count?

Number based scoring is shit overall.
If you just took all the reviews and removed the grades, they'd be decent.
But most people can't read more than two fucking lines and will just look at a score because it's faster.

I say, rate it by how much the game is worth on release. $60-$5 to a pirate to not even a pirate.

What point is the fourth image trying to make?

What's the point?The same thing that happens now would still happen because people would go
Just remove ADD faggots and make a proper damn review instead of trivializing it with one phrase/number.

make that $1, especially for digital-only trash

more like
diaryism
amirite

Does a game ever go to 1 dollar on sale?

Games that started under $25 will often end up there.

Fair enough.

People were calling out reviewers for shit since 1995.

It's a bit pointless if you don't even cite the publication.

You might need to have played the game to understand how dumb this is, but the basic idea should come across

What the fuck

What's wrong with her face?

Last pic is a good read.
It's all 100% true too.

Too wide, maybe?

Not the one that took the screencaps, but I get what you mean. Still, you could probably dump some sentences into google between quotation marks and find the source that way, unless they deleted the article.

stop this now
fuck you

Should've ended with

These are so goddamn silly I can't help but laugh.

a lot of these are old hat and we all know the bullshit that followed them by now

The Game journos are kingmakers, nothing less, they determine what game gets the Holy 9/10 and Godly 10/10, it's pretty dreadful stuff.

But honestly, they still have their jobs, they still can do their things. Especially in the United States, that looks like quite an endorsement.

WHAT SHIT SOULS 3 SHOULD HAVE IS OPTIMIZATION AND AN OPTION TO LOWER THE LIGHTING AND DRAW DISTANCE SO IT DOESN'T RUN LIKE FUCKING GARBAGE

FF13 was a fucking wreck, Lost Odyssey was a pretty good RPG.

FF13 got the better rating. Connect the dots yet?

GAME JOURNOLISTS ARE CORRUPT.

as corrupt as they are, you could just as easily chalk that up to them being casual and uninformed

even if they weren't corrupt i'd bet my bottom dollar they'd still hand out high grades to big names and AAA titles cuz they don't know any better

Thats why Holla Forums needs to make its own website that isnt corrupt and reviews games fairly and without bias.

see

It's greed and blackmail.

Nice toaster, faggot.

we aren't without bias ourselves

What the fuck is up with that EB article? Is it supposed to be a joke? Why is the guy shit talking Kojima while he is at it?.
Sexual awakening? Are you for real? It's a fucking quirky RPG about friendship.

there's always GatherYourParty

better idea no one fucking trust reviewers and just judge based on game footage on YouTube or some shit.

Fetal alcohol syndrome?

This.
In the digital age, it's faster to watch a video anyways.

You know, I imagine that one of the best ways to reduce piracy is just to offer a free demo. I don't understand why more companies don't do this.

Kind of hard to pirate a console game, but there isnt any console games worth pirating besides zelda u but thats on a cracked console.

Yeah, this is probably the best idea.

I didn't rule that out, for the record.

it's just kinda faster to watch a video.

Demos are a thing of the past. Only DLC and season passes now.

because it "reduces sales"

because when people make a crappy game and put out a demo, people are less likely to be duped.

I think there was a study or somthing, and it said that demos actually reduce sales because people can see how bad the game is before the game comes out. The last game i saw that had a demo was Dungeon Travelers 2, but the demo was so good that i actually bought the game. Without the demo, i would have never heard of it. But AAA games have to be 'experiences', and having a demo would destroy that.

Why don't people just make good games then?

quality is expensive, they need that money for marketingnice digits

people do.

just not AAA, they sell heavily marketed spooge that relies on marketing and the hype train to swindle people on the first buy. This is only making people wary of them and they'll jump ship when everything crashes.

why are you spoiler whispering

archive.is/nDMyx

Reminds me of when I first downloaded the BF Bad Company 1 demo, I really enjoyed what was a distilled version of Battlefield on console. The problem was that this was in 2014, so all of the servers for the game were all shut down, which just that my purchase would be a giant waste of money.

