In depth world design that annoys the fuck out of you

Why can't someone do something REALISTIC for once? Why are we still stuck in the same awful shit formulas like always?

Other urls found in this thread:

da-vinci-inventions.com/davinci-inventions.aspx
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_planet
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Did you mean "autistc"?
Because you sure sound it.

I'm not a Holla Forumsyp but come on

This is pretty much how it is in real life too. Earth is the exception.

an hero blz

ok. Guess I'm autistic then.

That was something I really liked about pre-Skyrim Elder Scrolls: everyone would hate Khajiit and call them shit like Skooma-using beggars and really just condemn the whole race.
On that note:

All three of those planet types you mentioned are perfectly realistic.
Lava - there are tons of planets too close to their sun to sustain life, so they're just barren rocks. If those barren rocks also happen to have violent geologic activity, there's going to be lava everywhere.
Snow - instead of too close to its sun, these planets are too far from it. Should the planet's atmosphere also have enough water to cause storms, this water would become snow or ice.
Ocean planet - I'm pretty sure there are quite a few planets scientists think might be covered in liquid water. Expand this to include oceans of any other element, and you can even add planets like Jupiter, which has unfathomably massive and deep oceans of liquid hydrogen.
And to put a nail in the coffin of this subject, I've heard of a planet that scientists believe is made entirely of diamond. Reality is plenty capable of some weird shit.

my point is further confrmed though, earth is the only planet with definite life on it (to our knowledge) because it is an exception. Shouldn't that make all the other video game planets that also bear life just as much of an exception?

You can kind of consider Earth an ocean planet. Not to the same degree as sometimes depicted in fiction.

If you were an alien, would you be able to tell the different human races apart? I'm sure if they were physically different enough from us, they'd even mistake apes and monkeys as humans and wonder why some have tails.

Metroid Prime, faggot. Tallon IV is a beautiful planet

Believe me I wish we could get a Discworld like fantasy game where the friggin internet was discovered before the printing press was.

Well, the races are different colors. All they would need is eyes.

Did you fail elementary school or something nigga?

Good one pal, do you got anymore of those witty remarks for us?

Is that an actual Discworld element? Magical internet?

Because I would love to see what kind of magical shitposting that wizards would do.

Okay there's some difference in colours but that doesn't mean anything to someone who has little to no experience with humans. An alien race would have no concept starting out about the difference between a frecnhman or an irishman, because they're both the same colour.

Except that's false considering Mars is sandy desert except for its poles and none of the planets in our Solar System have active tectonic activity, meaning different physical systems never happened to develop like they did on Earth.

Jupiter is mostly gaseous hydrogen and helium except near the center where it's liquid. It isn't a sea or ocean by any definition. If you really wanted to talk about seas or bodies of liquid you should have brought up Titan's hydrocarbon lakes.

Example, climbing that mountain in Skyrim.

It's not really magical, to tell the truth, but basically they just use shutters and lights to simulate the 1's and 0's, still in its base form.

It's used mostly for messages and the like (actually called C-mail, or "Claks Mail") but they can also transmit pictures and other things.

Might have expanded closer to Pratchets death but basically just early early internet.

They are actually fixing the planet issue in Endless Space 2.

I've never bought that bullshit. People traveled the Silk Road for hundreds of years.

Ah, I see. Was getting ahead of myself and imagining wizards writing messages hanging in the air that only other wizards could see and they would just shit up whole towns like that, plastering invisible notes on everything.

An ocean is really any large body of liquid. Jupiter's liquid hydrogen qualifies. Nothing in the definition of an ocean states that it has to be covering a rock seabed.

Nigger we are on an ocean planet, the thing is fucking 70% water

The africans could already solve their most pressing issues with simple people working in a hunter gatherer society requiring no advanced agriculture. They had no need to evolve further or develop technology, hence, they didn't.
A fantasy race would be very similar, neither sanitation nor medicines would be developed because why would someone even consider spending their whole lives on it when you could just pray to the gods and have your syphilis cured? Why would transportation evolve from horses, to boats, to trains, and then to cars when you could just teleport everywhere? Why would you develop crossbows, muskets, or rifles when you could just blap someone with a magic missile? Although they look barbaric and uncivilized, the real issues of survival and comfort are already solved, and any technology is technology that can be learnt and put into practice by the layman who can't learn magic.

I think this is an interesting direction you could take fantasy.

To tell you the truth I would like to see an RPG or Dark Messiah type game set in Discworld universe.

They have weird and wild groups, like the Time Monks, who basically have a Monastery that is frozen on a spring day all the time, and actually have a way to keep it up by using modified prayer wheels they call "procastinators" to store time and keep the monastery in a set position in time.

spelling mistake. "Procrastinators"

That's operating under the assumptions that magic is accessible to everyone, and that magic is safe and reliable, and that magic is capable of assisting with all basic needs of survival, and that wizards wouldn't inevitably get carried away and do stupid unnecessary bullshit like flying cities or volcano fortresses.

Yeah earth is a water planet. We're water creatures, we evolved from the ocean. In fact to this day our blood is the same salinity as salt water. Our bodies are nothing more than elaborate ocean-transportation-systems that allow us to survive on land. 60% of our body weight is water, etc.

It's funny thing about intergalatic games,
they hardly ever feature the cool things that space has like binary stars, gas giants, or asteroid clouds

I remember seeing a episode of a show or a movie or something like that on TV years ago that was about a modern society with magic, but the magic was becoming obsolete. Wars were fought with weapons instead of magic, science-based medicine was ahead of magic-based medicine, etc.

