Game in medieval setting

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiled_leather
youtube.com/watch?v=qzTwBQniLSc
web.mit.edu/21h.416/www/militarytechnology/crossbow.html
nichegamer.com/2016/03/08/genkai-tokki-seven-pirates-girl-cast-options-grow-shrink-breasts/
metmuseum.org/toah/hd/aams/hd_aams.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What the fuck is light/medium/heavy armor supposed to even mean?

Plate is better distributed than main, offers better protection against virtually everything on the battlefield and allows for greater mobility. There is no such thing as "heavy armor". There's just how much money you have on hand to cover yourself in armor.

metal > stone
what is hard to understand?

Stop using ebonics, nigger.

That gets me every time. Why can't they get that right. At least Dark Souls had a good hammer polearm.

Pretty much any armour that'd majorly impact your ability to move would have been considered "shit armour" anyway.

If you can't move about with at least some degree of ease then you're fucked no matter how "strong" your armour might be.

blimey m8 u gonna get the colour slapped right outta your face i tell u wot

this meme needs to die, turtlefags are fucbois sponsered by their sugar daddies

Plate armour WAS heavy, only not as heavy as games make it up to be. It offered unhindered mobility and incredible protection, but it was very exhausting to move with it, which is why knights were so fucked if they ever fell off of their horses. If you were to charge across the field towards the enemy by foot, you'd have zero energy to actually fight when you reached the enemy lines.

As such, games should just give you a penalty to stamina while wearing it, rather than giving you shit AGI or slowing you down or whatever.

Can you fucking stop already?

It wasn't any heavier than the gear soldiers carry to battle today, and with the benefit of better distribution.

The only disadvantage was that it severely limited your ability to cool yourself, your ability to intake air and fucked with your vision and hearing.

>>(checked)

Even the armor they make weighs 10,000 pounds. It's supposed to be for "balance", but it's just idiocy.

Leather and chainmail was common, and even partial plate was fairly widespread by the 15th century. Only full plate was rare because it was expensive to produce and was in most cases tailor-made to fit the wearer's body.

We have no evidence that leather was actually used in making armor, beyond covering some spots that needed flexibility and tying armor pieces together.

No evidence for leather aside from fittings from my surface-level research AKA reading other people's shit on Holla Forums, but padded armour was a thing.

Depends on the time period, I'd say. The armor got thicker when longbows came into fashion (as they could punch through the armor), and then even thicker with crossbows and guns.

And then armor became nonexistant during the Napoleonic era.

you're off by about 200 years fuqqbuoi

The most annoying thing by far is when sword slashes are depicted as effective against plate armour. The only way to defeat someone in plate armour is to pierce it, crush it, or bypass it. Piercing is achieved using warhammers, some polearms or high-powered projectile weapons such as crossbows and later firearms, crushing can also be achieved with warhammers, and to bypass it you aimed for the joints or the slits in the helmet etc. In order to bypass the plates you needed to be able to thrust a sharp point with high precision, which typically meant half-swording as you could guide the sword's tip much more effectively.

Leather was common for the simple reason that it's warm, regardless of its protective capacities.

No.

That only started happening when rifles came into their own, and kept on going until the armor got so heavy it became impractical.

The purpose of armor wasn't to stop a blow, but to deflect it.

Do you know where the term "bulletproof" comes from? This shit was made from steel that could withstand arrows and bolts from anything but close range.

A crossbow bolt is lighter than a war arrow, and you need a tremendously powerful one to endanger someone covered in plate at any reasonable range.

Present evidence that leather armor was used.

Games workshop would sue, that's why.

Powerful crossbows could pierce plate armour if the bolt approached with a favourable angle of attack.

And you could fuck up a knight in plate with a shitty kitchen knife if you happened to get lucky and stab into his visor.

Of course the armor wasn't perfect, but that shit was made with survival in mind, perfected over a few centuries. The armorsmiths knew what they were doing.

Nobody was gonna put on a walking oven on them just for shit and giggles.

Crossbows are stronk

I'm not saying plate armour wasn't effective. My original point is that in most games it's depictied as completely ineffective as stopping things like sword slashes, which had absolute no hope of doing anything to the person inside it.

Nobody fought against plate armour by slashing at it. That's why half-swording exists - so you can aim the tip of your sword at joint and partings in the metal and stab into them.

no, you still had cuirassers

You had them right up to WW1 actually.

