RTS games

I love this genre, want to make sure I play everything worth playing. Talking specifically about the campaigns here.. Throw in your suggestions and opinions.

Elder god tier:
Warcraft 3 and TFT

God tier:
Homeworld, Homeworld Cataclysm, Starcraft & Broodwar, Age of Mythology, Red Alert 2

Great tier
Dawn of War, Tiberian Sun, Supreme commander

Good tier
Age of Empires 2, Kohan, Homeworld 2, Total Annihilation, Warzone 2100

OK Tier
Earth 2150, KKND:Krossfire

Other urls found in this thread:

wz2100.net/
youtube.com/watch?v=Jgm4-m-4WPg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's a strategy game that takes place in real time. Yeah, it's an RTS.

You do realise that a huge number of RTS campaigns feature 'hero' units with regenerating health, or higher HP and attack power etc, right?

You do realise a low unit count doesn't make the game NOT an RTS…right? Dawn of War and Company of Heroes had functionally low unit counts and they were excellent. Even Ground Control and World in Conflict, which don't even have base building, are excellent strategic games with relatively low (and often unre-inforceable) unit counts.

In short, get fucked.

WC3 was a pretty bad RTS though.
Well it was fun but certainly not deserving of anything about Good.
Custom maps were better than the game itself.

Name some better campaigns than WC3, and then let me know how to get hold of what you're smoking.

Battle Realms has one of the more replayable campaigns for an RTS where you can make several medium impact choices to decide the outcome. The games alright, not great, but definitely worth while.

CS:GO is my favourite RTS!
Warcraft 3 is my favourite MOBA!
No, seriously, stop using literal interpretations of the fucking words to define what you put into the genre.

You play fighting games for the story too?

What, RTS games shouldn't be expected to stand on their own as a single player experience? If they are relying 100% on their multiplayer only, then they probably shouldn't be sold for money, or at least no more than $20.

Doesnt WC3 here get shit for casualizing RTS's

MOBA can be any game with online multiplayer though.

Warcraft 3 was my favorite MMO tbh fam

If you look at the literal definition of the name, sure. But if we look at the literal definition RTS, all you need to do is play a game in real time that has any element of strategy (fighting games, team shooters). If we look at the literal definition of RPG, all you need to do is play a role in a game.

Gotta read outside of the lines.
Actually, these definitions are bullshit anyways

You better mean literal definitions are bullshit nigger because there are pretty clearly defined focuses on the genres, fighting games are not so much about the strategy you use as the focus is to beat the living shit out of the Jigaboo you're playing against.
Terms like MOBA are retarded though because they literally say nothing about the game other than it's multiplayer and you're killing people.

Is Dark Souls a fighting game?

They should literally just say dota-clone, because that's what everyone actually means. It'd make LoLfags ass blasted as fuck though, so it'll never happen.

Fuck outta here you idiot.

nice dubs

Serious lack of WARLORDS BATTLECRY on that list.

It's up front and center, ontop of everything and it is the least detailed thing in the picture.

Oh. I am among children now. I'll be leaving.

Ok then. Off you fuck.

so many fags in this thread, jesus christ who knew the genre was a magnet for retards.

Yes WC3 is an RTS. you know what, so is starcraft.

go play that OP. it's actually pretty fun

wz2100.net/
Well, have any of you tried this? I think I catched an user saying it had interesting mechanics. I am almost braindead in this genre, but I am willing to try it with a group of people (we have no overlap in the RTSs we have played) ; as soon as I get a mouse that doesn't die on me every 2 minutes at least.

Gonna have to agree with this user
Warcraft 3 was god tier at most, Not many games can attain the title of elder god tier
Although Warcraft as a game in itself was good, it was the mods that put it into god tier

Fuck if i can remember what tft stands for though

Best slav RTS coming through.

You fucked up, nigga.

why is OP such a faggot?

I fucking loved the sequel
Its a shame that the AI needed to cheat in order to win battles
Also The small unit count could have been better
And the teams weren't balanced, by that i mean that mirkwood archers(?) were ungodly op, literally could take on any other army and win

But thats the sequel, i never played the first one

Try the Edain mod for bfme, that shit is legit.

CoH2 should be on that list. CoH had great micro and CoH2 now that it has actually been balanced and they added more factions is actually better than CoH1.
Yeah this is still shit.

>Age of Empires 2, Kohan, Homeworld 2, Total Annihilation, Warzone 2100

Oh dear.