It's the other way around actually. If magic were accessible to everyone, there would be enough freedom for people to learn on their own and develop new schools. With a small cabal of mages it would create a closed gate circle jerk community that would eventually break down to a cult because of stagnation. Even though magic would hinder development because it has staled, there would always be the perception that complex problems can be solved by magic. Which means that people wont look to alternative methods and anyone who isn't simply born into the life of a mage, and who pulls some zero to hero success story, would just get pulled into the fold.

The one big assumption I'm making is that magic comes from divine beings, is used without really understanding the true foundations, taken for granted, and pragmatic.

Why spend your years learning magic to set things on fire or heal the sick?
You can just buy a lighter and some ibuprofen

This could be an interesting setting for a game. What about a story where the protagonist's goal is to break the status quo, somehow? Would it be about teaching people to rely on things other than magic, or would it be finding a way to break the mages' monopoly and bring magic to the rest of the populace?

Tabula Rasa had different planets each with different biomes, was refreshing

I think that was already done in TES, with Vanus Galerion and the Mages Guild.

I imagine it'd be like play like a Galileo sim.

In what way?

I suspect you don't know very much about Galileo.

S-sorry I don't. All I know is that he tried to tell everyone the earth was flat and got bullied to death.

this is what i call "world compression", MMORPGs and sand box games tend to do it when they try to create a single massive map.

cause modern medicine is still restricted by our body's cellular regeneration.

seriously the only useful kind of magic from vidya would be a mix of the standard paladin spell set, necromancy, and the arcane assassin stealth teleport, everything else we have tech for that can do it faster and better.

give him a gun and military training repeat a couple million times and you've got yourself an immortal army.

if magic was real we would have stil be stuck in medieval time moron
whats easier, wiggle the hands and your cloths are clean or study, and invent a washingmashin?

there's your problem. Once you visit a genre that isn't crippled by cuckoldry, you can find just what you want. Try checking out Thief.

not really…. because we are carbon live based so if you have another race it will need andsurvive with some other planet

Technology has mostly evolved for purposes of warfare. If wars are fought with magic, there is no need for creation of military technology, so the world doesn't technologically evolve. This is actually quite sensible than some kind of handwave bullshit like magic makes computer run faster. In a world with magic wars, there would BE no computers! They would communicate via telepathy or something, so there is no reason to develop encryption for secret messages.

good job

Why are bows a thing in medieval fantasy that features magic? Clearly that shows a demand for non-magic based projectile weaponry. There would be much of the same military innovation even with magic.

Idiot detected.

Just because magic exist, it doesn't mean that it's available to everyone and easy to harness.
that is a requirement for it to have far-reaching effects.

Shaddap nazi knife ears. You have to become a cocksleeve for my human aryan dick.

It's a no-win scenario.

If it took you 10 hours of real-time walking over empty plains (which would be realistic), people would complain even more

HA!

I think Fagolass would like you.
He's a degenerate among my people and likes you humans for some reason. Why would an elf debase himself to have..intercourse with an animal is beyond me. But I did forward him your message. Expect him to drop by soon to claim your anus.

okay lady. Now you've posted a human in an elf suit. You really can't even make up your own mind as to what your identity is. Besides Human > Elves. Superior genes, bigger bodies and we're a hell of a lot more enterprising. Knife ears you get no mercy, just relentless rape try and stop a 90 kg human with muscle and ability without a good weapon. I am not the one affected by aphrodisiacs so this is gonna be fun

which only means you would have DIFFERENT kinds of variations than earth's, not Mario level tier planets that are nothing but giant deserts with different colors
despite how different alien life-forms could be, it wouldn't be hard to draw some parallels with our own existence, a distinct biome rich planet for one

The first thing to come to mind is elder scrolls, where at least oblivion and skyrim use septims, but septims have been around for thousands of years. And a coin is a coin even in real life, as a burger I've seen so many country's coins being used and accepted by the fact it uses the same words or looks the same.
Got about 5 USD in 3 pence coins after some time.

Let's not forget the fact that not only do these worlds usually stagnate in terms of technological achievement they actually degenerate. You always see reference of great holds, and keeps that just fall into disrepair or in Skyrim in the Dawnguard DLC they mentions how they used to use crossbows but they fell out of fashion till then. WHO THE FUCK WOULD STOP USING CROSSBOWS. The fact that nobody ever does anything but catalog dwemer artifacts nobody reverse engineers.

Even if it was like Nordic Society or the Kingdom of Sicily where they were progressive in women rights for the time they still weren't mens equals.

Completely irrelevant to most settings' mechanics. Beyond that, the single greatest benefit to being human I've ever seen in any game is the fact that humans get to pick an extra feat. Other than that, humans are repeatedly and deliberately shown to be wholly average compared to other, more exotic races.

If that's a metric for quality, then Orcs and Giants are the true master race. Bow down, tiny man-thing.

Largely dependent on the setting. For the most part, elves are in a state where they already ruled most of the world for a substantial length of time, and then lost or gave up their empire for various reasons. In those cases, humans are basically just the new kids on the block, the early Saxons and Italians to the elves' Roman Empire. See: Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, some Dungeons and Dragons settings, Everquest, Lord of the Rings, Warhammer, etcetera.