People play Bad Company for the silly over the top campaign user… not the multiplayer.

what i meant was that the gameplay itself (mostly) translated well from PC to consoles

from what I could tell from the demo, the campaign would've been a good laff, that's unlikely for me to experience thanks to EA

but that beard doesn't even make sense
Ryu is a gook, and that's a white man's beard. Asian facial hair doesn't grow in full and puffy, they get a longer type of hair that is thicker, but more sparse
I know this because someone in my bloodline decided to fuck a chink or something and now I have chinamen facial hair. It's taken years of grooming to get it to look decent

Same. There's some chinamen's blood running on my veins and facial hair is a pain.

Why did I save an entire folder for shit like this.

I got nothing.

I can't argue with you.

Not won't, can't.

okay this is the one that got to me

When will retards understand that animated 2D art is much harder to do properly than animated 3D art, and obviously looks better if the artist knows what they're doing. Look at console games from 2005-8, they look like complete dogshit compared to 2D games made a decade before them because 3D graphics are so limited. You don't have polygons or visible textures in 2D art, it can be as pixel perfect as the artist wants it to be.

/autism

uh, because something something putting people out of a job is wrong because reasons
something something violence is never the answer

Yeah I got nothing

Is that edited? I swear I've seen that background as a generic cyberpunk wallpaper.

There is no reason to support the games industry. Play old games for free while you wait for the current industry to burn to the ground, however long it takes. I refuse to be a "gamer" in this era. I played Symphony of the Night and beat it last week and it was an intoxicating journey. I have many hundreds more games that I have never played, some I've never heard of or seen and have yet to discover. I will never run out of "old" (new if you never played em, right?) games. Thus, I refuse to acknowledge the existence of gaming from 2007 to 2016 and the foreseeable future. It's dead. I see absolutely no other conclusion to reach after all that has happened to my favorite hobby and the biggest passion in my life. I no longer have any reservations about this decision, I'm 100% ready to let go. I won't even visit Holla Forums anymore. I'm done. I'm really done. I don't know how other anons can make any other decision than mine given the unacceptable decade we've had. Long live the era of gaming from the late 80s to the early 00s, the era of gaming I acknowledge and continue to enjoy playing, which ended in 2007.

This, i bought an android handheld and im emulating everything i have yet to play, and the old games i love. There is no reason to have a next gen console. Althouh im still holding hope for persona 5 and zelda u.

I think Odin Sphere Leifthrasir's got a demo on the PS4 now (at least, from what I recall hearing), but Odin Sphere was already pretty well received before on the PS2 anyhow. I suspect the demo might be there to confirm not only what the new combat style feels like, but also that there's none of the slowdown the US PS2 version had previously.

Because if your game is shit people can see that in advance rather than you making them wait until after it's out and they've already parted with their shekels.

Believe me, I agree. A look into a sprite page for a single character in various games (say, Alucard from SotN) shows a lot of different variants for stuff like arms, legs, body, head, weapon, etc that have to be made so it actually looks good in motion. And each page is just for a single character or enemy (or set of objects). Multiply that over the entire game and it's a lot of work. Unfortunately, between proper pixel spriting likely being extremely tedious and expensive at current resolutions and various companies likely believe 2D spriting to be outdated, or wouldn't sell well (thanks to shit like that up there), so they don't do it nearly as much; even back in sixth gen consoles it was beginning to decline as far as localized games go (looking at Tales, the only sixth gen games the west saw, barring the shitty GBA port of Phantasia, all used 3D graphics, leaving us high and dry for Destiny 2, Rebirth, Destiny Remake/DC, and later, Hearts DS). And even on handhelds, where the DS and PSP were a bit of a bastion for decent spriting while consoles had opted much more for 3D, they've been pushing much more for 3D as well these days.

…hitler should of won.

Sometimes I wonder if Patricia Hernandez is real.

it is an elusive beast, the only footage of it in its natural habitat is fuzzy and badly photographed, but there have been sightings.

Is there a full version of the dr Seuss article?

…

Yes, filmed in its environment playing with a ball that the zookeepers left for it to entertain itself with. I can't seem to find the gif of it on my drive, but I seem to recall someone giving it some Donkey Kong related filename.

Number rating is fine if you define an objective benchmark ie this game is trying to achieve the following, and they score an 8/10 because they were missing the following features and these other features are sloppily implemented.
That's a good system.

I'm aware the article is a fucking fake, I just thought it was funny and wanted to know if the guy who made it did the full article or just what was in the screencap

There are a few female journalists out who are actually pretty cute. I don't like seeing cute things get destroyed.