I also note a distinct lack of Stronghold, Cossacks and most C&C games.

Oh and if RTT is fine also check out Blitzkrieg and Men of War.

Graviteam Tactics if you're more autistic but that's not for everyone.

If we're counting mods, few games will even compare to WC3.

It's true that Warcraft 3 doesn't have a lot of variation, the missions where you have to hold a point for 30 minutes are particularly annoying; it's a common thing for RTS campaigns to fall in the same category of repetitiveness, since for some reason people are content with "build big base, swarm enemy" for 30 single player missions

With that said, Starcraft 2 has the best RTS campaign of all time

torrent sc2 legesy of the void
so fucking glad i didn't pay for it
needed to beat it, it was bothering me

OP is an RTT faggot yet again.

could have been better, only redeemable by its fan service

you're right there
would have been better if she was a dissenting voice

1/10

I never finished the 'epilogue'
I was a huge blizzdrone and loved starcraft
Everything just became too uninteresting to continue
ded game

But the majority of mods on warcraft really cant be put in the RTS genre
Also the game did suffer several limitations even with custom maps, 12 units selecr ect…
A few maps tried to counter this, but by far most of them kept it

Also the game would lag heavily if too many units were present
Also only 12 players
Also the most popular custom maps werent RTS as well

you play 3 missions as each race

you find god as a protoss
you protect kerrigan (rerun of "the dig" mission) as god fills her with his essence as a terrer
you lead kerrigan killing amon as zerg

credits

2 years latter

also felix messing around with the consistency of the lore as far as what he would know
blizzard going full tumbler tier with whatever he wants to identify as becoming king of the "free" cybermen

>then a bunch of other irreverent side characters that got added in to fill slots to pritty much copy paste the characters from wings of liberty but Prottos

It's Fenix. Or is this a new character?

Also

Warcraft 2 was better than 3 and Age of Empires II was better than Age of Mythology

you play 3 missions, one as each race in the epilogue

sorry i messed that up

Fenix sorry tired diden't want to look up the actual spelling

No.
the campaigns were really cool though

I don't know the statistics, but the map selection was a smorgasbord. RTS or not, some maps were pure, condensed fun.

Only if you include the custom maps, because TFT's editor is what all RTSes should strive for

It's not a "clone", it's an android with a legendary warrior's memory implanted. This whole identify thing makes sense because RoboFenix feels lost, being merely a replica, and having been originally confused as being real Fenix, he eventually decides that while he has Fenix's memories he is pretty much usurping his name, and picks a new name for himself and decides there is nothing wrong in being a machine replica and he can just be himself without any Fenix baggage later on.

The preserver was in fact very reasonable from beginning, also her line of thinking wouldn't differ much from Artanis one if she was re-awakened before Starcraft 1 Protoss campaign, things just changed too much with necessary alliances with Terrans and all that.

He never talks about slavery, don't make up bullshit, all Protoss rely on machinery for labour. He just talks about might making right and how the strongest ones deserve the most power. Despite his blatant edgyness he ends up surprisingly reasonable.

Well, yes, this and this whole preserver thing? This actually makes sense. Protoss were a mysterious race back in Starcraft 1 and Brood War, but as series moves on they just can't remain like that forever, especially after such an intimate campaign as LOTV. It's not even as much of progressivism politics as the mere fact having Terrans and Zerg develop while Protoss stay the same for so long is kinda stupid, not to mention as lore has showed Protoss have severely underused their technology and aren't very efficient, even Terrans are catching on with their rapid advancement, Marauders even create tiny black holes with their weapons for fuck's sake!

Yeah, well, war is devastating for all three sides, Brood War happened only because a fourth side got involved and possessed a treat to absolutely everyone, and peace lasted after the war too. Plus we're talking about the galaxy here, there's enough space for all three races to expand without interfering. Protoss don't care about expansionism so the biggest thing they may do is just repopulate some of lost planets like they did with Aiur, Zerg only care about perfection of their own kind so they'll only be interested in hellworls to evolve on, something Terrans wouldn't care about as economy is their main criteria in expansionism and more tame and safe planets will be their priority. There is literally zero reason to fight for any of races!

Say what you want about the epilogue, it was obviously rushed, and the whole premise of ancient evil god of destruction is retarded, but LOTV has the best writing out of all Starcraft 2 games. HOTS was the bottom of the writing in both character motivations and writing quality, and WOL is no better.

Just like Kingdom Hearts 1 was had the best writing in the series, it was all absolute shit.