Scuttle off, memer; you won't be getting anything more than this post from me.

Also in these same games:

I think he means habitable planets. A planet that can support carbon-based life has to have a rather large biome diversity, because the biosphere changes rather drastically even with very small average temperature differences (10-15 Kelvin is NOT a very large difference on the cosmic scale, yet, it's a big deal for pretty much any biosphere on Eath, as far as average yearly temperature goes). And, of course, shit like a sandy planet having breathable atmosphere despite having apparently zero plant life is retarded as shit.

I HATE this, too, especially when there's lore in the game that says the world has been the same medieval shitheap for several thousand years straight. Fucking humanity evolved from goat herders to the masters of their fucking planet in 2000 years WITHOUT any magic. We are 7 motherfucking billion on this planet, draining it of its resources and building huge megapolises everywhere. Why the FUCK would a world supported by magic not evolve even faster? Medicine, chemistry, physics, astronomy, material technology, electricity/electronics, it should all be a piece of cake to discover and advance in a world that has people who can peer into the very essence of the physical reality.

At least Arcanum handles it well, in terms of magic defying and upsetting the laws of physics, thus halting any technological progress.

please don't post that SJW faggot who believes trannies should use whichever toilet they want

It's just a fucking reaction image you turbosperg.

please don't post that faggot who liked star wars the force awakens

*teleports behind you using ancient magics*
Nothing personel, kid
*Stabs you in the ass with a dildo-sword*
*teleports away*

please don't post that frenchie

Plenty of reasons.
The magic might cause fuck-ups.
Big disasters that rape current human progress (see: fall of Roman Empire)
Or progress may simple be slower in that setting because the races are dumber and less inventive.

Please don't post those letters

Part of the reason why noone reverse engineers Dwemer tech is because of 2 reasons.
1. It's heavily soul based, they don't even have the magitech capable of figuring the stuff out.
2. Dwemer metal is impossible to manipulate because everyone lost the secret to bend/melt it ages ago. What they have is what they're stuck with.
If you're about to bring up Dwarven Smithing in Skyrim, chalk it up to another example of lore rape in Skyrim.

I wanna be Medea's servant

This would be the primary reason - complacency. "It's good enough, we don't need anything beyond candle lights".

And this is why magic based societies tend to stagnate.

This was literally a non issue untill that fucking law.

It's worse with alien races, where the entire race gets generalised as being of a singular culture ignoring that it would be as diverse as humanity is. Plus ethnicities get completely ignored as the devs make everything in that race look exactly the same.

Fantasy settings often do have technology move faster. Avatar and Discworld both essentially went from medieval to post-industrial revolution in the space of a single lifetime. And so many fantasy settings show instances of technology that is better than our own (robots with sentient AI being the most common one), or do ditch the medieval setting altogether like in a lot of JRPGs.

What's more novel is when fantasy settings stick to the medieval setting but treat magic as some weird mysterious thing that few people have any actual knowledge of and proves to be too chaotic and unpredictable to be something that can be tamed as to advance technology. It's more believable that way and makes magic feel actually magical.

OP here, this guy gets what I mean.
You could blow holes and nit-pick into my sentences "waah earth is a water planet tho!" but you all know what I fucking mean.

I was also talking about magic in the way of enhancing everyday life like some firebending shit from Avatar. Why wouldn't magic based societies already have space travel if magic helped technology and physics n' shit along?

Also these niggers in the thread
Yeah, no shit asshole. Humans didn't NEED electricity or dishwashers either, and yet here we are.

Dude, I am not defending complacency, but that's the most probable reason for why people are stuck in medieval times with magic existing. It's a shitty excuse.

Imagine what Einstein could've thought of if spatial magic existed - people creating artificial wormholes and bending space-time through force of will? Holy shit, the implications on the theory of relativity!

You realize the Romans in 0 A.D. had already invented vending machines.
Want to know why they didn't continue this tech?
Because they didn't need it, slaves were cheaper.
It's the same with magic based societies, they'll prefer magic because it's cheaper even if it holds back technological development.

That's the point, why not let the world be inspired and pushed on by magic like that? A fantasy setting in modern times, kinda.
But no we won't ever get it because video games are creatively bankrupt.

There are several Shadowrun games, I suppose they qualify.

Wasn't Shadowrun kinda like that?

You want to have a setting with both Magic and Tech? How about this:

In a world where almost everyone has some ability to control magic, some people with exceptional talent end up ruling that world through force.

One such empire, filled with slaves, golems and the walking dead, started to collapse as many of it's citizens were poor and had no occupation as most of the physical labour had been taken up by slaves, golems or the risen. Disillusioned, many joined a cult started by a man with no ability in magic whatsoever, his presence even dampened it a little. He proclaimed that magic was holding their individual development back and stopping them from facing challenges that would allow them to grow personally. He showed that with a little ingenuity, the ordinary man could replicate magic with effort and he showed some miracles (Technology) such as a red stone that would light on fire when struck and a metal that was stronger and tougher than ordinary.

Anyone could join the cult, as long as they swore to never again use magic,

Eventually when the empire collapsed into two halves, the cult survived and spread through one half. It eventually became the state religion when one of the Mages used this technology to win a seemingly impossible battle.

The church eventually managed to grow a secret society within it of Mages who practice their sorcery in secret while the rest of the society used what little technology they had to the best of it's ability.

pls rate

Arcanum/10

i hate it and i hate everything Tolkien did
in every fantasy game i play
i see nothing but elfs and dwarfs with the same fantasy boring tropes

LoTR was a mistake.