I think I saw a photo of some dude during the war in metal bodyarmor, but not sure

It was an exception to the rule.

They should have kept that shit all things considered. Might not stop a bullet, but it sure as fuck would help against shrapnel.

Mobility and carrying capacity are generally more important in modern war than straight up protection. For every situation in which metal armour would save your life on a modern battlefield, there are 50 in which it would get you killed.

>no one wears helmets, despite helmets being the most fucking important piece of armour to wear

That's what helmets are for.

Looks heavy as fuck to me. Makes sense for where the pic said it was, as snipers and machine gunners are stationary. In a world of flying explosives and bullets, mobility is more important than ever.

Not when going "over the top", obviously, but when you're in a trench and just waiting for the bombardment to start it could come in handy.

You do realize that even today soldiers use helmets and armor in conjunction for that, right?

Like I said to , I imagined them used in a defensive role, not when storming the enemy trenches.

what's wrong with str scaling on a crossbow user?
the logic is plain and simple, pulling the trigger harder makes the bolts hit harder

Sounds about right, considering "affluenza" is a valid legal defense in burgerstan.

Some similar piece of equipment were issued to assault troops formations in red army. Auch armour could stop 9mm parabellum bullet used in german MP38/40.

Nobles had higher ups too. Now, if you're a duke and some shitty baron's brat is running around the countryside fucking up your tax base, raping their women and just pissing people off he's gonna get his shit kicked in.

Nobles did have a lot of leeway, but they were not above the law, let alone when they were fucking with someone's source of shekels.

The stronger you are the harder you're going to hit with melee weapons, you can use higher poundage bows and throw bigger, heavier projectiles faster.

Yeah but
say it's a crossbow man

There's exactly one level of power you're gonna be firing that thing with.

Leather armor is a thing, the type of leather and how it was made was different from what fantasy games would have you believe but yes leather armor is a thing.

You get strong so you can use a bigger crossbow, obviously.

the harder you pull the trgger, the harder it goes :^)

You still have to rearm the crossbow though, and the stronger you are the faster it goes.

Fine, this is likely how most peasants sexual encounters with nobles went.

It makes him a shitty noble but this is likely how shitty nobles did this kind of thing.

No this is shit writing used to make you hate a character or nobility in general. Not only would nobles not actually do this because it's retarded but their superiors would not allow it. It's also unlikely that many of the soldiers under their command would actually go along with this. A noble who tried this would quickly find a knife in his throat or a "liberating" army on his doorstep.

This. The king doesn't want some shitty brat fucking up his tax and popular support, nor does any other noble.

It's called the Gambeson you faggot.

>Usually constructed of linen or wool, the stuffing varied, and could be for example scrap cloth or horse hair.
Kill yourself.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiled_leather
This shit's a pain in the ass to find, and there is almost no extant examples of it, but it was used.

>The aketon, gambeson, vambasium, and jack were military vestments, calculated for the defence of the body, differing little from each other, except in their names, their materials and construction were nearly the same, the authorities quoted in the notes, shew they were all composed of many folds of linen, stuffed with cotton, wool or hair, quilted, and commonly covered with leather, made of buck or doe skin

You first.

Explain this then.

I'm aware you can make leather into armor, and that there are some armors that feature bits of leather here and there.

I've yet to see any proof that people used boiled leather for a full set of armor.

That's not leather armor though, it's covered in leather to make it "waterproof".

Now I'm starting to question what your definition of leather armor is.

neither crossbows nor longbows could actually penetrate plate armor, unless they were fired from like 50cm away.

Butterbean? The gimmick boxer? What's there to explain?

Obviously armor that derives its defensive properties from (boiled) leather.

By your logic a fucking leather bag is now armor, just strap that shit on your chest and you're good to go.

Apparently the chinks made armour from shit tons of layers of treated paper.

silk armor is a thing
helps you pull arrows out

pssh
thats not a weapon kid
go build a dog house

Thread theme, argue medieval while listening to medieval

I don't think the chinks gave much of a shit about their cannon fodder troops in general.

I remember a thread where there was a discussion about Roman vs Chinese (each at the height of their power) and people repeatedly kept saying the Chinese could win because they had more bodies to throw at the enemy.

Nobody seems to remember you can stretch a battleline only so far, or that most losses are incurred after one side routs.

Now, riddle me this, who is going to turn tail and run first? A professional Roman legionary with years of campaigning under his belt or a chink rice farmer conscript with paper armor and a shit spear?