It's a shame it also has some of the worst writing and cannot be wrong choices.

After I pirated wings of puberty I dropped it and never looked back.

This is absolutely true, SC2 still pales in comparison with Brood War, but LOTV, unlike WOL and HOTS, had actually decent writing.

Why have AI in games not progressed that much?

shilling Tzar and Metal Fatigue

Because AI is hard and most modern RTSes are gookclick.

That's not entirely true
What about greygoo?
checkmate
thread
i hope to god you can understand this is sarcasm

Ahaha you must be retarded, Grey Goo is the gookclickiest gooclick of all time.
Just kidding, I got it

shiggy

You should see the dawn of war 3 forums.

There is a retard explaining how RTS must be centered on multiplayer because starcraft 2 is his favourite game.
And he is writing huge gigantic autistic posts.

I wouldn't say it casualized RTS's. It took unit management from the spotlight and instead gave it to heroes, abilities and hard unit counters. It added an additional level of depth to the game, but it increased micro management. also AoE 1 and 2 should be at least god tier

You mean god tier right?
Its definitely not elder god tier, its good but its got alot of flaws, some of which are arguably good
Its definitely above good though

Say it aint so user

I like Yoko Taro games but I would never be so retarded to claim they are ELDER GOD TIER and put them over games with actually good gameplay

It's just a faggot that spergs the same shit each time an RTS thread is mentioned. I think it's a German faggot actually as well, in which case I may have his steamid :^)

Lost Souls was shit in terms of campaign balance, but you can fuck right off.

While the gameplay was fantastic, many great features like bridges were underused, and the difficulty was absolutely unfair - not "git gud" tier, but "cheesing is the only option".

Have you played the TA campaign? It's good but pretty samey, certainly not god tier.

Total Annihilation was the shit! You could reclaim busted units for resources, units could take damage from trees and shit that were on fire, and naval units were the biggest and most autistic read: fun thing.

Human horse riders > Elven archers

no terrans will remember the screams of their loved ones as they are torn apart from the zerg
they will forgive the protoss for purging unclean worlds with blue fire

the zerg will seek to survive on barren worlds rather than test themselves in the fire of conflict
they will not seek to consume all life remove all threats to their survival

the firstborn protoss that suffered the most in the conflict will be strong enough not to be consumed by the tal'darim or the dark templar
their society that was dependent upon the khala will continue as they are forced to abandon sacred tradition and the power that made them great
their long lives will not simply delay their population growth making them uncompetitive from a military/economic standpoint with the other races for literal centuries if not millennia

but you want to know why i'm really pissed about it. it kills the series. their is no longer any lore reason for their to be any conflict in what was traditionally a rather grim-dark universe. their will never be another sc game without a major reboot. i mean i don't want blizzard to make one but now the title is dead blizzard beat it to death with shitty writing and shitty multiplayer. they killed it when they decided that they where going to release it in 3 fucking parts so they could spend more time on cut scenes. they drug the game out to the point where the fan base just couldn't care anymore and when they realized it they just said fuck it we are killing this universe. we got to go make overwatch and see how much money we can squeeze out of wow.

there will never be a starcraft game made by people who want to make games again, just executives that want to squeeze dry a tittle for whatever they can then salt the earth that no one can do anything with it again

They fucking wage wars against their own kind more than against Protoss and Zerg. Guild wars, rebellion against Mengsk, Protectorate, all those minor conflicts.

Yeah well Zagara is a bit to servile to Kerrigan which is a life loving and giving hippie now, wouldn't expect zerg to make anything cool here.

Yeah, I don't mind this, you often see humans change a lot in sci-fi as series advance, but ayy species rarely progress their society because when it comes to fictional civilization the writers always rely on the race's shtick so hard they're uninteresting beyond it. Meanwhile toss have managed to survive all this writer abuse intact, so… I guess they are a pretty cool race no matter what.

>but you want to know why i'm really pissed about it. it kills the series. their is no longer any lore reason for their to be any conflict in what was traditionally a rather grim-dark universe. their will never be another sc game without a major reboot. i mean i don't want blizzard to make one but now the title is dead blizzard beat it to death with shitty writing and shitty multiplayer. they killed it when they decided that they where going to release it in 3 fucking parts so they could spend more time on cut scenes. they drug the game out to the point where the fan base just couldn't care anymore and when they realized it they just said fuck it we are killing this universe. we got to go make overwatch and see how much money we can squeeze out of wow.
Now this I absolutely can't disagree with, Blizzard can't make a proper story that doesn't involve some epic world-destroying evil since creating WoW. I bet if they ever decide to create a sequel to SC2 or any other game they won't be able to write it without resorting to asspulls on par with those they pull off in WoW expansions.