Ayyyyy bruthurrrr.

Okay, maybe that's how it would go, but I think you're missing the point of complaining about stagnant magic societies stuck in medieval mode forever. The idea is that they could and/or should continue to advance via improving magic and its applications alone, thus achieving more advanced societies and standards of living thanks to better magic. Instead they have magic that can do amazing things, and magic's been around for hundreds to thousands of years, but everybody's still illiterate mud peasants.

Just like we did better thanks to technological advancement, you'd think fantasy societies could do better thanks to magical advancement. Magic's almost never a new thing in any setting, after all.

With that said, here's my personal complaint:

>no games set during the end of the modern world style status quo

I'd like to see more games in a modern day style setting where the gates to Hell or whatever are already wide open and nobody's gonna stop them, and people are dealing with their whole familiar concept of the world and what can and can't happen just completely falling apart. At best you get small groups of people stopping small outbreaks of demons or whatever from going global and things stay totally normal for 99.9% of the world. Or everything already fell apart years to centuries ago. It doesn't even have to be horribly grimdark everybody's getting killed stuff, I just want to see the world as we know it dealing with things that have no place whatsoever in the world as we know it. Some people roll with it, others completely fall apart, and so on.

The sorta closest think I can think of is Earthbound, but the problem there is that it wasn't exactly a serious setting before Giygas appeared either. It needs to be a totally realistic modern world setting where suddenly, across the globe, magic turned back on and mythical creatures popped out of thin air yesterday or something and that's where the game starts.

There was an anime with a plot similar to wwhat you're describing. "Gate" I think it was called. What happens in it is that a demon portal to a fantasy land opens up in modern Tokyo and the modern day army beats back the demons super one-sidedly.
I hate yet to read/watch it so I don't know if it's any good, though.

The books are okay (as far as manga written by some hardcore japan army fan can be). The anime ignore a lot of things but at least we got ride of the Valkyries helicopters charge.

It's not Tolkienism you dummy. While Tolkien certainly popularised many of the creatures they were a part of western mythology before and the real reason we see these shallow copies of the ones Tolkien used is thanks to Dungeons & Dragons. Most fantasy games have nothing substantial in common with Tolkien's works at all.

1993 called, think you're wrong.

I would love to play an RPG where magic was JUST discovered, and before that, the setting was just standard non-fantasty medieval or renaissance world. And then, holy shit, someone finds out they can throw fireballs. Bonus points if they had fiction and stories about magic just like in our world, but it was obviously not grounded in (their) reality.

If the army kicks the demons' asses handily, and it's all localized to one place in Japan, it sounds like the world isn't collectively dealing with things going crazy though. Life doesn't have to become terrible for everyone, but it does need to be different for everyone. The point is the entire world is now adjusting to a new (and previously assumed to be totally impossible) normal. Games are never set in that situation.

Yeah, that'd be cool too.

I think Dragon Age is pretty good in regards to magic and its affect on technology. Powerful artifacts found in the world all deal with magic and are dozen of years ahead in terms of advancement compared to the rest of the world (excluding Qunari and their military tech).

However the reason why it isn't adopted or used is because it's a sure fire way to cause civilizations to collapse beyond repair. The elves literally race-war'd themselves into near extinction because of magical infighting.

Worse yet is the Tevinter Imperium which was the most advanced empire to ever exist. They used blood magic and killed millions in their quest to continue pursuing more powerful spells and rituals that would grant them longer life and abilities far beyond their reach. Now they're so weakened internally they can barely stop the Qunari from invading.

It's pretty much like reinventing the wheel in a sense. Magical tech only progresses so far until people run out of understanding of the arcane and start doing drastic shit like blood magic and making pacts with demons to continue pushing it forward.

The fuck is that insult even supposed to mean

Only if the writers say so. It's not like anybody signed demonic pacts in real life to make the technological progress we have. I see no absolute objective reason magic research couldn't build on past magic research and keep progressing just like science and technology has done in real life.

not 100% true
i know that the elfs dwarfs orcs dragons etc… is part of the western mythology , but it was very under developed and very from place to place with little to no details

when tolkien made his own interpretation of the western mythology he rewrote a lot of it in his own style

there is a huge of different between pre-Tolkien "old Norse elves " and post-Tolkien elfs

so yeah every elf dwarf etc.. in gaming to day is a Tolkien elf not an old Norse elf

+sorry for my bad english

today*

eh

I'm not saying for every game, hence why I stated Dragon Age.

It's explaining why (to someone like OP) the world isn't filled to the brim with these benefits instead of just not doing it.

polyp |ˈpäləp|
noun
1 Zoology a solitary or colonial sedentary form of a coelenterate such as a sea anemone, typically having a columnar body with the mouth uppermost surrounded by a ring of tentacles. In some species, polyps are a phase in the life cycle that alternates with a medusoid phase. Compare with medusa.
2 Medicine a small growth, typically benign and with a stalk, protruding from a mucous membrane.

Yeah I knew that, I just assumed there was more to it than a weakly combined term that somewhat implies Holla Forums as a lower form of life. It's not a direct political attack or even a general insult. Some people really are bad at this.

You're wrong about the second half. Magic would make people even lazier than they are now. It would keep the world static.

