Quality Claymation

Why did Claymation stop being used to tell good stories? Will Vinton's Rip Van WInkle is one of my favorites.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_featuring_clay_animation
vimeo.com/152386492
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because nothing is good anymore. Blame the Jews.
/thread

it's expensive as fuck to make, it takes far too long to create something great in claymation, no studio wants to shell out for that much clay and film, and all of the actually good claymation creators are either dead or too old to do it anymore. considering the last claymation thing to come out was Coraline and that was eight years ago and the last thing done before that was The Nightmare Before Christmas back in 1993 I doubt we'll be seeing any more claymation anything any time soon. it feels bad user.

Hey user at least the last two we got were good movies that had some sort of heart put into them.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_featuring_clay_animation

It looks like they're still being made, maybe the question we should be asking is, why aren't claymation/stop-motion films being advertised or distributed?

Hmm, I'm going to have to check some of this shit out.

It hasn't really stopped. We've still had great films like The Pirates! Band of Misfits, ParaNorman, The Boxtrolls, and Shaun the Sheep Movie. Plus, Aardman Animations and Laika have already made plans to make new films in 2018-2020, including Shaun the Sheep Movie 2. It's not that they stopped; it's just that claymation takes a lot of time.

MY DUDE.
WHAT THE SHIT THIS WAS AMAZING

I'm surprised it is still actual stop-motion. I'd assumed it was all CGI now with fancy, life-like textures by now.

oh shit, I forgot about this one.

Nah, See, Claymation is to 3D graphics what Hand-drawn animation is to digital 2D. Essentially, you could achieve just as detailed, lifelike animations just the same if you spent the same amount of effort put into it digitally as if you had done it physically, but the computer gives you too many opportunities to cheat, while physical allows you almost none. It's why Cuphead has done so well. It practically sells itself on sheer artistic effort and detail alone.
Honestly, I'm just waiting for Tim Burton's Fantasia to become a thing, where we cut out the middle-man of story and plot, something that always seems to kill his movies, and just let us feast on the sheer aesthetic appeal. Shit like that is also the only thing I'd really want to see in VR as well.

webm version.

Clayshit is creepy af fam, only 2D kino is worth it

The process of Claymation always amazed me, and while it's not exactly/co/ related the Neverhood and Armikrog are both great examples of the medium even if you didn't care for either games
The relevent information shows up at 6 minutes about the making of sets and the work that went into planning and rigging characters and models. Armikrog released an in depth behind the scenes look at their game but it was backers only and I can't find a rip
I think I still have the link somewhere in my email and I can share it here with you lot if you're interested when I find it

Found the Amrikrog documentary.
vimeo.com/152386492
Password is armifull_60

And everything else Laika has done since then doesn't count becauseā€¦?

Wait..we're talking about claymation..and no brought up Aardman?

I have talked to one of the guys working on this, he is a great fellow.

who worked*

The BBC did some interesting stuff with claymation retelling certain Shakespeare stories, the pied piper, and the characters of Caternbarry tales between the stories (and for some of the stories themselves.)

That Mark Twain one with the airship and weird crap scared the piss out of me as a kid.

My animation teacher was one of the lead animators for this movie!

Really? got any stories to share?

I've never thought of it that way, but that's a pretty good analogy.

Man what shitty movie