Perks System Cancer In Competitive Game

Do developer even know how to do a proper competitive gameplay anymore? How is it fair when the other player have HP buff perks and a fully upgraded weapon that can 1 hit you.

What happened to competitive game like Quake and Counter-Strike where everybody start off the same and the only differences is your skills.

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/stats/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because OP, you can't let good players beat bad players consistently, that's not appealing to the "call of duty audience". So instead, actual practice is replaced with simulated practice, where simply the amount of time you spend on the game determines your character's balance.

I hate the retards that think that this is what balance means. If you can pay for an advantage of any kind, it's P2W.

If you can grind for an advantage it's not necessarily P2W, but it is bad design if the game is about player versus player.

but it is an IMAGEboard

well, if we talk something like Tribes Ascend, you either get full perks by either being good or paying a lot. I spent 10 bucks on the game, got 1 kit maxed out, earned the rest through play.

In the end everyone is equal though, in the case of Tribes.

But the perks system is retarded in a PvP match because it give 1 player an advantage over the other, how can that be "competitive"?

has tbt fam

Perks are cool if done well. If they're all "you shoot slightly faster" or "you get to not die as fast", basically stat related shit, that's bad, but if it's cool gimmicky stuff like "enemies take damage depending on how fast they collide into you" I'm fine with that.

What you have to understand user is that most "game" producers are clueless about what gaming is. They come out of school with "degrees" and assume they are all of a sudden wizards of gaming.

The truth is 95% of devs are clueless and don't really need to be either. The people in charge of the projects are businessmen whom employ businessmen in what should be designer positions.

The industry is fully sold out now and we have just "pop" gaming. The difference between music and gaming though is that to produce a new sound / band / album takes a microscopic amount of time and effort vs a proper video game.

Until we see the tools to design games made to be used by non technical person we will always see this. Imagine if SONY/BMG just sent a person down to one of their top artists and started telling them how to sing and write their songs…. It's obvious when it happens and we can tell….

The entire industry is a disgusting joke run by short sighted narrow minded MBA majors with 0 idea of anything except making clones of successful games by other studios and remakes of their best selling IP.

No one takes any creative risks anymore and it's left up to the indie studios. Whenm one of them has a hit all the AAA's line up for a gang bang of clones and rehashed fkn bullshit call of battlefield 97 : rainbows seal team tango…

Personally i hope the next ISIS strike is on EA and Activision HQ.

Fuck these cunts for killing what i love.

How is picking a perk any different from buying an AWP in CS or rushing for the Lightning Gun in Quake?

Weapon =/= Perks

Perks is something you have to grind and always stats related like HP buff, speed buff, damage reduction.

In CS or Quake, everybody have the same weapon, no bullshit upgrade to increase damage. It's all about skills in those game, now its all about perks and upgrade so you can be OP as fuck

On one hand, I am fully aware that if you and your opponents are both getting upgrades, they're effectively pointless inflation. Everybody doing 10 damage per attack and having 100 health is effectively the same as everybody doing 20 damage per attack and having 200 health, but at least the former cut out the time-wasting grind on the way to things being the same.

On the other hand, I must admit that I really do like things changing about my in-game performance other than just my own player skill improving. Ideally it's running faster, jumping higher, new abilities and so on, but even number inflation is slightly better than nothing.

And yet, even the good kind of upgrades are pointless if my opponents are getting them too.

…So in the end, the only real solution is to play single-player PvE games without level scaling of any sort.

namefag pls go

How is that got anything to do with COMPETITIVE PVP? You are "better" than other player because you "grind" longer. You dont increase your play skills, you just increase your character's stats.

Faggot like you should play PvE instead

This is exactly the problem with perk systems. You are rewarded for playing for a long time, but not necessarily getting better at it. You're rewarded for participating, not by outperforming other players.

None of this matters, though. Having a long life span for a game is what's important. It can either be created naturally, by having players enjoy a good game. Or you can add an "artificial" system that rewards players with a drip feed of numbers and a false feeling of superiority, by giving them bonuses for just playing. Outside of PvE games, this should not be acceptable. But it gets people playing your game for ages and that's what publishers want.

But wait! Why would publishers want that? Don't they want people to buy the new shiny game and not keep playing the old game? Yeah, it doesn't work like that somehow. Keeping interest in the franchise is more important and then you dangle a shinier version for everyone's favorite game in front of these players. They all buy the new one (which pretty much plays the same, so no one feels alienated) and the cycle continues. Casuals are happy and publishers have heavy purses.
Great, isn't it?

Yeah, I have to agree. I'm not in game design, but I spend a lot of time around people who are at my university. I wouldn't say the instructors/students are ill-intentioned, but these guys just can not stop cargo-culting. The world does not need more phone games with "clever" monetization schemes, but that won't stop them from constantly making more of them. I guess that's just what happens when an art form becomes controlled by academia, because you can see the same pattern in music, cartoons, movies, comics, etc.

Mark, I wasn't the guy derailing. Why did you ban me and not him?

You can just filter namefags, user. Replying to them only makes them stay longer.

It's a Skinner Box, user. People play longer if they regularly get rewards, it's addicting. It's the same reason they keep buying the same games over and over again.

Peoples still play CS fucking source, your point?