Hey, it's more creative than [word]cuck generic insults.

i want to touch fluff's vagina fluff

Depends on how you envision it. If magic is an intellectual pursuit restricted to a small number of people (as is generally the case) then you'd be correct, since magic is then not widespread enough to make cultures advance, but it's certainly enough to make them opt for a mage instead of clunky contrivances. Plenty of settings, however, fuck around with magic (Arcanum, Shadowrun, Discworld etc).

You're part of the problem user. Please, kill yourself.
Also, the amount of planets with varied regions like earth is actually really small, so get fucked, fag.

Too bad those planets can't support life, retard.

You either adapt those planets for our needs or we adapt ourselves to those planets. But I don't expect someone that likes "REALISM™" to understand that.

Meant to
Also, it's a shame you want a boring planet such as earth, instead of a storm full gas giant like Jupiter, where you can only survive with vehicles or by being badass.

I kinda want to see a game about that now, it would take some serious imagination.

A survival game where you lose contact with the main base and have to survive on Jupiter?

Have you looked at our solar system? Earth is the only celestial body that has that much terrain diversity.

He said Jupiter wasn't liquid, you dumbass

Sure, or your ship is damaged and you get no choice or you are in the first team of explorators, anything really. Excuses are easy to find.

It's shit desu. Two seasons and i can count the fighting scenes with my fingers. It's 99% otaku-pandering and "JOIN THE GLORIOUS NIPPON ARMY NOW!"

I was thinking more like this scenario:
There are already several bases on Jupiter, yours being the newest and the smallest, therefore not self-sustaining yet.

Then, you lose contact with the main base, the biggest and where you get most of your supplies and now you are left stranded with your supplies slowly running out.

Gameplay would be about finding the smaller bases on your way to the big base to survive And to see if anything went wrong

And, big shock, earth is the only one with definite life on it.
fuck off, you know what I mean

I'd think if other planets in sci-fi were liveable and/or had life they'd be as diverse as earth. It also bothers me that whenever a certain alien race come from a planet the whole race looks the same and everyone has the same culture.

ITT: faggots misunderstanding what OP meant by realism

He didn't mean SO REALISTIC bullshit, he just meant some actual thought put into the world a game is trying to create, like pic related, and the other pic I don't have which is talking about Witcher 3's flora

Nevermind I'm a faggot

I wanted to call bullshit on you, but after a longer thought, I figured you're basically right. Although the reason for the shitty state of the world is not as much that they keep running into magic-based cataclysms, but rather after a while of those they completely stopped trusting mages, like, at all. If a mage came up to a bann and said "I'm gonna grow your crops at 1 000 000% speed" the guy would probably thing the mages are trying to poison him, kill his people and use their fat dead corpses to raise an army of evil.

I fucking hated Alien Planet for getting so much shit wrong, but even moreso for making the amoebic sea "aggressive" when the book clearly stated that all kinds of shit simply slept on it. It also fucking ruined the sea strider by cutting it in half as well as making the probes "the size of dump trucks" but with nothing to gauge their size against, making everything on the planet look fucking small

So either Subnautica or Rimworld but with miles upon miles of mostly featureless poo-gas instead of actual terrain?

Woo, good thing Metroid existed. it gave several alternate planets that had not just one environment.

it's such a shame that the series is so dead

The people who defend this also deserve to die slowly too

Let me provide my thoughts on that matter:

People are, on the average, quite average. The average man with a 100 IQ is not going to discover the cure to a horrible disease, or contribute much else besides some small amount of labor to the world. Those below him will do even less. Those above him will do gradually more, with the greatest geniuses bringing about inventions.

Now, consider: what happens if those geniuses were never allowed to pursue academics? What of the ones who are born as farmers, and only use their intellect to outwit the tax man? Or become criminals? On the converse, what about ones who take jobs outside of research, or have no interest in it? You are left with only a very small percentage.

Next, consider: how many things are there trying to kill humans in most fantasy settings? Generally a lot more, what with goblins, orcs, dragons, elves, and everything else. This constant fight for survival means humans have to be constantly innovating to some degree, but it also means that their population will be kept somewhat in check. If 1 in 1,000,000 men is a genius who can change the world, and there are 100,000,000 men, you get 100 changes; when there are only 1,000,000, then you get 1 change.

Final consideration: Why is it that nearly every game setting has mages with "INT" as their primary attribute? If magic-use requires intelligence to use and study, then it only stands to reason that many of those geniuses who would otherwise be inventing new technologies would instead be working to innovate with magic instead? Developing new spells and powers to be used, or crafting powerful magic items to fund themselves.

So given all of this, what do you have? A world where technology still progresses, but at a much slower rate. There's simply not enough competent people working in development. Of course, it still will happen. Just not as quickly.

Read this page:
da-vinci-inventions.com/davinci-inventions.aspx

Notice the date when all of these concepts were first proposed. Then look to see when they were actually invented. In some cases, it took three centuries just to turn a concept into something functional.

You don't just wake up one day and say "I'm going to design a machine" and then there's suddenly a machine there. You first need the idea, and then you need to actually put it into place. Just look at early 20th Century science-fiction if you want further proof of that. Do you see anyone living on moon bases with robot butlers? Because I don't.

There would certainly be some magical machines. But they would be a supplementary thing, replacing neither straight magic or technology.

Don't you mean: you want her to be your servant?

Then again…being bullied by her would not be so bad. Better than 99,99% of anime tsunderes anyway

I read Expedition as a child and ever since then basically every depiction of aliens has disappointed me.