Close but no fag

well the lego has more to lose and the rice farmer is probably so miserable hed welcome death or honor, whichever comes first

One strike with my Iaijutsu is all I need to take you down, punk

When there is a literal difference in magnitude, the rice farmer wouldn't care about the poor idiots who are in front of him as he marches into a meat grinder, as long as the grinder breaks before he gets to the front. Foster a mentality of that to all of your fodder, and they don't care about the nameless they stand upon to reach victory.

Knave, thou hasn't even got a belt for thy scabbard

Thing is, they would never achieve victory. You're talking about an army of faceless, ill trained conscripts marching against the premier killing machine of antiquity, with excellent tactics, unit cohesion, NCOs et al, that had refined (heavy) infantry fighting into a fine art.

These are the guys that broke Macedonian phalanxes, what are a bunch of chinks with their itty bitty spears gonna do?

methinks youve spent too much coin at the local tavern. anime swordsmen wear many a belt

Read 'a bunch' as 'a whole shit-ton', and get back to me.

Well I wasn't the one who stripped off all his armour till its just you and your weeb sword

That joke is incredibly lame.

You can do fucking Cartwheels in armour.

youtube.com/watch?v=qzTwBQniLSc

Again, you can only cram so many troops along a battleline, sooner or later numerical superiority becomes meaningless. Doubly so if your army is made up of ill trained, not particularly motivated conscripts that are there because you forced them to.

When Romans start mowing them down they're gonna break and run.

And that's ignoring strategic mobility. Roman legions can dance circles around any Chinese army.

the shadows are all the armor i need baka gaijin

I'l just stand in the open. Idiot Nippon

Tell that to the russians.
They win wars by sheer attrition, doesn't matter if you have 2000 trained guys when they can just send 200,000 at you and keep them coming.

What's the matter pal? God didn't love you enough to make you be born as a noble?

Every game every made gets crossbows and longbows totally wrong.

Crossbows are close to medium range weapons that use a combination of extreme draw weight and very light projectiles to pierce through even thick armor. They're also insanely accurate within that range, but the bolt is so light it loses all of it's speed after a few dozen yards and drops like a rock. Crossbows were also pretty slow to load depending on their draw weight, but they could be carried at full draw for hours, unlike a bow, so the first show would be much faster.

Bows are long range weapons that shoot a large heavy arrow extremely far with great accuracy and rate of fire. Bows were optimized for accurate volleys at extreme ranges, and unlike crossbows, actually GAINED power as the distance increased to the target due to gravity. IN addition, their longer fletching made them extremely accurate in the hands of a skilled archer, Robin Hood's feats of accuracy were NOT exaggerated, and if the archer was strong enough they could have a very impressive fire rate. Even after the development of armor that made troops completely immune to arrow wounds, the sheer mass of arrows in a volley could beat people to the ground, disrupt charges, and in some cases actually pummel people to death through their armor.

tl:dr - crossbows are shotguns, bows are rifles.

cyka

Romans can't dance around a army that goes all the way back to China. I don't believe you understand the sub-continent worth of soldiers that'll die for any chance of land or gold to get out of being poor. The Romans can't hold off a force that size.

Germany nearly won the war though.

But we aren't talking about numerical differences that drastic.

Logistics are more important than men. A force of chinese large enough to overwhelm the roman army will starve to death before they can win.

We are though, China stronk, the imperial ability to draft an army was pretty strong.
Also Almost only counts in 2 things. Horseshoes and hand grenades. Only one side had grenades.
I mean where are they even fighting, if we're talking mass armies then we have to include logistics, timelines for weaponry and other fun stuff.

web.mit.edu/21h.416/www/militarytechnology/crossbow.html

all days come to an end barbarian

the song at 34:00 reminds me of the minigame shop song in ocarina of time

whhops, wrong one.

Keep in min that's against UNARMORED targets, against someone in armor it's useless at that range.

Post some desktop backgrounds. This is what I've got right now.

even the horses have these ridiculous expressions

There are people who think Shakespeare was high literature.

Are we assuming they actually fight a decisive battle or an extended campaign? In a campaign I would give the edge to Rome partly because they didn't get pissy if they campaign well into rice harvesting season or whatever. Whoever is being invaded will generally have the logistical advantage so that is hard to say. Oh yeah and what do you think would be the height of Chinese power? I know Rome would probably be early/mid imperial period but I will admit I don't know much about China.