Also, get over it, all great series die. Command and Conquer is dead. Many great titles died without a sequel or expansion. They had their run, now I'd rather hope for new titles with own plot and characters to pop up than wish for a next reboot or sequel not to end up a disaster.

There's still the UED

Please no, I don't want them to fuck over the last remaining thing I loved about the franchise.

It sets the stage perfectly for a Starcraft MMO…

MMOs are dead and Blizzard should realize this more well than anyone else. A F2P action Warframe-style? That's likely, but definitely not an MMO.

investors saw the success of wow

suits don't know its dead, probably think that the moment wow ends their must be a new mmo cash cow to milk subscription money from or their stocks with plummet and pressure will be placed upon the company to prevent this from happening and they will be forced to repeat the same formula wither that will be with a new franchise or a dead horse drug out from behind the barn is the real question. and they only have one dead horse behind the barn and that is starcraft.

Warcraft has loads of mission variation though, more so than any other RTS. I'm amazed you can claim otherwise.

Even the base building missions themselves have variation, where you can be controlling two or three groups/factions simultaneously and be fighting anywhere up to 5 enemy factions simultaneously. Given the number of unique factions is 5, maybe more, and you play with 5 factions, there's also immense variety in play style that most RTS games can't touch (since often differences are fairly minor, like age of empires 2, for example).

The lead up to the mission proper and structure of these missions also varies considerably. One mission you have a small window to damage an enemy base as much as possible before dawn. Another you race against the clock to destroy the enemy base before they cut through a forest.

Optional side quests and hero growth throughout the campaign also adds variety.

Yeah, you have timed " survive missions, but those are awesome. You have missions to hold multiple objectives simultaneously. Missions within missions, where you have to complete a remote objective with your main hero while fighting an enemy with your main base.

One mission has you racing to kill 100 humans before the enemy does. Another requires you to build up a certain amount of resources. Then you have the numerous, very well done diablo type/dungeon crawler missions.

I love the WC3 campaign and its story and design, but it's not tactically rewarding enough. I recently replayed the campaign on hard (Don't really recommend it, it doesn't scale well. Many levels are more or less the same, a few are reasonably more challenging, but some are so badly hard that you'll be forced to use cheese tactics) and the solution to most levels was to mass a single type of unit (notably frost wyrms, a flock of them will destroy everything).

No, I'm sure suits have functioning brains and are aware of both WoW subscriber count steadily decreasing and many other MMO titles falling even if they're based on super popular franchise like Elder Scrolls or Star Wars and developed by competent Blizzard competitors.

I'm sure they're looking into more simple multi-platform titles like Heartstone instead.

My favorite vanilla Alliance mission for sure.

did the last mission even really matter? if iladin controlled all the pillars him and arthas would have just 1v1'ed inside the same that happened when you opened the front door. mission would have made more scene if it was stop the door form opening until after you thinned iladins forces removing sea lizards and fag elves. then executing iladin then you know opening up the fucking door.

My african american.

i don't disagree with you.

a sc mmo could work if it cut out all the grinding bullshit and just made it a watered down eve online for non autists. with you know action based combat rather than just watching cool downs.

but as you said they gutted the golden goose and killed mmo's witch is why it is dead. because kikes will be kikes

MMOs aren't fundamentally dead. The genre still holds the potential to be a bigger cash cow than any other except mobile; it's just been kiked into the ground.

There hasn't been a MMO worth playing since vanilla WoW, and there were only two others worth the time before that. Even Holla Forums is so desperate for MMO content that it defends the first two WoW expansions.

The genre isn't dead – the industry and the business culture of this country are so toxic that you can't get decent leadership on a giant multimillion dollar project. The way EverQuest and WoW were destroyed are both laughable in the scope of the incompetence. You couldn't hire a single smart person with your hundreds of millions, really? Years went by with nothing but bad decisions, and nobody got fired.

The state of MMO gaming is a reflection of the state of Western culture in general. You can't make a $200 million game without involving Jewry, so much like in Hollywood, only the safest paths are open. Even worse than Hollywood, though, is that there was never a golden age from before the society was fully perforated by parasites of big-budget videogames directed by auteurs from which to draw your design conventions.
What you wind up with is very expensive oatmeal, and it's harder to sell that as a subscription service than it is in a one-off. Thus movie-length AAA games and mobile shovelware dominate.