The only game that even came close to the aesthetic presented in Expedition was Xenoblade X, but it's not nearly as good or well thought out.

I agree user. Even if these bodies maintained a stable Kepler orbit with each other like the Earth and the Moon (assuming combined mass, with each sharing similar focal points). The gravitational force these two would have on each other would be catastrophic, possibly self-destructing.

(F1 = F2 = Gm1m2/[r^2] )
Newton's law of universal gravitation

Assuming these are "earths".
r = 6.384 * 10^6 m (earth's radius)
m = 5.972 * 10^24 kg
G = 6.674 * 10^−11 (gravitational constant)

F = ( G * m^2) / ( 2 * r ) ^ 2
F = 1.460 * 10^25 kgm/s^2

Enough shear force to pull each other apart (and eventually combine into one planet) unless both planets were evenly made of a dense substance known as unobtainium which could withstand constant shearing.

I miss school, pls no bully
Polite sage

>seeing multiple star system in Spore for the first time

What a nerd.

Are you twelve?
This is basic mechanics from 8th grade

Kill yourself

Go back to 7th grade and have someone teach you what happens to gas when it's put under the extreme amount of pressure that exists on Jupiter.

Whatever,nerd.

>he doesn't want to impregnate a sexy queen bug and make his own empire of human-anthropods where you both rule as authoritarian monarchs until the queen eats you a day later

But that makes some sense
You don't need to develop technology, because you have fucking magic
And you don't need to develop better magic, because you already have fucking magic

And what exactly is your concern then?

Wait, so Jupiter isn't even solid?

Well, the center is probably so dense that it may as well be.

Just fucking drown me and let me die.

Yes, planets around carbon stars would be composed out of a shitload of carbon which would result in a crust made of diamond covered with a sludge of complex carbohydrates.

It's shitty writing only done to make you hate a character or nobility in general because they are the "evil nobles" and can therefore do absolutely anything with no consequence what so ever. It's even worse when some noble brat nobody likes does all this shit using soldiers recruited from the same area he is abusing and doesn't get stabbed in his sleep or trampled by his horse in a terrible "accident". Even more shitty writing points when they are extremely blatant about it and again suffer no real consequences because "EVIL NOBLES LOL".

So don't eat it or you'll get fat, got it.

That was supposed to read hydrocarbons. I should go to sleep.

It's almost as if most people have no idea about the name Elizabeth Bathory.

Point remains, you shouldn't eat it.

The error is more about the concept than It being skimpy

The plains don't have to be empty, just dot it with random encounters, wildlife, natural hazards and some pretty sky boxes and scenery. I wouldn't mind an adventure RPG that feels like a journey more than an adventure. fuck walking sims though.

It still has its uses. Even simple bows are cheap and easy to make, require only a moderate amount of training to aim properly, and can be used much more discreetly than magic (which tends to have flashy casting periods that would instantly give away someone's position to those who aren't complete idiots and have a vision range longer than a few yards.) They'd also be much more accessible than guns in a setting that has them; you'd literally just need a supply of wood and a minute amount of other materials to fashion a bow and arrows with. Creating a firearm (even the basic muskets and revolvers often seen in fantasy settings) would prove much harder.

A bow would be a poor / uneducated / ungifted person's answer to magic, depending on the setting. When you want to hurt someone at a distance, but you can't afford a firearm (which would usually be quite expensive in a fantasy setting), and have no magical aptitude (either due to it being a genetic thing, or often times, an education thing where mages are of a closed academic/convent kind of thing), a bow and arrow would prove to be cheaper, accessible, and still get the job done. It's a weapon that only requires eyesight and a good amount of strength to actually draw the bow enough to make that arrow matter (I will never get why dexterity factors more into bows than strength with most settings, but that's another post for another day).

I also believe the presence of magic would hinder technological development because it'd fill in most of the uses we'd seek out, especially for warfare. Why develop napalm if there's a way to launch a destructive plume of flame the same distance, for example? Would kevlar and protective materials still be highly sought out in a world where a spell can reduce the impact and harm of a strike? All this depends on the setting and how advanced/wieldy that magic is, but a creative writer could come up with a logical answer for those kinds of questions.

Actually the Earth is techically a silicon planet because that is what it's mostly made up of, like Mercury is an iron planet because that is what that's made up mostly. Ocean planet is actually a class of it's own much like a carbon planet.

it's not an insult. its just a name for them, same as Holla Forumsirgins for Holla Forums or /fit/izen for /fit/ or robot for /r9k/
this shit has been around for years before even the exodus so how new are you?

What is B.C.?

Imagine how much cooler our Solar system would be had mars been a habitable planet with life.

We could be enjoying coexistence (or war) with ayy lmaos right now

every planet has a breathable atmosphere
including the lava planets

Lightning has been known to strike twice

There are structures on the moon, it's just not widely publicized.

Shit stops by our sun all the time, just tune into any broadcast monitoring the damn thing or look up recordings of when particularly interesting shit showed up.

It isn't really necessary. Reminder that if shit sucks so bad here, imagine how much worse it'd be if something deigned to actually stoop to our level.

Unless you just want to shit-post with martians on the earth-mars space net.