Some of the biggest fuckups in fighting Russia historically were logistical problems. IE muh russian winter and the muddy season fucking with the war machine of others, huge lines of supply and lack of winter clothing. Napoleon won Borodino but the Russians knew they had the ability to retreat almost endlessly and so the french bled out slowly.

You're not wrong about longbows, see Agincourt

Happens with Japs as well.

That's not how the Russians won though.
They won by hiding in the hills until only the supply convoys were left, torching those and leaving the enemy's forward armies to starve and freeze to death in the Russian winter.
While it's a form of attrition, it's not the attrition you're talking about.

Everyone was smug in the crusades user. It even goes back to biblical times.

it's basically as heavy as a school backpack but over your whole body
unless it's like some retard thick metal it's not that heavy

They always do.

Bravo Raphael

It is heavy if you lug around for hours, days, etc on end, you phallic retard.

but hauling it around for a long time makes you stronger, thus negating that

if it isnt heavy its too thin

It must be because the author didn't find a dragon in real life to take reference.

No, that's against plate armor, see "Arrows Against Steel, Vic Hurley, Mason/Charter, NY: 1984."

What world are you living in?

Underrated post.

Underrated proxy

the real one
Most modern soldiers have heavier gear than platemail from the olden days

it was cumbersome, its different wearing something on your back than it is having it all over your body restricting every single movement.

Come on, step it up.

Romans specialized in shield walls for a very long time the infamous Phalanx is but one of their formations. The army was essentially a meat grinder that takes advantage of the mass of themselves plus their enemy to pin the frontline against their shields so their spearmen and swords can stab them as they're helpless to escape. They even formed a specialized triple line checkered formation which gave them flexibility to change their formations, continuous engagement at the front when they retreat or otherwise needed to pull troops back to rest, and it maximized the amount of power and stamia they could pull out of their infantry.

The biggest flaw and weakness of the Romans was cavalry.

But that's wrong

Where did these zeroes come from

What? I thought that was true.

Thee, Thou basically means you depending on whether "you" is the subject of a sentence or a an object in the sentence in Shakespeare.

it all depends on which side swings their whips harder

actually they never went away
they turned into "flak jackets" and they stop shrapnel not handheld arms

Are you talking about mountain bled?
If you are, what do female characters get besides the "haha, a FEMALE knight?" response before you prove yourself a capable murdering machine?

My brothers in Christ

You get a fucking personal pet army in your married Lord, which men can never have. You also get better starting stats, because +1 agi +1 int from sex shits on +1 str +1 cha, cha being uselessly bad compared to renown (str is alright, but fuck cha).

Some of the modified 'Your dad was a X and you did Y as a youth' responses are better suited to being the OP as fuck aura-char with maxed party skills for the bonus that M&B so desperately wants you to be. (Because it's shit, btw.)

Also, adding to this, giving females +1 int over men is just blatantly feminist bullshit.

That's a laugh considering that the Chinese spent their entire history getting their asses kicked.

If anything, men should get +1 str and +1 int, while women get +1 agi and +1 whatever equivalent there is to emotionality (maybe willpower?)

Charisma would work.

Men should get like +5 str +5 agi +5 int +5 cha and women should stay in the fucking castle and shut up.

theyre the chinese though
they are literally borg humans
they treat people who arent their immediate family as background noise essentially

I want to be excited for this game since it's what I've always dreamed of but I can't because UBISOFT, they always manage to fuck great concepts up.

They also have a history of losing every war they were ever in, I don't think not caring for human life is going to help their shit combat skills.

Fair knight
you must climb the great monastery's lookout tower in order to attain the surrounding area on your map!

what is this? chivalry: history's deadliest warrior? or pirates vikings and knights ubisoft edition?

I would say Charisma and Luck, since a pair of tits functions pretty much the same way as charisma and they're lucky that they don't ever have to work for a living

titties would negate the agility

Ah, but what about women with flat chests?

Women have shitty spatial reasoning ability and lack male dexterity (Unless shit calls for tiny hands) so men should get more agi, too.

I wish native Warband had VC's wound system so females could get constant stress fractures in their bones for trying to be men, at least.

Nothing like Ass Creed

then they lose the charisma, well this is getting mean.

Don't hype, just wait and see. If it is shit, it is shit. If not, then it is not.