Nah, they deserve the same treatment the "religion of peace" gives to infidels. Watching Patricia Hernandez get run over by a tank would be enjoyable.

What the actual tits?

Holy shit are they fucking terrible. Worst of the worst that isn't Polygon or Kotaku in terms of clickbait. Don't take my word for it, go check them out, anons. They're fucking terrible, although I admit that I haven't seen them spout any sort of ideology bullshit.

no
no
no

WHERE'S THE REBOOT MARK

Posting a classic.

At least that guy that did the God Hand review got called on a bit of shit by another IGN guy.

I thought I had something, but I'm comming up blank.

Cousin (Not by blood) is a globalist anti patriot, guess what the fuck he's studying to be?

That's the opposite of how reviews work. A review is meant to judge something objectively.

THE GAME IS ALREADY TOO FUCKING EASY TO BEGIN WITH!

Does Famitsu Faggotry Apply?

Because Famitsu is SHIT, and people really slobbered over them as a Gospel for years despite this.

Godhand:(5+6+7+2.5+6)/5=5.1

Pary Babyz: (7.5+7.5+7+7.5+7)/5=7.1

I don't mind that one guy rated God Hand really terribly. What I do mind is a guy who can't into basic math.

It's not an average!" he says, while lowering the game's score to a total of 3 in an industry where the "average" score is a 7.

But most of the DQ games are damn good. DQX is the only shitty one.

It is more for relativity with the other images and within the series itself.

Is this video meant to be facetious?

which of these are real and which are fake?

Oh, I get it. The previous video is a response to embed related.

After reading their shit I want to kill myself of them or both. How they do it?

My fucking sides

Is it wrong that I get all my gaming insight from Holla Forums?

I mean Holla Forums has taught me to look at videogames on a more critical manner

Hey, think for yourself, you cunt. Aside from that, think of Holla Forums as a less shit version of your average message board. People here can still have shit opinions, it's just we're allowed to say whatever the fuck we want, which allows us to say how we really feel. Consider that people here can use their freedom to mislead you or shit up the board for no fucking reason.

Basically you want to think critically about everything.

Is Enraged Enrique allowed?
His reason for giving it a higher score was the mods will fix it

Sometimes I wonder why I even click on these threads.

I'm pretty sure I've slowly become addicted to the rage

Fucking Pissed Jose.

Oh god SMT IV is the Dark Souls of Persona games.

I have no more hope for life. I better end this quick.

Annoyed Geyh Mysterio

A well-informed public is critical to democracy, for starters. There are extremely good reasons to have a constitutionally protected press, and most of them involve preventing tyranny. It's debatable how much that applies in an age where the internet exists, but until you can prove otherwise, it's still really fucking important.

The state of the press in the current age does not change this. We're experiencing a deviation, via deliberate subversion of journalistic standards. Inb4 "the press has always misrepresented truth," no shit. Doesn't invalidate the argument, and just furthers the idea that citizen press is via the internet is an important alternative.

Buttblasted Burrito

Perturbed Pedro

Gaming as a whole is being invaded by posers & unlike in rap & hip-hop where posers are derided & cast out,
in gaming the poser invaders have, with enough success, demonized the indigenous community by obtaining positions of influence over them.

It's no secret that they have taken over journalism, conferences, conventions & even have positions from which to control hiring & development.
Of course they also use these positions to increase their numbers as well. This is how meritless parasites function & it's difficult to remove them.

So is this one real or fake?

I have two RLM webms that succinctly demonstrate this.

These fucks can't understand an RPG about friendship because they never had any real friends.

also they probably didn't even play the game, just read the plot on wikipedia or some shit.

I can't even begin to wrap my head around the second picture.

I try to think about the thought process behind making a statement like that but I just come up empty.

How can you be an author but not read books or produce movies but not watch them?

Tim Burton never read a Batman comic but they let him make two movies.

The difference being you could argue that Tim Burton has/had talent, while these hacks most certainly do not.

No his argument is how can you be a producer of content and simultaneously not consume any content from other producers.

Sorry, Tim Burton Batman was the closest relation to reality I could conjure up.

Everything else falls short with these journo fucks.