This isn't lightning striking twice, this is lightning striking 44 times in the same exact place while a somalian ladyboy plays the drums nearby and times his hits exactly with the lightning crashes while playing Moby Dick

It would be cool

Well we can agree on that

yeah but its pretty gay that it turned out this way. we could be at war or trading with the martians expediting scientific development instead of having the higher ups squander everything that could be used for the good of intelligent life or at least humanity.

That's fucking nuts. If life could exist on a planet like Jupiter I would like to think it's would be floating marine life that could control electricity.

Technically speaking a laser would mark a sound since it always brake the barrier. Wouldn't be a pew pew but a bang most likely

Stop with this meme. If magic was real we would be still in a medieval shithole
What's quicker, learn and discover penicillins with fungus or just wiggle the wand and have the arm regen?

It's like you don't nuke planets from orbit or something.

I can understand why Star trek did it. But for fucks sake. It reeks of lazy writing. I bet they do it because you're le supposed to sympathize with them more or some shit. So it's easier to make them look, act and talk human, than merely entertaining the thought that these beings are supposed to have developed light-years away from anything remotely human.

This is realistic though.

This also makes sense since most modern technological advances are made out of necessity.

Even Mars has several distinct environments. Any planet that can support life should have quite a bit more diversity simply due to the presence of air and water.

>>>/furry/

interesting alien creature design = Furry

Humanized anthro ayys = Not Furry

Do you put your socks on your hands?

Lasers in general are one of the most inaccurate piece's of technology in Sci-Fi.

Sci-fi "lasers" are probably more like plasma weapons.

Also, the rapid expansion of heated air WOULD make a laser trail visible in atmosphere. It would also make a literal thunderclap, and of course travel at the speed of light.

user, it's been proven that Earth's multi-climate biome is extremely rare and anomalous for a planet in any solar system. Do some research beyond just "common knowledge" before you whine about shit.

And when the fucking hell will "Muh Realism in Gayms" die as a meme argument, do you not realize you sound word for word like a cunting feminazi yet?

no one climed up to Olympus because it was sacred and those that believed in the god thought that they would punish them for it.

this is the latest season of Game Of Thrones

i know that the rest of the season will be him getting his shit kicked in but come on he and his father should be dead and under constant rebellion after he stabbed the starks in the back.

such is the live in the witcher universe, and pretty much every other fantasy universe while we are at it

do you drink out of the toilet like the dogs you fuck?

If you're even still in this thread, do you have any books you could recommend on the subject?
I like to try and keep up with what I learned throughout school.

Sage for off-topic.

Maybe someday some vidya will get it right.

He's talking about what humanity did from 15,000 to 13,000 BC.

They're called "descent stages of the lunar landers and the probes we've sent". Anything else is your fucking mental illness.

Not possible by definition, user.

Fuck, left my sage on.

Nuclear missiles designed for reentry do not have fins. At 7km/s such things become pointless.

This is kind of hard to imagine but the pressure makes the gas just get thicker and thicker as you descend. It's definitely solid at the core, and definitely gas at the top, but there's no well-defined boundary in the middle.

By surface area, not by mass.

Compare to worlds where the oceans are hundreds of kilomters deep and only even have a floor at all because the freezing point has been raised so much by the extreme pressure.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_planet

I think the main reason devs don't do this is because it's easier to program and also makes planets more recognizable from the others. Stellaris seems to do what you want, with the planets having a tile system with each tile having different terrain.
For the people saying that magic would make society stagnant, I'm going to have to call bullshit. If that was the case, we never would have moved past the industrial age. In a living world of magic, people would look for even more deadly spells, better means of transport, and more luxury. People are greedy fuckers, they will always look for more ways to get more stuff.

The flayed man was actually their ancestral banner. They are descended from edgelords. The father was actually pretty chill to his people, but his bastard was the only who did all that shit. It was total bullshit that everyone went along with the kinslaying though. If it weren't for the fact that most of the houses were pretty messed up from the war though, there would be a lot more rebellions.

I'm pretty sure there were a few cases where some wizards tried to help peasents by making crops with better genes or weather control, but people got suspicious since the worst ones got more press. The local witches and shamans seem pretty cool though.

meet witch in the first area

also father of the faggot raped and murdered her would be husband for getting married without his permission. i think he upheld his family traditions just fine

honestly wouldn't be too out of place in Discworld.

How about when a single-person fighter engages in combat with another out in space, until one makes an attempt to escape on a planet, thus bringing them both into the atmosphere?

single person fighter not "twinked" to either operate in an atmosphere or out of one?

its like you want to drag dead weight in order for what? facilitating deserters? it makes no scene for a space fighter to have anything but rockets on it for outer space movement the moment you throw wings and some jets on it your just adding dead wight to it witch i guess is why it had to run like a bitch.

Skyrim literally has a race war between nords and everyone else with the background of high elves acting like supernatural space kikes
What the fuck are you talking about?

Let us say for the sake of argument that magic could somehow develop to be more grandiose and in your face like in fiction as opposed to the more subtle forms you'll find in the world today practiced by those who genuinely believe in it. The main reason we don't see that would be precisely because the knowledge of magic was always hidden as a rule to prevent its abuse or to prevent one group from losing their prestige for having exclusive access to this knowledge/power. Which means that if magic does have that potential here in the real world the only explanation, besides the typical response that it's just all bullshit, for why we don't see that potential realized is because the development of magic was stunted by this elitist & occult ethos.