It doesn't mean MMOs are an unsustainable model. If you had Jew money and human work ethic and business sense, you could do what WoW did and more. As with most of the problems currently facing us, step 1 is to empty the cranial cavities of several million hooknosed internationalists and to seize their assets so humans can once again rule in the affairs of humans.

But I don't get all this hate for Starcraft 2. I didn't even try the game until a couple of years ago because of Holla Forums telling me it's the worse thing ever created by humans, but I gave it a go and honestly it's my favorite RTS at the moment. 3 distinct races, lots of interesting units, really dynamic combat that depends on unit compositions, formations, flanking, and special abilities. Especially with the new expansion which made it even better than SC1 in my opinion. With all the new area-control units and heavy splash damage you can't just create deathballs you have to spread and play tactically, and with the new economic system, you can't turtle on 2 or even 3 bases you have to expand a lot which means more area to protect, forcing you spread out your armies into different areas.

And the campaigns are much better designed gameplay-wise compared to the original which had pretty boring levels.

I can understand not liking a game, but it doesn't make the game bad, it's just not for you.

Check out these finals:
youtube.com/watch?v=Jgm4-m-4WPg skip to 45:40 to begin the game

I'm just joking about the MMO because I think it would probably be the cruelest thing they could do to the franchise

The worse part is that even if you were joking there is a very real possibility Blizzard will attempt to do that in the future

meant for>>9458907

Jokes are funnier when they're tinged with real fear

sage for OT

WC2 was better tbh fam

I loved WC2, especially the fucking superb OST, but come on user. WC3 added so many quality of life improvements on that game, but the main difference is that WC3 has 4 completely different factions, with fairly good balance, whereas WC2 has basically mirror factions with minor differences (basically spells) between both factions.

Naval combat and oil resource were pretty pimp though.

it marked the start of the decline in the franchise

Completely irrelevant to whether or not the game is any good and stands on its own merits.

It could be responsible for the holocaust. Doesn't mean it wouldn't still be a good game.

I'm still waiting for a valid point here…

Curious, does anyone play WoW on rebirth or kronos?

No.
Most games, especially head-to-head ones like RTS are best played against other thinking, learning, and adapting humans rather than a static and unchanging AI. The AI has a place to help you learn the basics (like Arcade mode in a fighter), but it shouldn't be absolutely necessary.

look my fondest experiences gaming are matches of sc bw at lan parties

but to say that i never enjoyed single player experiences of those games, yea they have a limited replayability value but they are also important for teaching the player how to play. what units are good in certen situations how to build bases what type of worker saturation is good. how to counter battlecuisers/ nukes introducing the tec tree a mission dedicated to each level and a final mission to show how each level can work together. and guess what i'm going to say that the story had value. it wasn't the best story but it was worth my time and i got invested in it.

We can agree though that single player campaign is just the cherry on top of the multiplayer RTS banana sundae though, right?

but its not just that.

it is nessisary that it exists as an extended tutorial to teach people how to play.

witch is why sc2 sucks so fucking bad as the campain utilses units and buildings that function diffently than they do in multiplayer. meaning that the lessons learned by playing the caimpain are lessons that are wrong. and do not trainsfer into multiplayer. this is why everything had to be nerffed. people dident play the campaind to learn to use and more importatly counter nukes. so nukes had to be nerffed to shit. this happend to every type of specialty unit in the game that diviated form the established metaball stratagy built around silver level play, that most players are suposed to get to and stay there. the core gamplay of rock papper sisors where reduced to mass stalkers and blink spam. or MMM ball roach massing to roach-hydra massing if they have air. splitting your army is seen as stupid as fuck and all your supposed to do is ram your ball into their ball and hope your units counter each other. then they started catering to micro play and allowed a handful of rushes to work. none of these strategies come from the campaign. except stalker massing witch is all you have to do in legacy of the void and in the end all we have left is a handful of meta strategies that emerged exclusively from multiplayer witch forces a far simpler set of allowed strategies.

try typing Starcraft. With your left hand. Starcraft Starcraft Starcraft.

Feels good, right?

How else would you type it? Are there people in [current year] that don't use the asdfjkl;? Do they still just use two index fingers to type and stare at their keyboard to find each letter too?

wrong thread