Never read a review of a Japanese game on a mainstream site. My blood pressure rises every time somebody mentions IGN.

Tim Burton was a movie buff though. He understood shot composition, cuts, lighting, set design, and other things that are essential to movie making. If you have no interest in games, you're not going to understand what makes games good or bad, so when you try to make your own you will either succeed by chance or, more likely, fuck it up terribly.

Yeah gamer gate is cool and all but gaming media HAS ALWAYS BEEN SHIT.

And that's fine because you should not take them seriously anyway. Gaming media is like Gawker, the Sun or Variety. Fun to read but hollow.

Back in the day we had magazines instead of websites. Those magazines had advertisers There were even "official" magazines.

tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry/355300/The-Dirty-History-of-Games-Journalism/
I like how this guy gave up at GG.

Very nice

Some of them are, actually.
let's pretend they're not, though.

I used to read a few Nintendo magazines around the GC era mostly just for news and funny shit. Even the reviews weren't that bad from what I remember. I don't remember there being any SJW shit and I think that's because all the writers were just guys who liked games.
Thanks for reading my blog post.

RRRREEEEEEEE FUCKING NORMALFAGS GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY MEDIUM

Warning, high grade sodium coming through.
archive.is/2LXoB

An australian zine I used to read, hyper, once did an amazing E3 roundup describing how a gaggle of overweight, glasses-wearing, sweaty journalists were given a tour of the playboy mansion, driven around in expensive cars, chauffeured to and from locations like VIPs, the whole thing. I think the mag went to shit not long after, this was as late as 2003ish. Will try to find it after posting.

Corrupt as it always was I guess the whole scene still had to layer on a little more decadence, even more expensive dinners for the real lowlifes, the politically-driven bloodsuckers and hollywood degenerates to become attracted to games and games journalism.

in the comments

Just an fyi, only one of those images is missing a publication name.

nu doom's singleplayer is great, shame they fucked up so much on the multiplayer. I don't get why the fuck it was so hard to just make an updated doom deathmatch? they've been rehashing that gameplay for years. hell, they could have just copied some zandronum gamemodes.

Behold, quality journalism from based Polygon.
(I'm on mobile).
m.imgur.com/Zl7j1oJ

Yes, I know.

Yeah, there's a number of sixth gen games that I played recently that I bet would get on the media shitlist if they came west recently (mostly due to content), but apparently at the time they reviewed as being pretty darn good, even if they had stuff that wouldn't fly with the SJW crowd at all now (if they even bothered to go back and play them). They either found it funny or just didn't give a shit. Meanwhile now you have some guy who imported the new Dead or Alive out of spite, just so he could provide an official western review of how "problematic" or whatever he feels it is. This being after KT felt the western media would give them shit if they localized it, proving they don't have to bring something west for their game to wind up being roasted by the media here anyhow.

I think it's more that the guy didn't feel 2D should be worth paying fulling price (or near full price, given it was only $50 at the time) for these days.

HE CAN PAY FULL PRICE TO SUCK MY 3D DICK

Gender studies?

Thanks mate.

That Oath in Felghana one gets me every fucking time.

They can't do anything right.

Pissed Paco?

More "Dark Souls needs an easy mode" and Colonial Marines

I wonder how that reviewer would manage Super Metroid or god forbid, La Mulana if he couldn't find the worlds most obvious secret, it literally has an X on it.

Don't bother posting things that don't cite publication and author.

Lifestyle magazines are written by (comparatively) stupid jews that couldn't live for a week without their allowance from daddy's company.

Journos have always been shit. If they knew what they were talking about, then they wouldn't be in the propaganda industry (Public relations, mass media & journalism)

We need a bigger camp

Why are these coming about all of a sudden? What could be the reason for a big push in easier games? Most are easy enough as it is.

I don't know why I laughed so much with that.

those are always fun

Oh and here's my favorite one

A public is never going to be well informed because the public is too fucking stupid. Half of it has a two digit IQ ffs. Democracy is shit and the sooner we are rid of it the better.

Singleplayer's not bad though. Maybe it's not Doom good, but it's good.

Please tell me that image is a full thread cap story.

For me it is simple

This never fails.

Kill them.

KILL THEM ALL

not all are shit
Kain was pretty good and really takes both sides

How, even the trailer says that you are supposed to be big boss.