I'm not entirely sure what you're point is either, I was explaining why people play games with perk systems because you asked.

Your explanation doesn't make any sense because peoples still play the original CS. Saying you need perks system to keep peoples addicted is bullshit.

If you can pay so you don't have to grind then it is pay2win also.

The perk/achievement/daily quest systems are all dirty psychological tricks to create habits into players, they do make people get more addicted by playing with human weaknesses.
Just like you can train some wild animal by giving him bread crumbs and keep him coming back to you.

So? Different things are popular for different reasons.
I didn't say you need perks for a game to be addicting, I said that's why those specific games were.

store.steampowered.com/stats/

CS:GO is by far more popular than any "competitive" shooter with perks, hell even older CS games have more player count than CoD. I prefer CS than CS:GO but the point is perks system isn't even popular in the competitive scene

Sounds like OP is a casual who can't git gud

No you dumb nigger, just because Justin Beiber is more popular than crack does not mean crack is not addictive.
A game can get popular through the community or marketing instead of merely playing on psychological weaknesses by making them addicts.

Okay, so what's the point of this thread?
All you're doing here is defeating your own argument.

Don't get me wrong, you can play multiplayer game with perks but marketed it as competitive is just too much. If marketing peoples said Justin Bieber is a Metal Rockstar, do you believe it?

how do perks and weapon upgrades remove the competitive aspect? how are you such a narrow minded piece of shit?
god forbid any element of strategy show itself you fucking caffeinated neanderthal

Oh I don't know, probably because ==IT GIVES AN UNFAIR ADVANTAGE TO OTHER PLAYERS==

What strategy you fucking retard, you literally have better weapon and stats because you grind longer than other players

I don't think the OP is talking about cash shops. I think he's referring to things like the perks and upgrades from, for example, Modern Warfare 2. I don't really think MW2 had an unfair system, though, since you'd eventually unlock everything. And I don't mean eventually as in League of Legends eventually, where it takes thousands of ingame hours to accomplish.

I dont mind leveling up in a single player game because it show your character's progression, but in a competitive PvP environment, it doesn't make any sense because you are not playing on equal ground with other players.

In CS or Quake, you know the other player is the same as you, same stats, same weapon, same everything, the only differences is your play skills.

The point is to make everyone unskilled, so that nobody gets their feelings hurt when they get raped by a better player, because not only does it dissuade improving skills - it's all down to the perks which even a shit-player can grind out if they're persistent enough.

This "opens the game up" to more players by creating a more casual friendly environment.

only pretending to be retarded?

It's like fatasses having a diet coke

why be something good when you can pretend you are for none of the effort?

care to post some green texts?

stop playing video games
also
>>>/reddit/

I can tell you're a millennial faggot by the way you type

yeah go drink out of the toilet, youre done

Play a game longer =/= better player

You don't learn "perks"

playing a game longer generally means you improve at it, yes

By that logic, DPS should be pro MLG now. Like I said, experiences =/= perks. Playing longer doesn't mean better player, that's where skills come in. Skilled player doesn't rely on perks to win the game. They are better not because their character have better stats or weapon, but because they are better player, see the difference? Better player, not player with OP character with maxed out stats. You earn perks by grinding meaning even shit player can get it. Grinding require no skill at all. You may assume your opponent have the same perks as you but assumption is not fact, they have varying stats and upgrade. But in the case of CS, you know everybody is the same

*DSP

GENERALLY, look up what that word means.

And? What does it have to do with perks in competitive game?

Not that user, generally the more time you spent doing something you get better at it. Its not a hard concept to grasp

But with perk system, you are not better, your character are.

if youre losing to a shit player becuase of their perks maybe you should just quit playing video games altogether

Look up "fair play" and come back to me

I hope Battalion 1944 fails.

oh you want a fair fight now? then youd be fine with handicapping yourself

If you're complaining about having to earn perks, guns, attachments, etc in CoD there's usually two multiplayer modes from BO2 and beyond: public matchmaking where you slowly grind for your gold camo and dick emblem, and league/comp where everything is already unlocked for you and you compete against teams of 4-6 people to stroke your epeen.

I seriously hope you didn't think public matchmaking = "competitive" play when concerning CoD.

I'm not actually sure what the level ups do.

But the companies decided they weren't pulling in enough money.

If you can grind for an advantage it's not necessarily P2W, but it is a blatant and abject failure of design for competition.

Are you retarded?

No, no, he means "fair" as in "conducted as per the doctrines of SocJus".

are you unskilled?

Fuck off, retard.

oh i get it, you dont actually want a fair game, you just want to 'pwnz0r t3h nubz' without paying any money

What? Do you have brain damage? That doesn't even make any sense.

Pay to grind less isn't pay to win. It just saves you time

Great logic there

all im getting from this thread is that casuals on Holla Forums cant beat a bunch of 12 year olds using their moms credit cards

Cant be arsed to read the whole thread but just because some people made a poor argument doesnt make P2W acceptable.

its acceptable because it makes bads mad

All I'm getting from you is:

or maybe my parents love me enough to buy me stupid virtual guns
hey but at least your mom lets you use her phone so you can samefag

ebip

You don't have any argument either you fucking retard.

checked

so you cant read and you cant play video games worth a damn
what are you doing on Holla Forums?