List games

Me and a friend want to play a coop game together but we can't figure out what to play. It needs to be early 2k or earlier and reasonable to play over hamachi or other such VPN's. We don't even care about the genre, we just don't have any ideas, please help and share experiences about fun coop experiences.

Serious Sam the first encounter and second encounter. Classic 2001/2002 version supports 4 player co-op, 2008 HD version supports up to 16

jesus christ spoiler that shit

Does it have to be coop, or can it be competitive?

That's not a bad idea, added to the list

Coop only, our friendship is not strong enough for anything competitive even though we have a very strong friendship.

Download MAME + MAMEHub and play some arcade games.

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Ninja Baseball Bat Man, Capcom's Aliens Vs. Predator, Konami's The Simpsons, TMNT IV Turtles in Time, the Bubble Bobble series, and the Metal Slug series are some personal recommendations.

I like the idea but I remember having some serious latency issues with MAME, am I remembering wrong or has the issue been addressed? It's been years since I used it.

C&C Generals
Diablo 2 (alternatively Diablo 2 with Median XL mod which is the true Diablo 3)
Doom 3 with OpenCoop
Half Life 2 with Synergy
Half Life with Sven Coop
Gears of War
Neverwinter Nights 1/2
Baldur's Gate 1/2
Icewind Dale 1/2
System Shock 2
Rainbow Six 3
Serious Sam 2 (not second encounter, 2 is the only non-shit SS game)

There's a bunch more, but that list should be good enough for now.

Also Sven co-op for HL1 (Sven itself doesn't require Half Life, it's free on steam) Synergy for HL2 (requires HL2)

you fokin wot m8 ? I like SS2, but SS TFE & SS TSE is the golden standard.

I remember my dad bringing me an office computer back in the early 2000.
It was 98 windows, somebody wanted to upgrade to something more recent and since my dad was the boss at the time, that worker gave the computer to my dad.
So I was playing around with the computer for a bit and I noticed a program called MAME, holy shit the number of games on that hard drive kept entertained for hours. This was before I even knew what emulation was.

Monaco.

They're boring as fuck with shit level design. 2 goes full Saints Row 3 and embraces the wackiness of the series and it's a fucking blast to play over and over again.

What difficulty you play on ? I guess we look for different things in our games.. I play the first 2 SS games on serious like i'd play bullet hell shut'em'up and it's the best ! Also Painkiller (I don't think it has any multiplayer though)

Good list

Been curious about Icewind Dale, how does it handle multiplayer? It's a bit cumbersome single player but I could see it getting either worse or better coop.

I expected more.

Snow Bros. 1 & 2, nigga. In the Hunt

Alien vs Predator 2 (2001) is always a good choice. I always have it installed for LAN parties.

Serious solo, Hard with my friend because he's pretty shit and is easily frustrated with shooters.

It's basically an identical system to NWN/BG. During my playthroughs of those we always have a 2 person party, no NPCs, and it's fun as fuck to see how hard we can break the game with just two characters.

Can you play arcade games (MAME) online?

Sorry.

Considered it before, might be a good option.

We did NWN before and it was fun, BG has a lot of extra text I don't have time for though hence why I'm kind of thinking IWD might be cool but it's a very party oriented game.

What are the snow bros like my fellow white man?

That picture is oddly hot. Also Terraria has always been a favorite of mine to play with friends.

If you've done BG, IWD is basically that with less talking and more dungeon crawling. If you end up playing that, I would strongly recommend one of you being a Cleric. You can still fuck shit up in melee, but you'll get your downtime to basically nothing and can pretty much effortlessly tear through the entire game with those OP heals since potions are expensive as fuck and you get like no HP back from resting.

Isn't Terraria just 2d minecraft?

Yeah but IWD is designed for a full party, maybe two party a members a pop, would that be reasonable?

Terraria is much more than that. The focus is more heavily put on spelunking and boss fights. It has a much bigger sense of progression than Minecraft with bosses unlocking new biomes and weapons/tools. And even though the combat is rather basic and 2D it's miles above Minecraft.

The thing about IWD (and BG) is that XP is split based on the amount of party members you have, so you'd be getting half the XP with four party members, but since you could have a much more rounded party with individually specialized members, it would actually end up being easier early on. Certainly doable if you want to go that route.

Imagine 2D Minecraft + Symphony of the Night and you've got a decent general idea.

Castlevania Minecraft sounds kind of cool, I can't say I'm not interested in that.

We should have finished the job.

You gotta love that smell of a boy's anus you know?