Well one thing, this keeps the normalfags out of good games such as Pathologic.

The amount of shilling in that webm is insane.

Wrong, there's a difference between average and median.
Even more are below average.

shit, forgot to remove sage

Source on the anime?

That would be sekkai seifuku (something somethin) zvezda

That's Mirai from Senran Kagura.

Thanks user

FF13 looks great, especially at 1080i on a 3Dtv. Everything feels tall and large. Light colours stand out among pleasant gradients of darker colours. The scenery seems alive, driven by the land before it and hinting to more splendors withing, and it doesn't dissapoint.

Lost Oddessy plays great. The story is skippable and you can go over what you skipped later. And you will. What is there is more than anyone can take in, your immagination will barely keep up with the backstory as the in game story presents new depth, meeting the writing of their makeup and continuing it's memorable fable you'll wish ends in a happy ever after.

The characters are worth getting to know, and you'll have to. Battles made to be won only just utilising all of them to their full potential.

The turn based combat has a real time mechanic in increasing attack damage which takes time to master. It isn't important, but it does add to the urge to make everything you do count.

The inability to move the camera to look around the world will make most players give up on it early, as they come back out of curiosity they'll find more reason to stay in this story. The world record holder for longest playtime's hardest task is leaving it behind.

FF13 looks great, especially at 1080i on a 3Dtv. Everything feels tall and large. Light colours stand out among pleasant gradients of darker colours. The scenery seems alive, driven by the land before it and hinting to more splendors withing, and it doesn't dissapoint.

Lost Oddessy plays great. The story is skippable and you can go over what you skipped later. And you will. What is there is more than anyone can take in, your immagination will barely keep up with the backstory as the in game story presents new depth, meeting the writing of their makeup and continuing it's memorable fable you'll wish ends in a happy ever after.

The characters are worth getting to know, and you'll have to. Battles made to be won only just utilising all of them to their full potential.

The turn based combat has a real time mechanic in increasing attack damage which takes time to master. It isn't important, but it does add to the urge to make everything you do count.

The inability to move the camera to look around the world will make most players give up on it early, as they come back out of curiosity they'll find more reason to stay in this story. The world record holder for longest playtime's hardest task is leaving it behind.

reminder deepfreeze.it exists

I can't believe that they're still asshurt over this.
Do we know how the remaster did on current gen systems by the way?

8 guy is awesome.

Maybe only read reviews that give the highest scores.

I doubt reviewers actually play jrpgs.

Sad that Lost Odyssey was an Xbox exclusive. There is no fanbase on the xbox for Japanese games and there never will be.

Is he implying that you should win without playing?

Get on my level.

The apocalypse is no longer an option, it's a necessity

fuck

If Joe's face get's anymore puffier, it might float off him.

This is satire right? someone tell me its satire.

archive or link faggot as you can change date with consol just like you can put 10 000 000 000 view on a video on youtube , screenshot it and send it ….

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Journos really know their guns.

archive.is/D4DRV here you go, dubs.

The problem with Famitsu isn't their scoring and how nearly every game gets a 30+/40 score but how they write their justifications out. Most of the time its just a few sentences going "WOOOW SOOOO SUGOI DESU NE" while not even brushing on the meat of the game. The reviewers are pretty much casuals too.

What a fag

Don't do this to me user.

I've never touched a single gun in my whole life (yuropoor), they live in America, they have no excuse to not know about guns.

RESPECT THE RAIFU

Also Nintendogs was a 10/10

But that's correct, an eff ay kyoo.

/k/ here. This video has made my faith in modern man dwindle to the point of nonexistence. It's people like him, that make me appreciate my Raifu more and more.

Their editor in chief used to be a massive sjw then they attacked the witcher 3 for not not having enough black people or some shit and he really liked that game. He then realised how bullshit their pov was and jumped shit. Lat time I saw he spent his time on twitter shitting on them.

Upotte was garbage, you nogunz poser faggot

Polygon posted a gameplay video of the new Doom game that seemed like it was being played by someone who had never played a game in their life. They had pisspoor aim and were doing bizarre things like walking up to a healthpack, shooting to the sides of it before successfully "hitting" it.

People kept mocking it and now you suddenly have a rash of articles talking about how people shouldn't have to be good at games to play them.