It would make sense then for a society that depends on such a single science which only a small group of people are allowed to learn would be less developed with far greater disparity in the knowledge of the mages and the knowledge of the masses when it came to that science. Not even in our world was magic ever treated as a democratic science and to the extent that even chemistry, medicine, metalworking and other sciences we take for granted today were considered magic or a part of mysticism themselves by the society, knowledge of these things too was restricted and often mixed in with the stuff we might call magic.

Most magic shit in fantasy is the way it is because writers don't take magic itself seriously anyway so they're not trying to do things "realistically". If we accept the premise that magic is real and becomes more powerful as more time is devoted to it by those who truly know it, then the only "realistic" scenario would be a situation where magic has developed to such powerful levels but is the exclusive property of the mage guilds who ruthlessly protect their secrets from the masses and rival guilds

earth is in a goldilocks zone, has a magnetic core and rotates.
it might surprise you to learn that most planets in the universe actually do only have one biome.

what's to say that the game just isn't in that time period of the world? why must the game be equal to our modern age?

you're autistic

Nigger please. Sentient life, maybe, but life is going to be pretty fucking common, assuming most yellow dwarfs have even half as many rocky planets as ours does.

If a planet in the Goldilocks zone ends up covered in water (and thus, a fuckhuge primordial soup) during its early stages, like Earth, then life is all but assured.

Yeah, and how much life do they have?

We could have fun but NO NO NO

space game
its 140 meters a second

i mean i know why real space combat would be fucking submarine warfare trying to get a lock on the enemy before they got a lock on you then nuking them with auto aimed missiles/rail gun/lazor as faggots zoom around orbit

The Boltons flay their enemies, not their own people. Nobody really cares if you torture your enemies.

I think it's more than that m80, On average it's between 65-70%

Actually a difference in colors would be obvious to any alien life that has a slight understanding of biology or taxonomy, that there are different subspecies of humans.

Besides that, nobody would mistake an irishman for a human being anyways.

Also flaying was done in real life and people didn't desert their leaders over it.

true master race when?

you have an interesting point of view though user

or

Just breaks my immersion hard, man.

why didn't they just revive her with a phoenix down?

Why would you even have those in space combat?
They'd be highly inefficient

just kill me now

To play devils advocate.
Most readily available tech we have right now is either forced into public domain or someone stole the tech and made it public use. I'd say yhe same would happen with magic.

This just ties into every game's protagonist being a special snowflake demigod in comparison to their peers.
Pretty much every game's plot revolves around your dude achieving the impossible, especially the AAA garbage-fests, and making it actually near-impossible would void the audience.

Why even have it in the game?

Well there sure is no higher form of life than a bunch of NEETs that do nothing productive and whine about race all the time while jerking each other off, amirite?

Back to Reddit, MGTOW.

wtf is that supposed to be?

Form should follow function.

your mom's pussy is a sandy planet

no it's not retard. oxygen exists naturally in the universe without plants.

you can rationalize a static magical world by considering it tends to be a very elitist element. science has a different dynamic. here's the thing about science: it's very accessible.

think of it this way: guy invents the first car. once it hits mass production, eventually anyone can have one.

how about the reclusive wizard in his tower? he just perfected the art of teleportation. cool! but what does that mean for you? were you born with the very rare talent to manipulate magical energies? no? fuck off.

that's the way I see it. sure you can bring up enchanted items and whatnot, but again, the creation of those hinges entirely on a few very talented individuals, making them both scarce and super expensive. magic cannot be mass-produced.

Two games I can think off the top of my head that had societies that used magic to advance (and float) their city was Zeal from Chrono Trigger and Neo-Vane in Lunar 2: Eternal Blue. However, it wasn't exactly from MAGIC that everyone could cast but the energy they harnessed from other sources. (Lavos, black dragon aura)

In Guilty Gear they pretty much made some clean steam punk looking world using magic.

If games didn't do this then you would feel like every planet was the same, because you saw it all on your starting planet. The truth is that most planets which are not Earth like, which is most of them, are very samey.

The same reason slave labour prevented Rome from industrializing, and ultra cheap serfs prevented China from industrializing. When you have an easy way of getting work done, there is no need for technological advancement.

That's for KO not dead. :^)
It's a bullshit excuse.

Tolkein elves pretty much are Norse elves, though. Norse light elves (especially in Iceland) were basically mysterious, beautiful humans skilled at magic who lived in another world from humans and were associated with the Vanir and the natural world; German and Anglo-Saxon elves were the squat little demons with malicious intentions. Pop-culture elves are pretty much 100% D&D.

holy fuck the new on you is too evident

No, it is you who needs to go back.

Mars is just deserts
Jupiter is just gas
Mercury is just dust

Fuck off with that shit. While it's not readily apparent to us pretty much any planet with an atmosphere has a multitude of environments. Most people don't recognize this because they're very different and all inhospitable compared to Earth. Mars has frozen regions on its poles and (relatively) wet regions near its equator. Venus we don't know much about because of its incredibly thick atmosphere and hellish conditions, but it definitely has its regions of volcanic activity and inactivity. Titan is the most interesting to me. It's the only moon with a thick atmosphere and it's also remarkably similar to Earth. It's the only other body in the solar system to have standing bodies of liquid, though unlike Earth's oceans of water Titan is covered in methane lakes. Methane ice covers its poles and it rains methane as well. To an outside observer who has lived in a very different environment to Earth it might look as homogenous to them as we would think their planet looks to us.

Like how people say all asians look the same.