Runescape Makes Hearthstone

Runescape has a new, totally original card game!

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/205890/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

where can i preorder?

Progressively staring a transgender!

Why only Steam would allow such a quality game user!
store.steampowered.com/app/205890/

Its funny, because Runescape was always seen as a poor mans WoW even though it predates WoW by many years

Now they're copying Blizzard for real

Another example of meme magic at work

-Penny Arcade

-PC Games N

-Kotaku

I can't help but think these quotes are taken out of context. Well, except the Kotaku one.

From what I've seen on video it looks more like a Capsule Monster Coliseum type of game than HS. Who the hell are any of these heroes, though?

Actually this reminds me a lot of that one Funorb title, where you summoned armies based on Runescape monsters. Besides how p2w and dead that thing is it was really fun. Armies of Draenor or whatever it was called.

So they cut their losses after DarkScape (their only decent project in years) flopped in less than 6 months and shat out this abomination instead. N-neat…

Armies of Glienor was pretty cool though

The only good thing Jagex has done besides RS is their Worms clone

Isn't it dead? Like Jagex.

I miss Runescape.

Is it actually like hearthstone?
The artstyle is ripped off but what about the mechanics?

Holy shit I thought this was just shopped or texture modded Hearthstone at first. This is the most shameless clone I have ever seen.

The game plays nothing like hearthstone, nice try op.

It's been in beta for a while, I played it for a bit.
All the UI and card economy is ripped off from hearthstone but the actual way you battle against players is very different.
I didn't play it enough to see too many different strategies but it seems like the design space due
to how you battle seems pretty shallow.

Actually plays very differently. You and your rival set up encounters with your deck that your adventurer will deal with. Killing monsters might give you gold, which you use to purchase a weapon which allows you to one-shot the next monster to give you armor or reduce your rival's hp and so and so forth. At the end of five rounds if neither hero is dead they trade blows until one dies.

The problem is it makes the game basically a single player experience. I faced opponents who all they did was buy a weapon and forge it into a super powerful sword of raping and I only had two cards that could remove their durability so I was powerless to watch him upgrade more and more and more until the duel to the death happened. Perhaps a limitation from the basic cards but it felt terrible.

Character classes basically set your strategy in stone. Blacksmith will always be about upgrading your weapon a fuck ton. Mage will always be about burning your foe. Warrior will always be about becoming a massive tank. Vampire and Archer/Thief actually allow variety to play.

You get a pathetic amount of game money to buy new packs from playing so after getting two packs I quit altogether.

To clarify: you make a deck for YOUR hero to face. I think it could actually work if you made a deck of monsters for the opponent to deal with instead.

So, it isn't a heartstone clone?

Gotta hand it to Jagex - they actually changed mechanics enough so at least that part isn't just a clone.

Doesn't make it a good game though.

Eh.
Got it to work on wine finally.
It's pretty boring from what I've seen.
The biggest problem is the lack of intelligent choices when actually playing.
I don't feel like playing enough to see if I'm wrong but it looks like the game is all about building around 1 strategy and hoping the opponent has one that is weak against it, then wait for 5 minutes until the game is over.
Pretty disappointing.

That's the thing. It is rock-paper-scissors game where you play solitaire for five minutes and sometimes screw your opponent over. If I am playing the tank guy I know I am going to destroy any mages that I face because they can't burn me to death but I have no way to deal with the insane DPS of the blacksmith.

Oh, and going first/second matters far more than any other game. It might mean getting the first attack on your opponent on the final duel that might just be the tipping factor between who wins or loses, it might mean being able to destroy their weapon on the final turn before the duel if they go first equipping it… on the few times where you can interfere with your opponent your plans might be foiled entirely because of it.

Overall 3/10. Interesting concept but poorly executed.

So it's kind of like Hand of Fate but with Runescape combat?

I'm not sure if that's better or worse than arkham combat.

I'd agree, though I like the pop-up aesthetic. Watching the enemy player is annoying though.

I know the Chinese bought Jagex but Jesus Christ this is a carbon fucking copy

I remember in the beta I played ozan a lot with a shekel deck.
Basically be as jewish as possible and crush your opponent under the weight of debt.