Most game journos live in Silicon Valley or near it, where gun rights are nonexistent, PSAs are displayed encouraging children to steal and turn in their parents' guns, and even if you do manage to get a gun legally, you have to lock it and the ammunition for it in separate safes at all times. Californians are raised to be more scared of guns than they are of being forced to clench onto a giant vibrating dildo with their anus to avoid falling into a volcano.

Mandatory conscription would do a world of good for the US.

I agree. I just wanted to post something relevant.

Wrong.

Sorry about that i wanted to post this

Was this an ova episode or something?
I don't remember this from the anime from when it aired

2 of them are supposed to be on the other side so when the shotgun-girl opens it, they can barge in immediatly, or they can throw a grenade inside.

The only moments where this fails are the cringe animations and the final score. Everything else is actual journalism.

But why?

I'm checking my country's lawsand comparing them to CA, and I believe it's actually easier to get a piece here than in California.

laws and*

fug.

I don't fucking get it. Even a lot of user reviews are good. Hell, a good portion of my friends have never played a final fantasy game besides 13. It's barely even a game.

I refuse to believe this. Provide evidence.

That's probably very true. From what I know, you're not allowd to have a removable magazine on your sporter rifle, and you're not supposed to have more than 5 or 10 rounds in the magazine.

Oh, I know what video he's talking about. I'll see if I can find it.

here it is.

observatorial.com/2016/03/31/gun-control-psa-urges-kids-to-steal-parents-guns-carry-them-to-school-and-give-them-to-teachers/#

No, nigger. They are taking an orange and complain about it not being an apple.

Trigger discipline is important.

No, they're taking a century egg and complaining it's not an omelette.

Not everybody likes century eggs, but to some people they're the tastiest shit ever. On the other hand an omelette can be enjoyed by everybody despite not having amazing taste.

You might like realistic and historically accurate shooters, but they didn't. However they did realize that this had a niche it was made for and they weren't part of it

If they hadn't given it a score this would be a good review honestly.

I'm pretty sure agumon's claw wouldn't fit on the trigger anyway

This is an opinion, but I also think that encouraging children to steal their parent's gun is completely counter-productive, security wise: Imagine is the kid steals the gun and kills himself/kills someone to see if the gun works better than his BB toys?
It's common sense to never let a kid near a piece if you don't teach him the security rules. Shit, even if he knew them, I'd sill watch him.

That is some Stalinist thinking, right there.

Yeah, the anti gun PSA's can range from funny, to stupid, to down right USSR levels of crazy.

One of my favorite ones was of a fake gun shop in New York or somewhere, with the guy at the counter saying shit like: "Did you guys know that this is the same gun that killed so and so kids…". It was so painfully acted out that the Brady Campaign pulled the video after everyone called out their bullshit.

My fucking God, I can't believe this shit got the okay from anyone

No they didn't. They just shat on the game for not having mindless arcade-y features which they clearly thought it should have had. They completed missed the point of the game and made entirely irrelevant criticisms as a result. Their 'review' doesn't help anyone who was actually thinking about buying the game make a decision. It's basically telling a load of CoDfags that some game they have never heard of and were never going to play anyway is bad because it isn't like CoD.

All this shows is that these sort of 'journalists' play nothing but the most mainstream trash that everybody else plays and have no real interest in video games beyond that, since they're incapable of understanding, let alone competently critiquing, even a slightly niche title. And let's be honest, RO is not particularly niche - it's certainly not a century egg. Dwarf Fortress the only thing that springs to mind which fits that metaphor: it looks disgusting and entirely unenjoyable at a first glance, but to a small minority of people who make the effort to engage with it, it's fantastic.

YOU'RE SCARING ME KID

Also, if I wanted to return a gun, wouldn't it be safer to turn in a police station, or a licensed gun shop, or anything else legal?
You know, LOGIC.

They mention who this game would appeal to (history buffs and people that like realistic experiences) and that it has a niche of dedicated fans.

If they don't like realistic shooters they're not gonna lie, it's good enough they admit it's not for them.

If that video were done today it would be a man screaming about how guns are evil, the futility of war, and how once his dad brought him to a gun range and he pissed his pants without ever talking about the game.

Not to mention how completely smug, and condescending their review sounded.