Could we assume that they get an increase in agi or stamina?
Flat chested women usually do well as sprinters and athletes in general.

every single fucking ubisoft game has watchtowers you have to climb

i guess if they were agile enough theyd get the charisma back for being a sexy ninja catwoman

That is because they have been making the same game for ten years with a different coat of paint.

far cry isnt ass creed
ass creed itself is basically a zelda clone

Now this is interesting.
Perhaps we should tie stat bonuses not only to sex, but to body features?

Not on Steam yet

A good sign

Well then it's settled

If you give her big tits, it's +1 CHA and +1 LCK

If you give her small tits, it's +1 AGI and +1 LCK

We should probably make a character creation to be more about what their lifestyle has been up to the point of the game, and those features would decide both stats and aesthetics.

We shouldn't discount biology, though. That lays the groundwork.
Then we factor in lifestyle and upbringing.

Bloodline, Upbringing, and Lifestyle?

Gender (only two, faggots), Bloodline, Upbringing Lifestyle

Anything else?

you play too much gta5

I would further divide that into Race, Sex, and Physical Stature/Shape

Other then sex, your parents decide your starting race and stature/shape. So bloodline,

That's true. Touche, user.

So, Sex, Bloodline, Upbringing, and Lifestyle?

Yes, that seems like a good determiner for bonus stats.

this shit is just inviting historical revisionist bullshit to be shoe horned into the game

We haven't even begun discussing the setting for a game, user.
We're merely tossing around ideas for starting bonuses in an rpg or any game for that matter

This could be a good way to have a majority of players choose to be white and rich for the greatest opening.

lifestyle would include things such as whether or not xeyre comfortable with the body xey were born in and whether or not xey yearn to be an animal (fictional or otherwise) or a perxon of a xifferent xender

If anything, mongrels should get some sort of disability, since they're more prone to mental illness.

{triggered}

We're talking about ideals, user.
No one here honestly believes devs in the current industry would even attempt to do such a thing.

But the new devs, born and bred on these boards… they will do great things.

Provided they'll stop jerking it long enough to do something about the shit of the current industry.

This is the optimism I like to see, user!

Keep it up

Search "rolling in armor" and then stop discussing shit you're completely ignorant on. Afterwards go to reddit.

It'd be nice if that was good. I'd be all over a realistic Dynasty Warriors.

Shouldn't crossbow reload speed be based on strength?

How?

Plus it looked badassl!

any armor is shit whoitout padding, so description still can count a leather armour

Where a full plate armour and see why is a light one dumbass

These are all relative to what is heavy/light in the first place

Chainmail is heavier than cloth and padded gambesons, while plate armor is heavier than chainmail

Never say never.
nichegamer.com/2016/03/08/genkai-tokki-seven-pirates-girl-cast-options-grow-shrink-breasts/

Boy I sure do love video games

This thread is relevant to video games

I don't see any video games, just autists talking about history on a video game board because a template thread allowed them to sperg out.

Well now, that's refreshing to see. I'll be cautiously following this game I think.

This looks too easy. You all know it will be shit.

Sounds like you should learn how to have some fun, dubsman.

*niggeur

qq mor fgt

But between armour talking is called light weight because exactly the comparison of it being against the full plate. Is retard to think otherwise

please tell me i can make the loli a busty juggernaut

a mail shirt weighed 20-30 pounds and all the weight hung on your shoulders and belt

a full suit of plate weighed 45-55 pounds and it's distributed across your entire frame

chain isn't light by any metric

Chainmail is heavy you fagot. You can even find examples heavier than some plate mail.

Russians don't win wars, Russian winters do.

Chainmail was never referred to as "chainmail". It was just called Mail.

What the fuck is this nigger shit? I squat 300 lbs., and my plate carrier with level III plates and four loaded AK magazines is an absolute pain to march in for extended periods of time. With rifle, that's maybe 35 lbs. of gear total.

Terribly false, friend. Educate thyself:
metmuseum.org/toah/hd/aams/hd_aams.htm

spot the fatass

thou thee and thy are informal pronouns.
all of this derives from french influence in english.
You is used when you are talking to a person in a formal situation (like your superior), or to a stranger. Thou is used when talking to somebody you know well enough.

another thing is that thou was most likely pronounce "thoo" and not "thaou".
same goes for "ye". "ye oldde shoppe would ectually be pronounced as "the old shop", as Y was used to replace the "þ" or thorn.

"How be ye" would not be "how be "yee", it would just be "how be yuh" or "how be thuh" since in french, the "e" is silent.
although I'm basing this what I'm currently reading in middle english so it owuld be nice if someone corrected me.