Considering that this is the same guy who white knighted Anita for 10 minutes straight, I'd say he's allowed.

another one

Didn't they use to have "Guns for ____" drives overseen by police officers and gun licensees, or did those get shut down?

Do pawn shops even have cases and all that for rifles and handguns anymore?

Funny how a guy who fancies himself as someone fighting the corporate Commando, is one of the biggest shillz out there.

Please quit asking stupid questions, you retard.

I haven't seen a "guns for cash drive" for years now. I think the reason why, is because a lot of people exploited the drive by exchanging "home made" weapons and just keeping the real ones.

But that's fine, because anyone with two brain cells to knock together can see that said man is not actually talking about the game at all and is just making whiny pseudo-political statements and essentially just talking about himself. No one but those already lost in the pits of the SJW machine would mistake that sort of thing for genuine commentary about the game and then decide whether or not to buy it as a result. In fact, the only information they might glean from such a 'review' would be a result of actively ignoring what the whiny faggot is saying and focusing on looking at what little of the game is actually played in the video.

In contrast, that RO review actually sounds like it's critiquing gameplay by pointing out bad features etc. Someone who knew nothing about the game might actually be convinced by it.

What appalls me the most is that these people get paid to give their opinions on certain subject matter, in the end brainwashing the masses. What else is that it's linked to Common Core, for Bill Gates wants to remove any semblance of a "game" and turn it into interactive media that floods the markets with walking simulators–ones that also brainwash you.

Essentially, our future is fucked and the safe spaces will pop up one by one. The "big brother" in this situation will be the corporations force-feeding you their garbage, and if you're caught playing any older games that are actually God-forbid good, you will be labeled by society as a social outcast.

This is what life as we know it now essentially boils down to. The whole of the human race will become mindless drones that can't think for themselves, and it'll be socially-acceptable to be offended in the slightest for anything.

You might as well go off the grid for this, but I doubt anyone here is willing to do anything like hunting, fishing, or shitting out in the woods, so they just go along with it and hope for the best. I'm here to tell you that this is ==no hope== found in the future that is being built for us right now. Unless we take up arms and take down the lobbyists that run this country, they won't rest until the society they want exists, and fucks us over.

you're giving way too much credit to the people involved in gaming nowadays.

Also I never played the game before, and I know I don't like realistic shooters, never did. The review gave me all the knowledge I needed to have, it's not an arena or arcadey, so I'm not gonna play it.

That's what reviews are supposed to do, or what they were supposed to. Again, I'm not defending the score, but everything else is fine.

Oh, but people aren't going to, user. Mankind lacks the drive to take their own future like they did in the colonial days. Even the most influential of speakers couldn't be plausibly found guilty of a successful count of sedition in this day and age.

Holy autism

This is the same lady that thinks Sniper in Dota 2 is cheap (one of the few heroes that can be countered by anyone who isn't named Techies or Crystal Maiden, and even they can fuck Sniper's shit).

When will people stop taking Kotaku seriously?

I figured they haven't been done in a decade for reasons you brought up as well as accidents/incidents with mishandling.

Still, to even suggest telling kids to bring guns to school is insane. Is there even a single non-zero tolerance school campus that wouldn't jump cops on you and expel anyone for even joking about bringing a weapon? I'm waiting for the eventual lawsuits from this ad.

The "ad" is already years old, you fucking newfag, and it isn't real.

you mean they imply that anyone that likes these games is a loser.

They never even go into detail about the games mechanics or how it works, just complain about how its "realism" isnt fun.

The review is

45% "ITS NOT ME THAT SUCKS AT THE GAME ITS THE GAMES FAULT!!"
50% ad hominem
5% actual criticism

They spent half the review making fun of people who like these games, the fuck are you talking about?

Those are fake you dingus.

I live in a safe and civilised country (yuropoor) and I know the basics of guns. There's no excuse for ignorance.

Hmm. I actually like having to aim down the sights and keeping track of my bullets. Kinda makes me wonder what X-play would think of other games like Senran Kagura if it was still on. Also, I hope that Battlefield 1 will make you aim down the sights. Sure I probably still won't buy it, but that would be neat.

why cant people just accept that not every game is for them?
why cant we just accept that we are different?
why cant we just live in peace?

FF13 is meant for weebs (god I hate that word), not for the mainstream audience. If you're not used to Japanese story telling the narrative won't make sense for instance.

Besides FF13 was the PS3's Crysis.

The moment they accept every human being is not equal to the other,it's the moment their worldview goes tumbling down,their safe little world they built around them.
The brain itself will keep deny it until it can't be impossible to ignore.

And now for something completely different.

At least Steve is being satirical.
Sadly it comes from incompetence and not "fuck meaningless DLC".

Images 2 and 3 are in the wrong order; the H&M Fashion Stuff review got him, his boss and Future Publishing in trouble with EA's PR, so the Ikea Home Stuff review that followed was extremely safe (and extremely sarcastic).

But user, that goes against their Marxism beliefs.

Shin Megami Tensei is my favorite spin-off of the Persona franchise.

Seriously?

This has got to be the first time I've heard of an SJW actually realising that they were full of shit.

Holy shit, it really has gotten to the point where even they are disgusted with themselves.

God speed to that one unpozzed writer, and may he Redpill others in his line of work. A journalist critiquing modern journalism is as against the institution as a Muslim reformist, and twice as likely to get you ostracized and targeted by virulent fundies.

Except they don't. Realistic shooters can be appealing for people who want a realistic shooter but don't give a damn about historical accuracy as well.

whats amazing is that these same people, who bashed red orchestra for depicting war in a realistic and mature way, now say that games are art and claim that people who like attractive female characters in games stand in the way of gaming becoming more mature and sophisticated

Isn't that karate steve?

WEW

But tanks are expensive.

Persona is actually the spin off.

Shame the MMO shut down. It was nice grinding with friends and fusing the shit out of everything.

just end my suffering

You can tell how the dev has already heard that shit and isn't interested in going along that at all.

Because it'd go against the ideals of having a republic, but if you care diddly squat about having one then because I'm a virgin and want to rape some of them, and the men should be dissolved in acid.

You can tell basehead really identifies with that joke.

Pic because for some reason the archive refused to work for me.

Oh, that final one isn't part of the article.

But I'M a week. Fuck that piece of shit.

Nice rage thread

because you are confusing bloggers with journalists

Hold up, when did Escapist become good?

I can't

they did not censor gamergate so a bunch of sjw retards left.

They allowed GG discussion on their forums and I think made somewhat neutral articles.

Holy fuck. He hit that shit right on the head

*weeb

Now that I think about it, I don't really have anything to respond with. There are some I like but they aren't really professional journalists and they aren't doing it as a job so I doubt they would count.

Great job, you unintentionally proved his second point, that because the review seems to comment on the gameplay but never does, and instead spends most of the time insulting the people who enjoy it, morons like you will be discouraged from even trying it.

You think the review gave you enough information on it, but it didnt.

Youre the same idiot as the people who immidiatelly supported Zoe because news sites kept writing biased that made sure to show every mean twitter post, but never address why people were upset with gaming journalism in the 1st place.

I think he was joking.
I fucking hope he was joking anyway, you can never be too sure these days

It´s existencial horror, user.

Yeah, it's pretty horrible it exists.

I thought weebs hated FF13.
Hell I could probably be called a weeb and I thought it was garbage

He's talking out of his ass. The story is not the first item on the list of reasons people hated it.

A fair number at least saw eventual PS3 ports and thus could hit a larger audience. But Lost Odyssey remained 360 exclusive, as did Tales of Vesperia in the west (since either Namco or Microsoft refused to allow the PS3 version to come overseas; first PS3 game that's received a complete fan translation at this point).

Also might be worth noting that with the original Xbox, apparently various magazines refused to give stuff like Otogi 2 much focus out here.
Basically "yeah it's good, but pretty much no one here's going to be interested in it, so why bother giving it more time or space."

The guy's obviously a twit that pronounces it as fack. I'd be curious if he's done that before when a game has mentioned checking an FAQ.

I fucming remember that faggot, holy shit what a hateable moron.

Ian Miles Cheong complaining about the existence of boss fights is a reminder that even though he abandoned his evil religion, he's still a moron who should not be listened to

Relax user, all this bullshit is just a natural evolution of Capitalism. Instead of the best products and services rising to the top, companies create and feed addictions for profit.

Angry Video Gamers are Dead

what's the song playing?